Doritos are not meth.

Options

Replies

• Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options
    They are prob worse than meth due to the corn (killed the mayans), artificial dyes and MSG in them among other nasty things
  • paigemarie93
    paigemarie93 Posts: 778 Member
    Options

I am a food addict, I don't understand moderation.

That's just an excuse, everyone understands moderation, you just have to say NO to yourself and see it through.
    It isn't easy, but it's not impossible if you keep trying.

I'm sorry, but are you a psychiatrist? A medical doctor? If not, perhaps you should not try speaking with authority on topics you do not understand.

It's great that you can eat crap in moderation. Don't shame the people who cannot. It's just plain rude, and it makes you look like a jerk.

I'm sorry? I don't understand, really? I've been there, done that, got the t-shirt & lost the weight, so please, go on & tell me how I do not understand.
    No actually, I was saying it in a stern encouraging "it is possible, you can do it" way! No shaming intended.

It's nice to see that after a year MFP still has people who jump the gun & ride high horses.

Dear, you are 19 years old. You are not an expert. I congratulate you on your weight loss; that is no easy feat. It took a lot of effort and insight on your part, and for that, I applaud you.

Just remember that what is true or what works for you is NOT necessarily true for others. I notice you didn't quote or argue with the part of my post that said that food does actually act as a drug for some people, and therefore as an addiction, cannot be controlled with will power alone. You believe that self-knowledge and will power to eat in moderation should be enough for everyone, because they worked for you. That is incorrect.

Telling someone that their addiction is just an excuse most certainly IS shaming, regardless of your intentions. Would you tell an alcoholic that their addiction is just an excuse, and that they should be able to suck it up and have just one drink?

Some of us HAVE to completely refrain from eating certain foods. Period. We do what works for us. You do what works for you. We all lose weight. Yay!

Go back, I posted twice & seems you only saw the accidental post before I had done my proof read & edit.

I said "Being a binge eater, alcoholic, addict of anything, is something you can overcome, you just have to stop making excuses & work at it. "

Addictions cannot be overcome without willpower & over coming them is ENTIRELY willpower, maybe with help & a little push along the way (I never said on your own, help isn't a bad thing but you have to give your all!), but it is all your own willpower to not eat those foods, to not drink that drink, to not take those drugs.

I never said their addiction was an excuse, I said saying you don't understand moderation is an excuse, and it is, because if you say things like that you are going to believe it & end up trapped in your addiction.

I'm sure you're not as much as an expert as you're making yourself out to be either!
  • sunsnstatheart
    sunsnstatheart Posts: 2,544 Member
    Options

I don’t shiver and sob on my bathroom floor while rubbing Sensa crystals all over my body.

And why not?
  • sigsby
    sigsby Posts: 220 Member
    Options
    I think it is not the Dorito everyone is actually complaining about. I think the real issue is self control and the internal struggle that goes along with dieting. Is junk food adicting? I think it is. Is some shady dude in the shadows peddling Doritos? No they are ruining the American diet from a boardroom in broad daylight. They are also driving a Porshe and living in a mansion while doing it.

In the end, you are right. If you want something then make room in your diet and eat it. Even if it's Doritos.

So, I'll brush off the sensa crystals and dry my eyes.

Thanks for posting!
  • trophywife24
    trophywife24 Posts: 1,472 Member
    Options
    tl;dr

can someone post cliff's plz?

Summary: What works for one person should work for everyone else.

/end

That's not what the OP said at all. Reading comprehension fail.

Gosh, I would love to get into an internet slapping match but I have not had my afternoon java yet.

:yawn:

Just because someone says what works for them, doesn't mean they automatically mean are insisting that it will work for everyone else. What I got was that this worked for her, and it COULD work for you, too. Take what you want from it and leave the rest. It's really not that hard.

Anyway...

lol @ at the condescending yawning smiley face. Anyway, indeed.
  • paigemarie93
    paigemarie93 Posts: 778 Member
    Options

That's just an excuse, everyone understands moderation, you just have to say NO to yourself and see it through.

Easier said than done, I have been on this journey for a very long time. I know what works for me. Not having these foods works best for me.

Don't judge me, until you have been in my shoes and certainly don't tell me I am using it as an excuse. That is your opinion, not fact.

I am so glad for you, that you don't suffer with my problems.

PLEASE READ. I was actually encouraging you not to think so negatively, otherwise you will never overcome this.

QUOTE:

QUOTE:

QUOTE:

QUOTE:

QUOTE:

I'm sorry, but are you a psychiatrist? A medical doctor? If not, perhaps you should not try speaking with authority on topics you do not understand.

It's great that you can eat crap in moderation. Don't shame the people who cannot. It's just plain rude, and it makes you look like a jerk.

I'm sorry? I don't understand, really? I've been there, done that, got the t-shirt & lost the weight, so please, go on & tell me how I do not understand.
    No actually, I was saying it in a stern encouraging "it is possible, you can do it" way! No shaming intended.

It's nice to see that after a year MFP still has people who jump the gun & ride high horses.

Dear, you are 19 years old. You are not an expert. I congratulate you on your weight loss; that is no easy feat. It took a lot of effort and insight on your part, and for that, I applaud you.

Just remember that what is true or what works for you is NOT necessarily true for others. I notice you didn't quote or argue with the part of my post that said that food does actually act as a drug for some people, and therefore as an addiction, cannot be controlled with will power alone. You believe that self-knowledge and will power to eat in moderation should be enough for everyone, because they worked for you. That is incorrect.

Telling someone that their addiction is just an excuse most certainly IS shaming, regardless of your intentions. Would you tell an alcoholic that their addiction is just an excuse, and that they should be able to suck it up and have just one drink?

Some of us HAVE to completely refrain from eating certain foods. Period. We do what works for us. You do what works for you. We all lose weight. Yay!

Go back, I posted twice & seems you only saw the accidental post before I had done my proof read & edit.

I said "Being a binge eater, alcoholic, addict of anything, is something you can overcome, you just have to stop making excuses & work at it. "

Addictions cannot be overcome without willpower & over coming them is ENTIRELY willpower, maybe with help & a little push along the way (I never said on your own, help isn't a bad thing but you have to give your all!), but it is all your own willpower to not eat those foods, to not drink that drink, to not take those drugs.

I never said their addiction was an excuse, I said saying you don't understand moderation is an excuse, and it is, because if you say things like that you are going to believe it & end up trapped in your addiction.

I'm sure you're not as much as an expert as you're making yourself out to be either!

quoting wouldn't work.
  • FullOfWin
    FullOfWin Posts: 1,414 Member
    Options
    best post on mfp so far

i take offense. why are you so mean? stop bullying me.
  • misslibbyh
    misslibbyh Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    While your post is correct - it is only practical once you have a healthy relationship with food. Everyone has different triggers and are at different stages in their struggle to have a healthy relationship with food. Moderation works for some right from the start, others have to work through some issues with their 'drug' before they can incorporate it back into their diet.

THIS^^^... and a little compassion goes a long way. Everyone isn't going to act how you think they should act. Relax... It's their issue NOT yours. I agree with what you are saying... but i think it is hurtful to those who are truly addicted to food. Addiction is very real. They have to learn to moderate and that can take time. Give them a break... This journey is a very emotional one for many people.
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    Best post EVER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

tumblr_meykhfo9fM1r3eap1.gif
  • Serendipityunt
    Serendipityunt Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    I'm sure this thread got out of hand, but I'm glad I read the OP. It was a great post, and it needed to be said. Couldn't agree more. :happy:
  • BriskaPacojame
    Options
    Evidently, binge eating on a single food was never your issue.

Hot Cheetos. They will haunt me for the rest of my life.

I wish I had the strength to ban those from my house. I don't care how much they burn, I will eat an entire bag and love it!
  • csi4us
    csi4us Posts: 74
    Options
    Evidently, binge eating on a single food was never your issue.

Hot Cheetos. They will haunt me for the rest of my life.

????????????????????Love flaming hot Cheetos! I can eat a $1.25 bag with chamoy sauce ( red hot Mexican sauce) a day! But then I start pooping red! ???? Soo I am cutting it to one bag every 3 weeks or so!
  • kitkatkate77
    Options
    People that suffer from binge eating, often have to avoid certain foods, situations, and temptations to stay on track. Don't judge if you've never been there.

It's like saying, I only smoke in "moderation"

This
  • PhoenixIsis
    Options
    I’m hesitant even as I write this, because I don’t want this to turn into some horrible flame war thread, because I write this with good intentions and not to judge or bully anyone. But it’s been on my mind for some time so I want to write it out…

Everywhere I look on this site I see threads or comments where people are losing their damn mind because someone brought cupcakes into work, or their mother-in-law made pasta for Sunday dinner, or they had to drive past a Taco Bell last Wednesday and it’s been giving them night terrors. They refuse to eat these things in moderation, or fit them somewhere in their daily/weekly/monthly goals and instead spend hours freaking out and obsessing about what they ate, didn’t eat or almost ate.

If someone brings cupcakes into my work, and I decide I’d like one – I eat it, I think “What a delicious cupcake.”, log it as best as I can in my food journal and continue with my day. I never think about it again, I don’t skip dinner or do an extra workout or pray to the Weight Loss God. I don’t shiver and sob on my bathroom floor while rubbing Sensa crystals all over my body. I ate a cupcake, I didn’t hit someone with my car and keep driving, so why should I feel guilty?

I’m not saying I don’t make bad choices some days. The other day I ate an entire bag of tortilla chips and an entire jar of queso dip. And not throughout the day or at a casual social event. I sat on my couch and crammed about 1500 calories into my mouth in 20 minutes. Did I regret it afterwards? Of course I did. Do I now think I have a queso addiction and refuse to have it in my house? No. There is a bag of chips in my cupboard and a jar of dip in my fridge. I like to enjoy a serving of each some nights after work.

The big picture is, food can not own or control us. We have power over our own minds. You are not addicted to chocolate. You are not addicted to carbs. There’s no shifty dudes hanging out in the alley trying to sell you Cheetos. Doritos are not meth. Losing weight to me has nothing to do with looking smokin’ hot in a bikini, one of my biggest goals is to continue to learn and implement my own self control. To learn how to keep things in balance, and make good decisions. I will slip up sometimes and moderation can fly out the window, but I’d rather learn from my mistakes than constantly worry about these “bad foods” and when they’re going to get me. I want to be free from these restrictions we put upon ourselves.

I’m not saying you have to keep eating junk food. If you don’t want to, don’t. If you want to eat clean (whatever that actually means), then go nuts. Just stop giving food more power than it has. I am so sick of people talking about food like it’s a drug. “Oh, I can’t control myself around sweets.” Yes, you can. You just never have. “I can’t have chips in my house!” Sure you can. Sometimes you’ll ration them out serving by serving throughout the week, and sometimes you’ll eat the entire bag at once and regret it afterwards. In my opinion, you will learn more from that than from walking through life with your eyes closed pretending chips don’t exist.

They do exist. And they are delicious.

Mocking people who struggle with food is a good intention to you? You don't want to be judge but your whole post is just judging people who struggle with these foods. Just keep doing what you are doing, its working for you and not worry about what other people struggle with and with what they are doing.
  • dietpepsi100
    dietpepsi100 Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    I think anything in moderation is okay. Calories in calories out is my motto. I am not on a diet. I eat what I when I want it. I do not stock my cabinets with chips, cookies ect. I did not get 200 pounds overweight from eating in moderation. But I am correcting that by changing my lifestyle. Its works for me. what works for one does not always work for others. Love this site and the information we recieve from others. Thanks for sharing
  • geebusuk
    geebusuk Posts: 3,348 Member
    Options
    I have only once felt 'properly' addicted to something.
    I was prescribed Tramadol for pain relief after a broken tib+fib and a generally busted up body from a motorcycle racing crash.
    When I stopped taking it after reducing to one pill a night from 8 over the day I got all the classic 'cold turkey' symptoms - couldn't sleep, itchy under the skin feeling etc - gave in at 5am and slept.

I still found it easier to stop taking that than I do to stop/not eat high calorie food I like.

Conclusion - Doritos (with some melted cheese, of course), are actually worse than an opiate style drug.

;)
  • tadpole242
    tadpole242 Posts: 507 Member
    Options

Dear, you are 19 years old.
    No matter what sense you may have posted following this, but you've lost any respect. And I know because I am older than you and there for wiser than you, that's the way things work, as you get older you get smarter... or not, age does not always wisdom Bring.
    Don't demean people who are younger than you, and I won't shoot your arguments full of holes.
    So Grow up, and prove your points without relying on hackneyed ageist arguments.
  • 16Momma16
    16Momma16 Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    Great Post!

I spend a week every summer with a group of women who pig out daily and sit around complaining about it. I would like to for once go on this trip and they keep silent about how much they ate all week. The purpose of the trip was not about food but they seem to really focus and groan. It is so frustrating.
  • samantha1242
    samantha1242 Posts: 816 Member
    Options
    Good post. I know food can be addiction and I read a study that reported several obese peoples, when tested their brain images matched those of addicts (none of them were addicted to other substances). Which I found interesting. But addiction can be conquered. However, Doritos are gross :) to each their own.
  • melissabacino
    melissabacino Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    You are the bomb! Good luck with your goals!
This discussion has been closed.