For Vegans / Vegetarians only.

Options

Replies

• assilembob
    assilembob Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    Thank you.

I've been vegetarian most of my life, completely since 15. I've been vegan since 21. I'm 32. I can't eat corpse. I can't eat hormones. I don't see the draw. I tire of the "meat is tasty" and "I can't live without cheese" bs, especially when it's directed at me, posted on my FB page or on my food journal here. That's an invasion. I don't get on people's pages and tell them that the steak they're eating is nasty. I don't want to hear about how nasty they feel my tofu is.
  • Admiral_Derp
    Admiral_Derp Posts: 866 Member
    Options
    While you may be correct, there is a flaw to your logic. You mention that cats and dogs along with humans are overweight because what they are eating is not what they are meant to be eating, this is grossly incorrect.

Animals (and I include us Homo sapiens in this) become overweight when the activity level is lower than the calories consumed. By your logic everyone who eats meat would be overweight and no domestic cats or dogs would be at a healthy weight.

Again, while you may be right about vegan and vegetarian diets from an evolutionary or health point of view, this point probably should have been left out of the post because it is not factual.

Edit: now that I think about it, what was the point of this thread? If you wanted to keep meat-eaters out with the title and you are not telling any vegan/vegetarians anything new, then what was the point in the first place?

It's like church...it's more fun for the preacher if it's a hot crowd full of amens.
  • Strength World Record Holder John Brookfield Power

Germany's Strongest Man titleholder Patrik Baboumian (pictured at left), ultramarathoner Scott Jurek, endurance racer Paul Chetirkin, and Olympic track champion Carl Lewis prove the aforesaid claims are nothing but mindless prejudices and outright lies.

GERMANY'S STRONGEST MAN IS WHAT? OH RIGHT, VEGAN! ;)
  • Many other noteworthy veg athletes have proven that broccoli is mightier than meat, too. Brendan Brazier (professional Ironman triathlete and author of three books on vegan nutrition and vegan fitness training for athletes), mixed martial artist James Wilks, Desmond Howard (NCAAF Heisman Trophy winner), John Salley (4 NBA titles), Bill Walton (2 NBA titles), Robert Parish (3 NBA titles, 21-year veteran), Cynthia Cooper (2 NCAA titles, 4 WNBA titles), Andreas Cahling (1980 Mr. International bodybuilding champion), Bill Pearl (4-time Mr. Universe), Bill Mannetti (powerlifting champion), Stan Price (bench-press champion), Roy Hilligenn (1951 Mr. America), Joel Kirkilis (bodybuilder), Keith Holmes (world middleweight boxing champion), Dom Repta (ultramarathoner who ran 100 miles in 20 hours), Serena Williams (14 Tennis Grand Slam Titles), Martina Navratilova (18 Tennis Grand Slam Titles), Al Oerter (4-time Olympic gold medalist discus thrower), Andy Lally (NASCAR, Grand Am Rolex Series, Streetluge), Leilani Münter (race car driver), Pam Boteler (sprint canoeist who won medals at PanAm and U.S championships competing against men!), Chris Campbell (1981 wrestling world gold medalist), Neil Whyte (Swiss Ball world record holder) and Killer Kowalski (entertainment wrestler). Be sure to check out the websites OrganicAthlete and Great Vegan Athletes as well.

That's right.
  • Gallowmere1984
    Gallowmere1984 Posts: 6,626 Member
    Options
    Again, I said 'World'. Germany does not equal world in any way. That guy's lifts aren't even close to the world record for a weight class below him. Try again.
  • ryry_
    ryry_ Posts: 4,966 Member
    Options
    I would also get rid of the house, the car, the lap top, the air conditioning, etc. because we humans were clearly not designed for these things either.
  • lunnay
    lunnay Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    There was another thread a couple of hours ago where someone posted about the different "homo" species, linking brain size to the amount of meat and other animal products they consume.

It's by neandermagnon, at the end of page two, you can find it here:
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/889577-vegan-therories-at-3-in-the-morning?page=2

The human body is very adaptable, as long as you're getting protein, fats, carbs, vitamins, minerals, etc, from somewhere, it'll adjust. Eat what you want. Life's too short to worry if you're getting the ABSOLUTE BEST possible diet. Plenty of vegans/vegetarians who do it wrong and are lacking in something, plenty of meat eaters who overdo it too. Hell, even today there was a thread linking to a news article of how a woman was drinking 10L of Coke a day and died.

I'm also not sure what the point of this thread was. Preaching to the choir?
  • Gallowmere1984
    Options
    Many other noteworthy veg athletes have proven that broccoli is mightier than meat, too. Brendan Brazier (professional Ironman triathlete and author of three books on vegan nutrition and vegan fitness training for athletes), mixed martial artist James Wilks, Desmond Howard (NCAAF Heisman Trophy winner), John Salley (4 NBA titles), Bill Walton (2 NBA titles), Robert Parish (3 NBA titles, 21-year veteran), Cynthia Cooper (2 NCAA titles, 4 WNBA titles), Andreas Cahling (1980 Mr. International bodybuilding champion), Bill Pearl (4-time Mr. Universe), Bill Mannetti (powerlifting champion), Stan Price (bench-press champion), Roy Hilligenn (1951 Mr. America), Joel Kirkilis (bodybuilder), Keith Holmes (world middleweight boxing champion), Dom Repta (ultramarathoner who ran 100 miles in 20 hours), Serena Williams (14 Tennis Grand Slam Titles), Martina Navratilova (18 Tennis Grand Slam Titles), Al Oerter (4-time Olympic gold medalist discus thrower), Andy Lally (NASCAR, Grand Am Rolex Series, Streetluge), Leilani Münter (race car driver), Pam Boteler (sprint canoeist who won medals at PanAm and U.S championships competing against men!), Chris Campbell (1981 wrestling world gold medalist), Neil Whyte (Swiss Ball world record holder) and Killer Kowalski (entertainment wrestler). Be sure to check out the websites OrganicAthlete and Great Vegan Athletes as well.

That's right.

Cool. Now find me some people who actually made their accomplishments WHILE they were Vegan, not beforehand.
  • Hbazzell
    Hbazzell Posts: 899 Member
    Options
    I will never go back to eating meat. There is nothing in it for me. I love creatures too much anyway.
  • laura328
    laura328 Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    One question for the guy swearing that this is the 'proper' way to do things. How many world strength records are held by Vegans? The answer is none.

So, if this diet is the way that humans are 'supposed' to eat, why are they so physically inferior when they are eating this way? Granted, there are some strong guys out there who are Vegan, and I am not arguing that. What I am saying is that if this is the ideal diet, shouldn't Vegans be dominating their meat eating relatives in all sports? They're not...at all. In fact, they're not even close.

So, why?

Athletes who are vegan/vegetarian:

Patrik Baboumian, Strongman competitor, former bodybuilder
    Brendan Brazier, Triathlete
    Arian Foster, NFL running back for Houston Texans
    Georges Laraq, Pro hockey player
    Mike Zigomanis, Pro hockey player
    Robert Cheeke, body builder
    Luke Cummo, martial artist
    Bryan Danielson, pro wrestler
    Mike Mahler, body builder
    Salim Stoudamire, NBA player
    Mike Tyson, pro boxer
    RIcky WIlliams, running back for Miami Dolphins
    Carl Lewis, Olympic track star
    Joe Namath, former NFL quarterback

There are MANY more, but my hand is beginning to hurt typing all the names of all these tremendous athletes.
    What else ya got?
  • lunnay
    Options
    Just to add to my previous post, I have the utmost respect for you if you're not trying to guilt or misinform people into a vegan/vegetarian diet and if you are following this diet for medical or ethical reasons. It's the misinformation that I'm really against.
  • Gallowmere1984
    Options
    One question for the guy swearing that this is the 'proper' way to do things. How many world strength records are held by Vegans? The answer is none.

So, if this diet is the way that humans are 'supposed' to eat, why are they so physically inferior when they are eating this way? Granted, there are some strong guys out there who are Vegan, and I am not arguing that. What I am saying is that if this is the ideal diet, shouldn't Vegans be dominating their meat eating relatives in all sports? They're not...at all. In fact, they're not even close.

So, why?

Mike Tyson, pro boxer

There are MANY more, but my hand is beginning to hurt typing all the names of all these tremendous athletes.
    What else ya got?

Jesus Christ...does Tofu make people unable to comprehend plain English? Reread my post, and you will realize that none of the people you listed meet my criteria.
  • CorvusCorax77
    CorvusCorax77 Posts: 2,536 Member
    Options
    DUDE I AM A VEGETARIAN

and my son is a vegan.

I was vegan for 11 years.

Don't assume just because someone doesn't agree with your logic that they haven't made the same ultimate choice in lifestyle.

ps. don't eat anything with "natural flavoring" if it is vanilla or raspberry flavored: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Castoreum
  • lunnay
    Options

So, why?

Mike Tyson, pro boxer

What else ya got?

Gallowmere198 means world record holders, not just random athletes who do well. The reasoning being that if a vegan/vegetarian diet is obviously superior, then vegan/vegetarian athletes would at least hold a couple world records on something.
  • laura328
    laura328 Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    Gallowmere198 - does red meat make you rude, hostile and unnecessarily adversarial?
  • pobalita
    pobalita Posts: 741 Member
    Options
    I don't think you are being trolled. I don't mean this to be mean or sarcastic, but you did kind of throw yourself into the argument - just a fact. Of course, people are going to respond on such a heated topic - and not always in a nice way or in agreement with you. Whether you are discussing veganism with lame "canned" rants (how many times have you seen the "milk is for baby cows" argument?) or with what you consider to be the most accurate scientific information out there, people are going to refute it because they are going to eat what they want to eat. No one will ever agree on the optimal diet for humans.

I eat a mostly vegan diet myself (maybe 90-95%). I started because my boyfriend is vegan. I started feeling better and healthier a few months afterward and have stuck with it for nearly two and a half years. I don't do it for moral or ethical reasons, but I know that I personally just feel better. My cholesterol is down, my A1C is down, it's easier to maintain my weight.

Whether I agree with what you posted or not, I give you kudos for standing up and saying what you feel and backing it with something (though I myself doubt some of the "science" out there on veganism). If you want to say what you feel, just realize you are going to take some heat for it - don't feel trolled. Feel good that you said what you believe.
  • peckish_pomegranate
    Options
    I stopped reading after I saw your stupid Anonymous mask.
  • Gallowmere1984
    Options
    DUDE I AM A VEGETARIAN

and my son is a vegan.

I was vegan for 11 years.

Don't assume just because someone doesn't agree with your logic that they haven't made the same ultimate choice in lifestyle.

ps. don't eat anything with "natural flavoring" if it is vanilla or raspberry flavored: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Castoreum

I retract my previous question about Tofu, because I forgot that Corvus eats tofu, and isn't completely braindead.

The jury is still out on many of the others.
  • danikanoodles
    danikanoodles Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    ......world record for handstand push ups was done by a vegan consuming no more than 10% protein

:)
  • azalea617
    azalea617 Posts: 109 Member
    Options

Jesus Christ...does Tofu make people unable to comprehend plain English? Reread my post, and you will realize that none of the people you listed meet my criteria.

Correct me if I'm wrong. Doesn't being superior at anything involve more than just diet? I think you're just frustrating yourself expecting an answer you know probably doesn't exist, if you have such expertise. A lot of people succeed immensely on a vegan diet. A lot of people succeed otherwise.

ps-I'm vegan, but because of medical/ethical reasons. I personally feel better this way. Doesn't mean everyone does.