KETONE DIET- what are youir thoughts on it????

Options

Replies

• SwimFan1981
    SwimFan1981 Posts: 1,430 Member
    Options
    I recomend reading 'the ketogenic diet' by Lyle McDonald. Loads of info (over 300 pages) on ketogenic dieting and diferent cycles for carb intake.

this thread should have ended here

I'm betting it will reach 20 pages :laugh: such a waste of energy eh....
  • GamerLady
    GamerLady Posts: 359 Member
    Options
    Keto is great! I love it, and my advice is to try it for yourself and decide. Some people can't do keto, others thrive on it. Just remember, you will go through 'carb withdrawls' as I like to call them, so you must give this diet a good month before you decide to ditch it. :)

I love it because I feel full, my skin has cleared, and I'm losing a lot of weight. I honestly don't miss the carbs most days. :P

^^This^^
    I love it, and just as you said my skin is a lot clearer with very low carbs. I don't have any breakouts during that TOM anymore. I have so much more energy. Around the holidays, I was offered a piece of pie, and I took it, cause I didn't want to offend my father in law. It literally made me feel sick. Just so much sugar and the pie crust...I mean it tasted awesome, but I felt horrible about 30 minutes after eating it. I just don't eat a lot of bread, pasta, potatoes, sugars..I feel so much better not doing so. I've been eating very low carb diet for years now.
  • Puggles04
    Puggles04 Posts: 37
    Options
    The Huffington Post had an article about Keytones. http://www.huffingtonpost.com/becky-hand/raspberry-ketones_b_2727943.html
  • desiv2
    desiv2 Posts: 651 Member
    Options
    Hahaha Andy I <3 you you sexy beast :)

Also for the record most of my keto friends plan to transition to paleo eventually, and are using keto for weight loss. I just observed this and figured I put it out there! :)
  • Spartan_Maker
    Spartan_Maker Posts: 683 Member
    Options
    It's a superior diet for many reasons. It's how we all got here; that is to say, as a matter of evolutionary biology, it saved our ancestors from every major blight and famine in human history. I think that whole "natural selection" thing ought to give people a clue.

The diet provides a huge metabolic advantage. Compared to other diets, you can maintain all of your essential body functions while eating 8,400 fewer calories each month -- a 2.5 lb. advantage every single month.

As I've written in another post:

"[T]he reason why fat loss is so much easier for those on low carbohydate diets, especially a ketogenic diet (< 50 grams of carbs a day for most people), is because they have to eat 300 fewer calories each day, compared to everyone else trying to lose weight. Over just one week's time, that's 2,100 calories: a huge "metabolic advantage."

In that regard, the brain is unlike any other part of the body. It can only run off of two types of fuel: glucose or the ketone body beta-hydroxybutyyrate combined with a relatively small amount of glucose. Everyone's brain, regardless of his or her height and weight, uses roughly the same amount of calories.

When a person is eating less than 50 grams of carbohydrates a day, they produce sufficient amounts of the ketone body beta-hydroxybutyrate to fuel the majority of the brain's energy needs -- roughly 75%. By limiting carbohydrates and not spiking insulin all day long, ketogenic dieters are always in so-called "fat burning mode": hormone sensitive lipase is upregulated all the time, resulting in the constant breakdown and mobilization of triglycerides. As those triglycerides are broken down, the liver immediately grabs its share of the fatty acids and glycerol to fuel the brain. The liver does so by making beta-hydroxybutyrate out of the fatty acids and uses the glycerol to make glucose in a process called "gluconeogenesis."

People who simply cut calories never produce enough beta-hydroxybutyrate to sufficiently fuel their brains. As a result, they are invariably subject to hypoglycemia and have to eat carbohydrates every time their glycogen runs low. On a ketogenic diet, the brain is always taken care of endogenously through the process above. Consequently, ketogenic dieters never experience hypoglycemia and can effortlessly eat less and stick to their daily calorie goals while rarely even thinking about food. When the brain is fed, the overwhelming majority of the body's cells can function using fatty acids.

The ketogenic diet is the reason all of us are here posting in this thread. It's how our ancestors overcame every major blight and famine in human history. It's why I cringe when I hear those who never took high school biochemistry call it a 'fad'."

ETA: When people talk about the life-extension benefits of "calorie restriction," it's just a polite way of saying "carbohydrate restriction." Even then, however, most people don't really know why it works, but I'd bet a brick house against a bag of sugary donuts that it's because of the powerful attenuating effects of beta-hydroxybutyrate on oxidative stress.
  • lizziebizzie42
    Options
    well ive lost 69lb in little over four months on a ketone diet and it was recommended by my gp and nutrition consultant, and do regular checkups... its the only diet that works for me.. not a diet for everyone, but each to there own :happy:
  • Matt_Wild
    Matt_Wild Posts: 2,673 Member
    Options
    I see no problem with keto diets in anyway.

The research data given can be countered by many others showing the opposite in terms of keto and going down the routes of claims on disease etc equally can be given towards other avenues.

I personally begin a diet with protein/fats/carbs and end it on keto to rip up the last bits of fat.

In terms of saying things about ketones being bad - NO! It is just a process available to the body which it has developed over time during evolution. One could claim carbs are bad and indeed the cause behind obesity since the availability has shot up in the last 50 years and indeed increasing the incidence of type 2 diabetes, if you believe its possible for one to give themselves it.
  • aaronlawrenc
    aaronlawrenc Posts: 666 Member
    Options
    I do it. It sucks.
  • drchimpanzee
    drchimpanzee Posts: 892 Member
    Options
    I did lower carb the last six months of last year to get from about 290 to 240. For me it worked great but I don't think it had anything to do with keto. In fact, while ketosis is real the amount of fat a person burns while on it is probably not nearly as much as people think. The main benefit of low carb is most likely appetite control. When you're eating mainly meat and veggies you can usually just flat out eat more and you tend to stay fuller. This helped me out a lot since I am one of those people that just seems to stay hungry. You still have to be smart about eating though. People seem to have this fantasy that they'll eat bacon wrapped hamburger patties, 20 oz steaks, etc. You're setting yourself up for failure long term if you do that. Lean meats and smart portions are essential.

There is also the side benefit of learning how to not live off boxes (at least not as much). While I imagine it'd be super tough not to buy anything processed I've seen a clear change in my shopping habbits. Boxed cereals, snacks, and frozen meals used to dominate my diet. Now even though I've added carbs back (some breads, beans, and brown rice mostly) my grocery cart is filled primarily with chicken, fish, eggs, and veggies.
  • aaronlawrenc
    Options
    because I love donuts and chocolate covered everything....i mean i used to...
  • aaronlawrenc
    Options
    i also loved eggs, bacon and cheese but now thats all i eat and it taste like....gray.
  • CoachReddy
    CoachReddy Posts: 3,949 Member
    Options
    It's a superior diet for many reasons. It's how we all got here; that is to say, as a matter of evolutionary biology, it saved our ancestors from every major blight and famine in human history.

The diet provides a huge metabolic advantage. Compared to other diets, you can maintain all of your essential body functions while eating 8,400 fewer calories each month -- a 2.5 lb. advantage every single month.

"[T]he reason why fat loss is so much easier for those on low carbohydate diets, especially a ketogenic diet (< 50 grams of carbs a day for most people), is because they have to eat 300 fewer calories each day, compared to everyone else trying to lose weight. Over just one week's time, that's 2,100 calories: a huge "metabolic advantage."

In that regard, the brain is unlike any other part of the body. It can only run off of two types of fuel: glucose or the ketone body beta-hydroxybutyyrate combined with a relatively small amount of glucose. Everyone's brain, regardless of his or her height and weight, uses roughly the same amount of calories.

When a person is eating less than 50 grams of carbohydrates a day, they produce sufficient amounts of the ketone body beta-hydroxybutyrate to fuel the majority of the brain's energy needs -- roughly 75%. By limiting carbohydrates and not spiking insulin all day long, ketogenic dieters are always in so-called "fat burning mode": hormone sensitive lipase is upregulated all the time, resulting in the constant breakdown and mobilization of triglycerides. As those triglycerides are broken down, the liver immediately grabs its share of the fatty acids and glycerol to fuel the brain. The liver does so by making beta-hydroxybutyrate out of the fatty acids and uses the glycerol to make glucose in a process called "gluconeogenesis."

People who simply cut calories never produce enough beta-hydroxybutyrate to sufficiently fuel their brains. As a result, they are invariably subject to hypoglycemia and have to eat carbohydrates every time their glycogen runs low. On a ketogenic diet, the brain is always taken care of endogenously through the process above. Consequently, ketogenic dieters never experience hypoglycemia and can effortlessly eat less and stick to their daily calorie goals while rarely even thinking about food. When the brain is fed, the overwhelming majority of the body's cells can function using fatty acids.

The ketogenic diet is the reason all of us are here posting in this thread. It's how our ancestors overcame every major blight and famine in human history. It's why I cringe when I hear those who never took high school biochemistry call it a 'fad'."

ETA: When people talk about the life-extension benefits of "calorie restriction," it's just a polite way of saying "carbohydrate restriction." Even then, however, most people don't really know what it works, but I'd bet a brick house against a bag of sugary donuts that it's because of the powerful attenuating effects of beta-hydroxybutyrate on oxidative stress.

This makes a fantastic amount of sense, however, let me ask you this. Our ancestors ate ketgenic diets - not out of choice, but out of necessity. They also, once given the opportunity, returned to eating more carbs when available. Essentially keto is our biochemical hibernation to help us survive the less plentiful winter. My argument continues to be the same. Those people returned to eating carbs when available, because keto is NOT optimal long term! It's great for short periods of time, but eventually unless you cycle off it, you risk some dangerous side effects including loss of muscle mass which will slow your metabolism and spiral downward from there. Other side effects have all already been mentioned so I won't rehash. But if you're using the evolutionary argument - which is a good one - then you also have to recognize that it isn't meant to be long term.
  • MichaelBrewer2634
    MichaelBrewer2634 Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    Tough on your liver, kidneys, and other organs; but it will make you lose fat. Better to cut out bread, and simple carbs. Focus on lean meats, green vegetables, and fruits. If it's natural its pretty good for you. Eat a lot food each day, and burn it off. It's really that simple. Get addicted to broccoli. :)
  • Matt_Wild
    Options
    This makes a fantastic amount of sense, however, let me ask you this. Our ancestors ate ketgenic diets - not out of choice, but out of necessity. They also, once given the opportunity, returned to eating more carbs when available. Essentially keto is our biochemical hibernation to help us survive the less plentiful winter. My argument continues to be the same. Those people returned to eating carbs when available, because keto is NOT optimal long term! It's great for short periods of time, but eventually unless you cycle off it, you risk some dangerous side effects including loss of muscle mass which will slow your metabolism and spiral downward from there. Other side effects have all already been mentioned so I won't rehash. But if you're using the evolutionary argument - which is a good one - then you also have to recognize that it isn't meant to be long term.

Are you claiming we've evolved since arable farming?

FWIW, I do not agree it is muscle harming. If it is, like any diet your calories are too low.
  • Matt_Wild
    Options
    Tough on your liver, kidneys, and other organs; but it will make you lose fat. Better to cut out bread, and simple carbs. Focus on lean meats, green vegetables, and fruits. If it's natural its pretty good for you. Eat a lot food each day, and burn it off. It's really that simple. Get addicted to broccoli. :)

Your lining to your liver, kidneys, digestive system turnover (eg replace themselves) about 60% a day.

What you are saying does not make sense.
  • Spartan_Maker
    Options
    It's a superior diet for many reasons. It's how we all got here; that is to say, as a matter of evolutionary biology, it saved our ancestors from every major blight and famine in human history.

ETA: When people talk about the life-extension benefits of "calorie restriction," it's just a polite way of saying "carbohydrate restriction." Even then, however, most people don't really know what it works, but I'd bet a brick house against a bag of sugary donuts that it's because of the powerful attenuating effects of beta-hydroxybutyrate on oxidative stress.

A person doesn't lose muscle mass on a properly constructed ketogenic diet. Fortunately, technology has provided us with an infinite number of ways to advance evolution, from a nutritional standpoint and otherwise; needless to say, we could literally list about a million things. I'll just list a few: table salt, potassium chloride, and magnesium citrate. Anyone on a ketogenic diet who supplements with those three minerals won't lose any more muscle mass than anyone else.

What's more, beta-hydroxybutyrate is undoubtedly one of the most powerful protein sparing substances in our body. My numbers are incomparable from 42% down to 13%. Currently, I incorporate carbs because I recognize the body is dynamic. Toward that end, contrary to the other myth about the problems of reintroducing carbs, a simple 14-day rolling correlation study shows my body responding favorably to carbs since going under 13% body fat. In fact, it's my body's most preferred macronutrient since I've gone under 10% body fat.

"Slowing metabolism" as a dangerous side effect is positively bizarre to me. The entire goal of life-extension is to get to your ideal body compositon and crash your metabolism. A high metabolism equals greater pathology. I should mention, however, that I haven't been fortunate enough to crash my metabolism: my TDEE is still 3,300, even after 14 months of a ketogenic diet.
  • Matt_Wild
    Options
    You won't crash a metabolism on keto unless like any diet, you push it on for too long on too few calories.
  • Spartan_Maker
    Options
    You won't crash a metabolism on keto unless like any diet, you push it on for too long on too few calories.

Exactly: unless someone is doing protein sparing modified fasts 4 or 5 times a week (or worse), it's a non-issue.
  • redheaddee
    redheaddee Posts: 2,005 Member
    Options
    Exercise, eat healthy. It is really just that simple. TDEE -20% and lift weights. Don't subscribe to gimicky diets, they may have short term loss but are not sustainable over a long term.