Meat & non-eat meaters (READ ME)

Options

Replies

• SPNLuver83
    SPNLuver83 Posts: 2,050 Member
    Options
    Burgers made with 96/4 beef is very low in fat and full of protein. Just sayin'.. mmmmm More meat please nom nom nom
  • wcasie
    wcasie Posts: 299 Member
    Options
    :drinker:
    I'm sure most all of you have heard of Morning Star foods.
    Why not substitute?
    On a night you're going to have burgers, why not have a vege burger? They are so delicious.
    Chicken nuggets, why not Morning Stars?
    So much less fat, no grease, all entirely healthy & delicious.

Yes, pricey. But who has burgers every night? Who has chicken nuggets every night? I know I don't. Though Morning Star is delicious.. & It does tempt me to make one. Yummy yummy substitution ;)

1) Because meat tastes better
    2) Meat is cheaper
    3) Because fresh tastes better
    4) Because there's no downside to meat

The implication in "why not substitute" is "this frozen meat-free product, made with about 35 ingredients, is inherently better in some undefined way than ground beef."

My question to you is:

Why substitute?
  • daffodilsoup
    daffodilsoup Posts: 1,972 Member
    Options
    Boca vegetarian burgers are also very delicious, and cheap.

never could understand why people buy food that looks like meat when they don't wanna eat meat

It's not that I don't like the way meat tastes - meat is delicious - but it's the dead animal/factory farming/speciesism thing that turns me off of it. Veggie burgers allow me to get the best of both worlds.
  • WendyBlendy
    WendyBlendy Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    Boca burgers are amazing! I ate them a lot when I had a limited "menu" due to medical issues.
  • akitagirl78
    akitagirl78 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    "How do you know when someone's a vegetarian? Don't worry they'll tell you."

LOL
  • doorki
    doorki Posts: 2,611 Member
    Options
    Boca vegetarian burgers are also very delicious, and cheap.

never could understand why people buy food that looks like meat when they don't wanna eat meat

/agree
  • GoldspursX3
    GoldspursX3 Posts: 516 Member
    Options

How do you know when someone's not a vegetarian? Don't worry, they'll respond to any and every forum post with, "bacon."

Did someone say bacon? Love me some dead pig!
  • That_Girl
    That_Girl Posts: 1,324 Member
    Options
    And you can smell it when they sweat. ;)
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    Why not substitute?
    On a night you're going to have burgers, why not have a vege burger? They are so delicious.

I don't mind substituting beef burgers with vegetable burgers sometimes (or salmon burgers, or turkey burgers, etc.). But I don't ever buy the overly processed Morning Star brands. It's simple and cheaper to make my own, and mine taste better.
  • Wade406
    Wade406 Posts: 272 Member
    Options
    All animal products have ZERO fiber. Instead all animal products have cholesterol. ALL.

Plants have fiber. They are the ONLY source for dietary fiber. And plants have ZERO cholesterol. No plant has any cholesterol in it.

Choose foods made from plants. In fact, make plants your food, and combine them yourself in delicious ways, instead of relying on a company to combine them into a food for you.
  • la_ro
    la_ro Posts: 5
    Options
    I'm not a fan of veggie burgers that are supposed to be "meaty." I'd rather just eat a grilled veggie sandwich or falafel pita or something. If I'm going to a cookout where veggies aren't available or appreciated, though, sometimes I'll bring a sunshine burger so I can still eat with the group. They're pretty good for a convenience food. They're just made of sunflower seeds, brown rice, veggies, and spices (and sometimes beans, depending on the flavor).
  • now_or_never13
    now_or_never13 Posts: 1,575 Member
    Options
    This is a joke right? Why would you eat soy-based franken-foods over real, ACTUAL food? Meat is food. Sorry of you feel differently. And "low-fat"? Fat, my friend, is YOUR friend.

Search "Why is soy bad for you".
    I realize you can search the same for "meat" and get lots of hits that meat is bad, but if you use COMMON SENSE, you would have to admit that animal-based food has obviously been here, for oh, millions and millsions of years and is obviously the way we've evolved to eat (along with those crops we can gather -- lots of yummy veggies, fruits, tubers, nuts, seeds.) Why does this continue to elude people? We've been here a LONG time, eating this way a LONG time. Maybe it's right?? Hmmm, go figure.

If you search you can also find a lot of studies and information stating that soy is not all that bad for you provided you are not consuming a very large quantity of it.

Meat is food yes, but some do not choose to consume it.

Everyone can eat however they would like... just don't preach that one way is better than the other. A meat eating diet can be good. A vegan diet can be good. A vegetarian diet can be good. They all can actually be bad as well. No diet is better or worse than the other.
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    Why not substitute?
    Chicken nuggets, why not Morning Stars?
    So much less fat, no grease, all entirely healthy & delicious.

Yes, pricey. But who has burgers every night? Who has chicken nuggets every night? I know I don't. Though Morning Star is delicious.. & It does tempt me to make one. Yummy yummy substitution ;)
    Are you getting a commission for this?

And if you are looking to sub, Quorn is far superior to any other fake meat I've tried. Morning Star isn't tyat good.
  • Iron_Pheonix
    Iron_Pheonix Posts: 191 Member
    Options
    All animal products have ZERO fiber. Instead all animal products have cholesterol. ALL.

Plants have fiber. They are the ONLY source for dietary fiber. And plants have ZERO cholesterol. No plant has any cholesterol in it.

Choose foods made from plants. In fact, make plants your food, and combine them yourself in delicious ways, instead of relying on a company to combine them into a food for you.

Dietary cholesterol has no correlation to cholesterol in the body. The body reduces its cholesterol output to balence the cholesterol you eat. There is no need to avoid dietary cholesterol. There is also no correlation between cholesterol and heart disease. Heart disease is caused by inflammation and small dense LDL (I.e. not the number the doctor gives you) inflammation and these dense particles are caused by high carbohydrate diets not by fat.

Watch this; http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dBnniua6-oM&sns=fb Around 30 mins in. Also look at www.thincs.org
  • msleanlegs
    msleanlegs Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    Dietary cholesterol has no correlation to cholesterol in the body. The body reduces its cholesterol output to balence the cholesterol you eat. There is no need to avoid dietary cholesterol. There is also no correlation between cholesterol and heart disease. Heart disease is caused by inflammation and small dense LDL (I.e. not the number the doctor gives you) inflammation and these dense particles are caused by high carbohydrate diets not by fat.

Watch this; http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dBnniua6-oM&sns=fb Around 30 mins in. Also look at www.thincs.org

I switched to a vegan diet (for ethical reasons) about 3 weeks ago and am curious what's going to happen to my cholesterol and blood sugar levels when I get them checked a couple of weeks. I know there's a lot floating around about high carb diets being bad, but honestly since I've gone vegan and upped my carb intake I've noticed some good changes so far - like the whites of my eyes are brighter and there's much less puffiness under my eyes.
  • evemarie1103
    Options
    Just my 2 cents. So, OK don't get me wrong. I LOVE meat, it was the basis of my "diet" for MANY MANY years. After sick of being fat and always nauseous (like everyday) I started watching documentaries about plant based diets.

I haven't had a stitch of meat for over a month - I eat as much plants (fruit and veggies) as possible. I exercise daily and have dropped over 10 lbs. I feel ALIVE and alert. Not grogged down. Do I miss the occasional burger? Yes! However, I'm in for the pleasure of knowing I will feel better NOT eating it then the 5 min pleasure of eating it and feeling like crap after. It's not for everyone, but I'm glad I switched. But when I am craving meat, I get a big eggplant and cut it, grill it like a burger and that satisfies me just fine!
  • wikitbikit
    wikitbikit Posts: 518 Member
    Options

It's ok to eat cholesterol, you know. You may not want to, and that's cool. Or maybe your doctor told you not to, and hey, always a good idea to listen to a doctor you trust, so that's cool. But aside from that, the fact that ALL animal products--ALL--that is A - L - L -- I mean, EVERY SINGLE ONE OF THEM--contain cholesterol is pretty irrelevant.

And I do mean ALL. Ehh-elle-elle. *A*L*L*.

edit: Just to clarify, I mean there are NO EXCEPTIONS.
  • Alisha_countrymama
    Alisha_countrymama Posts: 821 Member
    Options
    This is a joke right? Why would you eat soy-based franken-foods over real, ACTUAL food? Meat is food. Sorry of you feel differently. And "low-fat"? Fat, my friend, is YOUR friend.

Search "Why is soy bad for you".
    I realize you can search the same for "meat" and get lots of hits that meat is bad, but if you use COMMON SENSE, you would have to admit that animal-based food has obviously been here, for oh, millions and millsions of years and is obviously the way we've evolved to eat (along with those crops we can gather -- lots of yummy veggies, fruits, tubers, nuts, seeds.) Why does this continue to elude people? We've been here a LONG time, eating this way a LONG time. Maybe it's right?? Hmmm, go figure.

THIS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • Kaylaef
    Kaylaef Posts: 194 Member
    Options

How do you know when someone's not a vegetarian? Don't worry, they'll respond to any and every forum post with, "bacon."

Hahaha! This made me laugh. :) thanks for the giggle!
  • Confuzzled4ever
    Confuzzled4ever Posts: 2,860 Member
    Options

Did someone say bacon? Love me some dead pig!

BACON