DUMBEST thing you ever believed

Options

Replies

• natika33
    natika33 Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    I was 6-7 and mentioned to my Dad that asparagus sure made my pee smell funny.

He replied that this phenomenon was used by doctors to tell if Siamese twins were connected at the gut. They would feed one asparagus and see if the other had smelly pee, thus proving a digestive connection between the twins.

I believed this and repeated it in a chemistry class as we discussed uric acid, and everyone busted a gut.

Thanks Dad.

ummm... that was actually true.
  • MyChocolateDiet
    MyChocolateDiet Posts: 22,281 Member
    Options
    That the song MaryJane by Rick James was about a woman and not the green ganja! :laugh:
    <misunderstood song poker> I'll 'see' your "Mary Jane" and raise you a "Brandy" by "The O'Jays"

Definitely can relate to that! Who knew it was about a dog! :noway:

I believed up until last month that the song "Who let the dogs out?" was about actual dogs and not the less attractive girls in a club. I think a decent part of my childhood disintegrated with that knowledge.

i beleived that too until just now when i read your post. man i feel dumb. I'm batting o for o or whatever bad batting in baseball is. that's what i get when guilt gives me insomnia.
  • mazzasweet
    mazzasweet Posts: 266 Member
    Options
    That being a 'virgin' meant you never kissed a boy.
  • AmesMc1972
    AmesMc1972 Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    Some of these others are making me, literally, LOL!
  • rpilon21
    rpilon21 Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    I live in the Maritime provinces of Canada. My Grade 7 social studies teacher told us they were called the Maritimes because the settlers that arrived had such a "merry time" when they arrived. I believed this until I realized that Maritime means water. I was 30 when I made this realization.:laugh:
  • MemphisKitten
    MemphisKitten Posts: 878 Member
    Options
    I thought Las Vegas was in California until I was a teenager.
  • Lisah8969
    Lisah8969 Posts: 1,247 Member
    Options
    That if you keep doing that you'll go blind.

How is that braille keyboard working out for you?

When it was about to rain (you know...the sky gets dark and cloudy and all NORMAL people know it is going to rain), my Dad would have me do a rain dance in the driveway. I thought I was making it rain.
  • kooltray87
    kooltray87 Posts: 501 Member
    Options
    Lifting weights in college made me bulky...really it was all the food I ate while lifting weights....lol
  • kooltray87
    kooltray87 Posts: 501 Member
    Options
    That the song MaryJane by Rick James was about a woman and not the green ganja! :laugh:
    <misunderstood song poker> I'll 'see' your "Mary Jane" and raise you a "Brandy" by "The O'Jays"

Definitely can relate to that! Who knew it was about a dog! :noway:

I believed up until last month that the song "Who let the dogs out?" was about actual dogs and not the less attractive girls in a club. I think a decent part of my childhood disintegrated with that knowledge.

i beleived that too until just now when i read your post. man i feel dumb. I'm batting o for o or whatever bad batting in baseball is. that's what i get when guilt gives me insomnia.

WHAT?! "Get back you flea infested mongrel!" isn't about a dog??? lol Learn something new everyday...
  • SusanMcAvoy
    SusanMcAvoy Posts: 445 Member
    Options
    :laugh:
  • hellonheels88
    hellonheels88 Posts: 262 Member
    Options
    OH gosh I just remembered and had to come find this post.

I used to think that houses were somehow connected to fire stations. And anytime the fire alarm in your house would go off, the fire station was notified and they'd come to the rescue. I used to rush around trying to get the alarms to stop anytime I'd burn food for fear of the fire trucks showing up to a false alarm.

It wasn't until about 2 years ago that I found out this wasn't the case. I had caught a pan of veggie oil on fire and my house filled with smoke. I rushed around to get my baby out of the house while my ex husband tried to clear the smoke out. I asked him if he had to call the fire department to tell them not to come since the alarm had been going off for probably 15 minutes. I sat outside listening for the sirens. I'll never forget the look on his face when I ask him that. I have never felt so stupid in my life...except for the other 4 years I was married to him. But that's another story haha
  • HermioneDanger118
    HermioneDanger118 Posts: 345 Member
    Options
    Putting salt on the tail of a bird or rabbit would make them freeze.
    I chased rabbits for hours at my Great Grandmothers house.
    She even sent me a rabbit statuette and told me she used salt to catch him. I totally believed her.

:huh: :laugh:

This is amazing.
  • HermioneDanger118
    Options
    I used to think that ketchup was for girls and mustard was for boys. My dad only used mustard and not ketchup and my mom was the opposite. Then once my little brother wanted ketchup and I told him it was for girls, he couldn't have any. My parents went along with it.
  • HermioneDanger118
    Options
    Oh! I also believed that there were people in towers that controlled all the traffic lights.

I thought this too!
  • sumnerfan
    sumnerfan Posts: 244 Member
    Options
    A cuckle burr was a porcupine egg. I was about 6.
  • Gallowmere1984
    Gallowmere1984 Posts: 6,626 Member
    Options
    I once believed in overtraining...then I realized that I was just being a wuss.
  • EjaneK11
    EjaneK11 Posts: 209 Member
    Options
    My friend's older sister told us when we were little that you were not supposed to drink the fizz of pop because it would kill you. :noway: My family never lets that one g:grumble: o..... :blushing:
  • Heyman09
    Heyman09 Posts: 184
    Options
    That if I ate my carrots I wouldn't have eye problems...I believed that right up until I got my first pair of glasses.
  • v_actually
    v_actually Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    When I was little and began to realize that foods came from other sources like hamburgers are made from cows etc. my uncle told me dinner rolls were made from armadillo. I believed every word of it. :D And I wouldn't eat them until my grandmother made a homemade batch just to prove to me there was no armadillo involved!!
  • JadeZaragoza
    Options
    that if somehow the tv remote is facing you, you would somehow get cancer.. ..I heard it as a child and realized it was a lie up until I was 10