Do you lift heavy? Are you bulky?

Options

Replies

• vjohn04
    vjohn04 Posts: 2,276 Member
    Options

You look absolutely fantastic with or without clothes....wait! what?....that sounded creepy!

*Blush*

Thank you!! Not bad yourself! :love:
  • HeidiHoMom
    HeidiHoMom Posts: 1,393 Member
    Options
    Random question, but do you ladies all have spotters? I want to start lifting again (I lifted back in high school- with 1 RMs of 155 cleans, 115 bench, and 135 squats, <-- yes my legs are weak). I really loved lifting, but I don't have a spotter here at my university. And there's literally, like, nobody in the free weights when I go in the morning. :/
    I'm wondering if you guys have still gotten these results with a spotter, or by yourself? I love free weights, and if I'm going to lift heavy, it better be with free weights.

I don't have a spotter.

I lift the same weight until I am able to do 3 sets of 8 reps and then I add on a small amount to the bar.

Like this week I added 2.5 lbs per side on my bench press. So it's a small amount but it allows me to go up without a spotter because I am building my strength slower.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options

Bench - I use a spotter, but not max lifts
    Squats - I do not use a spotter as I lift in a squat rack/power cage

I don't need spotters for my other lifts.

OK, too old to edit...my glaring lack of English skills has been pointed out to me.

I use a spotter for only max lifts on bench /smh at my lack of coherency
  • newmrsdec10
    newmrsdec10 Posts: 361 Member
    Options
    I love this thread. I have just started added strength training back into my routine. Hope to have some awesome improvements and results as well!

I am doing Nia Shanks' Lift Like a Girl 15 week Muscle Sculpting program first. (one week in) Taking a short health-related break, but planning to continue next week!

Great work to all of you ladies who've posted. Very inspirational. :D
  • kdeaux1959
    kdeaux1959 Posts: 2,675 Member
    Options
    I am flabby and i lift heavy I think i am doing it wrong

No, viewing your profile pic, I do not think this to be the case. I actually think that you still have a little too much body fat to show the definition you hope to achieve. I expect cutting maybe another 5% will "firm you up" quite a bit... (Of course, as a personal trainer, I am sure you knew the answer to that question already)... Best wishes on your journey.
  • MFPfriend
    MFPfriend Posts: 1,121 Member
    Options
    Alright, thanks guys. I'll see if we have power racks for bench. I really hope so.
    I can't wait to get back into lifting. I tried cleaning 80 pounds the other day, and barely managed 1 rep... definitely need to get my old strength back!
  • WithWhatsLeft
    WithWhatsLeft Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    I've no idea of how to post a picture on this thread, I guess it's with IMG tags but don't feel like figuring it out right now.

However, I ran around like a total jerk yesterday SO excited that I saw such great muscle definition in my back and arms. I don't have the V yet but I'm not far off!! I would have never even thought to look without this thread.

I'm so encouraged and pleased and motivated now after this thread and I just can't thank all these awesome women enough for stopping to take their pictures and share them. I'm really studying up now - I have 20 or 30 lbs to loose and I want to do it in the most healthy manner I can. I'm all, welcome to the Gun Show!

If that's what bulk looks like, I'll take it, any day. I looked strong and sleek and sexy and I'll take it, and once I get this weight off, I'll just run around naked all day. Won't be able to keep clothes on me; I'll just be all YEAH IT'S LIKE THAT and stuff. LOL

:)

Eat right and lift hard. Consider me a convert.

hmmm test test

37320244_6060.jpg
  • WithWhatsLeft
    Options
    yeaaaahhhhhhh IT'S LIKE THAT. :)
    I've no idea of how to post a picture on this thread, I guess it's with IMG tags but don't feel like figuring it out right now.

However, I ran around like a total jerk yesterday SO excited that I saw such great muscle definition in my back and arms. I don't have the V yet but I'm not far off!! I would have never even thought to look without this thread.

I'm so encouraged and pleased and motivated now after this thread and I just can't thank all these awesome women enough for stopping to take their pictures and share them. I'm really studying up now - I have 20 or 30 lbs to loose and I want to do it in the most healthy manner I can. I'm all, welcome to the Gun Show!

If that's what bulk looks like, I'll take it, any day. I looked strong and sleek and sexy and I'll take it, and once I get this weight off, I'll just run around naked all day. Won't be able to keep clothes on me; I'll just be all YEAH IT'S LIKE THAT and stuff. LOL

hmmm test test

37320244_6060.jpg
  • MoreBean13
    MoreBean13 Posts: 8,701 Member
    Options

hmmm test test

37320244_6060.jpg

Yay! Welcome to the club! GREAT picture too! Yeah!

For anyone else who wants to post a pic, here's how- first upload it to photobucket or similar hosting site, get the direct link, then:
    2uyr2uv.jpg

Sidenote: ironically I messed up posting this image.
  • WithWhatsLeft
    Options
    Thank you don't I look awesome? LOL just don't ask me to turn around, that's scary.

Posting pics on this thread isn't made easy but that's ok - you need the img tags all lower case.

Today was my resting day, and thanks to some pinned threads here I'm now faced with the obvious - I only ever really lost when I was working the weights hard and eating so much that it was a damned near full time job to keep me fed, like a team effort. My fiance would refuse to leave the house with me to run errands on the weekends unless I had plenty of healthy snacks stocked up in my purse because after an hour or two, I'd be so hungry I'd almost be sick with it and we had to stop everywhere so I could buy proper food and eat. I ate a LOT and I worked out a lot. And I lost and looked and felt better.

I fed my body. I am 45 and I just don't buy that **** that it's harder now. It's always harder. If it was easier, everybody would be doing it.

I have SO much more reading to do.

hmmm test test

37320244_6060.jpg

Yay! Welcome to the club! GREAT picture too! Yeah!

For anyone else who wants to post a pic, here's how- first upload it to photobucket or similar hosting site, get the direct link, then:
    2uyr2uv.jpg

Sidenote: ironically I messed up posting this image.
  • SkimFlatWhite68
    SkimFlatWhite68 Posts: 1,254 Member
    Options
    Thank you ladies. I am totally inspired to keep up my weights routine and keep my LBM and lose fat and then work on getting a hot body that turns heads and makes me feel awesome. Lifting heavy does not equal bulky. Fat equals bulky!!

And for the the pics of the street clothes/back - great inspiration. So many great photos of you all, and nope, I've never heard any woman say that they were pathetic because they could move their own furniture around the house. All power to us!

Thanks.
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,248 Member
    Options
    I was amazed this winter at just how LIGHT a 50 pound bag of rock salt is... now that I lift weights. :smile:
  • LoraF83
    LoraF83 Posts: 15,694 Member
    Options
    I was amazed this winter at just how LIGHT a 50 pound bag of rock salt is... now that I lift weights. :smile:

Isn't it awesome what you realize you can do after you start lifting? I went to a WNBA game with my parents and my 4 year old. I had to carry her all the way from the stadium to the parking garage - and we parked on the roof, so I had to climb all the stairs. My dad kept offering to take her for me, because "she's too heavy for you to carry that far." Uhh, thanks dad, but my working squat is 3x her weight, so I'm good :laugh:
  • WithWhatsLeft
    Options
    I almost flung two frozen chickens across the grocery store yesterday. They were each in a plastic bag - I picked them up off the belt to put in my cart with one hand and wasn't paying attention.

SUPAH woman, lol.

Isn't it awesome what you realize you can do after you start lifting? I went to a WNBA game with my parents and my 4 year old. I had to carry her all the way from the stadium to the parking garage - and we parked on the roof, so I had to climb all the stairs. My dad kept offering to take her for me, because "she's too heavy for you to carry that far." Uhh, thanks dad, but my working squat is 3x her weight, so I'm good :laugh:
  • sarahstrezo
    sarahstrezo Posts: 568 Member
    Options

I agree 100%. I used to send my husband to get the 40lb bags of salt for our water softener. Now, I can load them into the car and carry them (one at a time) into the basement without blinking an eye.
  • BusyRaeNOTBusty
    BusyRaeNOTBusty Posts: 7,166 Member
    Options

Yes. Carrying around larger children is the best benefit to lifting.
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,248 Member
    Options
    i-dont-always-carry-all-the-groceries-in-on-one-trip.jpeg

Except... I do always carry them in one trip. :blushing:
  • bebreli
    bebreli Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    Interested in the no spotter and no power rack options. Really looking into getting all equipment for home so I can make my husband do more.. muahahahah! Plus then I WILL have a spotter!
  • kaee13
    kaee13 Posts: 15
    Options
    OK, since all eyes are on this thread (you all look fantastic and WOW, so inspirational), I guess it's the best place to voice my concerns.

I really want to start lifting heavy. I've started some basic, light-weight exercises that I do at home to help get myself used to form and start workin my muscles, since I've never really lifted before. I'm going today to get a bar and some dumbbells that go up to ~40 lbs each- I figure they will get me by for awhile.

Here's where I'm worried. I have SUCH a hard time reconciling weight lifting and diet. It's ingrained in my brain that, as an obese women, I MUST cut a large number of calories if I want to see weight loss. But, I don't just want to see the numbers on the scale drop. I want to get stronger, I want to lose fat, and I want to eventually build muscle so I can look GOOD, and not just smaller.

Are there any women out there who started out in the obese category who can help me? Should I drop some weight first, then start lifting? Should I lift now while maintaining a caloric deficit? Should I up calories and lift? I'm so lost.

Stats, if it helps:

5'2
    227 lbs
    25 years old
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    OK, since all eyes are on this thread (you all look fantastic and WOW, so inspirational), I guess it's the best place to voice my concerns.

I really want to start lifting heavy. I've started some basic, light-weight exercises that I do at home to help get myself used to form and start workin my muscles, since I've never really lifted before. I'm going today to get a bar and some dumbbells that go up to ~40 lbs each- I figure they will get me by for awhile.

Here's where I'm worried. I have SUCH a hard time reconciling weight lifting and diet. It's ingrained in my brain that, as an obese women, I MUST cut a large number of calories if I want to see weight loss. But, I don't just want to see the numbers on the scale drop. I want to get stronger, I want to lose fat, and I want to eventually build muscle so I can look GOOD, and not just smaller.

Are there any women out there who started out in the obese category who can help me? Should I drop some weight first, then start lifting? Should I lift now while maintaining a caloric deficit? Should I up calories and lift? I'm so lost.

Stats, if it helps:

5'2
    227 lbs
    25 years old

Start lifting now - it will help preserve muscle mass while losing weight, so your losses are fat. Lifting should not be about the calories burned (they are a bonus) but about body composition (plus a bunch of other things). You can still do cardio.