How do you feel about stay-at-home parents?

Options
You can just talk freely or use the following questions to guide you! Thanks for sharing your perspective!

If you're the SAHP (stay at home parent) ...are your envious that your spouse gets to "escape" ...even if it is for work?

Do you like staying at home?

If you're the off-to-work parent...are you resentful that your spouse stays at home? Do you care that your spouse isn't contributing to the household income?

What would the ideal arrangement look like for you?

Replies

• LeggyAmericanGirl
    LeggyAmericanGirl Posts: 285 Member
    Options
    Lived it. I would say HELL F-ING NO. Biggest mistake of my life.
  • XtyAnn17
    XtyAnn17 Posts: 632 Member
    Options
    Yes im envious he gets to escape and glad to go back to work next year.

I hate staying home
  • MelisRunning
    MelisRunning Posts: 819 Member
    Options
    I did it and would do it again in a heartbeat.
  • oregonzoo
    oregonzoo Posts: 4,251 Member
    Options
    I was for four years. Sometimes I miss it a lot.

I would not negatively judge one who was a stay at home mom. Just like I wouldn't judge a mother who has a family but is very career orientated.
    I doubt I could do it again. I need to work.
  • Stinkerbelle84
    Options
    I am envious of the people who are stay at home parents, and LOVE it. I, personally, do not enjoy it.
  • Brandi1168
    Brandi1168 Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    I'm a SAHM. I don't really get jealous of my hubby "escaping." I was a working mom up until last January (my DS was 19 months old when I quit working). I do miss talking to adults and having lunch breaks to do whatever I want, but being a working mom with all of my son's health issues was stressful and I was missing a lot of work to be home with him. I like staying at home now and I hope I am lucky enough to continue to stay at home until my son is at least in high school.
  • carebear7951
    carebear7951 Posts: 404 Member
    Options
    I am not going to say that every day is peachy keen because there are definitely HARD days (I homeschool 3 of my 4 and the other one is not old enough yet-he's 2, almost 3) but I wouldn't trade it for the world. I get paid in ways other than $$...I worked outside the home for over 5 years before we had kids and I quit at the end of my pregnancy with my first child. Sure, there are times I'd love to contribute financially but my dh is so great to remind me (and anyone else who phrases it wrong) that I do work. :)

My job is to save $$ and raise our kids.

BTW, if I ever get the chance to go back to school, I do have other dreams, they're just as important to me as my kids. I would love to be a labor and delivery nurse when my kids grow up.
  • ExplorinLauren
    ExplorinLauren Posts: 991 Member
    Options
    I'm a stay at home mom. (4 kids, ages 17, 12, 3 and 1) There are days I love it... and days I want to cry and ask myself why in the hell and I'm staying at home when I could be back to work, friends, adults! lol But I love knowing I'm raising my kids, and with them always :)

My husband makes enough money to where we aren't suffering by me being home... And he WANTS his children raised by me. He wont even let our daughter go to the free childcare offered by the hospital for our doctor visits! lol So, for us it works, and we don't fight about stuff like that.

I can tell you... Being a SAHM is WAYYYYYYYYYYY harder than any other job I've EVER had. Mentally and Physically.
  • Katbody10
    Katbody10 Posts: 369 Member
    Options
    I was very fortunate .. I didn't have to "work" . Although I was divorced (separated when our son was 2 .. divorced finalized when he was 4) .. and single the rest of the time .. I raised my son as a single parent for 14 years! I had the financial help of my parents.. however .. no one here to help me.

I don't regret a single day .. it's been wonderful and fabulous. He's 18 .. off to college .. Straight A's .. I volunteered and was active in my community and did everything that I loved .. including traveling the world with my son.

My father is Norwegian .. my mother is German .. my father, son and I are the only U.S. citizens (mom is only a legal resident alien) .. :-) All our relatives are overseas .. so traveling was wonderful .. and we still do it.

Edit: and yes .. I was a stay at home parent!! yay! I feel so lucky to have been able to do that!
  • seraph0820
    Options
    I really enjoy staying home, my son is so important to me and I love that I will be there for him and I know he is getting the attention and learning experiences that he deserves. Sometimes I get a little stir crazy but that's what girl nights are for, and talking to your spouse about it definitely helps. He is great at giving me a break and helping out when he gets home after work. I contribute to the household income by having two extra babies with my son and I also did passion parties for a while which helps a lot. The only thing I ever hated about staying home was the lack of income but that can be easily fixed as I have stated earlier.
  • Annieloujackson
    Annieloujackson Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    I'm only envious that my husband goes to lunch with his parents. :-) He has a very stressful job, and I'm extremely appreciative that he works and I get to stay home with our kids and homeschool. He's not resentfuul of my lack of income, because he believes I'm the best caretaker of our kids, and I'm a total tightwad. He even calls his paycheck "our" paycheck. We know our family is way more important than any amount of money. It is a little stressful having 4 kids aged 5 and under...
  • BelindaDuvessa
    BelindaDuvessa Posts: 1,014 Member
    Options
    You can just talk freely or use the following questions to guide you! Thanks for sharing your perspective!

If you're the SAHP (stay at home parent) ...are your envious that your spouse gets to "escape" ...even if it is for work?

Do you like staying at home?

If you're the off-to-work parent...are you resentful that your spouse stays at home? Do you care that your spouse isn't contributing to the household income?

What would the ideal arrangement look like for you?

I am the working parent while my husband stays at home. I know he envies me a little bit, because he's told me so. He gets stir crazy here, which is why date nights and him going and hanging out with friends is so important. He needs to get out of the house, and I understand that.

I have no problems supporting our entire family, so long as he is taking care of the day to day household stuff. I generally have to leave him a list of things I would like accomplished during the day, but if I do, he's good about doing most, if not all of them.

For our family, this works out well. He is having to go and look for a job now, though. Insurance up at my work just sky-rocketed, and I can't afford it if he doesn't have an income. Even with another baby on the way, I can make it with what I make at my job, except for the insurance. And I don't make boat loads of money, either. I just haven't accumulated tons of debt like alot of people my own age. I don't own a credit card, and my car is paid off. That helps alot.
  • Molly_Maguire
    Molly_Maguire Posts: 1,103 Member
    Options
    I'm a SAHM. I do not envy my husband for "escaping" every day. Our little boy is such a sweet happy little joy, there's nothing to escape from! I actually feel bad for my husband that he misses out on his sweet smile so much every day!

I love staying at home! That's what being a mom means. I am lucky enough to be in a family that financially allows me to stay at home. I know not every family has the luxury, so I am grateful we do. Sure, I could work full time, but why pay someone else to raise my kid for me? That's my job, I don't want anyone doing it for me!

My husband would never resent that I don't contribute to the family's income, because it's my job to do the shopping, stay on top of bills and keep the house clean and chores done. That's the plan we agreed on when we decided to try for a baby, and it's worked perfectly from day one.

Ideally, I'd want my husband to work from home so he could take breaks and have lunches with us, but I guess you can't have it all! :wink:
  • LilynEdensmom
    LilynEdensmom Posts: 612 Member
    Options
    Did it for a short while, its not for me I like working..But if they like it and can afford it more power to them.
  • AlsDonkBoxSquat
    AlsDonkBoxSquat Posts: 6,128 Member
    Options
    I was laid off for 4 months and loved it. It's hard work, but I would love to be able to be full time dedicated to running and managing my home. As it stands I feel very partitioned trying to stay on top of my life, it would be nice to be able to focus on the one that brings me the greatest sense of satisfaction and reward. If I could afford it I would still send my son off to preschool, he learns so much from his peers that I just wouldn't be able to give him at my kitchen table. I think that 3 hours would probably be the key to my sanity.
  • beach_please
    beach_please Posts: 533 Member
    Options
    Some days I miss working outside the home and miss my job but I figure I have the rest of my life to do that, my kids are only going to be young once. I don't think staying home works for everyone or is right for everyone.

I actually think HE envies ME because I get to do things with the kids he doesn't get to do very often, like help them with homework, go have lunch with them at school, spend afternoons at the pool during summer vacation. They're small things but things that SAHP often take for granted.

I don't envy him for getting away... he works very hard so that I can be with the kids.
  • AyaKara
    AyaKara Posts: 220
    Options
    I feel that Stay-At-Homes should take advantage of the fact that they're home & get involved with new hobbies, learn an instrument, write a book, exercise, dance, learn to draw or paint, etc. They have a lot of time to cultivate some wonderful skills & activities that can make them truly happy, & I feel like they don't take advantage of that as much as they should (or at least, you don't hear about it).

If I became a SAHM (never will, though :wink: ) I would DEFINITELY be spending all of that time fulfilling intrinsic motives in my life! I do that now, but I would have much more time for it all as an SAHM.
  • DamnImASexyBitch
    DamnImASexyBitch Posts: 740 Member
    Options
    I'm not the sahp type. I work 25 hours a week outside of the home. It's a perfect compromise. I get to take care of the household and all my children's needs, plus I get the adult interaction. It's amazing though the amount of grief I get from either direction. You have the people who are like oh, you only work 25 hours, what do you do with all that free time? Ummm wtf is free time? I certainly don't have that. Then you get the sahms who think I'm doing some huge injustice to my kids by not being there for them 24/7. You can't win, so I don't even try. I do what works for my family.
  • jgsparks89
    jgsparks89 Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    I was a SAHM while my son was in infant and toddler-hood....except for the time I spent at school (mostly nights). Having only one income is tough, but I do miss the general flow of the day being SAH. Ideally, I am looking into a job that I can to mainly from home so that we get the benefits of 2 incomes with the benefits of a SAH parent. Best of the best situation: If my DH gets to work out of the home some as well. It would certainly make dealing with new babies easier with more hands on deck during the day.
  • JenMcCrory
    JenMcCrory Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    I'm currently at home with my kids while my husband works in the mining industry. He can be gone for up to 4 weeks at a time so a full on SAHM. It's busy looking after my 2 but I also don't envy him he works long hours and does a tough job to provide for us.

Our roles were reversed previously he stayed at home with the 2 kids while I worked so we both understand just how hard each others role is and really appreciate each other. Honestly think it has made us much stronger as a couple :heart: