Health concerns about dairy products

Options
I felt I should share this with everyone. I've been doing a lot of research lately on the goods and bads of what we eat and this article really stuck out to me since I recently cut dairy out of my diet. Worth the read and cites all it's sources although I haven't checked them out yet.

In a nutshell, it's linking dairy with osteoporosis, cardiovascular disease, cancer & diabetes. It also cites dairy as being a common dietary trigger of migraines and arthritis pain, acne, & possibility food allergies and colic in infants and children...+more

http://www.pcrm.org/health/diets/vegdiets/health-concerns-about-dairy-products

If anyone else has come across other informative sources about dairy I would love to read them.
:smile:

Replies

• shanmackie
    shanmackie Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    vegucated and forks over knives go over that a bit. as does the book the china study.
  • Christieson
    Christieson Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    The article is nonsense, as is the use of the word Responsible in the title of the organization that promoted it.

Read the language - it is very vague. Individual studies that suggest the links mentioned in the article are heavily outweighed by the thousands of counter studies that confirm the health benefits of dairy.

Milk and dairy products are generally considered to be nature's perfect food, nutritionally balanced with tons of proven health benefits. Don't let some irresponsible, vegan quacks convince you otherwise.

If you fall for this, then I suggest you also cut dihydrogen monoxide out of your diet. I hear that can be pretty bad too.
  • rininger85
    Options
    The article is nonsense, as is the use of the word Responsible in the title of the organization that promoted it.

Read the language - it is very vague. Individual studies that suggest the links mentioned in the article are heavily outweighed by the thousands of counter studies that confirm the health benefits of dairy.

Milk and dairy products are generally considered to be nature's perfect food, nutritionally balanced with tons of proven health benefits. Don't let some irresponsible, vegan quacks convince you otherwise.

If you fall for this, then I suggest you also cut dihydrogen monoxide out of your diet. I hear that can be pretty bad too.

yay for dihydrogen monoxide... no wonder I'm so fat! =)
  • TrainSweatEatSleep
    Options
    I like almond milk
  • thingal12
    thingal12 Posts: 302 Member
    Options
    http://healthylivingmagazine.ca/cow-milk-controversy

Lately, I've seen a lot of controversial research/studies/opinion regarding the consumption of cow's milk. (just as the one I've posted above) The problem is that a lot of people just love to nitpick at one product and create a controversy over nothing. It seems to me that the dairy industry is being targeted by vegan's and lactose intolerant persons who want you to eat more of something else that has calcium (the agriculture industry involved?..hmm). Most of the world's population is lactose intolerant (esp non-white's), so it's not like a lot of people are even drinking cow's milk to start with. Furthermore, Almond milk and Soy milk is becoming more popular (mostly to lactose intolerant persons, and others who just don't like the taste of cow's milk, and others who think it's "healthier"). Nevermind the food pyramid that suggests we drink 3 glasses of milk a day, who does that anyway? Critics of cow's milk always talk about the supple/demand of the product and how farmers are getting paid less in subsidies. They also love to mention how cattle significantly contributes to air pollution and subsequently global warming. I don't believe most people are buying gallons and gallon's of cow's milk. My concern is more, why the sudden attack on cow's milk? and what food will be targeted next??

Here's my motto: Everything in Moderation. A little bit of this, a little bit of that. Too much of any one food is not good for you and yes it'll give you problems.
  • silverainn
    Options
    PCRM is basically a radical animal rights group promoting a vegan diet for everyone, so it makes sense that they're against milk. Their "scientific" studies are heavily funded by groups like PETA, but more often they just pick information out of context from other studies, and apply it to whatever point they're trying to prove. If you follow sources and fact-check, you'll see what I mean.
  • jw17695
    jw17695 Posts: 438 Member
    Options

I love this site. Nutritionfacts.org is another great site as well.
  • SomeoneSomeplace
    SomeoneSomeplace Posts: 1,094 Member
    Options
    Fist rule of research?
    Don't believe everything you hear.

Second rule?
    Peer reviewed studies are much more reliable.

Fun fact?
    For almost every study saying one thing, you can find another saying the opposite
  • hatethegame
    hatethegame Posts: 267 Member
    Options
    I can't say that I've seen any research that pushes me one way or the other on this issue although it's one that interests me a lot. It's funny that most people will disregard anything that contradicts what they currently believe and follow regardless of how and why they arrived at that point-of-view. Not hard to understand though when you have the industry lobbiests driving published nutrition advice.

I do believe that moderation is the key with most everything in life (not just food). I'm not ready to give up my cottage cheese at this point which is the only dairy product I eat with any regularity. Almond milk rules!
  • susanswan
    susanswan Posts: 1,194 Member
    Options
    I don't eat nearly as much dairy as I used to either. Don't drink milk anymore and my animal products in general are very, very limited. Working towards 80% vegan - the 20% being what I can't be in control of 100% of the time. Since I cut way back I don't have the joint pain that I used to. That is proof enough for me. I am a follower of Eat to Live by Dr. Joel Fuhrman. He has compiled research over the last 20 years or so and has used the research in his private practice to overcome heart disease, type two diabetes, autoimmune diseases, and even cancer. A lot of these things are brought on by eating animal products. I don't have a specific article to refer you to but his website www.drfuhrman.com and www diseaseproof.com are loaded with information regarding this very topic. As for propaganda? I believe it has been the meat and dairy industry leading the way for decades. The quiet little voice in the dark can be read on vegetable packages when you buy bagged veggies to eat 5 a day for better health, etc. Mother Nature knows best. Dr. Fuhrman isn't so bad either. Lots of people like to bash on this topic, but good for you for putting it out there.
  • mikeholdsworth
    mikeholdsworth Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    If Milk was bad....woman would not produce it for their babies. Milk is part of a balanced diet supported by many state governments in their food guides.

Having said that, in Canada milk is tested at the producer (farm) and if any atibiotics or steroids are dectected the shipment is dumped. This process does not occur in th US though and you may be exposed to steroids in you milk. WIthin Canada milk is completely safe to drink.

Chicken...on the other hand....is full of antiboitics in US and Canada. They bulk those babies up to keep them healthy and strong....but they are still tasty!
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    Milk is awesome. Cheese is awesome.
  • SwimFan1981
    SwimFan1981 Posts: 1,430 Member
    Options
    cow_milk_for_baby_cows_human_milk_for_baby_humans_bumper_sticker-p128342124873318476en8ys_400.jpg
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options

While I agree that the article is a bit over the top, I don't think you are correct that the studies are "heavily outweighed" by other studies. There are conflicting study results, to be sure. But there are actually quite a few nutrition scientists who question the need, and possibly the safety, of too much dairy in the diet.

And I'm not sure to whom you refer when you say "generally considered to be nature's perfect food", but I doubt there are more than a handful, if any, nutrition experts who could consider dairy a perfect food.
  • Evachiquita
    Evachiquita Posts: 223 Member
    Options
    Milk is great....cow milk for baby animals and human milk for baby humans! You do not see grown cows drinking milk!

I think the article is a little over simplistic and glosses over some of the other dietary impacts that lead to increased osteoporosis and low bone density. It's not just lack of calcium, if it's that at all. All of the ions and electrolytes in your body interact in multiple ways. If you follow any of the acid/alkaline thought of food then you would know that increasing acidity in the body leaches ions (like calcium) from bones. That's why "they" say that the SAD, which is high in acid forming foods (refined grains, sugar) and dairy products with calcium, still lead to decreased bone density and diseases like osteoporosis.

I don't think the OP was saying that s/he only believes this website. Most people know to do thorough research and not believe everything that they read. And yes, there is always an opposing side who gives support for why they are on the other side of the issue. Just make your own informed decisions and stop bashing people for even raising an issue and discussing a topic.
  • ldrosophila
    ldrosophila Posts: 7,512 Member
    Options
    I'm sure some of us could bring out another 1000 studies that completely counter this argument. I'm too lazy to go looking though.

But I'm a happy that I have northren european genes and have the ability to digest lactose! Yeah! great great great great great great great great... grandpa and grandma.

Because if someone tried to take the cheese out of my hand you would see a fat girl go into wild demon mode and rip a face off.

MMMMMMMMMMMM CHEESE!
  • CoachReddy
    CoachReddy Posts: 3,949 Member
    Options
    there are no studies to counter the argument that weren't done with the backing of the dairy industry.

and to those who say this is propaganda, what does the author stand to gain by disavowing dairy? once you give me that shred of info, then I'll hear you out on why it's "propaganda"
  • jw17695
    jw17695 Posts: 438 Member
    Options
    cow_milk_for_baby_cows_human_milk_for_baby_humans_bumper_sticker-p128342124873318476en8ys_400.jpg

Thank you!
  • Jxnsmma
    Jxnsmma Posts: 919 Member
    Options
    Check it out! Last night I made home made mac n cheese with bacon bits stuffed jalapeno meatloaf wrapped in apple cider cured BACON!! It...was...epic!!!!

BACONLoaf_zps388e4620.jpg

I want this even more now than the last 5 times I saw it LOL...