What did you do with your wedding dress?

Options

Replies

• Toya2xcel
    Toya2xcel Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    I kept it for 2 years but it was just taking up space in our closet, so I cleaned it and sold it to a dude on Craigslist who was the costume designer for a local theater. The play had a wedding scene in it and the "bride" needed a dress. :-)

At the time that I sold my dress my daughter was 1 but fashion trends will be so different by the time she gets married, I seriously doubt that she will want to wear my dress. Plus, I wouldn't want my daughter to feel like she was obligated to wear my dress just because I saved it.
  • lenoresaari
    lenoresaari Posts: 500 Member
    Options
    My dress got soaked in a flood from a storm drain backing up sewage into the bottom floor of my previous house.
    Needless to say, it was one of many things I threw away and never got reimbursed by insurance because we didnt the 10 dollar a year rider on our policy at the time. The previous owners had left a pipe unsealed and the outside got inside- unbelievable. I got the flood policy after that and luckily had it for when the water heater blew up a couple
    of years later and flooded the downstairs again. This time with clean water and not such so much water.
  • Scorpia1997
    Scorpia1997 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    I had mine folded nicely into a box when it was finished dry cleaning...
  • starcatcher1975
    starcatcher1975 Posts: 292 Member
    Options
    My first wedding dress I rented (we were young, dumb, poor, and my ex husband was a jerk about my dream dress- which actually wasn't much more expensive than what renting a dress was)

My second wedding my exhusband helped me pick out and I think it's shoved in the garment bag probably in my storage shed. It's a very simple dress and the ring bearer's pillows sound like an awesome idea if I keep it. My veil and tiara I sent to a friend in Texas. My best friend's mother and I both worked on the veil and it was beautiful. But I didn't need it and she was getting married. Then she called it off so didn't use it.

I'm ever lucky enough (or crazy enough) to get married I'm just going to the courthouse in whatever I happen to be wearing. Or maybe getting a casual dress that I can wear over and over again.

I'm going to check some of these donation places. I really like that idea
  • amanda52488
    amanda52488 Posts: 260 Member
    Options
    sell it on ebay!
  • jenilla1
    jenilla1 Posts: 11,118 Member
    Options
    My wedding dress was at my mom's house and it was incinerated when her house burned down. The exact same thing happened to my mom's dress 25 years earlier when my grandma's house burned down. If I ever have a daughter, she will not be allowed to store her dress at my house! It's family tradition - those dresses are dangerous! :devil:
  • grdnr03
    grdnr03 Posts: 547 Member
    Options
    Great question, I had mine preserved (with intenstions of making something out of it~ never happend) the dress sat in box for 10 years and 3 moves . So when I was a member at Curves through them, I donated the dress to a good cause can't remember the name (Brides with cancer something along those line). But before I took it in, I photographed my girls in the dress and vail, they thought it was neat, and I'm glad to have donated it because one of my daughters is almost 6ft tall I'm 5'4"!! So to hope either one would wear it for their special day, no~ let their dress be their dress.

No regrets
  • luvmydog2
    luvmydog2 Posts: 243 Member
    Options
    :laugh: Hired Mine ... was lovely !
  • charelg
    charelg Posts: 599 Member
    Options
    Since I had gone through a divorce....Goodwill.
  • lunglady
    lunglady Posts: 526 Member
    Options
    Sitting uselessly in the box from the dry cleaner for over ten years. perhaps I should donate it.....
  • unhinge
    unhinge Posts: 318 Member
    Options
    Finally able to ware it again on our 26th anniversary.... wore it to the beach!

_MG_7652sm.jpg

_MG_7668sm.jpg
  • serena569
    serena569 Posts: 427 Member
    Options
    My grandmother modeled hers for Grandpa every year on their anniversary. My mom shoved hers in a closet and it literally fell apart 30 years later.

I burned mine after my divorce. Actually, I TRIED to burn it. There was so much polyester that it just melted and ruined my Weber grill but still sooooo worth it.
  • huron81
    Options
    Lost it in a move at some time, probably. I remember it hanging in the closet for several years after the wedding - but I honestly have no idea what actually happened to it. (There was no divorce, we had 38th anniversary this year. I just have absolutely no idea where it went :)
  • JustANumber85
    JustANumber85 Posts: 644 Member
    Options
    I had mine for about 2yrs and then I threw it away. To be honest, it wasnt anything special to me. It wasnt what i wanted to wear and it was just hanging there.
  • soccermum75
    soccermum75 Posts: 588 Member
    Options
    Finally able to ware it again on our 26th anniversary.... wore it to the beach!

_MG_7652sm.jpg

_MG_7668sm.jpg

Love the dress! You look so gorgeous and happy!
  • ChristineS_51
    ChristineS_51 Posts: 872 Member
    Options
    I made my own dress (1972) and it is still hanging in my wardrobe in a plastic bag. My daughters wouldn't fit into it, so don't know why I am keeping it. Just because. Maybe I can try & see if I can fit into it again now I have lost weight! I also still have my "wedding night" negligee set, have been wearing that since I lost weight :laugh:

My daughter recently got married, she is going to clean her dress using lux flakes and our bathtub, then might sell on ebay, unless my second daughter would wear it - stunning dress.
  • RubyRed8067
    Options
    If you aren't scared of cutting it up (don't want it hanging in the closet forever), why not pillows or making into a Christianing gown for your baby? Pinterest it :-)
  • newmein2013
    newmein2013 Posts: 674 Member
    Options
    It was cleaned & in the box for 23 years. After the divorce I wanted to have a party & burn it in the fire pit but I didn't want the toxins in the air so I just brought it to the curb on garbage night.
  • laserturkey
    laserturkey Posts: 1,680 Member
    Options
    The one from my first wedding is preserved in a special box, probably in storage at my dad's house. I should just give it to charity, since I have no use for it and I don't think my daughter will, either. The one from my second (and final) marriage was boxed up and donated to The Salvation Army. Both were formal gowns, and pretty costly ones.
  • maramarx
    Options
    I only got married 3 months ago lol (that's me in my wedding dress in my profile pic)

I'm doing a trash the dress photo shoot before the end of summer (in four months time) I'm hoping I've lost a bit of weight before then.

After that I will clean it to the best we can and keep it lol It was my design, custom made so very close to my heart lol