breakfast...the most unhealthiest meal of the day..

Options

Replies

• bossonbabe
    Options
    Amen to that! For my entire life, if I ate breakfast, I felt sluggish and not on as on top of my game as if I went without. Look at the food pyramid - the American consumer can best get in all those grains if they start with cereal/toast/pancakes.
  • chocl8girl
    chocl8girl Posts: 1,968 Member
    Options
    Hmmmm.....7:30am...must be time for breakfast!!! :love:
  • WaterBunnie
    WaterBunnie Posts: 1,370 Member
    Options
    I had a baked mackerel for breakfast and have felt full ever since (12.43pm here now). Not all breakfasts have to be sugary rubbish!
  • MsLilly200
    MsLilly200 Posts: 192 Member
    Options
    Did you know that logging into MFP every day keeps you from being eaten by rabid wombats?

Seriously. I've logged in every day for 51 days, and ain't a wombat to be seen in my general vicinity.

Correlation =/= causation.

I will add that even a short under a month on MFP helps protect from rabid wombats! It MUST be true!

Now that I think about it... I don't think I've seen any wombats since I joined MFP either........ Even just being a member keeps them away!

Of course, I don't think I've ever heard about wombats living in Sweden outside the zoo, and I never go to the zoo... But I'm sure that doesn't change the obvious fact that MFP protects me from rabid wombat attacks.
  • rvicini
    rvicini Posts: 252 Member
    Options
    I had a baked mackerel for breakfast and have felt full ever since (12.43pm here now). Not all breakfasts have to be sugary rubbish!

Absolutely the point. I am not "manipulated by big food companies", a good amount of protein for breakfast -I ALWAYS have my egg- keeps you moving. And of course, I have a 400-450 cal breakfast everyday. Love my bread to go with it and my morning fruit juice of whatever kind.
  • firemanfive0
    firemanfive0 Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    This made me want waffles and ham for breakfast...nom nom nom!! ok waffle, ham, oj, coffee done AND for 483 calories!!! GAWD if only I had skipped breakfast this whole time I could have lost another pound....dammit!!! LOL
  • BrittanyNBuchanan
    BrittanyNBuchanan Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    Did you know that logging into MFP every day keeps you from being eaten by rabid wombats?

Seriously. I've logged in every day for 51 days, and ain't a wombat to be seen in my general vicinity.

Correlation =/= causation.

Haha!!! This^^^
  • ajaxe432
    ajaxe432 Posts: 608 Member
    Options
    Hello,

I respect your opinion and the stats that you have generated. But in my opinion is you can not just blame breakfast for the obesity epidemic. There is so many other factors....Inactivity, binge eating, genetics, the crap they put into foods and the list goes on and on...Although an interesting claim and worth a look, in my opinion and working through ACSM, breakfast could(but highly unlikely) be the answer. Also, congrats on losing 3 percent body fat. But skipping breakfast for some people may have the opposite effect because as we both know, not everyones body is the same:)
  • chaoticgeek
    chaoticgeek Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    Here is the proof! Ever since breakfast was invented in 1970 people have kept getting fatter. Just look at the chart. You can't argue with a sciency chart.
    breakfastchart.png

I think your source is wrong. That chart claims almost 70% of the population is obese. When the most recent study from the CDC says only about 36% of the population is obese. http://www.cdc.gov/obesity/data/adult.html

And since everyone is throwing in anecdotal evidence I'll give my .02. For most of my life I never ate breakfast. I've been obese for most of my life too. About 7 months ago I started losing weight. One of the things that helped me was eating in the morning during traditional breakfast times. It made a huge impact on my work. I'm now the lead developer for my company and my brain needs lots of energy to actually code properly. When I started eating something in the morning I noticed clear thinking and better time spent. Then around 12:30 or 1pm I'm hungry again and I start losing focus. I eat again and soon I'm back to normal. I've actually got it down so that I eat again around noon so that I don't have that dip in my focus.

So breakfast helped me lose 40 pounds at least. 24 pounds is since the 1st of the year and that is about when I settled into a breakfast routine that cut yogurt out in the morning.

So for me, breakfast is the most important meal of the day, then lunch. I skip dinner sometimes when I'm not hungry but I can't skip a breakfast. However on the weekends when I don't have any work to do or any personal projects I'm working on I normally have a late breakfast and lunch and they are normally more even in size. Like now I'm going to go get something to eat for breakfast and I've already been up for two hours. During the week I could not do that and not be able to focus.

However my results are anecdotal and are no way scientific. Since I have not had breakfast I don't have the energy or focus to go find valid sources that say something one way or the other.
  • SideSteel
    SideSteel Posts: 11,068 Member
    Options
    Chronic caloric surplus causes obesity. Beyond that I'm not sure it makes any sense to pin it on any particular meal.
  • CoraGregoryCPA
    CoraGregoryCPA Posts: 1,087 Member
    Options
    I wake up at 5, I don't eat breakfast till 9. This is after I workout, take a shower, prepare my lunch and drive/arrive at work. Is it really breakfast anymore?
    Ok folks here are the stats...

forty four percent of us eat breakfast, yet 2/3's of americans are obese. Hmmm yet we keep hearing that breakfast is the "most important meal of the day". I guess if you want to be obese then it is. Also, the whole "I need to eat breakfast to stoke the metabolic fire theory' has been totally debunked; as meal timing has nothing to do with metabolism. So I say eat when you are hungry and the let the chips fall as they may. I personally have been skipping breakfast for about five months now, and have lost three percent body fat. Oh, and you wont go into starvation mode if you don't eat breakfast so don't even come with that...cheers!
  • Cyclingbonnie
    Cyclingbonnie Posts: 413 Member
    Options
    It is all about balance. One person's balance is not the same as another's. I do believe extremes should be avoided whenever possible. That's all I have to say about this. Argue all you want. Do what works for you, if breakfast isn't something you want to do, don't, however I would give it a try.
  • wilmnoca
    wilmnoca Posts: 416 Member
    Options
    How does this make sense. Less than half the people in the US eat breakfast yet you are blaming breakfast for people being obese. So if 80% of people eat dinner then it must be dinners fault that people are obese. Lets cut dinner out then. Would go more towards your logic.

*this*
  • LolBroScience
    LolBroScience Posts: 4,537 Member
    Options
    Here is the proof! Ever since breakfast was invented in 1970 people have kept getting fatter. Just look at the chart. You can't argue with a sciency chart.
    breakfastchart.png

I think your source is wrong. That chart claims almost 70% of the population is obese. When the most recent study from the CDC says only about 36% of the population is obese. http://www.cdc.gov/obesity/data/adult.html

And since everyone is throwing in anecdotal evidence I'll give my .02. For most of my life I never ate breakfast. I've been obese for most of my life too. About 7 months ago I started losing weight. One of the things that helped me was eating in the morning during traditional breakfast times. It made a huge impact on my work. I'm now the lead developer for my company and my brain needs lots of energy to actually code properly. When I started eating something in the morning I noticed clear thinking and better time spent. Then around 12:30 or 1pm I'm hungry again and I start losing focus. I eat again and soon I'm back to normal. I've actually got it down so that I eat again around noon so that I don't have that dip in my focus.

So breakfast helped me lose 40 pounds at least. 24 pounds is since the 1st of the year and that is about when I settled into a breakfast routine that cut yogurt out in the morning.

So for me, breakfast is the most important meal of the day, then lunch. I skip dinner sometimes when I'm not hungry but I can't skip a breakfast. However on the weekends when I don't have any work to do or any personal projects I'm working on I normally have a late breakfast and lunch and they are normally more even in size. Like now I'm going to go get something to eat for breakfast and I've already been up for two hours. During the week I could not do that and not be able to focus.

However my results are anecdotal and are no way scientific. Since I have not had breakfast I don't have the energy or focus to go find valid sources that say something one way or the other.

It is a made up chart.... how can you people not see this?
  • Rado_SVK
    Rado_SVK Posts: 442 Member
    Options
    Ok folks here are the stats...

forty four percent of us eat breakfast, yet 2/3's of americans are obese. Hmmm yet we keep hearing that breakfast is the "most important meal of the day". I guess if you want to be obese then it is. Also, the whole "I need to eat breakfast to stoke the metabolic fire theory' has been totally debunked; as meal timing has nothing to do with metabolism. So I say eat when you are hungry and the let the chips fall as they may. I personally have been skipping breakfast for about five months now, and have lost three percent body fat. Oh, and you wont go into starvation mode if you don't eat breakfast so don't even come with that...cheers!
    sorry man but all that is a complete nonsense.
  • marciebrian
    marciebrian Posts: 853 Member
    Options
    you could be right..old Joe Pancake is housing down waffles, hashbrowns, sausage, bacon, and a half loaf of toast...maybe that is it...???
    ;-) that sounds like it could have something to do with it.. I'm an egg whites gal. I actually love them so its not a health issue. I have them every morning at work with hot sauce ;=)
  • EDesq
    EDesq Posts: 1,527 Member
    Options
    ANY Meal can be UNHEALTHY, if YOU make it that way.
  • metacognition
    metacognition Posts: 626 Member
    Options
    More than 40% of us drive cars, wear pants, and have a piece of fruit every once in a while.

Correlation is not causation.

I had some cereal with dark chocolate cocoa on it this morning, it was so good...
  • supergirljen
    Options
    20 pages on this topic? Someone shut this page down, for the love of breakfast...