Treadmills --- why do people hold on to the rails?

Options
I notice regular looking people (not old or overweight people) holding on to the rails while walking on the treadmill. Why do they do that? Doesn't even look like they're walking fast either.

What's the the point of walking if you need a rail to hold on to? There's no rails in the real world.

The fastest I can walk on a treadmill, before I have to start running, is 4.4 mph. I don't need to hold on to anything either.

Replies

• scott1111111
    scott1111111 Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    I don't hold on to them but I do reach out to them from time to time. It might be worse for others but the treadmill is horrible for me and my balance. I am pretty well coordinated but walking on the treadmill just throws me off balance. I only use it in the winter time when the weather is bad, I would much rather be out on a trail hiking. So they could be even less coordinated than I am and need the stability.
  • ajhugz
    ajhugz Posts: 452 Member
    Options
    They might be new to it. My first few times was after I had lost weight and I was scared of falling. I didn't have anyone to give me a pep talk like hey the treadmill isn't going to eat you. I held on while cutting it on/ off and changing speeds until I was comfortable.
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    Guess what OP, there are no treadmills in the real world (save for airports). Why are you walking on a treadmill when you could be walking outside? Whats the purpose of walking when you could be running? Why are you judging other's workouts when you should only be focused on your own?
  • kitty_764
    kitty_764 Posts: 64
    Options
    Guess what OP, there are no treadmills in the real world (save for airports). Why are you walking on a treadmill when you could be walking outside? Whats the purpose of walking when you could be running? Why are you judging other's workouts when you should only be focused on your own?

Thank you.

I might add - OP did you forget where you came from? Or did you hop on and take off the first handfull of times? Maybe they are new to the game and aren't used to walking on a moving floor.
  • 1ConcreteGirl
    1ConcreteGirl Posts: 3,677 Member
    Options
    nobody on a treadmill has any right to judge anyone for anything. You're walking and not going anywhere, ffs!
  • SwimFan1981
    SwimFan1981 Posts: 1,430 Member
    Options

QFT!!
  • jackieomara
    jackieomara Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    The rails on treadmills at my gym have a heart rate monitor/reader on them. Or if they're walking on an incline to help them keep up.
  • Mr_Bad_Example
    Mr_Bad_Example Posts: 2,403 Member
    Options
    I notice regular looking people (not old or overweight people) holding on to the rails while walking on the treadmill. Why do they do that? Doesn't even look like they're walking fast either.

What's the the point of walking if you need a rail to hold on to? There's no rails in the real world.

The fastest I can walk on a treadmill, before I have to start running, is 4.4 mph. I don't need to hold on to anything either.

They're doing it to annoy you... and it seems to be working. Oh, congratulations on not having to hold on to anything. That's a total NSV.
  • randimarie1125
    randimarie1125 Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    i held on in the beginning, probably for security, and balance. Then my gym trainer , told me to let go! lol so it took a few workouts, but i learned to let go, and its easier now that im somewhat jogging. For some reason the slower i go, the more i want to hold on? idk either way, it took me a little while to let go, but its easier now that i have more range with my arms.
  • tuckervc
    tuckervc Posts: 30
    Options
    The rails on treadmills at my gym have a heart rate monitor/reader on them. Or if they're walking on an incline to help them keep up.

This, mine does. Or they could have health issues that you can't see. I have inner ear/balance problems and sometimes I need to hold on even though I know I am not going to fall.
  • Serenstar75
    Serenstar75 Posts: 258 Member
    Options

I don't hold them, generally, but will often balance myself on them. The reason is because my center of balance is usually off and unlike with the ground, this is a machine that IS moving that if you lose balance you can really screw yourself up and fall. Which is rather unpleasant. I also can't run, but that's because of my knee.
  • geekyjock76
    geekyjock76 Posts: 2,720 Member
    Options
    I program the treadmills at my gym to go faster if they don't hold on to them. It entertains me.
  • supertracylynn
    supertracylynn Posts: 1,338 Member
    Options
    I get confused at this same thing.
    I can understand on the stair master, or the older/disabled crowd.

But a healthy looking man, running at a 0 incline at 6mph, holding on to the sides and/or top to keep up with the belt?
    Or the fitness-competitor type holding on at a 3.5 incline, at a 3.5 pace?

:noway:

Even as a size 22 newbie who was "allergic" to exercise, I didn't do any of those things.

ETA: the man running at 6mph holding on really was holding on only for the purpose of keeping up. I am still completely baffled, and I'm not the staring type.
  • Confuzzled4ever
    Confuzzled4ever Posts: 2,860 Member
    Options
    cause my clumsy butt would go flying off it!! (joking!! I don't use treadmills! LOL)
  • xaMErica
    xaMErica Posts: 284 Member
    Options
    HRM... incline.. when I get that incline up high enough I feel like I'm going to fall off and bust my *kitten*..... I agree with the people saying to mind your own business though. When I went the first day I felt like people where staring at me and I felt bad because people where running beside me faster.. I have to start running at like 4.2. I'm only jogging at 4.5.. I'm doing a hell of lot better than people sitting on their *kitten*'s. We don't judge here.
  • tobejune
    tobejune Posts: 177
    Options
    Because they have seen this.... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0ivX8kjlCfc
  • DontStopB_Leakin
    DontStopB_Leakin Posts: 3,863 Member
    Options
    nobody on a treadmill has any right to judge anyone for anything. You're walking and not going anywhere, ffs!
    ^This.
  • SlinkyAndHerAmazingBunsOfSteel
    Options
    Because they CAN
  • Soosannah
    Soosannah Posts: 270 Member
    Options

^^^ This^^^

I have an inner ear injury due to a scuba diving accident so I have problems with balance at times especially things that move under me, not only treadmills but escalators, moving side walks and even elevators if my head is stuffy. Thank goodness I have a treadmill at home so I don't have to go to the gym and get judged for why I hold onto the rails. Geez why are people so caught up in what other people are doing? Do you're own thing and don't worry about what other people are doing.
  • mwooderson
    mwooderson Posts: 254 Member
    Options
    I don't hold the rails any longer however, when I first started walking and running on the treadmill I held the rails. Otherwise I would find myself going off to one side.