Children throwing tantrums in stores! What??

Options

Replies

• julesxo
    julesxo Posts: 422 Member
    Options
    When they act up at a store it is entirely different than a sit down restaurant. Shopping can be a necessity, where as eating at a sit down restaurant is not. I don't really care if a persons shopping experience is "ruined" because a child is having a tantrum. As a parent, there can be times you have NO choice but to take your child with you. I am glad that I have the option to leave them at home but I understand that not every parent has that choice. Suck it up and be happy that you aren't in the parents shoes.
  • RRmath
    Options
    I see there are some people here in favor of spanking their children. If there is anyone here that has a college degree and thinks it is ok to spank children, please step forward. I know they have to exist, but I have never met a person under 75 that has a college degree and thinks it is ok to spank children.

Spanking is acceptable. It is not the same as beating your kid, it should not be done out of sheer anger, but utilized in a way to get your childs attention. BA in music with 3 declared minors.

This might be correct. The only argument I have ever heard in favor of an occasional spanking that makes any sense is when you have to get a child's attention to stop them right now (running into traffic, grabbing a hot stove etc). I think a lot of people would suggest that this sort of situation should be avoided entirely by being able to see far enough ahead to anticipate te danger.
  • solarpower4
    solarpower4 Posts: 250 Member
    Options
    On a related note:

To all the other parents out there whose young children sometimes throw tantrums in public, know that I as a mom, and most other moms out there, understand how you feel and are NOT judging you harshly. We sympathize, though there is not much we can say except "I've been there, too!" :flowerforyou:

The one exception is if you're beating your child - then I WILL step in to help you diffuse your anger in a less destructive way - often just by pointing out that we parents have all been there and it WILL pass.

And I agree with the other posters who pointed out that a store is not the same as a restaurant (where a parent really should leave if their child keeps screaming - more than just a few minutes - and disrupting the other diners who are paying for the service and atmosphere as well as the food at the restaurant).
  • Jacwhite22
    Jacwhite22 Posts: 7,012 Member
    Options
    Other people's children suck.

All children suck!

My children are pretty amazing.
  • jcstanton
    jcstanton Posts: 1,849 Member
    Options
    I was in Michaels yesterday and this father and son were shopping. I guess his kid (who looked around 3 or 4) wanted something, but dad wouldn't get it for him. This kid started pitching a fit in the store, crying...screaming (the usual tantrum). We got to listen to that for 45 minutes. We also had the joy of being in front of this kid and his dad in line to check out (more high pitched screaming and crying). The dad is trying to console this kid...but it doesn't stop him. When they got outside, the kid lays down on the sidewalk and basically starts thrashing and screaming and crying. Meanwhile, the dad is PLEADING with his 4 yr old to stop. WTH?? Why is a grown man trying to conjole this spoiled little brat? WHY do parents do this?

To any of you older people, what would your parents have done? I have one very distinct memory of pitching a fit for some doll. My parents took me out to the car and I got spanked there. Once we got home, I got the leather belt. I remember this spanking the most b/c the welp marks bled.... I'm so tired of this lack of discipline in kids. I have come across some of the rudest little twerps EVER, and am so happy I don't have any of my own. I know for a fact my temper would get the best of me if I had one.

rant over.

I absolutely would have been spanked for behaving that way. However, it would never have gotten to the point that I threw myself down, kicking and screaming. My mom would have left the store when I first started pitching a fit, leaving the cart wherever it happened to be at the time. She would have marched me straight out to the car, given me a few good swats on the butt, and sat there with me until I stopped crying. Then would come the "lecture", which I usually hated more than the spanking. If my attitude improved, we would go back in the store so she could finish her shopping. If I was still being difficult, we went home, and I was put down for a nap while mama removed my toys from me and I was not allowed to play with them for a set period of time (usually the rest of that day and all of the next). I absolutely think there are some situations that warrant spanking a child....SPANKING, not BEATING. There's a HUGE difference.

1.) Spanking should be done on the rear with some sort of designated paddle. Never use your hand, a belt, or whatever object happens to be closest at hand. Also, make sure your child is bent over so that the rear is the primary target, and you are not as likely to accidently miss the butt and strike them on the back.
    2.) NEVER spank your child while you are angry. This often leads to a beating rather than a proper spanking, which is what it sounds like happened in your case. A child should never be "spanked" until blood is drawn. In such a case, it is no longer classified as a spanking, but rather a beating. That should never have happened.
    3.) IMO, there are specific cases where spanking is warranted (deliberate disobedience/disrespect and dishonest behavior of any kind), but in most cases it should only be used as a last resort. Once the child has been warned to stop the behavior, there should be a first consequence such as confiscating a favorite toy, no "treat" that day (i.e. eating at McD's, no dessert at dinner, etc...) If the bad behavior continues, follow through with the confiscation process. If that does not work, and the behavior continues, THEN a spanking is warranted. However, it should be done within a reasonable amount of time after the behavior has begun. Don't let it escalate to the point that the child is throwing themselves down on the ground, kicking and screaming, and you have reached your wit's end.

Before any of you ask, no, I don't have any children of my own. However, I have discussed this issue at length with many of my friends and family members who have children, and they all tell me they get the best results when they follow these guidelines. Also, I have six nieces and nephews and I lived in the same household with four of them for more than a year. I always got good results when following the above guidelines. If I deviated from it, THEN I had problems with their behavior. To this day, I can usually get those kids (two of them are now teenagers) to do what I ask with very little trouble. If they do give me any lip, all it takes is one stern look for them to know I mean business.
  • BAMFMeredith
    BAMFMeredith Posts: 2,829 Member
    Options
    I see there are some people here in favor of spanking their children. If there is anyone here that has a college degree and thinks it is ok to spank children, please step forward. I know they have to exist, but I have never met a person under 75 that has a college degree and thinks it is ok to spank children.

I have a college degree, am under 75, and I'm okay with an open handed swat on the bottom---with conditions.

I was spanked as a kid. I can probably count on one hand the number of times I was spanked, it never actually hurt, and my parents never did it as an "anger" reaction. It was honestly more embarrassing than anything, and just got my attention. As I got old enough to reason with, I didn't get spankings anymore (although I did get slapped in the mouth once when I was 15, but truth be told, I totally deserved it lol). I have MAYBE spanked my son twice and the behavior stopped immediately. No tears, because I didn't do it to cause pain, but more of "OH! I gotta listen to Mom!" attention-grabbing type thing. Problem is, a lot of people who spank do it out of anger and frustration and do it too hard. The last thing I want is to physically hurt my child and I never want him to see me lash out in anger. Now that he's a little older, 6, and I can explain things better to him, I don't have any reason to spank because I can reason with him. But when he was 3/4, it did help to get his attention.

Bottom line, if your intention is to physically hurt your child, and you do not have control of your emotions and the situation, it's completely inappropriate, but if your intent is to alert your child that a situation is not acceptable and they are not capable of understanding verbal reasoning, I don't see anything wrong with a light smack on the bottom (not bare skin). Not sure if what I've described is what most people think of traditionally as "spanking" but to me that's the only acceptable form.
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options

My father has a bachelor's in psychology and a couple master's degrees and is a certified teacher and I was spanked as a child. Oh yeah, his father was a patent attorney, mother had a master's degree and stepmonther was a pediatrician.

I have a bachelor's degree. I spanked my daughter when warranted.

But I bow to your obviously superior intelligence. :flowerforyou:
  • Jpinpoint
    Jpinpoint Posts: 219 Member
    Options

<--- 29, about to start PhD, will spank my kid. There is a difference between spanking and being abusive in my humble opinion. I don't want to coddle my kid.

For the record, I am not a parent. However, my brother, who has a Masters degree spanks his kid, my parents, also educated, spanked me etc.

My nephew came home one day and said, "CPS was at my school, they said my mom can't hit me."

Wrong.

In our state you can spank a child within an inch of their life, as long as it is open handed and no bruising is left behind. It is up to the individual parent to decide what works for THEIR kid.

As long as they don't ask me to spank their kid I have no issues with how they do it, discipline. Not abuse. There is a difference.

So this "College degree" ****. I call bull****.
  • MoreBean13
    MoreBean13 Posts: 8,701 Member
    Options
    Must have been torture for you to be held against your will in a craft store.
  • mmckee10
    mmckee10 Posts: 405 Member
    Options
    Is it possible that his son might be autistic or have some other sort of condition? I've worked with autistic children in the past and there's nothing that will stop a tantrum really. The littlest things can set them off. You just have to pray for strength for the parents and hope they find something that works for their child.:flowerforyou: you never know the struggles of a family. I guess working with those kids made me think twice. :heart:

ETA it put the wrong icon

That may be true, but it doesn't mean the father handled it correctly. When the child started throwing a tantrum, it was time for them to leave. No need for punishment or what-have-you, just leave. It shows the child that behavior is not acceptable in public.
    [/quote]

agreed. sometimes that's easier said than done.
  • somemansdream
    Options
    I see this all the time and parents have a variety of reactions. Try not to judge to harshly, they will reap what they sow. Every child is different when it comes to what works for them.
    I have raised two kids, one boy and one girl.
    I used to go over the rules before ever leaving the house.
    If the kids acted up in the car, I would pull over and wait. Sometimes it would take 15 minutes for them to chill out. I always waited until they were quiet at least 5 minutes before getting back on the road.
    They would get swatted, never beatings and never bleeding and bruising.
    I used to be able to take my kids anywhere and not worry about it.
    Until they were teenagers...then all hell broke loose.
    There are some harsh comments here, everyone is entitled to their opinions though. I do absolutely believe that kids need to be taught manners and immediate action needs to be taken for tandrums of that degree. Spanking is a debate that will never be agreed on by everyone. On rare occassions, my parents would spank me. I had no distrust issues, or anything from it. I just knew that I better listen to mom and dad or else I would get in trouble.
    Debbie
  • Pixi_Rex
    Pixi_Rex Posts: 1,676 Member
    Options
    Well up until I was caring for a child I always thought those people were horrible.

I do not have children, I do however have a niece whom I am a major part of her life (I was a live in nanny for her up until last year). I can tell you this much, it is embarassing for the parent/caregiver when the child does this but kids do what ever they want to do. My niece will be 8 on Jan 1 and just last night she had a small melt down in the mall because I wouldn't buy her a stuffie (its a week until Christmas and 2 until her birthday... not happening.) she cried, didn't scream or anything but cried and told me "My heart grew so big when I saw him and my love was so fast and then you crushed it... you crushed it like you crush my dreams." In the middle of the store infront of a cashier and about 20 people. I quietly just said "OK" I paid for what I had to get and then left. You can be sure when I got her to the car I told her how embarassing it was and how frustrated she makes me. I know she wanted the stuffie but I CANNOT go against her fathers wishes, I also could not buy it because I bought the stupid thing for her birthday.

You cannot slap children in public anymore, so taking the kid to the car and spanking them is not an option. Most of the times I will just leave the store and go back alone later.

As for it lasting 45 minutes - yeah that never happened when I had her..if she started I would just up and leave the store and go back alone but sometimes its not an option. You can never judge until you have actually been in the spot of the adult when the child throws that tantrum.
  • MiCool90
    MiCool90 Posts: 460 Member
    Options
    My mother only had to spank me a few times and then the thought of it kept me in line. If I acted up in a public area she would look at me and say " Would you like to go to the bathroom with me? " This was a cue to straighten up or suffer the consequences.
  • SoViLicious
    SoViLicious Posts: 2,633 Member
    Options
    My kids do that every so often. So I pick a corner in the store and tell them to stand there with their nose to the wall. Then I explain to them that everyone at the store is trying to enjoy themselves by being responsible and taking care of errands and that they (my children) are making it hard for others to take care of their families. If that does not work I simply ignore them and go along my way.
  • secretlobster
    secretlobster Posts: 3,566 Member
    Options
    Must have been torture for you to be held against your will in a craft store.

I would have taken a hot glue gun to my own temple after five minutes
  • SteviePaige
    Options
    I'll admit, it is frustrating to have to endure someone else's kids throwing fits. But as I've read through the responses here, I have to agree that you may not know the whole picture. The kid could have some form of social handicap which is perhaps why the dad was trying to sooth him rather than discipline him. In any case, the dad didn't give in, he stuck to his guns.
    Every kid is different, what works for one kid may not work for another. Some kids just need a dirty look and they stop whatever they are doing, others need discipline of some form, others stop when they don't get the attention they're seeking. As far as spanking goes, as another poster commented, there is a difference between discipline and abuse! Using a tool to hit a child so hard that their skin breaks and bleeds? Sorry, that's abuse!! Giving a kid a couple swift smacks on his bum to snap him back to his senses...different story.
    I agree that we live in a world where children are getting away with more rude behavior and parents have become afraid to discipline their kids because there are people watching and judging our every move! In fact, you're one of them! Although you'd rather see the discipline side of things, you are still judging parents like me and the rest of us here. Can you even begin to imagine the embarrassment that the man had in that situation? Or how much self control it took for him to keep his cool? In any case, you have no idea what was done once they got home, perhaps the child WAS disciplined! And from experience as a mother and reading other's posts on here, notice that there is always a time when a child DOES throw a tantrum...even if it's just once or twice before he realized it's unacceptable behavior...had it crossed your mind that perhaps this child was at that stage? Maybe this tantrum was just one of the few he will throw in his lifetime and you happened to be there.
    Instead of being judgmental, try and be more supportive and give parents the benefit of the doubt.
  • AngryDiet
    AngryDiet Posts: 1,349 Member
    Options
    I have two children. I have never, nor will I ever, spank either of them.

There are far more inventive ways of correcting behaviour. You have to be pretty unoriginal to need to resort to spanking.

If the child is too young to understand and respond to anything remotely subtle, they are too young to be spanked anyway.

My eldest had severe emotional control problems when she was younger. I guarantee you that any tantrum you've seen pales by comparison to her when she got going. Somehow, and without beating her, I've managed to turn that around as she grew, and we haven't had an incident since she was four.

Barring mental problems, tantrums are children who haven't learned to manage their emotions yet. Hitting them is a very silly way of trying to teach emotional control. Sorta like leading NOT by example.
  • taunto
    taunto Posts: 6,420 Member
    Options
    Please do not EVER change your mind about not having children. You have chosen wisely.

Just out of curiousity, why can't the parents just take them out of the general area (stores aren't a big deal, I'm talkign mainly about restaurants) and take care of things outside while the others get to keep enjoying their meal etc.?

Spank or talk or whatever you like, that is fine. That is up to you as a parent. But at least take them out so the rest of us don't have to have our meals ruined...
  • TheKeithEllis
    TheKeithEllis Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    I echo the sentiment that the thread starter definitely doesn't have kids! As for spanking, only if warranted .. I only got spanked a couple of times when I was a kid, done me no harm and fully deserved, I certainly didn't do those things I was doing to provoke that reaction again! As for whether I will spank my own kids (currently 2 and 1 month!), I like to think not, but I'm not against it if in the right (extreme) circumstance.
  • BAMFMeredith
    BAMFMeredith Posts: 2,829 Member
    Options

1.) Spanking should be done on the rear with some sort of designated paddle. Never use your hand, a belt, or whatever object happens to be closest at hand. Also, make sure your child is bent over so that the rear is the primary target, and you are not as likely to accidently miss the butt and strike them on the back.

I disagree with using a foreign object to spank your child with, and I feel like I've even read in parenting and child development forums (I was a little paranoid that I didn't know how to take care of a child when I was pregnant lol) that you should only use your open palm and nothing else if you choose to spank, but I could be wrong, it was a long time ago that I read those types of things. But I do agree, the rear should be the only area that gets any type of contact because a light spank on the bottom doesn't hurt, but the same amount of force on the lower back or upper thigh may hurt.