Doritos are not meth.

Options

Replies

• Mama_Jag
    Mama_Jag Posts: 474 Member
    Options
    I will preface this by saying I did not read every reply.

From what I did read, some are of the opinion that avoiding trigger food = failure.

I personally view it as success. I have worked at a healthier lifestyle for a few years now. I've quit smoking. And there are certain foods I will not purchase. Period. I have not failed by making that decision, I have overcome my triggers. I still have to walk by those things in convenience stores and grocery stores. I exercise willpower each and every time I go to the grocery store. I won't binge on chips and queso dip, because it's not in the house, even though I had the opportunity to purchase it.
  • jessmart83
    jessmart83 Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    I absolutely love this post. Had me and my bf laughing. I hate when people say I can't control myself, although I do say that myself sometimes. But I don't dwell on it, eat the damn double cheese burger tomorrow is another day.
  • SkinnyBeth4Life
    SkinnyBeth4Life Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    This. Was. Epic. Thank you for writing!
  • Zaggytiddies
    Zaggytiddies Posts: 326 Member
    Options
    I will preface this by saying I did not read every reply.

From what I did read, some are of the opinion that avoiding trigger food = failure.

I personally view it as success. I have worked at a healthier lifestyle for a few years now. I've quit smoking. And there are certain foods I will not purchase. Period. I have not failed by making that decision, I have overcome my triggers. I still have to walk by those things in convenience stores and grocery stores. I exercise willpower each and every time I go to the grocery store. I won't binge on chips and queso dip, because it's not in the house, even though I had the opportunity to purchase it.

But the point is... You don't ***** about it. I don't think OP is talking about folks like yourself.
  • MaraDiaz
    MaraDiaz Posts: 4,604 Member
    Options
    Why would I eat something knowing I will spend the rest of the day wanting to overeat everything? Why not just avoid those annoying foods and spend my willpower on something more productive than fighting a craving I foolishly set myself up for in the first place?

Also, it was MUCH easier for me to quit smoking than to quit eating sweets. So much easier the two don't even compare.
  • Calipalm
    Calipalm Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    LOVE THIS!!!! Very well said! This puts a smile on my face! :)
  • LydHoule
    Options
    I love this. I have held the belief all along that food in not the enemy, guilt is. I work out 4+ times a week and try to eat healthier, but I'm doing this so I can have a cupcake once in a while, and a giant burger every now and again. Not all the time, mind you, but I'm not going to be "that guy" and only eat rice cakes and celery for snacks, or soup broth and broccoli for dinner. No one would invite me over for coffee or dinner! (Besides the fact that that alone would be very unhealthy) Live to better yourself, but also live to reward yourself for all the hard work!
  • rm7161
    rm7161 Posts: 505
    Options
    For me, chips are nice but not my drug of choice. I often eat plain organic blue corn chips-- (even *gasp* with melted cheddar cheese!) no problem. But I'm like Homer Simpson with doughnuts. *shrug* So I don't go there. (Sorry to taunt the cheese addicts).

Oddly, I was never particularly a fan of doughnuts. I would eat them if they were around, like one or two, but I never had any great drive to eat them either. I noticed when I got really sick I had started to become gluten free unconsciously, as foods that caused me gastric upset I started to avoid.
  • cheryljanine
    cheryljanine Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    Love this post. I have gone home every night this week and poured a portion of doritos into a bowl. I crave them about every other month and have to have the big bag. I eventually get sick of them and toss what is left but it takes me a few days to satisfy the crave. you go girl. :wink:
  • rachelsharris3
    Options
    BRILLIANT! Love this! Thank you :smile:
  • allisonlane61
    allisonlane61 Posts: 187 Member
    Options

It's also what keeps you from buying the Doritos at the grocery store. :-)

I would agree totally with this---I know that there are certain foods that I don't even go near in the grocery store--just like a recovering alcoholic knows that it is a bad idea to go into a bar. I know that the first bite of food that I grew up addicted to, doughnuts, cake, pie, cookies, white bread (but any kind of wheat bread is a problem), would be likely to set off a binge. So I just don't take the first bite. I'm not bothered if others around me eat those things, but as for me, I WILL NOT. Moderation is a foreign word to an addict---if he/she was able to have moderation with substances of one sort or another, they wouldn't be an addict.

No, what I meant was it's just as much will power for anyone to just not buy it as to torment myself and buy it and distribute it from my pantry one paltry fistful at a time. Will power is for each a different task/accomplishment.

I'm not a food addict, but I know I love certain things. If there's a small size and I am craving it, I buy it. But if there isn't, I'd just rather not buy it and spend my time NOT thinking about eating it.

I think I may believe there can be food addictions, and brain chemistry and genetic makeup, for all the advances, is still relatively mysterious. Who knows if a gene is "turned on" and there is a genuine physical addiction. I believe for most, will power can play a part--I just choose to exhibit my will power in the grocery store rather than in my pantry.
  • umachanxo
    umachanxo Posts: 926 Member
    Options
    Well said.
  • MaraDiaz
    MaraDiaz Posts: 4,604 Member
    Options
    I just choose to exhibit my will power in the grocery store rather than in my pantry.

:drinker:
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    Addicts cannot have their addiction in moderation, plain and simple.

So I guess food addicts should be simply provided ......what? Pills or IV tubes? Should they get their dietary needs by prescription? I'm sure you don't think they just starve to death?

So, I guess you didn't read the link or beyond that one sentence, eh?

Let me reiterate:

"Just as alcohol is the substance that triggers the alcoholic's disease, there are substances that trigger a food addict's out-of-control eating.These substances are typically refined carbohydrates, sweeteners, fats and processed foods. These foods seem to affect the same addictive brain pathways that are influenced by alcohol and drugs."

There are plenty of healthy, unprocessed whole foods that people who are addicted to food can eat that don't trigger addictive behavior. Rarely do you hear people bemoaning the fact that eating one baby carrot leads to the consumption of an entire package. The problem is generally processed junk food--the ingredients in those foods act upon their brain receptors in the same manner in which alcohol acts on the brain receptors of an alcoholic.

Hope that takes care of your concerns that all food addicts are doomed to a life of IV fluids and vitamin pills.

Sounds like a bunch of hooey to me.
  • RedHotHunter
    RedHotHunter Posts: 560 Member
    Options
    :heart: :love:
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    1. YES, there are real addiction issues that be associated with food, like eating disorders.
    2. YES, "just have more willpower" is not ALWAYS the best answer.
    3. YES, there are variables for each situation that "just say no", might not be enough
    However:
    1. The amount of melodrama around peoples reaction to food is absurd, and many times, overreactions.
    2. Eventually, one MUST learn willpower to resist overeating if they are going to become fit and healthy, this is a part of all "recovery" processes.
    3. You will always be around people with "bad" foods, they aren't illegal (yet) so people are going to eat them around you, offer them to you and yes, not consider your diet and flaunt them. Unless you are going to lock yourself in your house with vitamins and rice cakes, you will have to learn self control or moderation.
    4. Many of these "overreactions" are PART of the person's issue with food, that most likely led to their ED or being overweight, so while it is true a simple "no" might not suffice, a simple "no" will eventually be a necessity.
    5. Learning a healthy relationship with food is the most important thing anyone can do for themselves when it comes to weightloss and healthy living.

So, I agree with the OP when she expresses her frustrations with seeing the same "plea for help" over and over again.

Excellent post!
  • SanteMulberry
    SanteMulberry Posts: 3,202 Member
    Options
    Why would I eat something knowing I will spend the rest of the day wanting to overeat everything? Why not just avoid those annoying foods and spend my willpower on something more productive than fighting a craving I foolishly set myself up for in the first place?

Also, it was MUCH easier for me to quit smoking than to quit eating sweets. So much easier the two don't even compare.

^^^^THIS^^^^
  • EatClean_WashUrNuts
    EatClean_WashUrNuts Posts: 1,590 Member
    Options
    anigif_enhanced-buzz-6365-1355938751-11.gif
  • Ed98043
    Ed98043 Posts: 1,333 Member
    Options
    If it was as easy as "just say no", then no one would be fat. There's plenty of science that backs up the fact that junk food addiction is EXACTLY the same brain process as drug addiction. Dopamine is produced, receptors become desensitized over time and require more and more of the substance to get the same result, willpower flies out the window when the craving is triggered. It's just like a recovering alcoholic not wanting to keep a fifth of whiskey in the house or knowing they can't have "just one drink" at that party. Sure, some are able to self-regulate with time, but some have to resist even a sip for the rest of their lives.
  • acora
    acora Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    YES THANK YOU! I AGREE! :)
This discussion has been closed.