4th of July Challenge!! Please join me!

Options

Replies

• Kalamitykate
    Kalamitykate Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    Welcome to all the new faces, it's great to have you here :flowerforyou:

Good job to everyone - both to those people who are kicking butt this week and especially to those who are struggling. Hanging in there through the hard times is what will make us successful in the end.

I'm having a rough couple of weeks as well. I felt like I was learning good habits and had things figured out, then wildfire season started (I'm a fire dispatcher) and I'm having to relearn everything. We're working 12-14 hour days, bye bye evening walks, and stress levels have gone up. So, today I'm making some changes - more water, no caffeine, and NO CHOCOLATE!! My coworker is under strict instructions to slap my hand if she sees it near the chocolate :laugh: I'm also going to refocus on where my calories are coming from and make sure I get in a good hour on the treadmill, even if it's at 11PM. I'm actually excited today. I feel like I'm starting a new phase of learning to integrate my job with my new healthier lifestyle. If this works it will be a huge step toward making these changes permanent.:bigsmile:

I hope you all have something in your lives today that leaves you excited or inspired. Cheers! :drinker:

Katie
  • Sebastiansmommy
    Options
    Hi everyone:flowerforyou:

Here is my week 3 weigh in

4/25~145
    5/2~ 144
    5/9~143.5
    5/16~142.5
    July 4th goal~ 135
    Actual goal ~123

1 pound loss, I worked my butt off this week and I am happy cuz a loss is a loss, but was hoping for more:ohwell:
    Hope everyone else had a good week and lots of luck for week 4!:bigsmile:

~ Jessica
  • sandara
    sandara Posts: 830 Member
    Options
    3rd week c heck in 2 lbs down this week so I"m happy! 6 lbs since the start of the challenge. I can finally get into my size 16's! yay! Some fit perfect and some are still a bit snug so I have enough to last me for a while. Sure glad I kept them. Time to get rid of the 18's and 20's.

Everybody have a great week! :tongue:

Starting weight: 211
    Current weight: 185
    Goal weight: 150
  • amasot
    amasot Posts: 86
    Options
    My turn to report in!

My scale says I lost 1 kilo (2.2 lbs) this week, but my conscience is bothering me. The same weight has been on the scale since Thursday, with no progress made since. Oh, I can make excuses. I told you I have a UTI that has tired me out. My left leg has been hurting badly since last week so much so that I can't walk the last few days, probably because of the change in weather and my arthritis. Most days I can barely get out of bed. :grumble:

But the truth is I've been hungry and I'm not always making the right food choices. I'm not exercising, not even my physio exercises. I feel miserable and suddenly the instant gratification of food looms more urgent in my mind than the eventual joy of life in a svelte and healthy body. My gettup and go has got up and went. :frown: Shame on me! :embarassed:

Well, as I've said before, I still believe that tomorrow is another day. I'm planning to wipe the slate clean during the dark night and when the sun comes up tomorrow, start over with new hope and hopefully new determination. Maybe I'll spend the rest of the evening bookmarking some healthy recipes to try next week - new stuff that will peak my interest again. Being able to self-motivate is so important in this struggle and developing little "tricks" to help along is also very important. Let's hope things will look up for all of us in the future.

Amalia
  • Soon2beskinny73
    Soon2beskinny73 Posts: 255 Member
    Options
    Hi all ,

I am checking in with my weigh in results :) I lost 2.2 lbs. this week and I am very happy with that!! I hope everyone has a wonderful week ahead.
  • tatiana_13
    tatiana_13 Posts: 325
    Options
    Sunday checkin:
    lost 3 lbs.
    Went running twice

So far so good!
  • amasot
    Options
    Hello everyone! :flowerforyou:

It's been sooooo quiet in here! I hope that's because you are all out exercising and having fun wih your lives!
    I'm doing a bit better, the UTI is receding, thank goopdness. The sciatica is still painful but I think I have a handle on this too, so today WAS better than yesterday and I intend tomorrow to be even better!

I'm doing better on my eating too, so my anxiety has almost gone. I haven't lost any weight yet but I'm sure that too will happen now. :smile:

I hope you are all doing GREAT.
    Do drop in and post. We need each other's support!

Amalia
  • Mandeevsthecake
    Options
    I WOULD LOVE TO JOIN YOU!!! I need to lose about 65 pounds before I will weigh my ideal weight (!!!115!!!) cause everybody says I don't need to lose weight but I have a lot of back and knee problems, and I want to look good in a two piece before the summers over so I'd be more than happy to join you!!!
  • amasot
    Options
    I WOULD LOVE TO JOIN YOU!!! I need to lose about 65 pounds before I will weigh my ideal weight (!!!115!!!) cause everybody says I don't need to lose weight but I have a lot of back and knee problems, and I want to look good in a two piece before the summers over so I'd be more than happy to join you!!!

Welcome! The more he merrier! LOL

We'd love to have you join us and we look forwrd to getting to know you better! Jump right in with both feet... Don't be afraid, someone will be here to catch yo!

Amalia
  • Soon2beskinny73
    Options

Welcome to the challenge , this is a great group!! Post often and let us know how you are doing!!
  • Soon2beskinny73
    Options
    Hello everyone! :flowerforyou:

It's been sooooo quiet in here! I hope that's because you are all out exercising and having fun wih your lives!
    I'm doing a bit better, the UTI is receding, thank goopdness. The sciatica is still painful but I think I have a handle on this too, so today WAS better than yesterday and I intend tomorrow to be even better!

I'm doing better on my eating too, so my anxiety has almost gone. I haven't lost any weight yet but I'm sure that too will happen now. :smile:

I hope you are all doing GREAT.
    Do drop in and post. We need each other's support!

Amalia

Glad to know that your feeling better and getting back on track . AWESOME!!! I am loving this challenge ....great motivator for me because I want to get to my goal by July 4th :) Thanks for creating this thread!!
  • Soon2beskinny73
    Options
    Well here I am for my mid-week check in :) I have decided to check in here mid-week as to help me to be more accountable. This week has been a busy one but not to bad. I have been keeping within my calorie goal all week long ...so far so good so I am happy with that.

Today I did notice that I was hungrier than I have been all week and I am really not sure why since I about eat the same things most weeks. Although I have decreased my water intake this week because I just HAVE NOT been thirsty for some reason so maybe that is why I feel hungrier today but not sure!! So I am going to force the water down and see if that helps :)

Overall I have been doing pretty good and I am very proud of my progress so far. I have been going over a little on carbs which I don't like but I am trying although I have stayed under 100 carbs a day which is PROGRESS since before I was eating 500+ carbs per day , no wonder I couldn't lose weight!!!

Hope everyone is having a wonderful week and see ya'all on Sunday :)
  • EboniA
    EboniA Posts: 181 Member
    Options
    Let's do this! My goals are mainly for working out and weekend eating.

1. Workout 5 days/week for 30 min.
    2. Go for walks with the kids and dog, 3-5 days.
    3. Drink 6-8 glasses of water, especially on the weekend.
    4. Eat smaller portions at home.
    5. Cook more meals (healthy of course).
  • amasot
    Options
    Well here I am for my mid-week check in :) I have decided to check in here mid-week as to help me to be more accountable. This week has been a busy one but not to bad. I have been keeping within my calorie goal all week long ...so far so good so I am happy with that.

Today I did notice that I was hungrier than I have been all week and I am really not sure why since I about eat the same things most weeks. Although I have decreased my water intake this week because I just HAVE NOT been thirsty for some reason so maybe that is why I feel hungrier today but not sure!! So I am going to force the water down and see if that helps :)

Overall I have been doing pretty good and I am very proud of my progress so far. I have been going over a little on carbs which I don't like but I am trying although I have stayed under 100 carbs a day which is PROGRESS since before I was eating 500+ carbs per day , no wonder I couldn't lose weight!!!

Hope everyone is having a wonderful week and see ya'all on Sunday :)

Soon2beskinny, you are doing great! :flowerforyou: Checking in twice a week is a good idea. That way we can help you save the rest of the week if things are going wrong - which they won't, I'm sure!

Sometmes we mistake thirst for hunger and this could be true for you, especially if you are not taking all your liquids. One way to kill two birds with one stone is to drink hot beverages. Clear soups are good, just watch out for the sodium. If you stay low on carbs and high in proteins you will be less hungry.

Keep us posted! :smile:

Amalia
  • amasot
    Options
    Let's do this! My goals are mainly for working out and weekend eating.

1. Workout 5 days/week for 30 min.
    2. Go for walks with the kids and dog, 3-5 days.
    3. Drink 6-8 glasses of water, especially on the weekend.
    4. Eat smaller portions at home.
    5. Cook more meals (healthy of course).

Welcome!! :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou:

Just one question: why only the weekend? Don't you want to be healthy the rest of the time?

Amalia
  • Fancy_Nancy2
    Fancy_Nancy2 Posts: 545 Member
    Options
    Hi I have been kinda out of the loop lately. I some how hurt my back on firday and not sure how I even did it. Went to the Dr.s on monday she gave me some meds and orders to go to physical therapy. My back all ready feel a lot better and I start my physical therapy on firday. I just hope it can get me back on top of my A game quickly. The Dr. think I just pulled a muscle something not major. But on Saturday and sunday I just didn't care about what I ate I was in way to much pain. That is how my husband got some DQ in the house and pizza and some other stuff that we should not have to. Oh well there is nothing I can do about it now. I was able to go shoping and get healthy food in the house. Well I hope by next week I can go work out agine this might be a litttle pushing it but I can't wait to workout agine. Well I hope every one eals had a better week then I did.
  • EboniA
    EboniA Posts: 181 Member
    Options
    I wanted to answer your question about why only weekend eating...

During the week, at work, I eat oatmeal with fiber every morning and a sensible lunch, from home. I have a healthy morning snack or an afternoon snack but rarely both. Dinners at home are harder. We go out to eat a lot or my portions at home are much bigger than they should be. The weekends are worse. I make breakfast of pancakes or toast, eggs, and bacon. We snack a lot and eat large portions. I really don't want the same ol' boring stuff I eat all week so I undulge on the weekend. I don't even think about it like I do at work. I am busy thinking about the kids, the hubby, the house, etc.

My other challenge to overcome is a workout schedule. I don't workout when hubby is home because he works nights and I hardly see him. I have to workout after the kids go to bed and not succumb to catching up on Tivo. Last night would have been a perfect start but (fill in the excuses!). I pledge to workout on Friday, Saturday, and Sunday!! See you Monday.
  • rfretwell
    rfretwell Posts: 1
    Options
    I'm in! Just joined MFP on Wednesday so this will be a great way to get started. My goals are:
    1. Lose 20 lbs by July 4th
    2. Work out 5 times a week or at least 5 hours of exercise
    3. Drink 10 glasses of water
    4. Stay under my goal calories
    5. Stay motivated and upbeat!!!

I gained 30 lbs this year, 20 in the last 2.5 months after I quit smoking.... Ugghhhhhhhh.....
  • weaklink109
    weaklink109 Posts: 2,831 Member
    Options
    I wanted to answer your question about why only weekend eating...

During the week, at work, I eat oatmeal with fiber every morning and a sensible lunch, from home. I have a healthy morning snack or an afternoon snack but rarely both. Dinners at home are harder. We go out to eat a lot or my portions at home are much bigger than they should be. The weekends are worse. I make breakfast of pancakes or toast, eggs, and bacon. We snack a lot and eat large portions. I really don't want the same ol' boring stuff I eat all week so I undulge on the weekend. I don't even think about it like I do at work. I am busy thinking about the kids, the hubby, the house, etc.

My other challenge to overcome is a workout schedule. I don't workout when hubby is home because he works nights and I hardly see him. I have to workout after the kids go to bed and not succumb to catching up on Tivo. Last night would have been a perfect start but (fill in the excuses!). I pledge to workout on Friday, Saturday, and Sunday!! See you Monday.

It looks like you have identified some of the things that are keeping you from being successful, but now you have to make a plan to control your food intake and scheduling of exercise. I know you didn't ask for opinions, but I like to see people achieve success and for that reason, I am submitting the following:

I know it is not easy to care for a family and deal with a spouse's non-traditional work scheduled, but in order to have a consistent program that will result in weight loss, I recommend you spread your workouts in throughout the week. If you can't do some cardio every day, at least try for every other. You can go ahead and do your Fri, Sat and Sun, but you need to add a Tues and a Thurs, or at a minimum, a Wed time for exercise so you don't lose all the ground you might gain by your weekend workouts. If you like to watch tv you have recorded, consider getting a recumbant exercise bike, a treadmill, or an elliptical to do cardio while you are watching tv. I have a Gazelle that I use for that purpose, and it is very handy when I can't get outside to walk.

On weekends, where the food is concerned, I would eliminate making the pancakes (if you don't MAKE them, you can't EAT them),and stick to toast and eggs. If you can't pass on the bacon completely, limit yourself to one piece. Add fresh fruit to the breakfast menu. Tomatoes w/low-fat cottage cheese is something else I often have at breakfast, but be aware that cottage cheese can have a relatively high sodium content, so factor that in, as well. Fruit can work well w/cottage cheese, also.

If anyone in your family whines about no pancakes, suggest it is time THEY learned how to make pancakes for themselves. If they REALLY want them that badly, they will take some instruction. Look at the foods that you know your family does like. Many recipes can be "leaned" by substituting ingredients.

As for the "snacks"--I am betting you are the shopper in the family, so phase in fresh fruit and veggies for snacking. If portion control is an issue, figure out portions of veggies--IE >baby carrots--and make them up ahead so you can grab one when you feel the munchies coming on. Discover hummus. It is fantastic as a dip for carrots and other raw vegetables. If you like creamy dips, discover the wonders of low fat plain yogurt in place of mayo or sour cream. If you gotta have sour cream, get the low fat, or fat free variety.

If you don't make a big production out of it, but start leading by example, you may find that your family is going to be eating a lot healthier than before and they won't mind it a bit. There will probably be things they want to have that are simply not realistic for you except as an occasional indulgence, but that is life.

Temptation is everywhere, one has to make a plan to deal with it and stick to the plan. This is the essence of what I have done for the past 13 months, and my ticker shows the result. I still have a ways to go, but I am far better off than if I had continued to eat whatever, whenever, and however much I wanted to. That philosophy got me on BP meds and to a weight I don't ever want to reach again!! I got rid of the BP meds in March, I am happy to report.

Good luck.

Barb
  • iluvjac
    iluvjac Posts: 12
    Options
    I'm In..

Goals:

Try to loose a pound a week
    Get creative on good for you healthy foods, but FILLING
    Exercise 4X week
    and the most important thing.....TO KEEP SMILING NO MATTER THE OUTCOME!

We CAN DO IT (sorry...I'm watching the water boy!)