what does skinny fat look like?

Options

Replies

• RogueNanna
    RogueNanna Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    I think that "skinny fat" model is just a case of what happens to a normal body in motion, when the photos aren't digitally edited beyond reality. In other words, unflattering shots. Most of what people call skinny fat on here are unflattering photos or normal body fat vs ultra lean. Posture and lighting can make a HUGE difference, as can flexing vs not flexing.

This was on Facebook a couple of weeks ago from "Fitness Model Amanda Adams."
    528991_486420038059855_266959247_n_zps7052b804.jpg
    Ladies..Ladies...Ladies... lol Don't be discouraged by what I call "Professional Mirror Self Pic Takers" haha that's what I like to call myself sometimes and there are tons of us out there ;) Now these two pics were literally taken within 2 seconds of each other, just different facial expression, posing, lighting, wardrobe adjustments etc etc. It's always good to follow girls to give you motivation, BUT most girls that have done photo shoots know how to pose best to take a good pic haha (did I just embarrass myself? Yeah....lol)
    -Lighting? Instagram filters are awesome to make your muscles pop and add shadows in all the right places
    -Heels? That will make your leg muscles pop...duh (but shhh you don't have to actually SHOW the heels in the pic lol)
    -Sexy face or Happy face? Well that shows you have confidence lol which suddenly makes you look 100% better than a "I hate life facial expression"
    -Lotion? Well obviously your muscles will pop out more...
    -Loose pants/bottoms on? If they are tight...well hello skin roll
    -Chest out? Boobs Out? Arms Back, Hips twisted Made my sports bra "tighter" to make my boobs "perkier" haha... etc etc etc etc...
    -Pants - Pants in first pic cut off at the middle of my stomach and are super tight...which is well easier to have "skin rolls" and just yeah... roll em down which then makes you torso look LONGER. lol

It's so sad but also really funny and true...Now I'm not saying this to make fun of people (hello...I do it weekly) But it's to show you all that you really can't compare your progress to other people's pictures!!! Look at them for motivation and that's it! ;) LOVE YOU ALL!

Skinny fat just means someone has excessive body fat, so except in extreme conditions, it just makes someone look heavier than they would if they had lower body fat at the same weight.

When I lost weight by stupidly eating very low calories years ago (under 1000 a day), I reached my goal weight, but I wasn't happy with my body composition. And there's no way I'd have taken a swimsuit photo. I was about 130 pounds, but I had a muffin top, back fat rolls, double chins, etc. Since I was eating so poorly, I lost a larger percentage of lean mass. THIS time around, I ate 1700-2200+ total calories, and looked a lot better at the same weight.

five-years-later.jpg

The bottom jeans were the size 8 that I was so happy to wear when I reached 130 back then, and the top are the ones I wear now. They're size 5 in juniors, but I typically wear 2 or 4 in misses. I'm about two inches smaller all over, because I was better at losing body fat.

IMG_3265.jpg

Like I said, this time around, I lost weight a lot smarter. But I still wasn't "finished" when I reached my goal weight. But I wasn't skinny fat. I had a normal body fat percentage. Probably around 25%. But with good nutrition and weight lifting, I was able to reduce my body fat percentage to the "athletic" range, estimated around 20%.

I'm the same weight in both sets of photos.

135-front.jpg

135-back-flex.jpg

135-back.jpg

135-side.jpg
  • BinaryPulsar
    BinaryPulsar Posts: 8,927 Member
    Options
    Here some tips to become skinny-fat:

1. Eat a Vegan Diet – If you don’t want to eat any meat, your body will just eat you instead. Unfortunately it’s on a low fat diet in this case.

2. Do lots of cardio – Training your body to be catabolic, breaking down muscle and to store fat is great if you want that “I used to be 300 lbs until I got sick” look.

3. Take lots of thermogenic fat burners – Nothing like turning up the furnace while the windows are open. The room might get warmer, but the bill in the end is never pleasant. Thermogenic maybe be short term fat burners, but in the long run they are more muscle burners and long term fat storers.

4. Go on a low calorie starvation diet – The HCG diet is a great examples. It’s like paying for the experience of a prison camp without making any new undesirable friends.

5. Join weight watchers – Obviously the only point these people haven’t gotten is that if you want to be healthy you should eat a healthy diet and exercise. Is there an app for that?

6. Take a spin class – Did you know spinning classes actually increase lower body fat. Do enough of them and you might slim your waist after you have completely fried your adrenals, but by then you will be sports some major cottage cheese thighs.

7. Never pick up a weight ever – I’m serious, it will make you so huge you will have to walk sideways down the hall to your office. Ok not really, but you know that age old testament, if you don’t use it you lose it. Well it’s pretty accurate when it comes to muscle tissue. If you don’t want to be Skeletor for next Halloween, then you might start moving some iron.

8. Skip meals – Skipping meals is like training for fat storage. The more you go without proper nutrition the more you tell you body to store fat for these long breaks.

9. Eat lots of Gluten – Nothing says lose muscle and store fat like a highly inflammatory food that depletes your body of vital nutrients and damages your digestive tract making it harder for you to get nutrients from the rest of your diet.

Seriously? And what are your credentials? Cycling makes you skinny fat? What a joke. The people I cycle with are anything BUT skinny fat. Please stop bashing what you clearly don't know.

Yeah, my husband was a recreational biker for a long time and he has incredibly firm, muscular, and strong legs. I love his legs!!
  • RogueNanna
    RogueNanna Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    What an excellent post! I'm new to this forum so I hope people who read will know what I'm referring to. Thanks for sharing all your photos that demonstrate how important weight bearing exercise is to appearance.
  • shorty35565
    shorty35565 Posts: 1,425 Member
    Options
    This is me. This is what skinny fat looks like & I hate it! Trying to get rid of it. I am probably the textbook definition.

You look great.

You aren't skinny fat. Looking at your picture, I'd guess about 25% bf (dangerous to guess)
    Skinny fat is 35%bf or higher for someone with a BMI in the "normal" range.

Good luck onyour goals! Please understand that your body is normal and fine - you can go for more fit look, if that is what you want. But let go the hate.
    Yes, this. Don't mistake "I'm not at my goal yet" for something "there's something wrong with me."

Yes, I've been guessed to b 25% But I'm 5'4 3/4 119lb. That is a bit too high of a BF% for my height & weight I would think. In a few more lbs I'll almost be underweight :( I hope by that point I can be 20% so I can bulk, but idk if it will happen. Once I posted with my pictures on here & people called me the definition of skinny fat.
    Nnnnnnnooooooooooooooo don't do what I did. I waited until I was 5'7 and 120lbs before I started 'bulking' and as you can see on page 5 in the pictures on the left I had like no muscle so I had to gain 10lbs in hope of acquiring some muscle mass back and so I'm packing on the fat again. Back up to about 20%BF now. Some day, I well have that line down my stomach...it was the vaguest thing ever and I was about 17% BF. Retain the muscle you have now *creepy voice while rattling weights* train now.

I lift weights on a small deficit now, so I think I"m maintaining MOST of my muscle. I know not all of it. But it's not recommended to bulk at 25% BF.
  • BinaryPulsar
    BinaryPulsar Posts: 8,927 Member
    Options
    A lot of people misuse the term skinny fat, to mean someone who is at a healthy weight but does not have muscle definition. This is not the correct definition.

There is such a thing as skinny-fat though, and medically speaking it's not a healthy way to be, as the person is likely to have problems due to being underweight according to their lean body mass, combined with problems due to carrying too much fat. The post I just replied to in this thread has the medical definition of this, i.e. normal weight obesity. "skinny-fat" is a colloquial term for this.

As I mentioned earlier (I think), skinny fat refers to the type of person who looks skinny (male and female) but stores a lot of fat round their mid-section, and particularly worryingly around the organs (which is known to result in various diseases including cancer). Am I right?

well "skinny-fat" is a colloquial term.... normal weight obesity is a medical term. If they look skinny, they can't really be storing that much fat around their midsection.

The problem with colloquial terms is they can mean different things to different people so I'm not really going to argue about the precise definition of a colloquial term. If the term's changed its meaning from "normal weight obesity" to "someone who's thin but not ripped" then I think that's a real shame because a) there's no health risk from being thin but not ripped, in fact it's very healthy, and b) it's become yet another term for body shaming.

what you describe is not "normal weight obesity" as for that someone needs to be underweight according to their lean body mass, but be carrying an obese amount of fat, so the two cancel out and result in a normal BMI.

neandermagnon has great comments and descriptions on here. ^^^
  • CoderGal
    CoderGal Posts: 6,800 Member
    Options
    This is me. This is what skinny fat looks like & I hate it! Trying to get rid of it. I am probably the textbook definition.

You look great.

You aren't skinny fat. Looking at your picture, I'd guess about 25% bf (dangerous to guess)

Good luck onyour goals! Please understand that your body is normal and fine - you can go for more fit look, if that is what you want. But let go the hate.
    Yes, this. Don't mistake "I'm not at my goal yet" for something "there's something wrong with me."

Yes, I've been guessed to b 25% But I'm 5'4 3/4 119lb. That is a bit too high of a BF% for my height & weight I would think. In a few more lbs I'll almost be underweight :( I hope by that point I can be 20% so I can bulk, but idk if it will happen. Once I posted with my pictures on here & people called me the definition of skinny fat.
    Nnnnnnnooooooooooooooo don't do what I did. I waited until I was 5'7 and 120lbs before I started 'bulking' and as you can see on page 5 in the pictures on the left I had like no muscle so I had to gain 10lbs in hope of acquiring some muscle mass back and so I'm packing on the fat again. Back up to about 20%BF now. Some day, I well have that line down my stomach...it was the vaguest thing ever and I was about 17% BF. Retain the muscle you have now *creepy voice while rattling weights* train now.

I lift weights on a small deficit now, so I think I"m maintaining MOST of my muscle. I know not all of it. But it's not recommended to bulk at 25% BF.
    Yes! Good for you.
  • Alohathin
    Alohathin Posts: 360 Member
    Options

You look great.

You would have to have a very slight build to be 35+% BF and still be in "normal" BMI. Normal BMI cutoff for my height is 191. In order to be more than 35% body fat at 191, I'd have to have a LBM of 124 pounds. My LBM is 150ish, and I suspect I'm about average.
  • shorty35565
    Options

You look great.

You would have to have a very slight build to be 35+% BF and still be in "normal" BMI. Normal BMI cutoff for my height is 191. In order to be more than 35% body fat at 191, I'd have to weigh 124 pounds. My LBM is 150ish.

the thing a being skinny fat is having very low LBM
  • Alohathin
    Options

You look great.

You would have to have a very slight build to be 35+% BF and still be in "normal" BMI. Normal BMI cutoff for my height is 191. In order to be more than 35% body fat at 191, I'd have to weigh 124 pounds. My LBM is 150ish.

I understand that, but as a 5'7" male, 124 pounds LBM would require a ridiculously small amount of muscle, The only men I see like that are usually ill, and don't have much fat on them, besides. ;)
  • Alohathin
    Options

You look great.

I understand that, but as a 5'7" male, 124 pounds LBM would require a ridiculously small amount of muscle, The only men I see like that are usually ill, and don't have much fat on them, besides. ;)

Thinking about it more, I guess it could happen, with a different body type than my own; perhaps I'm just trying to picture myself looking like that. I wouldn't think it is very common, though.

It would definitely be easier for a woman, too, since they are naturally higher in bodyfat% and less in muscle%. Perhaps 35% is not the cutoff for men.
  • shorty35565
    Options

You look great.

Thinking about it more, I guess it could happen, with a different body type than my own; perhaps I'm just trying to picture myself looking like that. I wouldn't think it is very common, though.

It would definitely be easier for a woman, too, since they are naturally higher in bodyfat% and less in muscle%. Perhaps 35% is not the cutoff for men.

I think it's much more common in women
  • Alohathin
    Options

You look great.

I think it's much more common in women

Yeah, and there are some boxers/wrestlers who are my height who have an LBM nearly that low even with a fair amount of muscle, so it's probably doable.
  • rainbowbow
    rainbowbow Posts: 7,490 Member
    Options
    Damn I used to look good-

2front.jpg

5'3, 135 pounds, 32% body fat. Size 6-8

Eta: this is really embarrassing to see... =\. Even my face was fat.....
  • geekyjock76
    geekyjock76 Posts: 2,720 Member
    Options

2front.jpg

Hmm. I'd say you are closer to 27% body fat than 32% which would give a LBM of 98.5 lbs vs 92 lbs.
  • shorty35565
    Options

2front.jpg

Hmm. I'd say you are closer to 27% body fat than 32% which would give a LBM of 98.5 lbs vs 92 lbs.

omg...if this is 27% then there is NO WAY I'm 25%. This looks great compared to me :(
  • rainbowbow
    rainbowbow Posts: 7,490 Member
    Options
    Had a dexa scan :O

I should also add this was August of 2011 and it has taken months upon months to have a more favorable body composition.

Better angle?
    1side.jpg

2front.jpg

• Minerva624
    Minerva624 Posts: 577 Member
    Options
    I guess I could be considered skinny fat.
  • EvgeniZyntx
    EvgeniZyntx Posts: 24,208 Member
    Options

You look great.

That's correct, for men the cut-off is about 25% based on obesity levels of fat for men. Please read on.

But, but! Skinny fat is really the lay term for a disease state. I'd suggest that weight location, along with blood markers really are the true measure of NoWO (aka "skinny fat") . It's a medical concern if you have poor blood work. Everything else is eyeofthebeholder esthetics.
  • harvo
    harvo Posts: 4,676 Member
    Options
    Ladies, I beg you...please quit beating yourself up. You ladies are beautiful NOW, TODAY, IN THOSE PICTURES. If you see something you want to improve onby all means go get it but in the mean time heads up and shake those *kitten* when you walk!
  • The guy in this youtube video is the picture perfect candidate for skinny fat.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5v4hFyY6bpY

Looks as if he enjoys it......