WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR NOVEMBER 2012

Replies

• exermom
    exermom Posts: 6,474 Member
    Ok, ladies. Have a question. As you know, I'm making these coasters. It's a bow with two ornaments (on plastic canvas). The directions say to make a "loop stitch" at the top of the ornaments. So...what is a loop stitch? The directions don't tell you how to make one. Anyone know?

Barb - since you eat the jicama raw, I think I'll probably have to wait a bit until I have some, but when my mouth is more normal, I will definitely. I'm surprised how long it's taking me to heal completely. Usually I heal faster than this. My cheek is still somewhat sore. But I know it'll go away. Next week I get the stitches taken out.

When Vince goes shoppping, he checks EVERY expiration date. Only thing is, he doesn't look in the back of shelves. Many times I'll find a milk or yogurt or something with a later expiration date.

barbie - how right you are about being mindful of "what" you eat. I'm trying to eat better, I really am. But sometimes it's just so hard. Especially right now with the holidays coming up.

Suebdew - many years ago when the kids were little, one boy used to always come to our house. He knew that there were always cookies, he used to go into the cookie drawer! Anyway, my floor was filthy one day. I asked him where his mother was and he said "at home washing the floor", I just thought "what I wouldn't do to be able to wash my floor.". Fast forward about 15 years. I went to where his father worked and all his father could talk about was how he would always talk about the cookies and climbing my trees. Not a word about how dirty my floor was.

Mary - I'm sure you had fun with those boys!

Cheryl - you took my breath away with that pic. What a lovely horse (you're not so bad yourself....lol) Unfortunately, now that we don't live near Unionville any longer, I don't ride. Unionville is REAL big horse country, lots and lots of fields. Barbaro was stabled there at one time and was at New Bolton center when he was put to sleep. One of the Olympic riders boards his horse there (I forget who -- bruce something???) But at least I got over my fear, that was a real biggie. I never did gallop. The first horse they put me on was lame so that I would know that there was no way he could run away from me, but I still had to be reminded to breathe....lol

Nancy - how do you do your HIIT? I'm always on the lookout for new ideas.

Amanda - how wonderful that your daughter made it to the birthday party! Sounds like a fantastic time was had by all (well, ALMOST everyone)

Kate - congrats on the 3 lbs gone!

genalace - when I go to deep water, I can usually finish off a 34oz bottle of water in an hour. The first time someone told me I'd be sweating in the water, I thought they were crazy! But I do. A friend grew rosemary and I have some in my freezer. I had some from last year, finished it up and put fresh in there this year.

Did 30 min of yoga today then an hour of the extremepump class. Tomorrow I'll walk on the treadmill backwards and then do the elliptical. They have a different one, part of the AMT, never used it, but want to try.

Lila - when I first swas riding that horse, I couldn't believe how sore my inner thighs were. I was exercising regularly so figured I was in pretty decent shape, but no go. I do have two stitches from that wisdom tooth.

Meg - I've found that unless I check in often, there are just too many posts to catch up on -- and that's just one day's worth! Happy birthday to you daughter. And just why did you find the need to nap???????????????? <smile>

DeeDee - Bryan used to work for Famous Footwear and they'd take returns on shoes, even ones that have been worn. That I was surprised at, but I tried it and they did. So I tried it at another store, and they took the shoes back too. That REALLY shocked me.

jane - you'll do just fine on the job, you are a caring person and that means so much. Did hubby come home after they asked him to change his hours?

Well, off to mahjongg. I swear, this is the only time I get to play any more. If it's raining, I usually have running around that needs to be done. Like it's supposed to rain tomorrow, but I really should work on those coasters. I have 4 (well, almost 4) made, need to make 2 more and then finish them off. Have a great evening everyone.

Michele
  • jb_2011
    jb_2011 Posts: 1,029 Member
    This morning I had a nice go with yoga, push ups, weights and crunches. I did well with everything except the back stretch from seated position - so much tension in the spine! Need to work on that daily. Hiked with the dogs through the giant maple leaves at the park (forgot camera again), came home, had a huge salad and bowl of kidney bean & kale soup, then decided to plop my fanny in the chair. I'm keeping my shoulder blades pulled together a bit, have to work on sitting up straighter! I notice I've been slumping lately.

DeeDee, the shoes! Ouch. They don't fit right somehow, maybe it's the same as what happened to Lila. I've had that happen from shoes that were too tight across the toes even though they didn't feel tight when I tried them on at the store. I've found Nike running shoes to be the best walking shoe for me, and have found them on sale often for around $50. Can you return yours? If not, you might have to have them stretched at a shoe repair place.

I just asked my hubby how he rooted the rosemary. Cut a stem about 8"-10" long and strip the leaves off from the cut end up about 4" Bury all 4" of the stripped end in a small pot with 5"- 6" of potting soil. Keep soil plenty moist but not not soggy, and out of direct sunlight. I think this could be done in a kitchen window as well. That's all there is to it. I think it took about 3 weeks for ours to root, but we did it in early summer. I don't think it matters what time of year you do it, but it might take longer when the weather's cooler. The roots grow out from where the leaves grew on the stem. After a few weeks you can carefully take the stem out of the soil and check for little rooties!

Alrighty, time to get ready for work. I'll try not to munch on anything when I pass through the kitchen.

:smile: jb
  • calmrose
    calmrose Posts: 17 Member
    Calmrose and DeeDee - To use the quote feature, just go to the post that you want and hit the quote button. At the top and bottom, you will see (/quote) only with brackets instead of parentheses. Go to the end, making sure that you are after the quote mark, hit enter, and type as usual. If you only want to quote part of the post, go ahead and delete part of it. As long as you leave the quote notation at the beginning and end, it will post in the blue box as a quote. If this is too confusing, let me know and I will try again. Mary
    Thank you Mary, I tried it and will see now if I have done it right.

Barbie I have printed your advice and will read it often, it is great advice for me right now

For the one who posted the "Ginger Roasted Carrot Bisque - I tried it today and it is amazing, I love it. My family isn't too crazy about it though so guess I'll be eating it myself.

Sundance - Thanks for caring, I use the brace most of the time since I am still doing the job that created the problem in the first place. I have made a few adjustments though and I use ice on it often. I took the brace off yesterday and have not put it back on yet so maybe I am getting better.

Joann 1948 - So sorry for your loss
  • GrannySparkle
    GrannySparkle Posts: 225 Member
    Having a bad day. Not feeling well. Gotta make dinner but have no idea what. I should have put something together long before now. Hubby will be home soon.
  • lizmil79
    lizmil79 Posts: 566 Member
    Hello Ladies,

Happy Veterans Day! Grateful for all who is serving and has served.

@Lin paper work does have a life fo its own doesn't it. I know how much I try to keep up on it always seems to double. Bless you for taking care of your Dad.

@ Lila Thank you for sharing about Rembrance day. Snow it is spitting snow here I am for sure not ready for it but I know its coming.
    @Dee I have problems with quotes too. Those shoes don't sound right to me either. I have problems with my ankles so careful picking out shoes but my heal hurts alot at times just by stepping on it so I always look for shoes that has good cushion in them.
    @Michele I hope you feel better soon. Wisdom teeth how painful.
    @Mary thank you for the info on how to use the quote thing.
    @Linda sorry it hurts you so much to posts to us.
    @Jb love your profile picture.
    @Meg sorry to hear that you are still not feeling well. Hope you start feeling 100% soon.
    @Jane-- Hope the job interview went well and you get the job.
    @JaneH. -- I have been there going to celebrate with friends and the choice isn't the best but I know you will do your best. Enjoy your time with your friend. The food will take care of itself.

Today is my last day off back to work tomorrow.

So today was catching up on errands and getting ready for the work week, laundry etc. Went to Costco. That was my big out. DH wants to us go to Goldern Corral for his free Vet 's day meal. But I think her's talking himself out of it. So yay!! But if he wants too I will go with hime to support him. If not we will have chicken tonight with potatos/carrots and a green salad.

I am watching Dr Oz right now not there is a lot on here not sure what I think somethings like I couldn't do it but one of the things a guest he had on says if you start your day with 2 whole eggs or 4 egg whites you will feel fuller longer and so eat less. That one I agree with for I have been finding this true before starting MFP I rarely had eggs for breakfast unless I went out to eat.
    But i have notice this to be true for me if I eat another protein not the same as when I start my day out with eggs.

I need to go now to get somethings done.

Wishing everyone a good day.
    Liz
  • AnnasGrammie
    AnnasGrammie Posts: 13 Member
    Hi Barbie,

I am from North Florida and well over 50. I sure need your encouragement to stick with this for good this time.
  • mwheatcraft54
    mwheatcraft54 Posts: 235 Member
    Hi, Ladies -

I'm back, sort of. Weird week, this past - had a bit of reflecting, dealt with office sadness and meltdowns, more memories . . . crappy eating and drinking too - and watched Penn State get beat by the Cornhuskers. However, it was lovely in Phoenix, great weather, got some walking in with DH, even exercised with him to P90X one day, managed to keep the calories under control for the most part, and lost a pound in the process. We both agree though that we need to keep trips like that to the minimum.

I haven't had a chance to read anything yet, but I wanted to say Hi! and that I haven't forgotten you all :smile:. I woke up this morning, logged my calories, and made myself work out. Tomorrow will be even easier now that the first step is out of the way. I have some lovely corn chowder on the stove (inspired by a delicious dish in Phoenix), cottage cheese and almonds ready for snacks, a bowl full of fruit on the counter, and ingredients for pumpkin spice protein shakes at the ready. I may have missed the window for walking (supposed to rain tomorrow), but my house is a little tidier now and the grocery shopping is out of the way and I can always do another workout in the evening - tomorrow I think it's scrubbing floors. I'm in a fall cleaning mode if you can't tell :bigsmile:.

Have a lovely evening and I'll catch up with you soon!

M.
  • mch1956
    mch1956 Posts: 62 Member
    Hello all -
    Barbie -thanks for the veteran'sday graphics. I'm a vet and really appreciated it. Yesterday at Mass the vets were honored, then went with my Mom to see Dad in the Alzheimer's unit. Dad is another vet in the family. It was proud but a little sad day.
    Take care of yourselves,
    MaryC
  • DeeDee2211
    DeeDee2211 Posts: 1,133 Member
    :flowerforyou: Along with paying attention to the number of calories or whether to eat your exercise calories is being mindful of “what” you are eating. Nourishing your body to help it move and live effectively and to keep your metabolism working requires fueling with good nutrition. Budgeting calories is a lot like budgeting your limited money…….if you don’t have a lot to “spend” then the calories should be used for foods that provide maximum nutrition---an obvious example is using 100 calories for a large serving of steamed green beans rather than for a 100 calorie “snack pack” or salad dressing or butter. One of the great benefits of logging your food on MFP is that you can look over your food plan for the day and find where you might have made better decisions about how to spend your calories. I stopped eating bread and pasta not because of any gluten or carb issues but because I could use the calories from a piece of bread or a tiny serving of pasta for a huge serving of steamed vegetables. If you have an extra 30 minutes in your day, do you spend it taking a walk or sitting on the couch watching TV…..when you get a phone call do you walk back and forth through your house or sit at your computer and play solitaire while you talk?

:heart: Barbie from NW Washington

Sorry everyone, I am having trouble figuring out how this QUOTE thing works, I have done it wrong a couple of times. I was impressed by this post from Barbie from NW Washington and wanted to let her know that it was timely for me just now.

Looks like I did it wrong again.
    Calmrose and DeeDee - To use the quote feature, just go to the post that you want and hit the quote button. At the top and bottom, you will see (/quote) only with brackets instead of parentheses. Go to the end, making sure that you are after the quote mark, hit enter, and type as usual. If you only want to quote part of the post, go ahead and delete part of it. As long as you leave the quote notation at the beginning and end, it will post in the blue box as a quote. If this is too confusing, let me know and I will try again. Mary
    Well Mary lets see if this works.

Thank you, thank you , thank you:flowerforyou:
  • DeeDee2211
    Good evening beautiful ladies:flowerforyou:

Kathy:smile: It`s wonderful to have more energy isn`t it, I love it!

Meg:smile: Happy birthday to DD#1:flowerforyou: . Glad you got the tiara...wear it often!!!

Sue:smile: That half a pound will come back off!!! 27 pecan trees:noway: , I bet that does keep you and hubby busy ! Oh my, a horse that ate the clothes off the clothes line:laugh: , that`s just too funny!!! I live in NC, the piedmont/triad area, about 3 1/2 hours from the baech and a couple hours to the mountains, it`s a great location!!! Yep, those shoes were made in China:frown: ! I`m going to take them back tomorrow!

Laura80111:smile: Sounds like you had a wonderful busy anniversary weekend!!! Is the boss back in the office?

Robin:smile: Start tapping again!!!! I know when you`re stressed and tired it`s harder to care about what you eat, just remember you`re worth it!

Lila:smile: Thanks for the info about the shoes! The lady asked me what size I was, told her an 8 and she said I`d probably need an 81/2 in this shoe, yet she brought out the 8 and it felt fine waking around in there, bet you`re right I need the 81/2!!! I`m taking them back tomorrow!

Mary:smile: thank you again!!!

JaneMartin:smile: Keeping my fingers crossed you get the job!!!!

ChrisHanselma:smile: Sorry you`re having a bad day and not feeling well:flowerforyou: , hope tomorrow will be better!!!

Liz:smile: Sounds like you got lots accomplished on your day off!

M:smile: Glad to see you back!!! I`ve missed your posts!!! Corn chowder:love: YUM!

MaryC:smile: Thanks for all you`ve done for this wonderful country of ours:flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: !!!!

Okay this is my 3rd post today, and now I`m tired and my bed is calling my name! Sleep well and sweet dreams!!! Until tomorrow...

Hugs,
    DeeDee
  • janemartin02
    janemartin02 Posts: 2,653 Member
    Good eve,
    The interview went well.it`s a part timer caregiver job a few eve a week,to start.I feel a little rusty as I haven`t done this in a couple years.I know I like this kind of work and that`s half the battle,I just have to trust in God and myself.
    I have 2 grandma days this week.Violet comes her usual Tues and my DIL is bringing the baby out to see me Thurs.
    I may not have a lot in life,a house of my own,etc.My true blessings are my family and my beautiful grand children.
    Thanks for all your well wishes.You are a awesome group,so proud to be part of it.
    Hugs
    jane m
  • msh0530
    msh0530 Posts: 1,675 Member
    Anyone new to the thread, PLEASE READ: I belive that this will be post #473 on this thread, unless someone else is posting simultaneously. Anyway, when we reach 500 posts, this thread will be full. In small letters at the bottom of the last post, it will say this topic continued here. Click on that link, and you will find us, alive and well, and probably as chatty as ever, in a new thread. Please don't lose us! We need you! Mary
  • genealace
    genealace Posts: 240 Member
    Just a quick reply before I go to bed. Jb when I freeze my herbs (and I use them a lot because I am allergic to pepper and most spices) I wash them, dry them, chop them and then lay the chopped herbs on a flat tray and lay it carefully in the freezer. After a day or so, I gently give them a stir to break up any clumps. Then after about 10 days to 2 weeks I can take them out and they are perfectly freeze-dried and I can put them into a jar.

I think I'm going to try keeping the Rosemary alive, but if it looks like it will croak, I'll chop it and freeze dry it. I did pick some leaves off it a few weeks ago and crushed them and put them into some olive oil. I haven't tasted it yet.

Michele - I think they mean that you need to leave (or make) a long loop at the top to hang the ornament. You can either do it as you go past that point (I think I'd make sure I've put in an extra stitch (if possible) before and after the thread I've left for the loop. Are your ornaments two sided or do you cover the back with something? If so you could anchor the loop between the layers.

Off to bed - good night all
  • barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 17,132 Member
    :flowerforyou: On the topic of eating exercise calories----it works for some and not so well for others, but the most important thing is to eat enough to nourish your body which might mean eating some of the exercise calories and making sure to leave out as much “non-nutritional” food as possible.

:flowerforyou: On the topic of winter----I love crispy ground to walk and a limited amount of snow----the dogs love the snow---I like not being required to do yard work because the ground is frozen----I love sleeping under piles of blankets, wearing the wool hats, scarves, and sweaters that I knit, having a fire in the wood stove, short days filled with darkness to stay indoors or walk by flashlight and the resulting sense of gratitude that comes as the days get longer…I love the contrast with the other seasons

:smile: How to use the quote feature----Mary wrote an excellent explanation

:smile: And thank you Mary for the explanation of what to do when we get to 500 posts.

:flowerforyou: DeeDee, I’d go back to the store with the shoes….I wear my Sketchers Shape-Ups for walking when it’s warm and dry, New Balance waterproof shoes for warmer wet weather and Columbia Bugaboots ( rated to keep feet warm to -25 degrees) on cold days

:flowerforyou: Sue, my graphics all come from www.glittergraphics.com No graphics skills, just computer skills.

:flowerforyou: AnnasGrammie, this is a great place to find the encouragement you seek…..everyone on this thread will become part of your family if you keep coming back

569147nmlfkdnzlz.gif

blame it on the exercise bike and DWTS that I don't have time to spend on the computer:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

:heart: Barbie from NW Washington
  • tiarapants
    tiarapants Posts: 1,015 Member
    Good morning my friends.

Barbie - I am going to look up those Bugaboots you mentioned! I get such cold feet on my walks.

I've already done my 'dad-talking-down-from-the-ledge' bit today. I can't believe how insecure and paranoid he is about absolutely everything. If only there was a magic cure, but he talks himself into all kinds of worries. He is totally obsessive about being ill. Every little burp or hiccup is a sign of cancer or heart attack in his mind. If he could stop obsessing and start enjoying his life more, we would all be happier. He's 81 and who knows how much time he has left with us, if only he would enjoy what he has left.

Sorry - rant over. I cricked my neck at work yesterday (climbing on my desk to reach something - stupid of me, but I'm impetuous sometimes) and it stopped me from sleeping well - always makes me grumpy.

Aggh, I've just discovered that I've lost one of my favourite earrings! They are platinum eiffel towers and I must have lost one on the way to work. Darn it!

Ok my friends, I'm going to try to be a better girl now and get on with the myriad tasks I have ahead today.

Be well. Be safe. Be happy.

Love to all.
    Amanda x
  • DMOMofTHREE
    DMOMofTHREE Posts: 55 Member
    Good morning to all,

Just saw this posted on Facebook by MoneySavingMom and had to share.

Dont-Try-to-Overhaul-Your-Life-Overnight.jpg

Have a great Tuesday!

Lynn
  • DeeDee2211
    Good morning beautiful ladies:flowerforyou:

JaneMartin:smile: Enjoy those beautiful granddaughters this week!!! You`re right our blessings are our family and our friends, those that will stick with us through thick and thin!!!

Mary:smile: Good post for all the newbies!!!

Genealace:smile: That`s interesting about freeze drying the rosemary, if I ever get enough I might try that, it`s got to be better than the dried stuff from the store!

Barbie:smile: I love the gratitude to winter!!!! I have to admit I`m enjoying watching the leaves swirling to ground on my walks with Noel, she likes to chase them!

Amanda:smile: I hope things with your dad will get better, it`s just so sad:cry: ! Hope your neck is feeling better today...and hope you find your earring!!!

Lynn:smile: It`s nice to see your smiling face on your profile pic!!! Great post!!!

It`s rainy here this morning and much cooler than it has been:sad: , means warmer clothes and a heavier coat for today:frown: . Hopefully it also means the pain in my shoulder will now go away since the cold front has come through, it has been a bear the past few days:angry: . Noel is looking at me with those bright eyes and they look a little watery, must be time to go outside:laugh: . Hope everyone has a wonderful day!!! Drink your water:drinker: :drinker: :drinker: and log your food!!!!

Hugs,
    DeeDee
  • carojrrn
    carojrrn Posts: 69 Member
    Good Morning Ladies!

Hope today is a Terrific Tuesday for all! I enjoyed the last hurrah of mild weather and rode the bike outside with DH. Today it is windy and rainy and the forecast is for the colder weather to stay with us now. DD#2 came home for DH to fix her car. We took her out to dinner and luckily for me they chose a place with good food options for me! I didn't get to plan for the week yet... Had a filling replaced yesterday and food choices in the house are limited. Thought I might make some soup....

Michele- Hope your tooth experience is done so you can get back to your busy bee routine! LOL
    DeeDee- Take the shoes back! A reputable store should have no problem with this...If not put them on E-Bay!
    Lynn- THANKS for the motivational quote! Sure needed to hear that!
    jb- Please post the recipe for kidney bean and kale soup... sounds delish!
    Meg- Feel better soon! Hopefully this is your "major" sickness for the year! LOL
    Linda Sundance- WTG with your optimism about your injury! You are rocking the exercise anyway!
    Liz- LOVE Dr. Oz!!! He has such charisma and great advice!
    Amanda- Glad you had fun at your Gbabies party. Sorry your Dad is not enjoying the moment. Hang in there!
    Jolene- Hope you are doing ok....Thinking of you.

To everyone else- I read all the posts I got behind on. Hope you continue to follow the yellow brick road!!!! One day at a time!

Take care,
    Carolyn
  • Bumping to read later...I am 66 and have been on here since March think. You look like a fantastic ole model. I have been in and out of 4 hspitals llol month of Oct., ut I ll try to read someitme this month. Tks for the message boards:):wink: :smile: :happy: :love: :flowerforyou: :glasses: :heart:
  • suebdew
    suebdew Posts: 1,330 Member
    I was so happy to see your post because we're the same age. I thought I was the only one on MFP in the 70's! Welcome and hope to get to know you better. I'm also new to this group.