Sister wives

Options

Replies

• pants77
    pants77 Posts: 185 Member
    Options
    For all of those who believe any marriage should be legal if all parties involved are consenting adults- what about the children? Do we know enough of how children are affected by it? Should we care? Or should we just step back and allow adults to make their own choices for themselves and their children? Really curious about opinions on this.

What about the kids? As long as they're not being abused in any way, it shouldn't affect them whatsoever.

Actually it does. In the case of same-sex marriages the opposite gender child will suffer. Children need a same gender and opposite gender parent to learn and grow ideally.

BUT don't take my word for it. Go and do some research. That's what I did and that's what I discovered.

leaving-now-grandpa-simpsons.gif
  • kenazfehu
    kenazfehu Posts: 1,188 Member
    Options
    I've watched it a few times but it's kind of boring.

I could share; we need a wife - one who likes cleaning.
  • leomom72
    leomom72 Posts: 1,797 Member
    Options
    i know the concept of the show (which i dont watch), and polygamy, and to each their own..personally, i think it is kind of gross..sharing 1 man amongst how many women..its like a religious whorry man..stupid..but i dont practice it, so do as they like i suppose:indifferent:
  • penrbrown
    penrbrown Posts: 2,685 Member
    Options

leaving-now-grandpa-simpsons.gif

Best rebuttal yet. :D
  • Chinadorian
    Chinadorian Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    For all of those who believe any marriage should be legal if all parties involved are consenting adults- what about the children? Do we know enough of how children are affected by it? Should we care? Or should we just step back and allow adults to make their own choices for themselves and their children? Really curious about opinions on this.

^^ this - keep reading folks in this thread saying "It's all good between consenting adults" bla bla bla..... but those kids, however many they are, are NOT "consenting adults". It affects them, too....
    does anyone else remember how its ILLEGAL in the US to be married to more than one person at a time...just saying..maybe Im confused about the law???

*shrugs* Apparently my ex "forgot" or was "confused about the law" cuz he married someone else years ago while he was still married to me.... :tongue: :laugh: Must be a law for only "smart people" to be able to comprehend. :laugh: :devil: Good riddance!!! :drinker:

exactly....seems kinda stupid to even want more than one spouse at a time. and entirely arrogant and self serving for that matter. IMO
  • ladymiseryali
    ladymiseryali Posts: 2,555 Member
    Options

What about the kids? As long as they're not being abused in any way, it shouldn't affect them whatsoever.

Actually it does. In the case of same-sex marriages the opposite gender child will suffer. Children need a same gender and opposite gender parent to learn and grow ideally.

BUT don't take my word for it. Go and do some research. That's what I did and that's what I discovered.

Um, proof? What about a girl raised by just her father or a son raised just by his mother? Do they also suffer? The research I've seen says that children raised by gay parents are suffering no more or less than children raised by a mom and dad.
  • firstsip
    firstsip Posts: 8,399 Member
    Options
    Whoops, spoke too soon on the first page!

5KohS.gif
  • penrbrown
    Options

Um, proof? What about a girl raised by just her father or a son raised just by his mother? Do they also suffer? The research I've seen says that children raised by gay parents are suffering no more or less than children raised by a mom and dad.

Please see where I stated I can't post any proof because I don't do my research online. :) Sorry. I'll leave it alone and back off. I realize no opinion is valid online unless it can be backed.

Also, I don't believe single parent home situations are ideal for children either.
  • KANGOOJUMPS
    KANGOOJUMPS Posts: 6,473 Member
    Options
    this show is very disturbing.
  • wrentrotter
    Options
    From what I gathered from the show he actually picked the last wife, the wives agreed (who knows why...pressure from him? I imagine he would sulk like a little kid if he didn't get his own way) , but he picked her. I think he went on dates with her without even telling them.

They expect everyone to be tolerant of them but show little tolerance for other types of polyamorous relationships, one woman and multiple men for example. Quite bigoted I think, and not a good advert for this type of relationship.

He is forever running around like a chicken with its head cut off (but not actually doing much) and is thoroughly unlikable.
  • ladymiseryali
    ladymiseryali Posts: 2,555 Member
    Options

Please see where I stated I can't post any proof because I don't do my research online. :) Sorry. I'll leave it alone and back off. I realize no opinion is valid online unless it can be backed.

Also, I don't believe single parent home situations are ideal for children either.

So in your mind, only two parents of the same gender should be allowed to raise children because of your own experience, when other children have been raised differently and have turned out just fine.........that's a sad view.
  • ThePinkPretzel
    Options
    i could never ever ever share my man, haha i don't know how they do that! i would be so jealous!

here in utah it isn't such a phenomenom though!
  • wrevhn
    wrevhn Posts: 864 Member
    Options
    <<<<< can not share a man! :angry:

b!tches would die.:mad:

Not to mention, how can a guy handle more than one wife? I'm a handful! :laugh:
  • penrbrown
    Options

So in your mind, only two parents of the same gender should be allowed to raise children because of your own experience, when other children have been raised differently and have turned out just fine.........that's a sad view.

? Where did I mention 'allowed'? I didn't. I simply said it's better for children to have two parents, one of the same gender and one of opposite gender. Sometimes the ideal isn't what we get though.
  • pbandshellie
    pbandshellie Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    I watch this show, I think it's interesting that someone can be in a relationship like that (my tiny inner feminist is thinking "men would never marry a woman with 3 other husbands" though) The only part I think is wrong, is when they find out that their children won't want to be in a marriage like theirs and they are insulted. They need to be more understanding with their children, and I am sure that the kids are picked on at school - I know they used to go to a Mormon school where it is semi-accepted (or at least more accepting than a public school) but they did just move and I'm not sure what type of school they're in now.
  • kellyallday
    kellyallday Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    I watched it and I decided that my husband should become a brother husband. But he said no. So selfish!

LOL! If I didn't think lightning would come down and strike me, I'd totally be down with a couple of husbands. I generally have to put two guys I'm dating together to get a decent one, so what else is new? ;) I'm totally joking... well mostly.
  • penrbrown
    Options
    From what I gathered from the show he actually picked the last wife, the wives agreed (who knows why...pressure from him? I imagine he would sulk like a little kid if he didn't get his own way) , but he picked her. I think he went on dates with her without even telling them.

They expect everyone to be tolerant of them but show little tolerance for other types of polyamorous relationships, one woman and multiple men for example. Quite bigoted I think, and not a good advert for this type of relationship.

He is forever running around like a chicken with its head cut off (but not actually doing much) and is thoroughly unlikable.

I agree SO MUCH!

This family was NOT a good way to introduce polygamy to the masses. Just my opinion.

I've actually known polygamous families who were better models then this. >.<
  • BinaryPulsar
    BinaryPulsar Posts: 8,927 Member
    Options
    If they are doing it because they enjoy it then I think that's fine, as long as they are providing a healthy home life for the children and are available to them.

The thing I find disturbing is if they are doing it because they think they have to for religious reasons and to get into a good place in heaven. That's a dangerous motivation for so many reasons and ways that it could go wrong in a person's life (and a child's life) and the resentment it would lead to. And it's just my opinion, but I prefer to live my life for contributing to a good world here and now, not for some imagined life after this one.
  • reasnableblonde
    reasnableblonde Posts: 212 Member
    Options
    It's definitely not for me... if I'm going to put my husband above all others, he better put me there in return!

What I don't understand is it's always one man, multiple women. To me, that doesn't seem right. I'm all for living how you want to live as long as you're not hurting anyone else, but I'm fairly certain all of these polygamist men would have fits if another husband was brought on board. Why is it one-sided?
  • TripleJ3
    TripleJ3 Posts: 945 Member
    Options

No, Meri, the first wife, met Robin through mutual friends and really liked her. Meri suggested to her husband who thought she was attractive to start "courting".