How to target back fat?

Options

Replies

• DontStopB_Leakin
    DontStopB_Leakin Posts: 3,863 Member
    Options
    Nothing works on it. It just grows there one day and it stays.

completely untrue. a calorie deficit and strength training works. patience works too.
    It is true. Unless you are a female, you can't say for sure. Women are NOT men. Women's bodies are not the same as men's bodies. I am so tired of men who do not understand a woman's body is different who gives advice.
    I'm a female, and he's completely correct. What you said was completely and 110% false.

I've shed enough back fat to the point that my bras don't cut in and create unsightly back pudge.

Also, in terms of fat loss and muscle growth, while the rates and percentages do vary, women and men's bodies are essentially the same.

Both require a deficit to lose fat. Both require a surplus to gain muscle. And both require strength training to retain muscle and improve growth/size.

Women are not special snowflakes.
  • TheGnomeQueen
    Options
    Push-ups. When I was in the Army, my back and shoulders looked killer!
  • whierd
    whierd Posts: 14,025 Member
    Options
    Laser pointers work well. And so do sharpies.
  • Amoravy
    Amoravy Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    1. Lose more weight.
    2. Start strength training
    3. If you have a back, chest, arms and shoulders, upper body strength training is probably a good idea.

Yeah, if losing weight was that simple maybe I wouldn't be posting my question in the first place? I eat right, exercise, and havent lost anything in months. I have been doing this for a year and am down only 15 pounds. The scale wont budge.

Thread Translation: I've been following a regimen that's proven to be ineffective. I will keep doing this ineffective program no matter how many people that have had success tell me that I should try something that has been proven to work. I'm asking for advice but what I really want is someone to tell me it's not my fault. Because I'm a woman. And women have it hard.

Oh...and I would not really call my regimen "ineffective" seeing how I now run marathons asswipe. Oh, and I said I lost 3 pants sizes. I am complaining about not melting fat off certain areas. God, how ineffective my workout must be. Let me cry because I am just a girl. That can probably out-run your *kitten*.

He gave you advice and you just zeroed in on him saying to lose more weight - which he meant body fat. He never said it'd be easy. And if the scale isn't budging and you aren't losing in the measurement department- then try something different...like Dav's advice....

Seeing as how my WHOLE POINT of asking for "tips" to reduce my body fat seemed pretty obvious in the first place...these are not really tips I asked for. I said I did not strength train everywhere for a reason.

What type of strength training should I do for the back? Telling me I need to reduce body fat is telling me the sky is blue and I crap the color brown.

"Hey guys, I cant get rid of my back fat and do not strength train...how can I target this area?"

"Ashley, you should reduce body fat"

GENIUS!
  • elyelyse
    elyelyse Posts: 1,454 Member
    Options
    maybe I missed something that was said, but it seems, OP, that your focus is mostly on exercise, without a huge focus on diet/nutrition. Its very important to realize that while exercise is essential to fitness... it's not THE key to fat loss*. You can lose weight with a caloric deficit even if you sit on your rear end all day... but you can work out all day and it won't help if you aren't eating at a deficit.

(*yes, I know increasing LBM through exercise is a big help in maintaining a healthy weight... but no amount of muscle is going to overcome a caloric surplus is my point)
  • ashleab37
    ashleab37 Posts: 575 Member
    Options
    1. Lose more weight.
    3. If you have a back, chest, arms and shoulders, upper body strength training is probably a good idea.

Yeah, if losing weight was that simple maybe I wouldn't be posting my question in the first place? I eat right, exercise, and havent lost anything in months. I have been doing this for a year and am down only 15 pounds. The scale wont budge.

Thread Translation: I've been following a regimen that's proven to be ineffective. I will keep doing this ineffective program no matter how many people that have had success tell me that I should try something that has been proven to work. I'm asking for advice but what I really want is someone to tell me it's not my fault. Because I'm a woman. And women have it hard.

Oh...and I would not really call my regimen "ineffective" seeing how I now run marathons asswipe. Oh, and I said I lost 3 pants sizes. I am complaining about not melting fat off certain areas. God, how ineffective my workout must be. Let me cry because I am just a girl. That can probably out-run your *kitten*.

He gave you advice and you just zeroed in on him saying to lose more weight - which he meant body fat. He never said it'd be easy. And if the scale isn't budging and you aren't losing in the measurement department- then try something different...like Dav's advice....

Seeing as how my WHOLE POINT of asking for "tips" to reduce my body fat seemed pretty obvious in the first place...these are not really tips I asked for. I said I did not strength train everywhere for a reason.

What type of strength training should I do for the back? Telling me I need to reduce body fat is telling me the sky is blue and I crap the color brown.

"Hey guys, I cant get rid of my back fat and do not strength train...how can I target this area?"

GENIUS!
    People are giving you valid, sound advice that based on the simple laws of physics and thermodynamics will WORK. You are refusing to listen to it and being rude.
  • Natihilator
    Natihilator Posts: 1,778 Member
    Options
    1. Lose more weight.

GENIUS!

http://lmgtfy.com/?q=Upper+body+workout
  • princessrisariri
    princessrisariri Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    Came to this thread because I have the same area of fat.
    Trying to pick the good advise out form the flaming here
    So I should alongside some cardio and calorie deficit:

*do strength training and weights focus on upper body - Anyone got any links to videos or even just writen guides on how to lift/technique to get the chest/upper back muscles?

*do some yoga - again anyone got links to specific moves in yoga to help?

I have some 1.5kg weights and don't know what to do with them other than when Jillian uses them in her dvds.
  • Amoravy
    Options
    Why has this board led to sex-bashing? I just want my back fat gone.

Holy balls...or tits...

You're joking, right?

Maybe because you need to change up your regimen? You can't keep the same resistance and x pounds lost later, still expect it to continue to work after a certain amount of weight is gone. You have back fat. Know what back fat is included in? Body fat %. Lower your body fat %, lower and help lose your back fat. If you don't change up what you're doing, you yourself are not going to change either. Given firsthand after a month of doing some Jillian Michaels, I had lost an inch around my bust, and my back was firmer/less flabby. If you're that freaked out from any type of use of weights and having any type of muscle gained, good luck losing it, lol. Most chicks that have that lack of back fat either have awesome genetics or, most likely, tone their muscles with some type of weight training.
    [/quote]
    [/quote]

THANK you for a real tip and not just telling me I need to lose weight and that's it. Are you talking about the videos? I heard they are really good. Which one did you use?
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    If you are not losing weight you are probably eating too much.
  • Cat_Lifts
    Cat_Lifts Posts: 174 Member
    Options
    Also,

Hey that's great, you can do a marathon - big woop. Your regimen sounds effective for marathon running, not losing fat - yet, you're still here crying about your weight loss problem and refusing any of the appropriate and effective advice to help you. No offense, but the more you act like an aggressive *kitten*, the more you'll most likely be treated like one. Sorry.
  • ashleab37
    ashleab37 Posts: 575 Member
    Options
    Hold the phone everyone I think I have the answer! She's looking for the secret that I hold...
    Drink 3 times a day a juice blend of carrot juice, beets, fresh dirt (make sure it's nice and fresh...not that day old sh**), bark of a maple tree, and honey...Specifically made to target back fat. It'll melt off.
    You forgot the dash of motor oil.
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Options
    1. Lose more weight.

GENIUS!

And you've missed what others have said...so I'll say it again - You can't spot reduce. This is why Dav told you simply - lose the body fat because you can't target an area like that. You can strengthen the muscle in those areas..but you were asking about getting rid of the fat.
  • Amoravy
    Options
    Hold the phone everyone I think I have the answer! She's looking for the secret that I hold...
    Drink 3 times a day a juice blend of carrot juice, beets, fresh dirt (make sure it's nice and fresh...not that day old sh**), bark of a maple tree, and honey...Specifically made to target back fat. It'll melt off.

Hahahaha! Oh god...I did juicing years ago. That sucked, and it did taste like dirt.
  • DontStopB_Leakin
    DontStopB_Leakin Posts: 3,863 Member
    Options
    1. Lose more weight.

GENIUS!
    Good lord, you're a peach.

You can't TARGET an area to spot reduce fat.

Feel free to Google lifts that target your back. Feel free to do them. They'll work wonders, but *only* if you reduce. your. body. fat.
  • ellygolightly
    Options
    LIFT HEAVY. GO GO GO :)
  • 1ConcreteGirl
    1ConcreteGirl Posts: 3,677 Member
    Options
    You cannot spot reduce.

As you lose body fat, it will go away. If it has not gone away, you still have body fat to lose.

Strength training will help that to happen as well. You cannot ask for opinions and then get upset when you don't like what you asked for. Sorry, kid. Doesn't work like that.
  • melonclarinet
    melonclarinet Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    I wanted to add that having the right kind of bra/swimsuit that is the correct size, cut, style, and material will make a big difference in the way your back fat looks. Although I am going to continue taking the advice everyone listed above, I don't think you will so this may be your best option...shopping.
  • BusyRaeNOTBusty
    BusyRaeNOTBusty Posts: 7,166 Member
    Options
    I don't understand asking for advice then being rude to those who give it.
  • theologynerd
    theologynerd Posts: 264 Member
    Options
    I had to come back to see more of her responses. This is fun.