WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR NOVEMBER 2012

Options

Replies

• exermom
    exermom Posts: 6,384 Member
    Options
    Linda Sundance - I sure feel for you about the workman's comp. What a mess! Get better fast, yes, going to the gym will help you to feel better. Work out all the agression!

Lila - keep reminding me of the shipping date overseas, OK? I really need to get Bryan's Christmas gifts in the mail to him.

Not sure how things are going to go tomorrow, I guess we'll just wait and see.....

Oh, have a question for anyone. When I go to the senior bowl, I usually take baby carrots with me. As you know, the food at a bowling alley leaves A LOT to be desired. However...they do allow us to bring in snacks. To be honest, I'm getting a little tired of carrots all the time. Also, sometimes I haven't finished them when it becomes my turn to bowl. Does anyone have any ideas of veges that I can take? I one time took grapes (I know that's not a vege...lol) and that seemed to work out. But I would like to take a vege, but I really can't think of one. Maybe edamame? I usually buy the frozen shelled edamame so I really wouldn't have any idea of what to do to prepare for taking edamame with me. I know that I'd need to shell them at home. Sometimes you can get celery stuck in your teeth, that would just be a mess. What else can I take that I can just pop in my mouth and won't take a long time to chew?

Michele
  • auntiebk
    auntiebk Posts: 2,514 Member
    Options
    First day back to work, so how is it was able to get down on mat AND do SWSY arms?
    Exhausted, missed DH and the pups, and my NAP, but dragged weary butt to dance class. So good to see all my dear friends there again.

Working seems to be key for me, no problem moving, staying under today and not even too hard to postpone any wine or ale to the weekend.

Welcome bearsher You've come to the right group for motivation and support.

All you other dear ladies (and that includes YOU lurkin Reb) thanks for the continued motivation and support.

Must sleep now zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

Hugs,

animal-emoticon-0064.gif
    Barbara, the AHMOD who WILL be size 10 one day

2012: dance more, bark less and check in!!!
    November: back to basics

SWSY or matminutes: 7=SWSY arms + 33 mat 6=0 5=0 4=0 3=0 2=0 1=0
    steps: 7=13130 Now THAT's more like it! 6=6254 5=4702 4=5426 3=6461 2=9220 1=8809
  • Sasha4427
    Sasha4427 Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    Lila - keep reminding me of the shipping date overseas, OK? I really need to get Bryan's Christmas gifts in the mail to him.

Does anyone have any ideas of veges that I can take?

Michele
    [/quote]

Hi Michele, I think you said Bryan is in France - shipping dates are probably the same from USPS and CanadaPost - Air parcels by November 30, Express delivery - December 10.
    And for veggies - what about English cucumber sticks, red/yellow/green pepper strips, kohlrabi, cauliflower or broccoli florets
  • whodatlixxie
    Options
    Linda Sundance - I sure feel for you about the workman's comp. What a mess! Get better fast, yes, going to the gym will help you to feel better. Work out all the agression!

Not sure how things are going to go tomorrow, I guess we'll just wait and see.....

Oh, have a question for anyone. When I go to the senior bowl, I usually take baby carrots with me. As you know, the food at a bowling alley leaves A LOT to be desired. However...they do allow us to bring in snacks. To be honest, I'm getting a little tired of carrots all the time. Also, sometimes I haven't finished them when it becomes my turn to bowl. Does anyone have any ideas of veges that I can take? I one time took grapes (I know that's not a vege...lol) and that seemed to work out. But I would like to take a vege, but I really can't think of one. Maybe edamame? I usually buy the frozen shelled edamame so I really wouldn't have any idea of what to do to prepare for taking edamame with me. I know that I'd need to shell them at home. Sometimes you can get celery stuck in your teeth, that would just be a mess. What else can I take that I can just pop in my mouth and won't take a long time to chew?

Michele
  • whodatlixxie
    Options
    I saw a recipe in the summer on here for "fried green beans". Basically it was a pack of frozen green beans (I ended up using the cut ones but the whole ones worked too). Put them in a ziploc bag with 1 - 2 tbls of EVO (depends on how big the bag of green beans you used), add whatever seasonings you want - I am a South Louisiana girl so I like it spicy and used something called Tony Chachere's along with a little bit of cayene. Pour them onto a cookie sheet (I gave it a quick spray with PAM) and bake for 20 minutes at 400. Stir/flip and bake another 20 minutes. Pour in bowl and eat - like popcorn! Yummy! You could let them cool and take them with you to bowling alley.

I also take shelled Edamame and boil them (again in seasoning - I use something we call crab boil). Let them soak a bit to get the flavor and then drain. I munch on them as a snack a lot!
  • carojrrn
    carojrrn Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    Hello to everyone!

Sounds like yesterday was a day full of bumps in the road for a lot of people. Let's just call it Wacky Wednesday and put it to bed!!

I went to Jazzercise class for the first time in about three weeks and my brain was on pause. I could not get the moves right. Sure felt sorry for the person behind me..LOL. I managed to get through the two song stumbling block and got a decent workout. Today I will do a quick DVD or Wii workout at home. This weekend the weather forecast is mid 60's and sunny so I hope to get a day or two of bike rides in before the cold sets in for good.

Looked in the fridge this morning and all the leftovers from my weekend cooking were gone! It is as if I did not hit the grocery store this weekend! Today I will try to see what inspires me and plan another trip. The apple-pumpkin soup sounds good. (Not a fan of sqaush). I will try the cumin-cinnamon split as suggested.

Wishing a Terrific Thursday to all! Take time to smell the roses today. You may have to look a little harder but the fragrance is there!!

Take care!
    Carolyn
  • linder4866
    linder4866 Posts: 11,140 Member
    Options
    Michele you wrote
    "Lin - how do you go about "highlighting the barcode"? I KNOW this item is in the database, and that's the only step I had trouble with. Must have been doing it wrong because nothing came up. BTW - I have an android. "

You pressed add to diary, you selected which meal to add to, and then you pressed on the #### looking thing right? Then your camera should start up and you get the UPC code on the item you want info on lined up and it will take a picture and return the product's info to the screen if it can find it. The scan code is not perfect---I've had several things that would not scan but when I searched the database manually I found them. Also several items have returned incorrectly---they were not that item at all. I also have an Android phone and I just checked by using mine and it worked.

Maybe I don't understand what you're asking..........if I didn't try again. I'll get it one of these days!

Gotta run. Meeting a friend for coffee and then another friend later for a trip to Costco. Since I don't have a membership if she says she's going to go and I can come along I will always go if I can.

Take care. I hope everyone has a good day. All best wishes.

Lin

1482351y1dphi597b.gif
  • barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,974 Member
    Options
    :bigsmile: :bigsmile: :bigsmile: for those of you who were asking about Mimi (sister mary veggie queen)......I sent her a personal message and here is her response:

Thanks, Barbie. I was just thinking about you. I've been away from home (this place and that) for a few weeks. I was supposed to go to Reno to help my sister unpack from her move from Winnemucca but we postponed the visit for awhile. I am so glad to be home! I'm back to logging as of today and will be back to 50+ soon. Thanks for checking on me.
    heart
    Mary

I have missed her and look forward to her posting again.
  • mazaron
    mazaron Posts: 329 Member
    Options
    Hello all,

Oh happy Thursday! It was the last session of the circuit class last night (though a new round begins next week) and the trainer figured she’d show us “how far we’ve come”.:explode: Oh me oh my, I can feel it this morning! Hope it does not affect my curling tonight. After many years of curling with a very casual team I’m now with a group that actually wins now and then,:noway: so I have to be “into the game” a bit more. It’s fun, and I am learning a lot from the more experienced players.

School begins with a gym class today, which I like because it really sets my students up for a good day. We are going to play 4-goal soccer, indoors. Whooeee, watch out for those soccer balls! Last year one of my students put a ball through the plate glass gym door. Smash.:blushing: I told the maintenance crew it was collateral damage from a very active and healthy group! :laugh: Not sure if they really appreciated me.

Laura, you are sure having fun while the boss is away…how’s the pile of papers looking?

JB, oh “our little digital friend”! :ohwell: Glad to hear yours is creeping downward. Have you read the book SPARK? It’s a very readable (or listenable, because I got it from Audible) review of research about the positive impact of exercise on our brains – impacting memory, mood, attention, delaying dementia, etc. I don’t have to tell you this though, do I, girl who goes gardening when she’s worried about her mother.

DeeDee, I do hope Wednesday went up on the positive side after you got home. :flowerforyou: Whew, what a list of disasters!

Janehadji, What fun to know you share my experiences of Spokane as a shopping mecca! I love the downtown area, Riverside & Auntie’s Bookstore. I had my toe joint replaced because it was fused by arthritis. The timeline for recovery is the same as what you went through with your bunion, so I spent quite a few weeks doing chair exercises and working on upper body strength. I found I could use the elliptical machine at the gym without much pain because I could keep the weight on my heel. I will have to have the other one done eventually - but I am managing the pain until it is worth the pain of surgery, if you know what I mean!

Oh Colleen, I hear you talkin’ ! :ohwell: Stick with the program, move more, drink lots of water. Plan what you eat, eat what you plan. Try a new exercise class. Come back here for encouragement. Don’t get lost on plateau-land.

Deb A – Yippeee Yeah Hooray, no surgery! :happy:

Michele, describe a low impact jumping jack for me, I need an alternative to jumps too. Congrat’s on choosing carrots over cake. You rock – oh, it was at bowling, should I say you roll?

Linda, you are awesome, no letting a cold keep you from that bike ride at the gym. :drinker: You will be so full of good endorphins the cold germs won’t dare come near you.

Lila, I have not been to Twigs, but DH has promised a “night of fine dining” so we will check it out. Have fun on the dreadmill – what are you listening to as you trudge along? Oh, I mean sprint along. :wink:

Whodatilixxie – Those fried green beens are great! I love the idea of cooking them with a spicy mix – I’ve been using garlic & salt. That works too.

Barbie, thanks for the update on Mimi, I’ve been missing her too.

Hasta pronto,

Nancy

November Goals:

Continue New Rules of Lifting – 3x week
    No second helpings, no evening snacks
    Keep up the exercise & good eating routine when we go away for our November break.
    Add meditative prayer to my daily routine
  • jolenec1
    jolenec1 Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    Michele- If you like chickpeas (garbanzo beans) here's a good recipe. You can also mix it with golden raisins when finished and it makes a great snack mix.

Spicy Baked Chickpeas

Ingredients
    2 (15-ounce) cans chickpeas
    2 tablespoons olive oil
    1 teaspoon Spanish smoked paprika
    1 teaspoon ground cumin
    Pinch cayenne pepper, or to taste
    Kosher salt

Directions

Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F.

Rinse and drain the chickpeas and dry by rolling them around in a kitchen towel. Combine the oil, paprika cumin, cayenne and salt in a large bowl. Add chickpeas and toss to coat evenly. Transfer the chickpeas to a parchment-lined baking sheet and spread them out in a single layer. Bake until golden and crispy, 25 to 35 minutes, shaking the tray to toss after 15 minutes. Remove the baking sheet from the oven and transfer the chickpeas to a serving bowl.

SERVES 6

Calories: 169

Total Fat: 6 grams

Saturated Fat: 1 gram

Protein: 5 grams

Total carbohydrates: 24 grams

Sugar: 0 grams

Fiber 5 grams

Cholesterol: 0 milligrams

Sodium: 425 milligrams
  • exermom
    exermom Posts: 6,384 Member
    Options
    Lila - what concerns me about taking cucumber is that cucumber can sometimes be very watery. While that's OK when you have it in a salad, you don't want your hands to get too wet when you're bowling. Of course, I can always use my other hand (nondominant) but I'm afraid that I might forget. I believe the red peppers are the least spicy, I'll have to try some at home to see if that would be good to take. Broccoli can sometimes get stuck in your teeth, and it would look so funny to have that hanging. Kohlrabi? Never thought of it. Actually, don't think I've ever had it. I'll give it a try. Cauliflower can sometimes break apart real easy and there are some bowler who are quite intense and having little pieces on the floor just might get them upset. But the red peppers and kohlrabi, good ideas. Thanks.

Lizzie - you know, I think I have a bag of green beans in the freezer! I'm definitely going to give that a try. What a wonderful suggestion! Definitely going to give it a try. I'm assuming you used the EVOO so that the spices would adhere to the green beans. Maybe I'll try it without any spices. Thanks so much. mmmm...edamame and green beans, both things I have in my freezer. Do you know that not one store around here has shelled edamame?

Remember my cousin's hubby who dropped dead? I just sent her and her children a basket of mini bites. The kids wouldn't care about flowers. I suspect that they're not going to tell me when the funeral is so that I don't go to any expense to get flowers delivered. So I'm sending a basket of cookies. Bought a sympathy card and am sending that, too.

Lin, up, I pressed "add diary" then which meal to add it to, then the ### thingy, my camera did come on, but it never took a pic of the UPC. I wonder if I need to click on the button to take the pic, that it doesn't happen automatically. I'll give that a try. I tried it again, this time with the help from dh. I now know my problem. My problem was that I didn't have the WHOLE barcode in the little box. Thanks for telling me about this. Have fun with your friend!

Nancy - a low impact jumping jack is basically where you keep one foot on the ground at all times. How do I describe it? ?Sure hope this makes sense! You're starting with your legs together, then you jump but instead of both feet going in opposite directions, only one legs goes to the sside, you jump to bring the feet together, then you jump with the other foot out. Hope that made sense...lol ROTF about the roll!

jolene - I have some chickpease that I roasted. I do like them. The problem I was finding was that no matter what I did, eventually they'd get oldy. Someone on here suggested that I keep them in the refrigerator which is what I'm doing. So far, no problem.

Well, looks like I'm off to the dentist. Everyone have a good day. Don't know what shape I'll be in, so if you don't hear from me any more today, you will tomorrow.

Michele
  • wessecg
    wessecg Posts: 410 Member
    Options
    So today is my typical day before weigh in day fret. I ate so much this week. Never more than what it said I could eat, but a lot. Then yesterday I was starving all day. I couldn't stop eating. When I got home I had my salmon intending for that to be my dinner, but then after I went shopping for some aerobic shoes (didn't find any) and got back at 8:30, I ate some of the food I'd cooked for my family. This included Oyster dressing!!! Can't get any more fattening than oyster dressing.:noway:

To top it all off, I didn't get to do the 30 day shred and my pants that were loose last week are tight in the waist. Guess we'll see what our digital friend (is that what we're calling it?) has to say in the morning.

Janeh - I've known two friends who have had bunion surgery with bad results. I hope you heal 100%. I would need to repair the achilles tendon in each foot. I won't be doing that.

Sundance - can you get workman's comp for carpal tunnel? I can barely type my right thumb hurts so much, but I'm not so certain my company would do more than give me a hand brace. Have seen a lot of my colleagues get hand braces here.

Exermom - a brownie doesn't sound so bad after my oyster dressing binge last night (ok it was only about 1/4 cup but still it was 9 p.m. when I finished eating eat it :frown:

Oh, I am adding this - if I lose even 1/2 pound tomorrow then it will show a total 20 pound loss (my number would start with a 2!!!) and it would put me at half way. Maybe I can just not eat today and walk the entire day. (Or cut my hair?):laugh:
  • msh0530
    msh0530 Posts: 1,675 Member
    Options
    Throws hat in ring, steps back to see reaction, timidly steps forward:

I have been gone for way too long! I have been coming back to the group every Monday for 2 months now, but something always seems to get in the way. I could go into my litany of excuses, but they are really as lame as "The sun was in my eyes" when I look at them closely, so I won't bother. Thank you to Auntie BK and Barbie, who sent me messages and made my fingers navigate to your page today instead of waiting for another Monday which it seems never came . . .

What I have learned: no matter how much knowledge I have from several years of striving for a healthy lifestyle, I must be incapable of carrying through on my resolve without the accountability of this group. It is way to easy to push it to the back of my mind when I am not keeping in contact with you, my lovely friends! Thank you for being such a good influence, and thank you in advance for taking me back, in my humble state.

My goals for November: get back in the habit of logging my food, and make it back to the swimming pool soon. That is all that I can handle right now, and I know that if I do it, my other good habits will follow.

So, hi to all who remember me, and looking forward to getting to know the rest of you! Mary
  • Laura80111
    Laura80111 Posts: 958 Member
    Options
    :flowerforyou: Thursday...that's one day closer to the weekend:wink:

DeeDee-hoping that today is better than yesterday:flowerforyou:

janehadji-when the scale goes up I always increase my water, I don't know why but it always seems to help and the next two days after the scale goes back down...hoping your up is only temporary:drinker:

colleen- drink more water, increase the exercise and have some salmon that's what breaks the plateau for me:flowerforyou:

DebA-congrats on the clean bill of health and being able to get back to exercise. Good planning for the conference it's always good when you can plan ahead especially when you know that the food being offered isn't going to be within the calories that you want to meet. :drinker:

Jolene- push ups help with the arms and using weights for arm exercises will help on your "wings":flowerforyou:

Michele-hoping the extraction goes smoothly:flowerforyou: Drat that raw brownie dough:grumble: Since hubby won't eat them right now I'm saved from having that kind of dough around to tempt me, thank goodness:wink: What about celery that has some of that laughing cow light cream cheese in it? Hubby & I love it for snacks, lots of crunch and flavor:bigsmile:

Linda- how frustrating getting part of the paper work filled out only to have it head to cyber space:explode: Sorry you are under the weather, but still going to the gym...I'm impressed I would have just grabbed a pillow and laid down. 4 weeks to wait is just not right:grumble:

Lila-ahhh yes I remember having to pay attention to shipping overseas ...when Son #2 & DIL were with NATO in Belgium and when #1 Son was with the army in Afghanistan & Iraq I had to pay attention to those shipping dates....now I can go until the last minute:wink:

Carolyn- jazzercise and my two left feet would not be pretty. :blushing: that's why I try to do the Dancing with the Stars DVD's at home in a room away from hubby because I'm sure he'd be shaking his head in wonder.

Barbie- thanks for the update on Mimi...will look forward to when she is posting again.:happy:

Nancy- how fun for you on a curling team...hoping that your season is a winning one:drinker:

Cheryl- today is a new day the oyster dressing was yesterday so begin fresh today:flowerforyou:

Mary-:flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: Welcome back. I understand the need to get in here and "check in" on a regular basis as that is what waylaided me last time. So here I am at maintenance and working toward keeping the habits that I've relearned this year ....you too can do it:drinker: :drinker:

Boss still away slowly getting some things caught up on. But when he calls and checks in he adds things for me to do..and they are things I don't like doing:grumble: like collecting money...I really feel that's his job.

By the time hubby got home last night I was half way through my 20 min of the 30DS and hubby said "if the exercise doesn't kill you first then by the time you are done you will have a killer body":laugh: Such wonderful words of encouragement:wink: But he's right about the exercises killing me. Just upping the weights to #5 and staying at Level 1 I'm barely able to do some of the weight exercises...so I may just stay at Level 1...that and there are some of the exercises I'm sure I'm not doing right...have trouble sticking out the bum for some of them:blushing: :blushing:

Hubby is so hoping that he gets the internal promotion as he would really like to be working during the work week and we could have our weekends together again.

Saturday is our 39th Anniversary:love: and he has to work, so I will try and make a special breakfast for him and maybe we can go do something special on Sunday after the football game...will have to see.

Everyone have a great day log that food, drink plenty of water and don't forget to get up and get moving:drinker: :drinker:

Laura80111:smile:
  • wessecg
    wessecg Posts: 410 Member
    Options
    Mary, your dog looks like my dog only mine doesn't have bows (he would bite me I think.) I'm fairly new, but welcome back. Please stay.
  • Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    Options
    I'm interested in goal setting. I know that some of you have set specific goals for weight loss, but I haven't so far, other than I want my knees to quit hurting and want to feel better. I haven't figured out how or whether to turn this into a specific pounds lost goal. What are your thoughts? I notice my weight-loss ticker has a goal on it, but I didn't actually set that goal; MyFitnessPal did it on its own. Have they somehow calculated how much I need to lose?
  • calmrose
    calmrose Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Good Morning Friends,
    I've had a rocky start to my day but I am hoping that it gets better now that I have read and caught up with all of you positive and encouraging ladies. I cannot tell you how important it is to me to be able to read about you all and take courage and strength from you on a tough day as this. If "bad Wednesday is Whacky Wednesday, what is bad Thursday"? I woke up with a desire to eat eat and eat. I did lose control for a bit but have it back now thanks to you.

The one who posted the Ginger Carrot Bisque - thanks so much, it looks delicouus and I will try it probably tomorrow.

Barbiecat - That book "168 Hrs" sound like a must read for me though I am getting better at time-management.

Jolenec1 - The spicy baked chickpeas looks delicious too and will be on my shopping list (for engredients)

wessecg - I am wearing a hand brace for the exact same problem. I have been a bookkeeper for 25 years and a few months ago the pain became unmanageable. I have had x-ray, and a bunch of meds (most of which I cannot take because of bad reactions) - I have also had several therapy sessions for it but the pain continues. I have had to reduce the amount of time I spend on computer. I hope and pray for better for you. My Dr has not said it's carppal tunel, she won't put a name on it, but the pain is intense at times and it begins at the right thumb and moves up the arm from there.

My best to all of you for the day,

Blessings, Rose
  • californiagirl2012
    californiagirl2012 Posts: 2,625 Member
    Options
    Have a great day everyone. :)

Brrr.. it's cold up here in the mountains. A storm is coming in. The wind is kicking up. I'm bundling up and going for a run. Nothing like the majestic feel of a storm coming in.

Have an awesome day all of you 50+ MFP sisters!

Bobbie
  • joann1948
    joann1948 Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    Good Morning Everyone: Yesterday I woke up in a fabulous mood, very positive which I always am, and the day went downhill faster than a roller coaster. Having to deal with family issues. I stayed on program, even though I used to binge with stress. Now I cant really eat when stressed. Hopefully things will work out soon.........Have a wonderful day ......Joann
  • janemartin02
    janemartin02 Posts: 2,653 Member
    Options
    Have a great thurs.
    welcome back mary.
    Have a pt evaluation this afternoon.Enjoyed my 2 days with Violet.
    Baby Alliyah is 2 weeks already.Time goes by so fast.
    HUGS
    jane