Treadmills --- why do people hold on to the rails?

Options

Replies

• SPBROOKS68
    SPBROOKS68 Posts: 561 Member
    Options
    I look normal but hold the rails as I have neuropathy and get off balance easy which whould cause me to go flying off the back...so SAFETY!
  • jamers3111
    jamers3111 Posts: 495 Member
    Options
    My mother is legally blind, thus has trouble with her balance. She loves walking on the treadmill and holds on to the rails. If you can't say something nice don't say anything at all.
  • ademiter
    ademiter Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    Because. This:

funny-girl-treadmill-fail.gif

Ummmmmmm THIS FOR SURE!!!!!!!!!!!! lol
  • xandra
    xandra Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    Question ---Why do you care? Focus on yourself.
  • Elzecat
    Elzecat Posts: 2,916 Member
    Options

This, mine does. Or they could have health issues that you can't see. I have inner ear/balance problems and sometimes I need to hold on even though I know I am not going to fall.

Exactly.

I also have inner ear problems, and it feels like the world is spinning when it's acting up; I get nauseous, fall down, the whole ball of wax. If I'm having a mild episode, I will walk on the treadmill, and if I feel my balance going off I have something to hold onto; at least I'm still doing what I have to. Now, when it's not acting up I'm all out running on that thing at around 7 to 8 mph, or I'm running outside if there isn't a sheet of ice or snow pack on the ground.

So the moral of the story is this: people may have health issues that require them to hold onto the rails, and just because you're on a treadmill doesn't mean you're somehow less than someone who runs and/or walks outside. Each have their own advantages and set backs. The important thing is that a person is doing something to help themselves, which is commendable in my book, holding onto the rails and all.

:flowerforyou:

Adding...why does anyone CARE how someone else uses a treadmill, or how they look running outside, or ??? If it's not a personal friend of yours for whom you have concerns for their health/safety, FFS, you don't need to worry about them!
    I think this is why so many people feel uncomfortable at gyms or walking/running outside. The amazing amount of judgement by others. They're getting off the freakin' couch and should be commended for doing SOMETHING for their health. Enough said!
  • kewasko
    kewasko Posts: 1
    Options
    I hold on to the rails because I have MS that causes severe instability at random times and I would end up flat on my face otherwise. I look normal on the outside but I'm a hot mess on the inside. :)
  • krisbychiken
    krisbychiken Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    I can't walk in a straight line. I lightly hold onto them so I don't fall on my face. Mind ya bizzniss.
  • Elzecat
    Options
    Because. This:

Ummmmmmm THIS FOR SURE!!!!!!!!!!!! lol

in this case she's running way too fast and if she held on would probably hurt herself even more! As a person who had crummy balance in the past, I've actually fallen off a treadmill AND while just walking on a bumpy sidewalk...oops...
  • Elzecat
    Options
    OP. You should not judge what others are doing. Some people might be recovering from an injury, or may have balance, muscle or joint problems. As long as you are able to do your workout the way you want to - why worry about what others are doing? Live and let live - everyone has to start somewhere.

I have just come back from a very short run the park after breaking a big fear of mine - running outside at my snails pace for five minutes. I am trying my best. I would hate to think people were judging me negatively.

^^^^^^^^
  • towens00
    towens00 Posts: 1,033 Member
    Options
    I walk / run regularly on my treadmill when weather or schedule doesn't allow outside. As I get easily distracted & have managed to launch myself off several times over a period of years, I always have a hand lightly resting on or just above. Don't do well injured. Some of us are not "well balanced" :)
  • ellenasl210
    ellenasl210 Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    Guess what OP, there are no treadmills in the real world (save for airports). Why are you walking on a treadmill when you could be walking outside? Whats the purpose of walking when you could be running? Why are you judging other's workouts when you should only be focused on your own?

Everyone judges everyone... It's how humans are. When I'm at the gym, sometimes I judge people, not gonna lie. I'm also positive others are judging me. Just how it is.
  • sullus
    sullus Posts: 2,839 Member
    Options
    Guess what OP, there are no treadmills in the real world (save for airports). Why are you walking on a treadmill when you could be walking outside? Whats the purpose of walking when you could be running? Why are you judging other's workouts when you should only be focused on your own?

Why are you judging other's workouts when you should only be focused on your own?
  • bclever13
    bclever13 Posts: 44
    Options
    I always hold on for fear of falling....however I try to keep it at at least a 10 incline
  • towens00
    Options

:)
  • KenosFeoh
    KenosFeoh Posts: 1,837 Member
    Options
    I tend to wander from one side to the other when I walk (on the street as well as the treadmill), so I have to hold into the rails of the treadmill at least part of the time to keep myself centered and balanced. But I do let go as often as I can.

Most of the time when I walk, though, I take my dog and walk outside. I use the ArcTrainer at the gym.
  • jessical30
    jessical30 Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    I hold on..YES I admit it...I am a rail holder. I do this because I am the must clumsy person ever.. Once I get into my groove without the rail I get off balance so then I hold on to reassure myself I'm ok. I don't care how it looks, Just as long at I don't fall back on my butt!
  • towens00
    Options
    Because. This:

QFT, that would be me :laugh:

Yup, been there, done that!
  • sportybrewerschick
    sportybrewerschick Posts: 170 Member
    Options
    I don't have the best coordination or balance and have fallen off. :(
  • RGv2
    RGv2 Posts: 5,789 Member
    Options
    And the responses keep on coming.

:facepalm:
  • Midnight_Sunshine
    Midnight_Sunshine Posts: 369 Member
    Options

QFT!!

What's QFT?

Quacking F**k Tard?