Added benefits of eating vegan

Options

Replies

• neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 9,986 Member
    Options
    As far a health benefits and passion, personally the paleo/primal group have everyone beat. It just transformed lives every time.
  • eric_sg61
    eric_sg61 Posts: 2,925 Member
    Options
    As far a health benefits and passion, personally the paleo/primal group have everyone beat. It just transformed lives every time.

Yeah, cause we know exactly how paleo man ate. Make sure your buy the paleo protein powder and put BBQ sauce on your chicken wings just like paleo man did:laugh:
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 9,986 Member
    Options

Yeah, cause we know exactly how paleo man ate. Make sure your buy the paleo protein powder and put BBQ sauce on your chicken wings just like paleo man did:laugh:
    The consensus shows morningstar burgers with vegan cheese is on the decline lately, so it's a fight to the finish as to which protein is going to be the big seller this year. j/k
  • BobOki
    BobOki Posts: 245 Member
    Options
    I have yet to meet a single person that actually eats vegan.... more like.. vegan like.
  • cryswest57
    cryswest57 Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    I was just thinking about people who are vegans/vegetarians and their weight loss this morning. I watched a food show last night where they made a veggie burger. I personally don't want to be a vegetarian or vegan, but I am inspired to eat more veggies by this. :) Do you take supplements for protein? I had a friend become sick (who was vegan) because she didn't take them often so please do. I can't remember exactly what happened, but I know she had to start eating meat again. I'm sure someone knows what the cause would be.
  • redraidergirl2009
    redraidergirl2009 Posts: 2,560 Member
    Options
    I was just thinking about people who are vegans/vegetarians and their weight loss this morning. I watched a food show last night where they made a veggie burger. I personally don't want to be a vegetarian or vegan, but I am inspired to eat more veggies by this. :) Do you take supplements for protein? I had a friend become sick (who was vegan) because she didn't take them often so please do. I can't remember exactly what happened, but I know she had to start eating meat again. I'm sure someone knows what the cause would be.

What's a protein supplement? A pill? Lol
  • redraidergirl2009
    Options
    Why are there so many nonvegans on this thread compelled to talk crap? Are you threatened or?
  • PhoenixJR
    PhoenixJR Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    Is there any way MFP can get a vegan thread? I am not judging people for following whatever diet they feel is best for themselves, but I am getting tired of the constant self-aggrandizing preachy posts about how awesome veganism is and how gross it is to eat "corpses". Seriously, we all get it, you are all sooooo super awesome for not eating meat/dairy/honey and we are all barbarians.

I experienced many of the same awesome health benefits by not eating processed foods/grains/legumes. I pretty much eat meat/fruit/vegetables/dairy (I have no intolerances to dairy). I think any diet that isn't the Standard American processed food free for all diet will make anybody see health benefits. If veganism works for you and you feel awesome...well great! I'm glad you found something that works for you! It does not make you a better person.

Sorry for the rant, and double sorry if I've offended anybody. I am just sick of all the preaching.
  • Lecterman
    Lecterman Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    Do you take supplements for protein? I had a friend become sick (who was vegan) because she didn't take them often so please do. I can't remember exactly what happened, but I know she had to start eating meat again. I'm sure someone knows what the cause would be.

No, many vegans take no "supplements" for protein. The food we eat provides us with plenty. I'm sure vegans who are working to maximize muscle hypertrophy would, just like many non-vegans trying to do so.
  • Lecterman
    Lecterman Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    Is there any way MFP can get a vegan thread? I am not judging people for following whatever diet they feel is best for themselves, but I am getting tired of the constant self-aggrandizing preachy posts about how awesome veganism is and how gross it is to eat "corpses". Seriously, we all get it, you are all sooooo super awesome for not eating meat/dairy/honey and we are all barbarians.

I experienced many of the same awesome health benefits by not eating processed foods/grains/legumes. I pretty much eat meat/fruit/vegetables/dairy (I have no intolerances to dairy). I think any diet that isn't the Standard American processed food free for all diet will make anybody see health benefits. If veganism works for you and you feel awesome...well great! I'm glad you found something that works for you! It does not make you a better person.

Sorry for the rant, and double sorry if I've offended anybody. I am just sick of all the preaching.

Maybe just skip them over? Not too hard.
  • redraidergirl2009
    Options

No one on this thread was preaching or talking about eating corpses. Vegans can't have one thread open without someone making jokes or bashing it, yet nonvegans can. How about you look at it from our perspective?
  • bathsheba_c
    bathsheba_c Posts: 1,873 Member
    Options
    The thread is about the health benefits of veganism. We're saying that a vegan diet is not necessarily healthy, and that not everyone can be healthy on an ideal vegan diet. That hardly meets the definition of "talking crap." Unless, of course, YOU feel threatened by anything less than fawning adoration . . .
  • redraidergirl2009
    Options
    The thread is about the health benefits of veganism. We're saying that a vegan diet is not necessarily healthy, and that not everyone can be healthy on an ideal vegan diet. That hardly meets the definition of "talking crap." Unless, of course, YOU feel threatened by anything less than fawning adoration . . .

This might blow your mind but vegans generally know that avvegan diet isnt necessary healthly. Most of us read labels and are well aware how much junk food is actually vegan k?
  • PhoenixJR
    Options

No one on this thread was preaching or talking about eating corpses. Vegans can't have one thread open without someone making jokes or bashing it, yet nonvegans can. How about you look at it from our perspective?

I guess what I am trying to say is that I came onto the food and nutritions threat to try and find information about food and nutrition, and it is constantly riddled with "OMG VEGANISM IS SO SUPERAWESOME!!!". Maybe I am sensitive because I tried veganism and ended up sick, but these posts would really be better suited for a vegan group? That way lumbering omnivores won't stumble in and ruin the party!
  • redraidergirl2009
    Options
    Not to mention mfp is a health/fitness site so most vegans here probably make better food choices than your non-health conscious ones. You can eat crap on any kind of diet. Paleo, vegan whatever.
  • FlaxMilk
    FlaxMilk Posts: 3,452 Member
    Options
    I think the only benefit of eating vegan is that for most people, its a false sense of superiority

And an opportunity for people to make generalizations and judgments on a group of people that they have no way of knowing "most of"?

The benefit for me is being able to eat in a way that is more in line with my values. I say more in line because I don't have the ability to actually control every product I encounter in the world to make sure it is vegan. Those I can, I do.
  • redraidergirl2009
    Options

I guess what I am trying to say is that I came onto the food and nutritions threat to try and find information about food and nutrition, and it is constantly riddled with "OMG VEGANISM IS SO SUPERAWESOME!!!". Maybe I am sensitive because I tried veganism and ended up sick, but these posts would really be better suited for a vegan group? That way lumbering omnivores won't stumble in and ruin the party!

You came across it but apparently you have some hostility towards veganism because It didnt work for you so why would you even open it? Why should vegans have to be forced into a little group because some people can't control their anger or jokes at something they don't like or understand?
  • PonyTailedLoser
    PonyTailedLoser Posts: 315 Member
    Options
    I found that my cramps get way less painful when I am hardcore vegan. Also, skin cleared up :)
  • Hadabetter
    Hadabetter Posts: 941 Member
    Options
    These are real people that experienced a lot of unexpected health benefits, no scientific analysis or studies in this article, just regular people and real results.

I'm glad these people feel well, but anecdotal evidence means nothing. It's the scientific analysis and studies that determine whether the results these regular people had were real or imagined.
  • PhoenixJR
    Options
    Not to mention mfp is a health/fitness site so most vegans here probably make better food choices than your non-health conscious ones. You can eat crap on any kind of diet. Paleo, vegan whatever.

This is exactly what I was talking about. I never said vegans made horrible health choices, I merely said I was tired of the daily preachy posts.

You automatically assume that because I am not vegan, I am automatically making terrible decisions with my diet. Here is what I ate/will eat today:

Skyr made from free range/grass fed/hormone free milk
    2 prunes

Grilled hormone-free/free range chicken
    Sweat potato
    Steamed broccoli

Almonds

Skyr

Apple

Braised spinach
    Sunchokes
    2 eggs from free range/hormone free chickens

Yes, obviously I am making horrible decisions with my health.
This discussion has been closed.