Traveling to America - should I be concerned?

Options

Replies

• postrockandcats
    postrockandcats Posts: 1,145 Member
    Options
    Dude........... you're Mexican................... Taco Bell

Simples

Dude...that was not cool...

I like taco bell, it's an US thing, we can't get that here. Or in Mexico.

Yo quiero Taco Bell.

Wait. You start this thread about concerns over our food.... but you like Taco Bell. Your argument is invalid.
  • RoadsterGirlie
    RoadsterGirlie Posts: 1,195 Member
    Options
    Agreed, Daybehavior.

This thread is the funniest damn thing I've read all day. I had a feeling it was a joke from the beginning, and the OP finally confirmed it.

Bravo, kind sir...
  • shanmackie
    shanmackie Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    My boyfriend is from brazil and it annoys him to hear the US referred to as America, so it does bother some.

On the original note, I would avoid eating at all. We have calories in our air and you'll probably gain about ten pounds just by breathing.
  • ALH1981
    ALH1981 Posts: 538 Member
    Options
    I eat a lot of dairy here in Europe and things like:

- unpasturized cheese
    - raw milk
    - raw eggs
    - peanut butter
    - Mett - raw minced pork meat
    - steak tartare - raw beef
    - oysters, sushi, sahimi, crudos, etc...

But from all the threads here, it seems that the food in America is dangerous and I don't think I can travel with two weeks of food. A lot of threads here talk about bad dairy, bad eggs, bad peanut butter. I'm not sure I should eat at places where I don't know the source.

Or should I stick to fast food places where I understand that the food quality is controlled and tested. I know it's strange to focus on that but I'm concerned about the quality of restaurants and I really won't have a car there nor a place to cook.

Thanks for your advise.

um this is a joke right? America is the land of EVERYTHING...
  • Nataliaho
    Nataliaho Posts: 878 Member
    Options
    I am Australian and I have travelled through parts of the US, so I am happy to give you my opinion based on my experience there (I haven't been to other areas of the Americas). The food is very variable depending where you are. When I travelled through Tennesee, Kentucky, Louisiana and Mississippi I found it very difficult to find the kind of easily accessable, healthy and fresh but fast and cheap options that I am used to in Australia. I am not saying they aren't there, but they certainly didn't seem to be as common or as easy to find. As far as I could tell, cheap and fast = unhealthy. You could get fresher and healthier options in better restaurants, but not so much for a quick bite of lunch. On the otherhand I didn't find the supermarkets to be as bad as I had been led to believe. The produce seemed fine and wasn't outragously expensive (as I'd heard).

Once in New York I found Whole Foods was quite good, though not really any more special or gourmet or fresh than any standard supermarket in Australia. The restaurants were amazing though! I ate raw food of a couple of persuations while there and was really impressed. We also went to cali and vegas, but I can't say I really focussed on the food that much;)

Don't get me wrong, as a tourist and on my honeymoon I indulged in some amazingly tasty food in the US. I had an awesome time, I loved it there so I don't want to offend anyone. However there are major differences between the US and what I would consider 'standard' or 'normal' in Aus particularly when it comes to natural products. So the same is probably true of Europe. I don't understand why so many posters were so quick to completely dismiss the OP, rather than trying to understand?? Don't you want to learn anything about other countries and their differences to the US? Do you just assume that USA = Superior?
  • daybehavior
    daybehavior Posts: 1,319 Member
    Options
    ^
    You realize this whole thread's a joke right?
  • Ginn123
    Ginn123 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    But from all the threads here, it seems that the food in America is dangerous and I don't think I can travel with two weeks of food. A lot of threads here talk about bad dairy, bad eggs, bad peanut butter. I'm not sure I should eat at places where I don't know the source.

Or should I stick to fast food places where I understand that the food quality is controlled and tested. I know it's strange to focus on that but I'm concerned about the quality of restaurants and I really won't have a car there nor a place to cook.

Thanks for your advise.

This has got to be the most funniest post/thread I've read so far.:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: HILARIOUS!:sad:
  • RoadsterGirlie
    RoadsterGirlie Posts: 1,195 Member
    Options
    ^

I don't think so. Even after the OP admitted to it, people are still taking it so seriously.

LOL. Just LOL....
  • Nataliaho
    Nataliaho Posts: 878 Member
    Options
    ^

I don't think so. Even after the OP admitted to it, people are still taking it so seriously.

LOL. Just LOL....

Dude, even if the OPs post is a joke I have a feeling that a big proprtion of the 'mericans here are laughing for the wrong reason. But hey, carry on it'a not like the rest of the world isn't quite used to your superiority complex....
  • axialmeow
    axialmeow Posts: 382 Member
    Options
    Lollllllll.
  • katydidit79
    katydidit79 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    Last I knew, here in America we have eggs, sushi, and even the famed peanut butter....
  • daybehavior
    daybehavior Posts: 1,319 Member
    Options

Dude, even if the OPs post is a joke I have a feeling that a big proprtion of the 'mericans here are laughing for the wrong reason. But hey, carry on it'a not like the rest of the world isn't quite used to your superiority complex....

Yeah and its not like us Americans aren't used to the rest of the world taking every small chance to pounce on us, misconstrue us and accuse us of having a superiority complex over the most minuscule issues.
  • sleepy11
    Options
    This was hilarious! Now I want to get drunk so I can enjoy some waffle house. It's really the only way to eat that stuff.
  • perfectingpatti
    perfectingpatti Posts: 1,037 Member
    Options
    It is unfortunate that this thread has gone down that path. That to my put-on silliness in this included responses with gay-bashing innuendo or mental handicap as a put-down? We could do without.
    The irony is that I played an uneducated Yahoo (a la Gulliver's Travels) to point out a little about the ambient Orthorexia on the site and we are ending this thread with a real yahoo-moment. Too bad.
    Agreed.
  • mgobluetx12
    mgobluetx12 Posts: 1,326 Member
    Options
    Please be more specific as to where you are traveling. The continents of North America and South America are quite large, encompase hundreds of countries and all have different ruling bodies of government controlling food safety. Some do a great job, others not so much.

Hundreds of countries? What map are you looking at?

I personally believe that U.S. Americans are unable to do so because, uh, some people out there in our nation don't have maps, and, uh, I believe that our education like such as in South Africa and, uh, the Iraq everywhere like, such as, and I believe that they should, our education over here in the U.S. should help the U.S., er, should help South Africa and should help the Iraq and the Asian countries, so we will be able to build up our future for our children.

I read this to my husband and he got the hiccups he was laughing so hard.
  • EvgeniZyntx
    EvgeniZyntx Posts: 24,208 Member
    Options
    What kind of question is that? America has all the best things in the world of course the food is better than yours.

Are you sure? Have you traveled?

Listen, I wasn't trying to get into a pissing match but clearly we have more processed food in America and an obesity epidemic. So by rights the food is making you sick. Plus you drive our cars.
  • EvgeniZyntx
    EvgeniZyntx Posts: 24,208 Member
    Options
    Hey pal what have you been reading? You are so misinformed . You need to do some real research Trust me you will not be eating unpasteurized cheese and raw minced pork here. The USDA will not like that.

LOL. You are so right! We need to educate some on this board. They may not like what they find out. Ignorance is not bliss in the case of raw pork, though.

Best

Yes, education is very important. But ignorance does seem to be bliss, to some. How about a sarcasm meter?
    And by the way, the raw pork in Germany is extremely safe. I first tested what I though I knew when I arrived here. You eat what?

Question what you think you know.
  • abrahamsitososa
    abrahamsitososa Posts: 716 Member
    Options
    I have a feeling you are going to get sick out here.
  • ohnuts14
    ohnuts14 Posts: 197
    Options
    Our standards and regulations are extremely tight. Ofcourse there's a chance you'll come across a place who didn't follow code, but that's not incredibly common, probably much like where you come from, wherever that may be. If someone gets food poisoning, that restaurant will generally get shut down so fast, if that is in fact what you're worried about. I have never gotten food poisoning in my entire life, not once. If you're worried about the obesity epidemic? We have an obesity eppidemic because of the vast options of unhealthy food, not to mention the ridiculous portion sizes. And also, the bad food is always cheaper, and there are a lot of people on budgets who simply cannot afford to keep buying organic, fresh everything. People who have money don't understand why they can't just "pay the little extra." But for people who are struggling, that "little extra" sometimes means not being able to pay your bills. But anyway, I digress. You're going to be here for two weeks, right? Eating our food for a couple of weeks isn't going to make you gain 100 lbs. We have just as many healthy options, organic, high grade food. You don't HAVE to eat the "processed" stuff if you don't want to. You don't have to get fast food or frozen, microwavable entries. If our "obesity epidemic" is what's worrying you, I don't see why fast food would be a better option. You come here, you go to nice restaurants and you eat the good stuff, that's all. If you do grocery shopping, get the organic stuff and stay away from the freezers. You want raw meat or fish, the restaurants all serve it up to regulation, it won't get you sick. We have an obesity problem because we have such an insane amount of options, and they're cheaper, and they taste good. NOT because the healthy stuff isn't there, because it certainly is. So don't worry, you'll be fine.
  • koshkasmum
    koshkasmum Posts: 276 Member
    Options
    Well actually I was having a good time reading the silliness the original post started. Until we got to "ambient orthorexia". What the heck? I am not known for having a tiny vocabulary but orthorexia got me. I had to go look it up. Then I found the conversation interesting all over again.

By the way, how come when people say "america" they seem to think of the United States of, or even South or Central (heck , someone even got into Samoa) but nobody seems to remember the biggest part of the North American continent. Just saying.