Doritos are not meth.

Options

Replies

• SanteMulberry
    SanteMulberry Posts: 3,202 Member
    Options
    Willpower is a stupid diet industry buzzword, points off for that.

Willpower is about so much more than simply your diet. It's what gets you out of bed on days you feel too groggy. It's what gets you to pay your bills. It's what keeps you from choking a co-worker or in-law that is royally pissing you off. Willpower is another word for self-control.

It's also what keeps you from buying the Doritos at the grocery store. :-)

I would agree totally with this---I know that there are certain foods that I don't even go near in the grocery store--just like a recovering alcoholic knows that it is a bad idea to go into a bar. I know that the first bite of food that I grew up addicted to, doughnuts, cake, pie, cookies, white bread (but any kind of wheat bread is a problem), would be likely to set off a binge. So I just don't take the first bite. I'm not bothered if others around me eat those things, but as for me, I WILL NOT. Moderation is a foreign word to an addict---if he/she was able to have moderation with substances of one sort or another, they wouldn't be an addict.
  • rm7161
    rm7161 Posts: 505
    Options
    Plain Doritos are the same as practically any other tortilla chip.

I think most folks are talking about the Nacho Cheese variety, which I haven't eaten in years due to its not being completely gluten free anyway. I stay away from flavored chips like that for other reasons, because I don't trust their flavorings (and its the flavorings that make them so addictive, the added sugar and fat no doubt). But I can freebase just about any kind of chip, even the healthy ones.

I am sympathetic to those who have no willpower over chips, but for me -- never eating straight out of the bag, making sure its all measured by food scale before popping into my mouth controls the overeating for me. It's now a habit and it keeps me from overeating them. It may or may not work for others, but it works for me so I shared my success with it.
  • itali614
    itali614 Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    I am sure this has been said, but since I dont have time to read 15 pages of posts, this is what came to my mind. You are looking at people's post from your point of view. Grace says we give people the room and time to grow. And an understanding of addictions is necessary. Anything can control us. If you look into your own life you will see areas where you need change. Those areas and the situations that result cause you to say, "man why did I do that?" "I always do that" "I screwed up again." When you catch yourself and if your honest you will, you have to admit your being controlled by something other than will power. Relationships, food, exercise, drugs, alcohol, sex, or what have you. Each person's journey is different, thus individual. The best thing we can do for people is accept them for who they are and where they are in life. Your thoughts though well intentioned illistrate the ugly power of judgement. Judgement keeps people back. Grace allows growth and recognizes people learn things and change in their own time.
    Blessings!!!
  • jmcreynolds91
    jmcreynolds91 Posts: 777 Member
    Options
    so true!!!
  • shawnasis
    shawnasis Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    So... I shouldn't have crushed those Doritos and snorted them? Hunh. I guess I did it wrong...

OMG Rolling on the floor laughing!!!!!
  • Fragilebird24
    Fragilebird24 Posts: 202 Member
    Options
    I completely agree with your post! My problem isn't Doritos though. I absolutely love sweets. And it's funny that you mentioned how people say "I can't control myself around sweets," because I used to say that all the time. But it isn't true. I've lost weight in the past and had amazing self control (except with chocolate chip cookies, it is SO hard for me to eat only one or two.) But then around the holidays I completely lost control and ate a ton of stuff. Ultimately resulting in a 70 lb gain in the course of two years. So when I started to try to lose weight again, I told myself that the only way to do it was to swear those foods out of my life to avoid binge eating them. And then of course I gained even more weight. So now, my main goal is working on eating in moderation. I control food. Food does not control me.
  • SanteMulberry
    Options
    Bold BBQ Doritos, I can polish off a bag of those in a few minutes, then another bag, and another...you sure there is no crack in them? :P

Actually, now that you ask, processed food (i.e. engineered food) is known to carry more than a few "addictive" elements. Why do you think they put sugar in just about all processed food? Our national waistline has expanded from the yearly150 pounds per capita of sugar that we eat (and a lot of it is "hidden" in processed food). In 1900, the average yearly per capita consumption of sugar was less than 5 pounds. What does that tell you about the addictive power of sugar? As for wheat, there is a substance called gliadin (not gluten) that has been shown in laboratory experiments to make rats eat and eat whatever food substance that contains it.
  • tj1376
    tj1376 Posts: 1,402 Member
    Options
    lol this was to funny. Personally, I think every bag of chips should have 1 potato chip dipped in speed. This way for those of us who eat the entire bag at one time we will have an uncontrollable urge to run around for a day or so. My to do list would get so much shorter.
  • ubermensch13
    ubermensch13 Posts: 824 Member
    Options
    1. YES, there are real addiction issues that be associated with food, like eating disorders.
    2. YES, "just have more willpower" is not ALWAYS the best answer.
    3. YES, there are variables for each situation that "just say no", might not be enough
    However:
    1. The amount of melodrama around peoples reaction to food is absurd, and many times, overreactions.
    2. Eventually, one MUST learn willpower to resist overeating if they are going to become fit and healthy, this is a part of all "recovery" processes.
    3. You will always be around people with "bad" foods, they aren't illegal (yet) so people are going to eat them around you, offer them to you and yes, not consider your diet and flaunt them. Unless you are going to lock yourself in your house with vitamins and rice cakes, you will have to learn self control or moderation.
    4. Many of these "overreactions" are PART of the person's issue with food, that most likely led to their ED or being overweight, so while it is true a simple "no" might not suffice, a simple "no" will eventually be a necessity.
    5. Learning a healthy relationship with food is the most important thing anyone can do for themselves when it comes to weightloss and healthy living.

So, I agree with the OP when she expresses her frustrations with seeing the same "plea for help" over and over again.
  • polarsjewel
    polarsjewel Posts: 1,726 Member
    Options
    OP - Well said *applause*

Everyone has their food "kryptonite" It can been tough to overcome, but it CAN be overcome
  • RobinvdM
    RobinvdM Posts: 634 Member
    Options
    The 'food addiction' mindset is so MISused. Being a self-proclaimed food addict doesn't make it true. If you suspect you are, go get help. Some people DO have issues with addiction, while a large majority of folks use it as an excuse for why they do the things they do. The OP's intention was to vent/rant a bit about how foolish it is to become so obsessive about calories that you wind up in a guilt laden zone just THINKING about something "unhealthy." For the handful of people that ARE genuinely food addicts, they are very likely in need of counciling which will help educate them on HOW to tap into the self-control they will need to master, whether it's how to shop "safely" or how to "just say no" to the work place treats. But for the rest of "you" out there being indignant about this, get a grip and lighten up. You take food a BIT too seriously, and this is coming from someone who is finds solace in eating apples to sooth the angry monster.
    Crunchy, juicy sour apples. Rawr! :laugh:
  • Zaggytiddies
    Zaggytiddies Posts: 326 Member
    Options
    It's interesting to me that so many people consider themselves addicts.
  • IrishHarpy1
    IrishHarpy1 Posts: 399 Member
    Options
    If someone brings cupcakes into my work, and I decide I’d like one – I eat it, I think “What a delicious cupcake.”, log it as best as I can in my food journal and continue with my day. I never think about it again, I don’t skip dinner or do an extra workout or pray to the Weight Loss God. I don’t shiver and sob on my bathroom floor while rubbing Sensa crystals all over my body. I ate a cupcake, I didn’t hit someone with my car and keep driving, so why should I feel guilty?

See, what is wrong with you is that you are what is sometimes referred to as "rational." Or some might say "pragmatic." You may even have overtones of "well adjusted."
    You'll probably go on to live a successful life or some such hell.

Poor OP... I also agree with everything you said.

As for your detractors: while yes, there are some indications that people can develop symptoms that mimic addiction, it's not as bad FOR MOST OF US (see what I did there?) as some would make it out to be. You feel like something "triggers" you? Avoid it. But they need to get a grip on the fact that some of us DO have control over what we can/shouldn't eat, and have healthy relationships with food.

To be honest, I don't think anyone has died from Dorito withdrawal... you may crave them, but your body won't exhibit the DTs if you stop eating them.
  • trogalicious
    trogalicious Posts: 4,584 Member
    Options
    Of all of the posts and recommendations and everything else that I've seen here...

I'd still rather have a bag of doritos than coffee up the butt.

Kudos OP.
  • SanteMulberry
    Options
    Plain Doritos are the same as practically any other tortilla chip.

I think most folks are talking about the Nacho Cheese variety, which I haven't eaten in years due to its not being completely gluten free anyway. I stay away from flavored chips like that for other reasons, because I don't trust their flavorings (and its the flavorings that make them so addictive, the added sugar and fat no doubt). But I can freebase just about any kind of chip, even the healthy ones.

I am sympathetic to those who have no willpower over chips, but for me -- never eating straight out of the bag, making sure its all measured by food scale before popping into my mouth controls the overeating for me. It's now a habit and it keeps me from overeating them. It may or may not work for others, but it works for me so I shared my success with it.

For me, chips are nice but not my drug of choice. I often eat plain organic blue corn chips-- (even *gasp* with melted cheddar cheese!) no problem. But I'm like Homer Simpson with doughnuts. *shrug* So I don't go there. (Sorry to taunt the cheese addicts).
  • rm7161
    rm7161 Posts: 505
    Options
    As for wheat, there is a substance called gliaden (not gluten) that has been shown in laboratory experiments to make rats eat and eat whatever food substance that contains it.

Gliadin is a component of wheat gluten.

Bold BBQ Doritos, while not certified gluten free, do not contain any wheat ingredients either... they can be cross contaminated in the factory, which is a problem for someone with celiac like myself, where even around 20 parts per million can cause an antibody reaction, but not an issue for someone who has a simple intolerance. That addictive power is down to the added salt and sugar, and being rather high in fat to start with I'm afraid.
  • SanteMulberry
    Options
    lol this was to funny. Personally, I think every bag of chips should have 1 potato chip dipped in speed. This way for those of us who eat the entire bag at one time we will have an uncontrollable urge to run around for a day or so. My to do list would get so much shorter.

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :flowerforyou:
  • jillica
    jillica Posts: 554 Member
    Options
    You had me at Doritos!

Unfortunately, you lost me at the 2nd Paragraph.
  • VorJoshigan
    VorJoshigan Posts: 1,106 Member
    Options
    What do you have against meth?

EVERYTHING IN MODERATION!
  • CandiSki
    CandiSki Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    LOL. LOVE THIS POST. :drinker:
This discussion has been closed.