Whats wrong with Subway?

Options

Replies

• surromom2010
    surromom2010 Posts: 457 Member
    Options
    I love me some subway, footlong club double meat no cheese with a ton of veggies cut into three for part of my 5 small meals a day for insanity. I'll admit the bread to meat ratio is definitely off without getting double meat though. Every now and then I crave subway 24/7, at least I've never said the same about mcdonalds.
  • lmeasterling
    lmeasterling Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    I don't think there's anything wrong with Subway. I wouldn't eat there every day, but I like it. Especially their oven-roasted chicken...yum! :)
  • tsh0ck
    tsh0ck Posts: 1,970 Member
    Options
    Any diet that recommends that your intake be 55/30/15 is retarded.

Are you serious?! It's 2012 and you are still using the R word?!?

...it's 2012 and there are still people offended by the word "retard" ??!??!!

yeah! I mean, what's wrong with denigrating an entire group of people, anyway?!
  • AliciaStinger
    AliciaStinger Posts: 402 Member
    Options

Yeap, and I'll still be using it in 2060, assuming that I am still alive.

As for the person requesting the science behind it, I'll get back to you when I am at home, and not on my phone at work. This browser app is ****, and copy/pasting a plethora of links will take forever.

http://www.nileswestnews.org/west-word/dont-use-the-r-word/

If you need social lessons from a high schooler, then you're not the kind of person I want to speak with...
  • magerum
    magerum Posts: 12,589 Member
    Options
    There is nothing wrong with Subway if you like it.
  • runfatmanrun
    runfatmanrun Posts: 1,090 Member
    Options
    I just tried their double chicken chopped salad, delicious. I only have vinegar for dressing, add some shredded cheese, yeah it was good. But Subway can be just as bad as McDonalds, dressings, double cheese, fatty sodium laden meats, etc. Just have to be smart about it.
  • ahamm002
    ahamm002 Posts: 1,690 Member
    Options
    Processed meats full of sodium and MSG - gives me a migraine
    Bread - Can't eat it now, but even when I did Subway is just too much bread to meat & veggie ratio to me

For the same calories, I'd much rather have a huge salad with protein and full fat full flavor dressing
    And for me, 15% protein is way too low. My ratios are more 30% carb, 40% protein, 30% fat

precisely. they're very stingy on the meat and veg. and, all the meat is way processed anyway. when i'm trying to lose a few, i nix processed foods, sugar, and grains. taking a bite of a subway sandwich sometimes seems like getting a mouthful of bread.

When yoe're trying to lose a few your diet must be awfully bland

not at all!!

no butter or cooking oils and all that yucky processed stuff makes for bland cooking

where did you get no butter from?
  • ahamm002
    Options
    Please don't be an idiot and believe this. I'm studying nutrition right now, and can tell you that eating that much protein is just a waste. Carbs provide glucose, the preferred source of energy.

I used to hear that same idiotic "carbs are your preferred energy source" quote from nutritionists all the time back when I was in medical school That means carbs are good for giving you energy for things like sports, but it has absolutely nothing to do with weight loss (or anything else really). And technically sugar, not complex carbs are the body's energy source. Yet nobody would recomend eating pure sugar all day! You mentioned that we don't need much protein if we're not exercising . . . how many carbs do we need again . . . oh yeah zero!

I can't believe the "carbs are your preferred energy source" dogma is still so prevalent amoung nutritionists. White bread (and subway's "wheat bread" is basically white bread) is not helpful for weight loss. Sure, you can make it work if you want to, but it's not health food. It's not very satiating, it's high glycemic index, it's low in nutrients, and it's basically just empty calories.

carbs = energy

fat and protein = energy, too. do you think we just poop out protein and fat without using it?

Agreed, but it doesn't come as quickly as carb energy. Maybe I should revise to carbs = fast energy! :wink:

sugar is even faster energy!
  • ahamm002
    Options
    Processed meats full of sodium and MSG - gives me a migraine
    Bread - Can't eat it now, but even when I did Subway is just too much bread to meat & veggie ratio to me

For the same calories, I'd much rather have a huge salad with protein and full fat full flavor dressing
    And for me, 15% protein is way too low. My ratios are more 30% carb, 40% protein, 30% fat

precisely. they're very stingy on the meat and veg. and, all the meat is way processed anyway. when i'm trying to lose a few, i nix processed foods, sugar, and grains. taking a bite of a subway sandwich sometimes seems like getting a mouthful of bread.

When yoe're trying to lose a few your diet must be awfully bland

not at all!!

no butter or cooking oils and all that yucky processed stuff makes for bland cooking

where did you get no butter from?

You're right just yesterday I tripped over a butter plant that was blossoming with sticks of butter

And the semantics nazi strikes again. This is almost as funny as when you used to continually point out that CLA was a "trans fat." I'm pretty sure nobody is referring to CLA when they talk about avoiding "trans fats," nor is anyone referring to butter when they talk about avoiding processed foods.

Maybe next you could start a threat about how muscle weighs the same as fat?
  • ironanimal
    ironanimal Posts: 5,922 Member
    Options
    I can't stand the smell of the shop from outside. It always smells absolutely repulsive. Thus, never been interested in eating their food.
  • postrockandcats
    postrockandcats Posts: 1,145 Member
    Options
    Subway, is just about choices. You can walk out of there with a 1500 cal sub or a 400 cal sub. Depends on how you do it. If it fits in your diet and you're successful eating there, rock on. :)

Subway themselves? Not a huge fan. I don't like their bread, their veggies aren't that fresh and everything is bland to my tastes. I like my local sub place much better. Also, the Subway near my house is kind of gross; the same unwashed knife touching everything that's going through and then the astounding level of cross contamination from no one washing their hands or changing their gloves ever.
  • wmagoo27
    wmagoo27 Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    http://fussylittleblog.com/2011/05/03/the-good-way-vs-the-subway/

http://symbii.com/stories.php?sid=516&tid=12

These are some of the reasons I don't eat at Subway. I can make a better sandwich myself for cheaper anyway.
  • OspreyVista
    OspreyVista Posts: 464 Member
    Options

So.. the year changes to 2012 and all of a sudden there are rules for what words to say for different years? How..well, retarded.
  • MonicaW1988
    MonicaW1988 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    Personally I like Subway and don't think its that bad, sure the meat is more processed than other places but I think it tastes good... I usually get a 6 inch turkey or if I want to indulge a 6 inch chicken breast.
  • half_moon
    half_moon Posts: 807 Member
    Options
    I'm just talking regular healthy eating. You know, food-guide style... where the daily recommended intake is 55% carbs, 30% fats and 15% protein along with plenty of vitamins and minerals.

i go more of a paleo route.... believe it or not, even 'whole grain wheat' breads are bad for you. Grains aren't what they used to be before people started altering everything. it all turns to sugar when it gets into your system, and generally goes straight to belly fat, among other places. Subway salads are ok, add a roasted chicken to it and some italian dressing and you're good. Fat free dressings are worse for you than regular if you are trying to keep to a cleaner eating pallet. sure they're lower in fat, but between all of the chemicals that's pumped into them to keep flavor, they're definitely not the better choice. Cheese isn't good in general.

O__O
  • iuew
    iuew Posts: 624 Member
    Options
    subway probably has the most healthy choices of any fast food restaurant. i eat there often, and i use it as part of my maintenance plan.
  • aippolito1
    aippolito1 Posts: 4,894 Member
    Options
    The only thing I don't like about Subway is their high sodium breads. I usually order the flatbread chicken sandwich with lots of veggies and avocado, and low-fat sweet onion sauce. Yum, yum!
  • chelovik
    chelovik Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    I think once a while it is ok to eat subway. I have had the eggwhite on flat bread recently when I forgot to pack enough food for my mega shift. I get a ton of the veggies on it with no cheese because I try to monitor my salt intake. I use brown mustard to flavor it up
  • Laces_0ut
    Laces_0ut Posts: 3,750 Member
    Options

So.. the year changes to 2012 and all of a sudden there are rules for what words to say for different years? How..well, retarded.

you are not aware of this? there was a time when saying "colored" was accepted...you should try saying that now. :)
  • laughingnome
    laughingnome Posts: 259 Member
    Options
    I never ate at subway, can't get past the smell