• UsedToBeHusky
    UsedToBeHusky Posts: 15,229 Member
    Options
    I5FZM.gif

This gif is adorable! I WANT IT!
  • banks89202
    Options
    Your are very welcome! :happy:
    But if you really think of smothering your kids like that... dont have any..... :indifferent: sorry I am direct and honest... but just dont....

So wanting my children to not get shot by gang members and to eat healthy is smothering, then what kind of parent should I be? Suuuuure, eat all the fatty foods you want and then dance in the middle of traffic at night. I wouldn't want someone on the internet to think I'm no fun! :/

Okay stop the bull.. I grew up in one of the worst cities in America.. East St. Louis IL..if you've never heard of it Google it...we'd trick or treat in a better neighborhood because my area wasn't the best.. I'm really glad you don't have children..your way of thinking is way off...continue to let your eggs stay on strike.. gangs..poverty..and etc.. was all apart of my childhood but NEVER would my mom had said "no hun I think you'll get shot tonight so we're gonna 86 all holiday traditions and fun things that go on outside our 4 walls" Grow up..and I'm quite sure when you have kids your logic will change (or I hope it does)..when we don't have kids we have a tendency to say what "we're not going to do" but then we realize when we don't have children we really didn't know that the heck we were talking about anyway.

^^^^^LOVE
  • sarahharmintx
    sarahharmintx Posts: 868 Member
    Options
    W(here)TH is OP????
    My thought exactly...
  • PRMinx
    PRMinx Posts: 4,585 Member
    Options
    Even if I'm there with them, they can still get hurt. There have been so many kids shot and killed on Halloween night in my area because of stupid gang fights and such. I would rather have my kids live and be healthy than have ****ty candy and increase the risk of them dying.

Why not just drive them somewhere more safe?

That would be boring! What's Halloween without gangs and gun shots? Duh!

Personally, I like a little street violence with my obesity snacks. :devil:
  • gwenette
    Options
    YES!!! Why make your kids miss out on something that is only once a year, and that you can only do for so long. I would never make my kids suffer for me being over weight and not having self control!! Probably the meanest thing i have heard on here. I try to be all nice and supportive but on this one- I mean seriously its ridiculous and i would never put me wanting to do something before my KIDs!!
  • banks89202
    Options
    [/quote]

[/quote]

ROFL!!!!
  • gwenette
    Options
    Even if I'm there with them, they can still get hurt. There have been so many kids shot and killed on Halloween night in my area because of stupid gang fights and such. I would rather have my kids live and be healthy than have ****ty candy and increase the risk of them dying.

Why not just drive them somewhere more safe?

That would be boring! What's Halloween without gangs and gun shots? Duh!

I always took my kids to family and friends.. you might really wanna think about where your living...yikes
  • ZoeLifts
    ZoeLifts Posts: 10,347 Member
    Options
    I5FZM.gif

This gif is adorable! I WANT IT!

This is one of my favs. I originally posted it in response to someone elses post, but now I have decided that I imagine that it is when the OP's kids are told she is going to Zumba instead of taking them trick or treating.
  • homerjspartan
    homerjspartan Posts: 1,893 Member
    Options
    W(here)TH is OP????
    My thought exactly...

Sitting back and laughing at the sh!tstorm she created.

This isn't that bad though. It is worse that I am telling my kids that Santa isn't coming because the Lions can't seem to cover at home.
  • ZoeLifts
    ZoeLifts Posts: 10,347 Member
    Options
    W(here)TH is OP????
    My thought exactly...

at zumba
  • BeingAwesome247
    BeingAwesome247 Posts: 1,171 Member
    Options
    I'm considering not letting my kids trick or treat at all (when I do have kids) because it's too unsafe to have them walking around at night, all for candy that will just make them fat anyway.

They aren't alone, you are with them. In regards to candy, I do not let my children gorge on candy never have never will. They get to eat 2 pieces when they come home and get one treat a day for a specific amount of time and that is it. You control what they get don't kill it for them. being an adult is ****ty and no more innocent fun. Let them enjoy being kids.

That sounds like a lovely idea...if I can get the father to cooperate and not sneak them candy when I'm not looking. Training him to eat well will be harder than getting the kids to eat right. *sigh*

You know what ruins your childhood? Getting really overweight when you hit puberty and no one wants to be your friend because of it. I don't want my kids to go through the same thing as I did. :(

ah yes husbands…
    Sorry I wasn't aware that your area was so dangerous, that is terrible!
    Remember this for when you become a parent, you control what your children eat, give them healthy foods and they will always make healthy choices. I am so sorry you had a rough childhood :(

Yeah...my cousins don't even trick or treat anymore because of it. Then again the youngest just turned 12 so she's about the right age to grow out of it. I think it's illegal for people over the age of 12 to trick or treat in certain areas.

Right. Hopefully my bf assimilates to my eating style without too much struggle but considering he's a beer and wings kind of guy...it's gonna be hard. >.<

It's okay. It's bad enough to have Aspergers but to be fat too? People avoided me like the plague. It got better in college where the people were smarter in general.
    When you have kids, tell them each year you are going to go on an adventure and take them to a safer neighborhood. Kids don't get fat from one night. You can always go with the ideas given to this woman--tell the kids ahead of time that the majority of their trick or treating will be to help out with a good cause. Let them keep some of the candy and then take them in their costumes to a nursing home or a children's home and dole out the rest.

...yeah, good luck finding a safer neighborhood. The neighborhoods that used to be safe no longer are.

Hmmm...hopefully they'll go along with that. >.<

1. If it's so dangerous, why don't you move?
    2. Just reading what you wrote makes me think your kids are going to have an eating disorder w/o a doubt.

I can hear it now, "Don't eat that - you'll end up fat!"
    There's a way to boost confidence.

Educate them on the importance of eating healthy food and physical activity
    Part of what is so tempting about sweets is the fact they taste GOOD! Teach them moderation and self control instead
    Lead by example
  • RedHeadDevotchka
    RedHeadDevotchka Posts: 1,394 Member
    Options
    yes, I mean it's like a kids rite-of-passage! You know they'll resent this!! Let them go and then tell them to hide it from you. I would be so pissed if my mom wouldn't let me go :cry:
  • firstsip
    firstsip Posts: 8,399 Member
    Options
    Lol, are the "omg my kids will get shot" comments for real? I live 30 seconds (literally, 30 seconds) outside of Detroit. Out hours gets FLOODED with the families that bring their kids because our neighborhood isn't quite as bad (Granted, I say "not as bad"... I'm not living in Grosse Pointe or the "nice" border cities here...). Our metro area is also super anxious because there's been 30 random *kitten* shootings on all area highways here. Really, where do you live that there is nowhere close you can't take your kids trick or treating?
  • jenj1313
    jenj1313 Posts: 898 Member
    Options
    Take them trick-or-treating, but let them have one bag each, to keep in THEIR rooms, then give the rest away... take it to work, or if you don't work, send it to work with a SO, friend, etc. Or, just throw it away. But don't punish your kids b/c you have no self control... teach them how to gain some!
  • gwenette
    Options
    It's OK mom. You go do Zumba. I don't need to trick or treat this year.

child-looking-suspicious-by-house-fire.jpg
    If you were my mom, this is what I would do if you picked Zumba over Trick or Treating.
  • firstsip
    Options
    Ok, as a child my parents ruined every holiday for me and my brother. My mother was crazy religious and never would allow us to go trick or treating or dress up bc she said it was "satans birthday". She also told me and my brother that there was no such thing as santa when I was 5 bc she said she felt she was "lying to us" same with the tooth fairy. I remember her calling the school and telling our teachers that we were not allowed to attend halloween parties so we would have to sit outside our classroom and do homework while everyone inside was having fun and eating candy. I will NEVER forget how I felt about all of this. I have my own child now and I will NEVER do that to her and I make holidays a big deal at my house bc of the fact that I don't want my child to be as unhappy as I. My mother still makes comments about how I raise my daughter and let her do all of these "evil" things. She threatened to tell my daughter there is no such thing as santa and I told her I would punch her in the face if she tried...

So there is your answer!

The irony of feeling bad for lying to you about Santa, but not about the religious aspect, is like the richest, most bitter irony I can stomach outside of a dark chocolate bar. I'm sorry you grew up with that!
  • jilliew
    jilliew Posts: 255 Member
    Options
    I would use this as an opportunity to teach your kids that candy is OK, but LOTS of candy is not. I never got that education when I was a kid - we weren't allowed to have candy in the house accept on special occasions so when Halloween/Easter/Christmas came along I went on a giant candy binge. Then when I left home all I bought was crap to eat because it was special and forbidden in my parents' house. Hence the reason I'm 100+ lbs overweight.

Take your kids out. Get a crap load of candy for them, and teach them what a proper serving of candy is and how often is ok to eat it.
  • sizzle92
    sizzle92 Posts: 1,015 Member
    Options
    OMG this is me right now :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
  • firstsip
    Options
    But if you really think of smothering your kids like that... dont have any..... :indifferent: sorry I am direct and honest... but just dont....

So wanting my children to not get shot by gang members and to eat healthy is smothering, then what kind of parent should I be? Suuuuure, eat all the fatty foods you want and then dance in the middle of traffic at night. I wouldn't want someone on the internet to think I'm no fun! :/

Is this real life.
  • UsedToBeHusky
    UsedToBeHusky Posts: 15,229 Member
    Options

I have to agree with this person. If you are living in such a bad neighborhood and can't afford to move out, then the last thing you need to be thinking about is having children. Before you have kids, work on getting out of your impoverished conditions, please.