• Brunner26_2
    Brunner26_2 Posts: 1,152
    Options
    Absolutely not

atheist-tombstone.jpeg
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,714 Member
    Options
    "A number of parallels have been drawn between the Christian views of Jesus and other religious or mythical domains.[5][1] However, Eddy and Boyd state that there is no evidence of a historical influence by the pagan myths such as dying and rising gods on the authors of the New Testament, and most scholars agree that any such historical influence is entirely implausible given that first century monotheistic Galilean Jews would not have been open to pagan stories.[5][4] Paula Fredriksen states that no serious scholarly work places Jesus outside the backdrop of 1st century Palestinian Judaism.[6]"

This is from the scholars who strongly refute those who would keep pounding out this OLD canard of New Testament Christianity being influenced by pagan myths.

What makes you think that their myths were original with the pagans? They were always borrowing from others. The "Three Kings" were from Babylon, yet they were quite aware of the Old Testament prophecies of the birth of the Jewish Messiah.

Yes--Christian theologians have always known that December 25th was an unlikely time for the birth of Jesus. The Roman Catholic Church was (and still is) heavily influenced by paganism. They chose December 25th to celebrate the birth of Jesus because they wanted to substitute a "holy day" for an unholy one (the Saturnalia) which was more or less celebrated throughout the Roman Empire.
    Yeah, wikipedia isn't the best source.:laugh:
    And I've never said pagan myths were original. I'm sure stories are borrowed or copied from one another.

My point solely was that the bible was written well after these other myths and stories were already circulating. You CANNOT prove that some or even much of it wasn't copycated because most of the reference was from hearsay then eventually written later.

How one believes in an afterlife is just a matter of faith since it can't be proved (or even unproven) that there is one. I used to believe there was a god, but more and more evidence from science has explained to me why there isn't one while people who don't have evidence just claim on faith that there is.

And you don't have to be sad, sorry, or pray for me to hope that god touches me (that would be against free will). Since I've actually realized it, I've been a lot happier because I don't treat or look at anyone (including homosexuals, abortionists, Muslims, etc.) any different while other christians who claim being non discriminatory are in some way.

I'm okay with just being worm food after dying.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness industry for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • SanteMulberry
    SanteMulberry Posts: 3,202 Member
    Options
    "Yeah, wikipedia isn't the best source...."

I've never understood the snobbery about Wikipedia. In this case, they were quoting recognized scholars.

"My point solely was that the bible was written well after these other myths and stories were already circulating. You CANNOT prove that some or even much of it wasn't copycated because most of the reference was from hearsay then eventually written later. "

YOU cannot know that.

"How one believes in an afterlife is just a matter of faith since it can't be proved (or even unproven) that there is one. I used to believe there was a god, but more and more evidence from science has explained to me why there isn't one while people who don't have evidence just claim on faith that there is. "

There is NOTHING in science that "explains" that there is no God. And I say that with some authority as I am married to a scientist who is also a Christian. I have also known a number of scientists who would never even propose atheism. The ones who do (like the late Carl Sagan) often aren't even first rate scientists. They have chosen their position as a matter of their own arrogance.
  • ninerbuff
    Options
    I've never understood the snobbery about Wikipedia. In this case, they were quoting recognized scholars.
    Because it can be edited. You did fail to recognize the scholars that opposed.
    YOU cannot know that.
    I can easily prove that the bible was written well after jesus life and re translated. Do you deny that?
    There is NOTHING in science that "explains" that there is no God. And I say that with some authority as I am married to a scientist who is also a Christian. I have also known a number of scientists who would never even propose atheism. The ones who do (like the late Carl Sagan) often aren't even first rate scientists. They have chosen their position as a matter of their own arrogance.
    Anecdotes aren't evidence. I can say the same with scientists who easily will refute that the is no god. And the best scientists have been able to accomplish feats that prayer to god hasn't (unless you claim that invitro is somehow god's work).

IDEA Fitness member
    Been in fitness industry for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • Cp731
    Cp731 Posts: 3,195 Member
    Options
    LifeAfterDeath.jpg
  • SanteMulberry
    Options
    "...I can easily prove that the bible was written well after Jesus' life and re translated. Do you deny that?"

The writings that compose the New Testament were written within the lifetimes of the eye-witnesses whose testimonies are recorded there. The entire New Testament, in its present form, has existed AT LEAST, since the Codex Sinaiticus was composed ca. 330 A.D. Even earlier are the writings of the early church fathers which quote EXTENSIVE passages from New Testament writings. It has been said that we could reconstruct the New Testament from those writings alone. Many of them were written in the early 2nd century. No other writings from antiquity have undergone such extensive study and authentication. And you fail to recognize the significance of the Dead Sea Scrolls in authenticating the Old Testament. We can be sure that the Bible we have today is entirely reliable. The original Hebrew and Greek texts are constantly being translated even today---what of it? We still have the original texts to keep everyone honest. We even have fragments of the original manuscripts which have been revered and treasured down through the centuries.

"...Anecdotes aren't evidence."

Neither is disbelief. Just because some scientist expresses his personal disbelief does NOT mean that "science" denies anything which has to do with faith.
  • ninerbuff
    Options
    The writings that compose the New Testament were written within the lifetimes of the eye-witnesses whose testimonies are recorded there. The entire New Testament, in its present form, has existed AT LEAST, since the Codex Sinaiticus was composed ca. 330 A.D. Even earlier are the writings of the early church fathers which quote EXTENSIVE passages from New Testament writings. It has been said that we could reconstruct the New Testament from those writings alone. Many of them were written in the early 2nd century. No other writings from antiquity have undergone such extensive study and authentication. And you fail to recognize the significance of the Dead Sea Scrolls in authenticating the Old Testament. We can be sure that the Bible we have today is entirely reliable. The original Hebrew and Greek texts are constantly being translated even today---what of it? We still have the original texts to keep everyone honest. We even have fragments of the original manuscripts which have been revered and treasured down through the centuries.
    Original texts were handed down orally for a long time. It's not hard to change perception of a story being told when it's told orally. And don't get me started on translation cause this thread can go on forever.
    Neither is disbelief. Just because some scientist expresses his personal disbelief does NOT mean that "science" denies anything which has to do with faith.
    Science and religion are mutually exclusive. Science DOESN'T depend on religion to make discoveries. However religion does conform when science actually proves something that religion may have thought was only god's work (ie invitro)

IDEA Fitness member
  • thecpommander
    Options
    If a person claims to have knowledge about "god", or "his" existence: This person is delusional, intellectually dishonest, and (most likely) dumb as ****.

If a person asserts the logical Non sequitur: "god exists because science can not disprove the existence of god" (i.e. an Argument from ignorance / negative proof): This person is intellectually dishonest, and quite dumb.

If a person asserts that “god exists, because of example A” (e.g. "it's written in the bible", or "the shape of apples perfectly matches the shape of our hands, creating a perfect ergonomic grip", or some other equally retarded ****), this person does not value logic, he/she does not know what constitutes evidence, is delusional, intellectually dishonest and is dumb as ****.

This topic does not belong in the 21'th century....
  • SanteMulberry
    Options
    "Original texts were handed down orally for a long time. It's not hard to change perception of a story being told when it's told orally."

They were NOT "handed down orally for a long time". The gospels were in circulation in rudimentary form in the churches immediately (they were spoken of in the Book of Acts) and the Epistles were circulated in the churches as soon as they were penned. You are quite wrong but you will no doubt believe what you want to believe.
  • SanteMulberry
    Options

People far more intelligent than you can imagine have posited the existence of God.
  • thecpommander
    Options

People far more intelligent than you can imagine have posited the existence of God.

You are not going to tell me that Albert Einstein was a theist now are you? Because I can assure you, he was not.

And even if that was the case, it would be completely irrelevant. Because appealing to authority does not give any credit to your argument/position.
  • ninerbuff
    Options
    They were NOT "handed down orally for a long time". The gospels were in circulation in rudimentary form in the churches immediately (they were spoken of in the Book of Acts) and the Epistles were circulated in the churches as soon as they were penned. You are quite wrong but you will no doubt believe what you want to believe.
    Yeah, adam and eve (another laughable story of how the Earth was populated) were writing on fig leaves to make sure that their story was passed down correctly to writers of the bible.:laugh:
    Thanks for the entertainment.

IDEA Fitness member
  • mom2jagntag
    Options
    i dont know about the Christianity aspect of life after death, I just know that i have smelled my mothers perfume when i have been down and needed comforting. I have heard her voice call my name when i was in danger and needed to be alarmed. I know she is watching over me from somewhere in another demension. I don't know if it's heaven, or what to call it. I just find comfort in knowing she is there. I like to think she has my deceased baby daughter with her whereever that is, and that they are happy in that world. From a scientific point of view, we know that energy doesn't die, it just changes forms, and every human has a spirit energy. So the spirit energy has to do something!
  • SanteMulberry
    Options
    "...You are not going to tell me that Albert Einstein was a theist now are you? Because I can assure you, he was not..."

Even though Einstein was officially "atheist" he would make frequent references to "God" (as many physicists do). Physicist, Roger Penrose, while also "officially" atheist, has said, "I think I would say that the universe has a purpose, it's not somehow just there by chance ... some people, I think, take the view that the universe is just there and it runs along – it's a bit like it just sort of computes, and we happen somehow by accident to find ourselves in this thing. But I don't think that's a very fruitful or helpful way of looking at the universe, I think that there is something much deeper about it." Geophysicist, John Baumgardner (of Los Alamos National Laboratory) is a Christian.

The brilliant geneticist, Francis Collins (past head of the Human Genome Project) outright says he is a Christian, as does the eminent geneticist, J.C. Sanford.

Emeritus Law Professor, (and past law clerk of Chief Justice Earl Warren of the U.S. Supreme Court) Phillip Johnson is a Christian.

And there are many, many more brilliant individuals too numerous to mention.

"...And even if that was the case, it would be completely irrelevant. Because appealing to authority does not give any credit to your argument/position...."

And the ancient Greek Sophists were able to prove the most absurd propositions using formal logic. I am not "appealing to authority"---I am refuting your contention that only "dumb" people believe in an afterlife. You might want to be careful about who you are calling "dumb". I have often observed that those who throw that insult around loosely, frequently display their own ignorance.
  • BinaryPulsar
    BinaryPulsar Posts: 8,927 Member
    Options
    My opinion on this is no.
  • stephross88
    stephross88 Posts: 846 Member
    Options
    I know that we would all like to believe that there is something after we die, but honestly, who knows. I guess we will not know the answer until our time comes.
  • dakotawitch
    dakotawitch Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    Depends on what you mean by "life" and "after death." :)

I'm a reincarnation gal myself, so I think that there will another life for me after this life and the death of this physical form. It might or might not be human, but I do believe that I will go on to have another life.

If you're asking about ghosts/spirits, I do think that people's essences can hang around after their physical form has died. People who die suddenly or violently might be especially prone to hang around, since the transition was so sudden and jarring. But I have "felt" people who have died natural deaths long after their physical forms were gone.

All that being said, I kind of think that what happens to you after death is...whatever you believe it to be. If you believe in the Christian view of Heaven, that's where you go. If you're a white light at the end of the tunnel person, then that's what you'll see.
  • TrailRunner61
    TrailRunner61 Posts: 2,505 Member
    Options
    Yep, I have ghosts and they are dead.
  • Jannat89
    Options
    As a Muslim, it means i definitely believe in the ever-blissful afterlife where i won't need to ever worry about putting on the pounds! :happy:
  • Mustang_Susie
    Mustang_Susie Posts: 7,045 Member
    Options
    Absolutely!! And where you spend it is the biggest choice of your life.

Yep!
This discussion has been closed.