Replies

• moustache_flavored_lube
    Options
    MILK WAS A BAD CHOICE

anchorman-milk-was-a-bad-choice.jpg
  • berthabunny
    berthabunny Posts: 251 Member
    Options
    If Milk was bad....woman would not produce it for their babies. Milk is part of a balanced diet supported by many state governments in their food guides.

Having said that, in Canada milk is tested at the producer (farm) and if any atibiotics or steroids are dectected the shipment is dumped. This process does not occur in th US though and you may be exposed to steroids in you milk. WIthin Canada milk is completely safe to drink.

Chicken...on the other hand....is full of antiboitics in US and Canada. They bulk those babies up to keep them healthy and strong....but they are still tasty!

Organic milk and (sometimes) milk straight from the farm in non-plastic bottles is better. It is tastier and won't have all the additives. We started using organic milk about a year ago, it does cost more, but weighing the benefits this was something we decided to go organic on.

Oh, and I drink tons of whole milk, probably a quart a day.
  • corn63
    corn63 Posts: 1,580 Member
    Options
    I like cows.

Seriously people, if you get hit by a bus tomorrow, it's not going to matter you didn't drink your milk. Can't everyone just get on the "You do as you please, I'll do as I please" bandwagon. Geez. This dairy thing is just about as obnoxious as vegans and vegetarians. WHO CARES? MORE MILK AND CHEESE FOR ME.
  • darrensurrey
    darrensurrey Posts: 3,942 Member
    Options
    I've heard of links between cancer and dairy. I asked a nutritionist who works for a cancer hospital and she said it was nonsense as was the idea that sugar increased the likelihood of cancer developing. Elsewhere, they still teach that you must eat a low fat diet, that carbs are essential for health and that the average person eats too much protein.

So eat what you like because some ****er's gonna come along and tell you it's bad for you sooner or later. Then some other ****er's gonna come along and tell you that you need to eat more of it.

:grumble:
  • darrensurrey
    Options
    I like cows.

Seriously people, if you get hit by a bus tomorrow, it's not going to matter you didn't drink your milk. Can't everyone just get on the "You do as you please, I'll do as I please" bandwagon. Geez. This dairy thing is just about as obnoxious as vegans and vegetarians. WHO CARES? MORE MILK AND CHEESE FOR ME.

I find this post offensive. My uncle got run over by a milk tanker. Reported.
  • corn63
    corn63 Posts: 1,580 Member
    Options
    I like cows.

I find your post offensive. My aunt is a milk truck driver. Reported.
  • darrensurrey
    Options
    I like cows.

Your aunt killed my uncle! Reported.
  • mariposa224
    mariposa224 Posts: 1,269 Member
    Options
    Simple rule: If you are lactose intolerant... don't use dairy...
    If you aren't lactose intolerant why cut it out?
    If it ain't broke don't fix it!
    I've been "lactose intolerant" my whole life, except when I was a child they called it "allergic to milk." I never acquired a taste for cow's milk, but I LOVE cheese and yogurt. LOOOOOOOOOVE cheese. I eat yogurt every single day now. It's not having an ill effect on me anymore, so what does that say? I don't take lactaid or anything of the sort. I will, on occasion, take Gas-X if I feel whatever dairy items I've eaten have made me gassy, but other than that. Oh, and by the way, since I started working out regularly last April, my joint pain is MUCH less than it used to be (hips and knees mostly), oh and this is while eating yogurt and cheese pretty much daily and being lactose intolerant. I guess I must just be a "special little snowflake" who doesn't fit into the mold cast by this particular study.

Seriously... All things in moderation.
  • LiftAllThePizzas
    LiftAllThePizzas Posts: 17,857 Member
    Options
    I like cows.

Your posts are both offensive, my cousin was smashed between a bus and a milk truck while reporting a post.

Reporte----AHHHHHHH!!!!!! **THUMP**
  • evileen99
    evileen99 Posts: 1,564 Member
    Options
    Simple rule: If you are lactose intolerant... don't use dairy...
    If you aren't lactose intolerant why cut it out?
    If it ain't broke don't fix it!
    I've been "lactose intolerant" my whole life, except when I was a child they called it "allergic to milk." I never acquired a taste for cow's milk, but I LOVE cheese and yogurt. LOOOOOOOOOVE cheese. I eat yogurt every single day now. It's not having an ill effect on me anymore, so what does that say? I don't take lactaid or anything of the sort. I will, on occasion, take Gas-X if I feel whatever dairy items I've eaten have made me gassy, but other than that. Oh, and by the way, since I started working out regularly last April, my joint pain is MUCH less than it used to be (hips and knees mostly), oh and this is while eating yogurt and cheese pretty much daily and being lactose intolerant. I guess I must just be a "special little snowflake" who doesn't fit into the mold cast by this particular study.

Seriously... All things in moderation.

Yogurt doesn't contain lactose--that's why you csn eat it without issue. The older the cheese, the less lactose it has. If you're eating aged cheeses, you're probably not getting much lactose. Processed cheese, like Velveeta, cream cheese, and individually wrapped slices, contains the most lactose.
  • SwimFan1981
    SwimFan1981 Posts: 1,430 Member
    Options
    milk.png

:laugh: you should try to get out more....
  • spisea
    spisea Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    PCRM is basically a radical animal rights group promoting a vegan diet for everyone, so it makes sense that they're against milk. Their "scientific" studies are heavily funded by groups like PETA, but more often they just pick information out of context from other studies, and apply it to whatever point they're trying to prove. If you follow sources and fact-check, you'll see what I mean.

PCRM is not funded by PETA. Please! PCRM is an organization that is dedicated to promoting vegan lifestyle, so yes, the evidence they give is going to be tilted one way. In general, they are much more rational than PETA, which is like the evil step mother of the vegan world - demanding all of the attention and doing nothing but causing trouble for the cause. PCRM is not secretive about their motives. You don't need to follow their sources. You can just go to their homepage to learn about their vegan promotion efforts.

Evidence that milk is not good for you is way larger than the vegan movement. In the US, we are dominated by people of northern European background, so we don't see this, but in most of the world, adults are lactose intolerant. You can debate all day long on wether everyone should be cow's milk free, but its beyond debate that people who can't digest milk should stop eating it. If milk gives you indigestion, stop drinking it. There are plenty of alternatives. Cow's milk is baby food. Adults should be getting their calcium from leafy greens. Yes, it takes a lot of greens to do that, but we should be eating a lot of greens.
  • spisea
    spisea Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    I can't say that I've seen any research that pushes me one way or the other on this issue although it's one that interests me a lot. It's funny that most people will disregard anything that contradicts what they currently believe and follow regardless of how and why they arrived at that point-of-view. Not hard to understand though when you have the industry lobbiests driving published nutrition advice.

I do believe that moderation is the key with most everything in life (not just food). I'm not ready to give up my cottage cheese at this point which is the only dairy product I eat with any regularity. Almond milk rules!

Thank you for this moment of sanity. I'm going to let it be the last thing I read tonight. I love almond milk, too. Its a nice compliment to coffee as it has a lightly nutty taste. Never did take to cottage cheese. Sounds like torture food for dieters, but to each their own. I like a nice unsweetened soy yogurt.
  • SwimFan1981
    Options

PCRM is not funded by PETA. Please! PCRM is an organization that is dedicated to promoting vegan lifestyle, so yes, the evidence they give is going to be tilted one way. In general, they are much more rational than PETA, which is like the evil step mother of the vegan world - demanding all of the attention and doing nothing but causing trouble for the cause. PCRM is not secretive about their motives. You don't need to follow their sources. You can just go to their homepage to learn about their vegan promotion efforts.

Evidence that milk is not good for you is way larger than the vegan movement. In the US, we are dominated by people of northern European background, so we don't see this, but in most of the world, adults are lactose intolerant. You can debate all day long on wether everyone should be cow's milk free, but its beyond debate that people who can't digest milk should stop eating it. If milk gives you indigestion, stop drinking it. There are plenty of alternatives. Cow's milk is baby food. Adults should be getting their calcium from leafy greens. Yes, it takes a lot of greens to do that, but we should be eating a lot of greens.

This
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 10,017 Member
    Options
    PCRM is basically a radical animal rights group promoting a vegan diet for everyone, so it makes sense that they're against milk. Their "scientific" studies are heavily funded by groups like PETA, but more often they just pick information out of context from other studies, and apply it to whatever point they're trying to prove. If you follow sources and fact-check, you'll see what I mean.

PETA certainly has funded PCRM. lol. People can eat leafy greens and milk if their not intolerant, I know. crazy isn't it. Also about 35% of the population are lactose intolerant with Asians sqewing that number. Another good example of how easily people are swayed will believe anything if they find it agrees with their philosophy in life and also believe other people should accept what they believe as the ultimate truth. Yoy.
  • Darlekins
    Options

OH PLEASE! PCRM is absolutey the officious-sounding "medical" arm of PETA

http://www.ncahf.org/articles/o-r/pcrm.html PCRM leader, Neal Barnard, MD, has been identified as medical adviser to the radical animal rights organization People for the Ethical Treatment of Animals (PETA), and PCRM may be substantially funded by it. People for the Ethical Treatment of Animals (PETA) and the foundation that manages it—the Foundation to Support Animal Protection, also known as the PETA Foundation—donated over $850,000 to PCRM between 1988 and 2000.

http://www.activistcash.com/org_motivation.cfm?ORG_ID=23 PCRM has been housed at PETA headquarters in the past. He also acknowledged requesting and receiving money from PETA, and using a PETA-owned car to drive back and forth from work. According to Barnard’s deposition, PETA even paid the salaries of some of PCRM’s staffers.

http://www.acsh.org/physicians-committee-for-responsible-medicine-not-so-responsible/

The PCRM hides its entire agenda behind the "Physicians Committee for Responsible Medicine" name because it knows that in general, people are annoyed by hardcore vegans and tend to openly mock PETA.

Science starts out with a hypothesis. The PCRM starts out with a conclusion: "all animal products bad," and then they cherry-pick and obfuscate in every way possible to suit this conclusion, based on their fundamentalist belief in the infallibility of veganism.

And the China Study was conducted by another PCRM board member T. Colin Campbell

True science goes where the data leads... it does not lead the data. If you think there is anything objective about PCRM, you are gravely mistaken.
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 10,017 Member
    Options

OH PLEASE! PCRM is absolutey the officious-sounding "medical" arm of PETA

http://www.ncahf.org/articles/o-r/pcrm.html PCRM leader, Neal Barnard, MD, has been identified as medical adviser to the radical animal rights organization People for the Ethical Treatment of Animals (PETA), and PCRM may be substantially funded by it. People for the Ethical Treatment of Animals (PETA) and the foundation that manages it—the Foundation to Support Animal Protection, also known as the PETA Foundation—donated over $850,000 to PCRM between 1988 and 2000.

http://www.activistcash.com/org_motivation.cfm?ORG_ID=23 PCRM has been housed at PETA headquarters in the past. He also acknowledged requesting and receiving money from PETA, and using a PETA-owned car to drive back and forth from work. According to Barnard’s deposition, PETA even paid the salaries of some of PCRM’s staffers.

http://www.acsh.org/physicians-committee-for-responsible-medicine-not-so-responsible/

The PCRM hides its entire agenda behind the "Physicians Committee for Responsible Medicine" name because it knows that in general, people are annoyed by hardcore vegans and tend to openly mock PETA.

Science starts out with a hypothesis. The PCRM starts out with a conclusion: "all animal products bad," and then they cherry-pick and obfuscate in every way possible to suit this conclusion, based on their fundamentalist belief in the infallibility of veganism.

True science goes where the data leads... it does not lead the data. If you think there is anything objective about PCRM, you are gravely mistaken.
    The American Medical Association (AMA), whose members really are all doctors, has issued resolutions criticizing PCRM’s claim to be a responsible medical mouthpiece.
  • chyloet
    chyloet Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    If Milk was bad....woman would not produce it for their babies. Milk is part of a balanced diet supported by many state governments in their food guides.

Having said that, in Canada milk is tested at the producer (farm) and if any atibiotics or steroids are dectected the shipment is dumped. This process does not occur in th US though and you may be exposed to steroids in you milk. WIthin Canada milk is completely safe to drink.

Chicken...on the other hand....is full of antiboitics in US and Canada. They bulk those babies up to keep them healthy and strong....but they are still tasty!
  • SwimFan1981
    Options

edited, I just saw your post underneath :laugh: