MFP not helping or showing support, just being rude!

Options

Replies

• cedman1
    cedman1 Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    It doesn't matter if the questions has been asked 1 billion times being rude is un-called for and reflective of other issues that maybe were not dealt with while changing to a healthy lifestyle. I too have noticed rude responses and or just general dis-respect. Personally, I will not say it if I will say it to your face. I'm sure most mean well however things can and will get lost in the translation from mind to keyboard and back to mind. Hopefully as time goes along most are here to help.
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    And on the flip side , there are a load of stickied threads above for Newbies to read, so that they understand how MFP is designed to work.

And a search function.

I would recommend any new people to take the time to read those stickies, and also try searching first before asking a question, as many of the rude answers are because old timers are fed up of seeing the same questions repeated time and time again.

So if people do a bit of reasearch, they can find their answer without getting a "WTF not this question again!!", which could put them off asking next time they have a question.

To be honest with you when I was new and asked a question someone responded to me just like you did here. It made me feel bad and not very welcomed in the forum community.

Which part of my post made you feel bad ? I thought I was offerring helpful advice.

If anyone asks "where do I get started" I would always recommend they read all the stickies at the top as I think they are really helpful and informative.

I guess this is another example of tone not being transferred through text, and people taking offense where none is intended.

AM DUMBFOUNDED - BEYOND BELIEF

Ok, my turn to be dumbfounded! Which part made you feel bad and which part dumbfounded you?
  • UsedToBeHusky
    UsedToBeHusky Posts: 15,229 Member
    Options
    And on the flip side , there are a load of stickied threads above for Newbies to read, so that they understand how MFP is designed to work.

And a search function.

I would recommend any new people to take the time to read those stickies, and also try searching first before asking a question, as many of the rude answers are because old timers are fed up of seeing the same questions repeated time and time again.

So if people do a bit of reasearch, they can find their answer without getting a "WTF not this question again!!", which could put them off asking next time they have a question.

To be honest with you when I was new and asked a question someone responded to me just like you did here. It made me feel bad and not very welcomed in the forum community.

Which part of my post made you feel bad ? I thought I was offerring helpful advice.

If anyone asks "where do I get started" I would always recommend they read all the stickies at the top as I think they are really helpful and informative.

I guess this is another example of tone not being transferred through text, and people taking offense where none is intended.

AM DUMBFOUNDED - BEYOND BELIEF

Ok, my turn to be dumbfounded! Which part made you feel bad and which part dumbfounded you?

That whole conversation confused me. LOL!
  • ItsCasey
    ItsCasey Posts: 4,022 Member
    Options
    There are a lot of successful people here who have done the research and achieved great results themsevles. Someone else will ask a question about cleanses, shakes, pills, etc, and a successful person will bluntly tell them why it's bad. The problem is that people don't like to hear that they are wrong. So, they get upset about it and think they are being bullied.

This is exactly the problem. It's the Internet. Stop reading "rudeness" into every post that merely expresses a differing viewpoint. If you're new and have so far not done anything to piss anyone off, then don't assume that anyone here is out to get you. No one here knows that you're super sensitive and that simply telling you you're wrong is going to send you into hysterics.

I have never forgotten where I started. I was absolutely clueless when I first joined this site. But I was patient enough to read and to learn to TRY to improve myself every day. Somehow, trying to get long-time, successful members of this site banned for not really feeling the idea of of a group therapy session never occurred to me.
  • quirkytizzy
    quirkytizzy Posts: 4,052 Member
    Options

This is exactly the problem. It's the Internet. Stop reading "rudeness" into every post that merely expresses a differing viewpoint. If you're new and have so far not done anything to piss anyone off, then don't assume that anyone here is out to get you. No one here knows that you're super sensitive and that simply telling you you're wrong is going to send you into hysterics.

This. Very few of us are interested in chasing off new people. We don't comb through the Intro section gleefully looking for people we can bully. What we are interested in is your health, so sometimes, you're going to be told you're wrong. Dead wrong. Flat out wrong. Take the information given and do something positive with it.
  • PetulantOne
    PetulantOne Posts: 2,131 Member
    Options
    I think what has got my back up more is the fact that (from my own personal point of view) all this TDEE stuff is the ONLY single way to do it.

I have nicknamed it My Fitness Preachers LOL.

Every 'body' is different therefore weightloss is going to be different. I think a more friendly approach to the eat more would be "Have you tried this, maybe give it a go and see if it works for you" instead "EAT MORE EAT MORE EAT MORE!!!!!!"

If every body was different, why bother teaching anatomy and physiology? Why do schools teach human biology? If were all so different how do Doctors figure out how to treat us when were sick? We are not all special.
  • tgh1914
    tgh1914 Posts: 1,036 Member
    Options
    So for everyone who says you should use the search function more, are you claiming that you have not asked a question that also has not already been asked on here before? :huh:

You stick around long enough & you'll have seen every question under the sun on these boards, no matter how ridiculous.
  • Admiral_Derp
    Admiral_Derp Posts: 866 Member
    Options
    We are here to embrace the newbies, help them along, provide companionship, and conversation in ways that motivate people. People need positive INTERACTION often more than correct INFORMATION. It's like a good gym vibe versus a bad gym vibe. If it's gotten old for you, move on to another "gym" or group where newbies don't bother you. Let those with grace available answer nicely. The trolls need their own groups as much or not more than newbies. They are still finding their way. If they are in your way, you are the one who needs to find a more advanced group. If you are tired of "the same old" questions, don't read that thread, and certainly, don't answer to it.

This. I really can't tell you how great it felt that one time I lost my job and went to the unemployment office to see if they could help me find work, only to hear, "We don't have any correct information to give you, but good luck and have a nice day!" Completely made me forget my worries.
  • coke_bottle
    coke_bottle Posts: 259 Member
    Options
    You tell 'EM Honey!!:angry:
  • wikitbikit
    wikitbikit Posts: 518 Member
    Options
    I understand there are a lot of resources on this site and others, but I don't always have the time to do the research. It's often faster to pose the question and hope that someone will give me some good information. Everyone has different levels of knowledge and understanding and some need more help than others. Some may not understand how to do the research but do understand how to post a question. If someone thinks its a stupid question, they shouldn't post a response at all. Or they could have a little grace for the person who is making an effort to learn and reply with some helpful information. There is never, ever a good reason to be rude to someone.
    I know you would never word it this way, but what you've said can easily be read like this: Your time is too valuable to waste looking up information for yourself, so therefore it's ok to expect that when you post a question everyone who chooses to take time out of their day to respond to it--without being paid or, in many cases, even thanked--should gracefully, cheerfully, and never rudely (which is in the eye of the beholder) give you that information.

I'm not disagreeing that people should/could be a little more nice, but again: this is a free site. Information is being shared freely. It's going to come in all kinds of packages. If you (general you, of course) need to have it all packaged politely and cheerfully and on demand, you may want to look into hiring a nutritionist or personal trainer.
  • LiftAllThePizzas
    LiftAllThePizzas Posts: 17,857 Member
    Options
    I've found that the quality of answers is directly related to the quality of the question, whether the poster actually appears to have done any research of their own before asking, and how the poster reacts to answers that aren't in total agreement with them. There is an old adage that sums all this up but for some reason I can't remember it right now.
  • AQ3107
    AQ3107 Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    Could we all stop please?
    Perfection is having a mild heart attack here.
    Am gonna tell my mummy on you'all!
  • Hearts_2015
    Hearts_2015 Posts: 12,031 Member
    Options
    I am new to MFP. I'm not new to exercise or diets or calorie counting.

So please, from a new MFP member, please go easy on us. If we are posting something that is wrong, don't say we are stupid, don't call us names, just politely correct us so we can see the kind of success we are hoping for. Isn't that why we are all here?? To see success??
    :heart: Glad you're here, you'll meet some good ppl, I promise!:flowerforyou:
    agree. some people need to learn forum etiquette. just because we are online and not face to face gives you the right to treat other people with disrespect. You should treat others the way you would like to be treated in person or in the forums.
    Nicely put:drinker:
  • quirkytizzy
    Options
    People need positive INTERACTION often more than correct INFORMATION. I

This. I really can't tell you how great it felt that one time I lost my job and went to the unemployment office to see if they could help me find work, only to hear, "We don't have any correct information to give you, but good luck and have a nice day!" Completely made me forget my worries.

Holy crap, NO to the bolded part. No, no, no, NO.

I think the reply quoted settles it quite well.
  • Caitlinhappymeal
    Caitlinhappymeal Posts: 185 Member
    Options
    I tend ask my friends things on my profile as I know I will get a sensible answer, the forums are a joke, the say they have moderators but my only experience of this was removing one of my posts not because of its content but because or the profile picture which wasn't even me it was a face in hole job! If that's the extent of the moderating then there's no hope for the forums!!
  • IpuffyheartHeelsinthegym
    IpuffyheartHeelsinthegym Posts: 5,573 Member
    Options

And a search function.

the problem with using the search function is that if they respond to an old thread, people tend to lose it and ask why newbies are resurrecting old threads. Its really a lose lose for newbies in that regard.

Newbies, there are nice people out there who are more than willing to help. Hang in there.
  • Eyesee
    Eyesee Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    This is a personal favorite, and maybe a cautionary tale of why it might not be a good idea to help a new person:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/915530-so-confused
  • ThickMcRunFast
    ThickMcRunFast Posts: 22,511 Member
    Options
    If I'm being a complete idiot, my real friends tell me to stop being a complete idiot.
    That's not rude, that's love :)

we may not all have time to dress it up in flowers and hugs, but "don't do this [cleanse/dr. oz supplement/detox/HGC injection/cabbage f**king soup diet], it would be a waste of your time" is supportive, informative advice.
  • quirkytizzy
    Options
    This is a personal favorite, and maybe a cautionary tale of why it might not be a good idea to help a new person:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/915530-so-confused

I remember that thread. A perfect example of what constitutes "rude" for many people. Absolutely mind-boggling.

I have several threads in my own post history very similar to that.

Most recent one of a poster asking for validation, not advice, and being upset at being told their diet plan was at best useless and at worst dangerous. http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/916203-master-cleanse
  • ArroganceInStep
    ArroganceInStep Posts: 6,239 Member
    Options
    johnny-depp-cry-baby.jpg
This discussion has been closed.