Sexual Orientation Changed Through Reparative Therapy?

Options

Replies

• BinaryPulsar
    BinaryPulsar Posts: 8,927 Member
    Options
    I don't usually watch the Dr. Oz show, but I did watch this one when I saw the commercial about it. I'm not defending Dr. Oz. But, just want to say that he did not promote the conversion therapy. He said he was doing the show to get it out in the open. I did feel that he did a good job at allowing the most ample speaking time for people that are homosexual and have had bad experiences with conversion therapy and shared that (including becoming suicidal), and therapists that explained why conversion therapy goes against everything that therapy is supposed to be (to help people), as well as people from organizations speaking directly to any teens out there about how to get the proper help and education if they are struggling and don't have family support (such as if they have family that is promoting the "reparation" therapy or whatever it's called). So, I think it ended up being a good show.

I agree with everyone here that it is not ok to put kids/teens into that kind of therapy. I'm bisexual and it was sometimes a struggle for me when I was younger and trying to understand myself, then I grew up and it's no big deal. I would like to see a world in which it's no big deal for kids to be able to feel comfortable with who they are, while they are navigating their sexuality and growing. Being bisexual you do go through the "Am I gay, am I straight, what am I?" And then realizing being around a lot of people that say they understand if people are gay, but not bisexuality, followed by rude remarks. Although, I do think being gay is more of a challenge in difficult circumstances than it was for me being bisexual (just want to make that clear).
  • mfpcopine
    mfpcopine Posts: 3,093 Member
    Options
    I think the consensus is that sexual orientation is genetically influenced. I don't buy the idea that societal influences make a person gay. The U.S. is still such a heteronormative society that the pressure is to be straight, not gay.

I read a recent article about these therapies. For some it didn't, work, others were struggling, others were older and it may be that sex not as important. Being able to tolerate marriage and have relations with a woman when one is 60 is not the same thing as not being gay.
  • Wrreck
    Wrreck Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    I've always felt that you are born gay or straight. Anyone who has witnessed a small child exhibiting strong preference for one or the other should realize that it is part of a persons genetics. My mom's best friend has a son and by the time he was four we all knew that he would be gay. No problem to accept it, that was what he was born to be. To see people ridiculed or abused for their sexual orientation just makes me sick. Dr. Oz should be ashamed for promoting the brainwashing therapy. I've disliked him for a while, he seems to be going down the same path as Dr Phil. Promoting things that don't really work just for the kick back.
  • Kotuliak
    Kotuliak Posts: 259 Member
    Options
    "Therapy" suggests a malfunction, something that needs corrected.

Sexual orientation does not need to be corrected. Anything claiming it can do so is just a shaming tactic designed to shove obvious behaviors under the rug.
    Indeed! Regretfully, Germany appears to be moving in the direction away from recognizing that sexual orientation does not need to be corrected:

http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/news/world/germany-to-ban-sex-with-animals-report/story-fnddckzi-1226524544281
  • mfpcopine
    mfpcopine Posts: 3,093 Member
    Options
    I'm happy to see tolerance on the forum. I appreciate that some people do not agree with a lifestyle choice, but are willing to publicly state they accept homosexuality as something that just is.

^You are an extremely intelligent young man and I agree 100%:flowerforyou:

I think you're being overly generous to bigots. Besides, if sexual orientation "just is" than it's not a "choice." Whenever I read "lifestyle choice," I can't help thinking of interior recognition. People don't choose their orientation the way they would pick a rug.

I'm not gay, but I really believe that if I want my rights respected, I have a duty to support others in their struggle..
  • Kotuliak
    Kotuliak Posts: 259 Member
    Options
    This almost makes it sound like I'm OK with conversion therapy on an individual basis for adults- I am not. Just the fact that it exists is toxic, and will always be 'out there' as an 'option', indirectly hurting kids.
    That's pretty much true for any psychotherapy--just the fact that it exists is toxic. Basically, it is a statement to all the psychopaths, sociopaths, and psychotics -- there is something wrong with you.

Extremely judgmental.
  • Awkward30
    Awkward30 Posts: 1,927 Member
    Options
    I think the word therapy implies that there is a "correct" and a deviation from this, so I don't like it. If someone dislikes their attraction and chooses to try to change that, it's fine by me... but it isn't okay with me to say or imply that any preference is better than another. Whether it is genetically determined or effected by environment is pretty inconsequential to me.
  • Umeboshi
    Umeboshi Posts: 1,637 Member
    Options
    This almost makes it sound like I'm OK with conversion therapy on an individual basis for adults- I am not. Just the fact that it exists is toxic, and will always be 'out there' as an 'option', indirectly hurting kids.
    That's pretty much true for any psychotherapy--just the fact that it exists is toxic. Basically, it is a statement to all the psychopaths, sociopaths, and psychotics -- there is something wrong with you.

Extremely judgmental.

Way to compare gayness to sociopathy and to stigmatize mental illness. You truly are an exemplary human being. :noway:
  • JennyLisT
    JennyLisT Posts: 402 Member
    Options

Extremely judgmental.

I refuse to take you seriously.

iK32d.gif
  • BinaryPulsar
    BinaryPulsar Posts: 8,927 Member
    Options

Extremely judgmental.

I refuse to take you seriously.

iK32d.gif

Yeah this ^
  • celshade
    celshade Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    Everyone was a little gay in the 60's.

On the real, though:

I hate that we even still talk about this. It's so embarrassing. People used to have conversations like this over whether or not black people were "real people" and whether or not women should be allowed to work. Can you imagine? I really look forward to the day when tolerance on this issue is the default.
  • bloodysore
    bloodysore Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    And reason 452 why dr. Oz is a total hack.
  • teratologie
    teratologie Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Best thing I have ever read on the subject.
  • teratologie
    teratologie Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Why would someone choose to be part of a stereotyped, hassled group like that? I have known people who privately begged God to change them, to make them stop thinking about people of their own gender that way, until they realized it was just who they were and they needed to stop hating themselves for it.

Who you sleep with is a choice. Who you *want* to sleep with is not.
    YES.
  • Dave198lbs
    Dave198lbs Posts: 8,810 Member
    Options
    is it possible to think it is wrong but also to accept those that are?
    Of course it's possible, as demonstrated by the OP and some of the early posts that followed.

Though being tired of those "flamboyant gays" that "seem to be flaunting for the sole purpose of flaunting" probably doesn't fall into the "acceptance" bucket.

true...I must admit I do not like seeing a guy who has to make sure everyone knows his orientation. that would also go for flamboyant heterosexuals but I dont see that as often as the flamboyant gay who "over does" it.. I am not talking about the comment above where some guy makes a comment on some other guys *kitten*. I am talking about the guy who is overly feminine. not all gays are like that just like not all straight guys are super macho. I dont care for either. is that bigoted? maybe. sometimes I wonder if I am jaded.

as far as the topic is concerned, I would not advocate any kind of conversion therapy that wasn't self directed and self motivated.
  • toriaenator
    toriaenator Posts: 423 Member
    Options
    I think this is horrible :O even if it is brought on by society, etc who cares? its the persons choice at the end of the day.

i really really hope one day we will live in a world where such basic ideas such as the right to love who you want are considered an obvious norm ^^ right now im embarassed for any nation that is so backwards that they cannot accept this :/
  • myofibril
    myofibril Posts: 4,500 Member
    Options
    Is the Dr OZ show some kind of comedy show in the States, a bit like Saturday Night Live?
  • MrMeowGi
    MrMeowGi Posts: 171
    Options
    Who cares, gay brahs be liking dem men, leaving more chickies for us straight men, would like to one day have a gay wingman, in theory it's an awesome combo?

@toriaenator , I would love a world like that, but this is earth, and we are humans, always have to have that one person who is racist, homophobic ... etc etc etc etc... but maybe .. one day.

To those people who are against anything in general, why bother? two men/women loving eachother have the same effect on your life as two random people (male & female) loving eachother, no effect, at all -_- . Unless they are walking up to you in your apartment, making love after tying you up and FORCING you to watch, I mean, come on, grow up.
  • Izzwoz
    Izzwoz Posts: 348 Member
    Options
    Oh, it is totally a lifestyle choice - same as who you fall in love with and whether you are male or female, btw!

Edit: Oh, I forgot to mention the millions of people who died in WWII because of their lifestyle choice of being Jewish!
  • animatorswearbras
    animatorswearbras Posts: 1,001 Member
    Options
    if you are gay...good.

if you are straight...good.

But why on god's green earth do some gays (sorry but it seems gays do it more than straights) have to constantly announce their sexual orientation.

can you imagine if straight people suddenly started announcing they are straight as often as gays have to announce their choice?

and the flamboyant gays. They seem to be flaunting for the sole purpose of flaunting. it's tiring. stop it.

I quite constantly broadcast the fact that I'm heterosexual, my fitness page is dedicated to the fact I'm getting married, when I was single I used to comment on hot guys, and on a night out round town I have seen far more grossly overt please get a room hetero couples necking it outside pubs and clubs and on the night busses. Guys rating girls quite openly on shaggability and women grind dancing against guys, then I have seen from the gay community, although I do concede there's gay sluts too, but that's it, you get sluts in all orientations, please don't take it as me being a prude calling people slutty but gay people don't have a monopoly on broadcasting their sexuality at all and I am merely giving an example. In fact it took several months before most of my gay colleagues at work mentioned their same sex partners and it was in passing about going on holiday with their boyfriend and I had no idea either way, when on the other hand I probably bang on about my fiance within minutes of meeting most people.

Also although I am a very feminine dresser, stereotypical shoe, clothes, handbag and makeup lover, I also do stereotypically masculine stuff like play hardcore video games, work in a games job, collect graphic novels, lift heavy, swear (alot) and am a sarcky close the bone generally offensive humoured hoooman beiling, (but would probably get a guilt trip the size of your mama if I genuinely offended someone and they didn't take my dark sense of humour well ;P) I say stereotypically male and female behaviours because even though they're designated gender traits I don't think any gender trait is mutually exclusive so I don't see why anyone should be offended by femine guys or masculine girls if they wouldn't be offended by masculine guys and feminine girls.