Replies

• Leahnh
    Leahnh Posts: 30
    Options
    :happy:
  • auroranflash
    auroranflash Posts: 3,569 Member
    Options
    1. YES, there are real addiction issues that be associated with food, like eating disorders.
    2. YES, "just have more willpower" is not ALWAYS the best answer.
    3. YES, there are variables for each situation that "just say no", might not be enough
    However:
    1. The amount of melodrama around peoples reaction to food is absurd, and many times, overreactions.
    2. Eventually, one MUST learn willpower to resist overeating if they are going to become fit and healthy, this is a part of all "recovery" processes.
    3. You will always be around people with "bad" foods, they aren't illegal (yet) so people are going to eat them around you, offer them to you and yes, not consider your diet and flaunt them. Unless you are going to lock yourself in your house with vitamins and rice cakes, you will have to learn self control or moderation.
    4. Many of these "overreactions" are PART of the person's issue with food, that most likely led to their ED or being overweight, so while it is true a simple "no" might not suffice, a simple "no" will eventually be a necessity.
    5. Learning a healthy relationship with food is the most important thing anyone can do for themselves when it comes to weightloss and healthy living.

So, I agree with the OP when she expresses her frustrations with seeing the same "plea for help" over and over again.

Excellent post!

Very well written. :smile:
  • TheCaren
    TheCaren Posts: 894 Member
    Options
    I have eliminated a couple foods from my diet that I find I just cannot exercise any kind of portion control with. And you know, I don't miss them. Largely because everything else is available to me. In moderation.

One day I hope to be able to eat Skittles, Starburst and potato chips in moderation, but until I can, I'm going to leave them out of the equation. And if I want a cupcake, I eat one. Ice cream? I eat it. All things in moderation.
  • PeachyKeene
    PeachyKeene Posts: 1,645 Member
    Options
    OP, I just want to say thank you for posting this. I guess I'm one of those weird people with "willpower" and self control though. It's a shame that a post focusing on hard work and self control resulted in a thread full of excuses and whining. But this is MFP. My hat is off to you.

:drinker:

Ignorance is bliss!
  • gadenni34
    gadenni34 Posts: 294 Member
    Options
    1. YES, there are real addiction issues that be associated with food, like eating disorders.
    2. YES, "just have more willpower" is not ALWAYS the best answer.
    3. YES, there are variables for each situation that "just say no", might not be enough
    However:
    1. The amount of melodrama around peoples reaction to food is absurd, and many times, overreactions.
    2. Eventually, one MUST learn willpower to resist overeating if they are going to become fit and healthy, this is a part of all "recovery" processes.
    3. You will always be around people with "bad" foods, they aren't illegal (yet) so people are going to eat them around you, offer them to you and yes, not consider your diet and flaunt them. Unless you are going to lock yourself in your house with vitamins and rice cakes, you will have to learn self control or moderation.
    4. Many of these "overreactions" are PART of the person's issue with food, that most likely led to their ED or being overweight, so while it is true a simple "no" might not suffice, a simple "no" will eventually be a necessity.
    5. Learning a healthy relationship with food is the most important thing anyone can do for themselves when it comes to weightloss and healthy living.

So, I agree with the OP when she expresses her frustrations with seeing the same "plea for help" over and over again.

combine this with the OP and I applaud you both! very well written IMO.
  • Amy62575
    Amy62575 Posts: 422 Member
    Options
    Wow. While I can see what you are trying to do here (and I appreciate it) for yourself and others, food addiction/compulsive eating actually does exist and is very real. Just like I don't understand the mindset of a chronic gambler, smoker or heroin addict, neither might they understand my challenges with food.

Sugar and flour are my gateway drugs. I have 30 years of proof that moderation does not work for me..and no amount of telling me that I "should" be able to control it, forget that it is in the cupboard, just have one, or that I am bad/lazy/weak/lacking in willpower and strength has changed that. In fact, that generally makes it worse..because shame will always do that.

We all have our own ways of dealing with this. It is great moderation works for you. But it isn't the fix for everyone and until you live a day in someone else's skin, you really can't judge.

Can we be friends? Well said.
  • SanteMulberry
    SanteMulberry Posts: 3,202 Member
    Options
    I love this. I have held the belief all along that food in not the enemy, guilt is. I work out 4+ times a week and try to eat healthier, but I'm doing this so I can have a cupcake once in a while, and a giant burger every now and again. Not all the time, mind you, but I'm not going to be "that guy" and only eat rice cakes and celery for snacks, or soup broth and broccoli for dinner. No one would invite me over for coffee or dinner! (Besides the fact that that alone would be very unhealthy) Live to better yourself, but also live to reward yourself for all the hard work!

For me, the whole concept of food as a reward or consolation is what got me into the food addiction biz to start with. If I was a good girl and finished all my homework, before dinner, I could have a cookie. If the kids at school teased me about being fat, I could drown my sorrows, with soda pop or chocolate milk. I had to get rid of the idea that food is to be used that way. If I hadn't, I'm sure that I wouldn't have been "food sober" for two years. Now, I simply look at food (and exercise) as nourishment for my body and food that contributes to that goal is what I have decided to eat. The other foods that I was formerly addicted to don't meet that criteria--so I simply don't eat them. Whatever others choose to do with their bodies is their concern.
  • conorpatmanCHANGED
    conorpatmanCHANGED Posts: 253 Member
    Options
    :flowerforyou:
  • Parmark22
    Options
    Great stuff! I saw one guy losing his mind cause his boss bought him a beer one day after work, thought he was going to have to spend all weekend working out. Was just nuts. Great outlook.
  • SanteMulberry
    Options
    If it was as easy as "just say no", then no one would be fat. There's plenty of science that backs up the fact that junk food addiction is EXACTLY the same brain process as drug addiction. Dopamine is produced, receptors become desensitized over time and require more and more of the substance to get the same result, willpower flies out the window when the craving is triggered. It's just like a recovering alcoholic not wanting to keep a fifth of whiskey in the house or knowing they can't have "just one drink" at that party. Sure, some are able to self-regulate with time, but some have to resist even a sip for the rest of their lives.

YES.
  • mambagirl
    mambagirl Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    I've worked in a eating disorder facility AND a drug rehab facility.When people are weaned off of Sugar,Crack,Alcohol,carbs,or Coffee the result always looks the same to me....Shaking,crying,pulse changes,blood pressure out of whack,headaches......

While I love your post and agree that most people are not addicted to food....

Doritos ARE like Meth for some people Physiologically...well,maybe not Doritos,but Sugar for sure.There are Plenty of Studies in various medical Journals to support this.But,hey just drink 5 cans of Mountain dew for 5 days,then Stop and come back here to tell me that food is not addictive.....Your bodies reactions to the sudden lack of caffeine will prove otherwise.

This is the definition of addiction.

1. drug dependence: a state of physiological or psychological dependence on a potentially harmful drug
    2. devotion: great interest in a particular thing to which a lot of time is devoted

According to that definition alone,you are WRONG!
  • ThinMelvin
    Options
    I think a little compassion for the challenges others have is in order. I see a lot of opinions and experiences on both sides of the self-control/moderation argument. The truth is, none of us, can truly understand the dynamics of what others are going through. Yes, we are all trying to lose weight and be healthier. That is about the only thing we all have in common. My situation is that I put on muscle even while doing aerobic type exercises. I stay away from free weights. I also put on fat in abundance at the same time, because my appetite goes into overdrive whenever I am consistently active. So, please have a little compassion for others.
  • Rhonnie
    Rhonnie Posts: 506 Member
    Options
    I am sure this has been said, but since I dont have time to read 15 pages of posts, this is what came to my mind. You are looking at people's post from your point of view. Grace says we give people the room and time to grow. And an understanding of addictions is necessary. Anything can control us. If you look into your own life you will see areas where you need change. Those areas and the situations that result cause you to say, "man why did I do that?" "I always do that" "I screwed up again." When you catch yourself and if your honest you will, you have to admit your being controlled by something other than will power. Relationships, food, exercise, drugs, alcohol, sex, or what have you. Each person's journey is different, thus individual. The best thing we can do for people is accept them for who they are and where they are in life. Your thoughts though well intentioned illistrate the ugly power of judgement. Judgement keeps people back. Grace allows growth and recognizes people learn things and change in their own time.
    Blessings!!!

Well said!
  • SanteMulberry
    Options
    I think a little compassion for the challenges others have is in order. I see a lot of opinions and experiences on both sides of the self-control/moderation argument. The truth is, none of us, can truly understand the dynamics of what others are going through. Yes, we are all trying to lose weight and be healthier. That is about the only thing we all have in common. My situation is that I put on muscle even while doing aerobic type exercises. I stay away from free weights. I also put on fat in abundance at the same time, because my appetite goes into overdrive whenever I am consistently active. So, please have a little compassion for others.

Well said. Thank you.
  • CalJur
    CalJur Posts: 627 Member
    Options
    Moderation is the key.
  • SanteMulberry
    Options
    I am sure this has been said, but since I dont have time to read 15 pages of posts, this is what came to my mind. You are looking at people's post from your point of view. Grace says we give people the room and time to grow. And an understanding of addictions is necessary. Anything can control us. If you look into your own life you will see areas where you need change. Those areas and the situations that result cause you to say, "man why did I do that?" "I always do that" "I screwed up again." When you catch yourself and if your honest you will, you have to admit your being controlled by something other than will power. Relationships, food, exercise, drugs, alcohol, sex, or what have you. Each person's journey is different, thus individual. The best thing we can do for people is accept them for who they are and where they are in life. Your thoughts though well intentioned illistrate the ugly power of judgement. Judgement keeps people back. Grace allows growth and recognizes people learn things and change in their own time.
    Blessings!!!

Well said!

And I agree as well. Our culture seems to have bred graciousness out of us. A great pity.
  • Rhonnie
    Rhonnie Posts: 506 Member
    Options
    I think a little compassion for the challenges others have is in order. I see a lot of opinions and experiences on both sides of the self-control/moderation argument. The truth is, none of us, can truly understand the dynamics of what others are going through. Yes, we are all trying to lose weight and be healthier.

Exactly!
  • pawnstarNate
    pawnstarNate Posts: 1,728 Member
    Options
    Awesome post! However, my 3 kids are now going to be greatly disappointed when they wake up and this is no longer in the pantry and I'm laying in a bath of crumbs. :laugh:

3005017-037.jpg

^160 calories!!! (don't read the fine print)
  • mjhedgehog
    mjhedgehog Posts: 249 Member
    Options

If someone brings cupcakes into my work, and I decide I’d like one – I eat it, I think “What a delicious cupcake.”, log it as best as I can in my food journal and continue with my day. I never think about it again, I don’t skip dinner or do an extra workout or pray to the Weight Loss God. I don’t shiver and sob on my bathroom floor while rubbing Sensa crystals all over my body.

:laugh: I laughed so frickin hard. nice post.
  • hotjava9
    hotjava9 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    From your general lack of knowledge by dismissing eating clean as "whatever that means" shows you just want to be skinny and not healthy. Look at your labels some time, see what you are putting in your body. I mean great, you think calories in and calories out is the only goal. The best you will ever be is somewhat thinner without getting more serious about nutrition. Go over your limit whatever but including junk in your diet is just that, junk. It isn't food, it is a food like product that does nothing for you.

What is eating clean then?

"When someone makes the choice to eat "clean" they are choosing to eliminate all processed foods and extra additives from their diet. Basically, you are choosing to eat whole, unrefined foods.

The basics of eating clean include - eating lots of fruits and vegetables. These are straight from nature - the idea is to stay away from anything that may have been altered in any way."

so in this case look at all that maltodextrin, monosodium glutamate (MSG), disodium inosinate and 10+ other additives.

MSG info-
    http://www.drgourmet.com/bites/2011/061511.shtml

These additives ARE bad. I don't think I'm better or raise my nose to people that eat them but shrugging it off like it isn't a problem is just dumb. Like I said, these aren't foods these are food like products. I could eat paper too but it sure as hell wouldn't be good for me, probably better than dorritos.
    I don't mean to even come off as one of these "better" people but when you read these studies it is hard to just accept that this is how are food is now and eat it.

What is going to do more for you and your hunger? A banana with 80-120 calories QUALITY carbs and fructose OR 1 serving of chips with 120-150 calories with no satiety and ingredient shown and proven to INCREASE your hunger rather than satisfy it.
This discussion has been closed.