Dumb warning labels

Options

Replies

• VelociMama
    VelociMama Posts: 3,119 Member
    Options
    At a hotel with full kitchen "do not sit on stove top while hot"

Oh OK, cuz I was going to ask my guest to sit there for dinner!

But it adds flavor!

LMAO!
  • wheldar
    Options
    I guess the one that won the lawsuit for no warning label...HA!
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    tumblr_m74iz90Tde1rpga6zo1_500.jpg
  • gotogirl81
    gotogirl81 Posts: 278 Member
    Options
    Silica packets -'Do not Eat'
    Oh really? Because for a second there I thought a snack came with my new shoes.

once when i worked at Target I was cleaning the shoe department and found a half eaten hot dog in a shoe box. thanks for the present!!Yuumm....:sick:
  • AmyJMadison
    AmyJMadison Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    All rightie... just was reading a recipe for tonights supper and it stated 1)PREHEAT OVEN TO 375 DEGREES, 2) PLACE QUICHE INSIDE OVEN. 3) BAKE Really? My oven doesn't bake what is on the counter?
  • allisonj87
    allisonj87 Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    I can't remember which car it is but it is 'flying' and the warning at the bottom of the screen says'Cars do not fly'
  • mfp_1
    mfp_1 Posts: 516 Member
    Options
    A warning label only means somebody wrote it. Anything else is speculation.

Maybe somebody did the thing somebody wrote. Maybe they didn't.
    Maybe somebody did the thing somebody wrote and won money in court. Maybe they didn't.
    Maybe somebody did the thing somebody wrote and won money in court and the new magic words will change the outcome of a court case. Maybe it won't.
    Maybe somebody was told to think of all possible warning scenarios and wrote them down. Maybe they weren't told that.
  • arewethereyet
    arewethereyet Posts: 18,702 Member
    Options
    Silica packets -'Do not Eat'
    Oh really? Because for a second there I thought a snack came with my new shoes.

once when i worked at Target I was cleaning the shoe department and found a half eaten hot dog in a shoe box. thanks for the present!!Yuumm....:sick:

Working at Zayres as a teen, a lady returned a dress. As I showed her the tag that said KMart, I gently explained she would have to go there. She whined, "But the bus doesn't run there!"

:laugh:
  • Snitch1
    Snitch1 Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    BUMP: Just 'cuz some night's I cannot fall asleep. AEB the time now....
  • gkwatra
    gkwatra Posts: 431 Member
    Options
    Bump, plus:

"Do not use for drying pets." -- In the manual for a microwave oven.

Hahahahahah :laugh:

Unfortunately, years ago when microwave ovens first started being sold, people did this with their pets. My uncle worked in the Sears Appliance Repair Dept. and had to clean out one where a lady had put her poodle in to dry it. Horrible.
  • mfp_1
    mfp_1 Posts: 516 Member
    Options
    gkwatra wrote:
    My uncle worked in the Sears Appliance Repair Dept. and had to clean out one where a lady had put her poodle in to dry it. Horrible.

It's a frequently told story in a variety of versions. Snopes says it's an urban legend:
    http://www.snopes.com/autos/techno/cruise.asp
  • shayyyface
    Options
    this one always got me:

we used to buy this puppy shampoo and it said this:

Caution: The contents of this bottle should not be fed to fish.
  • AuddAlise
    AuddAlise Posts: 723 Member
    Options
    Why my husband was in the Marine Corps, they would always give them these long lectures not to do really stupid stuff (don't eat the instant clot powder, for example). These warnings often came with the reminder that they were telling them this, because some Marine, somewhere had actually done it. I think the same holds in the civilian world, if a company bothers to print something on the label, it's because someone probably actually did that, and the company heard about it.

The obvious exception is labeling for common food allergens, they are required to print those, even if the product obviously contains ingredient X.

I believe this is true, both parts, but I am referencing the first. I used to think it was crazy to list some of these warnings, particularly in regards to ingesting odd things like bleach, shampoo, silica, until watching that show "My Strange Addiction". Holy crap, people will eat pretty much anything.

I am one of those people. I have PICA and I eat paper and like to suck on rocks/dirt. I try not to but sometimes I just "have" to.
  • k8blujay2
    k8blujay2 Posts: 4,941 Member
    Options
    the boat company my dad works for now has to put warnings not to reverse if someone is swimming behind the boat because someone in America (sorry but you guys seem to have a reputation for suing for everything :|) successfully sued the company after reversing over their friend.... boats work like cars if you put it into reverse and someone is behind they will come off worse... :|!

That's because the dumb *kitten* in the judicial system let them get away with it. Stupid lawsuits would go down dramatically if they would throw them out. But as long as there's a blood sucking lawyer needing to make a buck....

AMEN! We really are a litigious society.

Speaking of which (since all the good warning labels that I remember have already been posted)... there was a lady trying to sue Post cereals because the crunchberries in her Cap'n Crunch with Crunchberries weren't actually "berries"... she figured this out after eating the cereal for a few years.... I believe this one did actually get thrown out.
  • k8blujay2
    k8blujay2 Posts: 4,941 Member
    Options
    any type of coffee cup that has to say caution may be hot .... damn people and there crazy lawsuits for spilling coffee on themselves cause they where driving, texting and holding coffee all at the same time

That started with an elderly lady in a McDonald. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Liebeck_v._McDonald's_Restaurants

The fact she had over $10 k in med bills in 1994 makes me wonder how hot it was.

It made for some great Seinfeld episodes :tongue:

The woman had incredibly bad burns and had to have skin grafts. She was in the hospital for a long time. The coffee was WAY WAY WAY too hot...Its used as the classic example of the frivolous lawsuit but that's just because McDonald's won the PR war with the case. They were wrong.

If I remember correctly, didn't she stick the coffee cup in between her legs (as opposed to a cup holder) and it melted her pantyhose? Why would anyone want a hot drink between their legs to begin with?
  • LadyBuell
    Options
    Mine isn't a warning label so much as obvious instructions. I bought a CD case that holds 72 CDs. At the bottom it states "UNIT AUTOMATICALLY BECOMES PORTABLE WHEN CARRIED".
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,080 Member
    Options
    Bump, plus:

"Do not use for drying pets." -- In the manual for a microwave oven.

Hahahahahah :laugh:

Unfortunately, years ago when microwave ovens first started being sold, people did this with their pets. My uncle worked in the Sears Appliance Repair Dept. and had to clean out one where a lady had put her poodle in to dry it. Horrible.

Did your Uncle play "Pull my finger" with you and take you Snipe hunting? Or did he have a friend who woke up in Vegas in a tub full of ice and a missing kidney?
  • keenercam
    keenercam Posts: 321 Member
    Options
    Some of these are so funny. But even funnier than the warnings, I especially liked the PP's comment about the silica packet being a snack sold with her shoes. LOL!
  • MonicaLee92
    Options
    I like the packets of salt and pepper that say warning contains salt or warning contains pepper... really?
  • LauraMacNCheese
    LauraMacNCheese Posts: 7,198 Member
    Options
    82839554.png