Eating Pop Tarts and ice cream daily.

Options

Replies

• Spokez70
    Spokez70 Posts: 548 Member
    Options
    I "brag" about eating pizza once a week. Thick crust, and half the pie. Yesterday was bacon cheeseburger pizza, and dinner was 900 calories.

Do I say that to be mean? No! I say it because I used to be someone who didn't think I could eat pizza and pasta and all kinds of other yummies and still lose/maintain my weight.

I've since come to realize that I was very, very wrong when I thought being or getting healthy was painful or required deprivation.

If you can't fit in foods you enjoy, if you're miserable with what you're eating, you're doing it wrong. I'm not saying everyone should have 900 calories for dinner, but if I was a less active person who required less calories, two slices of pizza at 450 calories would have sufficed.

And forget pizza and ice cream and Pop Tarts. There's no reason under the sun that EVERYTHING you eat shouldn't be delicious. Plain grilled chicken is boring. Grilled chicken that's been sitting in marinade or topped with bbq sauce is fantastic, and not many calories more.

Truth
  • magerum
    magerum Posts: 12,589 Member
    Options
    What the posters of the " I lost weight and ate pop tarts and ice cream " don't tell you is they eat very healthy the rest of the time . Look at there diaries and its a tiny serving of the bad stuff . It's just not as cool to start a thread saying " I eat 95 percent heathy and a small serving of treats .

That depends on your definition of tiny serving. I am the OP and I eat a pint of ice cream a night. It is less than 20% of my total daily intake though.

but low-quality processed foods are over 50% your intake. the ice cream by itself would be fine, but throw in 500 cal of girl scout cooks, etc and that's the issue we're talking about.

not meant as a criticism or an attack, just that by picking out the ice cream you're ignoring the bigger picture.

All my markers indicate that i'm more than meeting my nutritional needs with my diet. I'm not afraid of science or processed foods. I don't think I'm ignoring the bigger picture. Albeit when I do reduce calories I do reduce them from my cookies, pop tarts, & ice cream first.
  • magerum
    Options
    What the posters of the " I lost weight and ate pop tarts and ice cream " don't tell you is they eat very healthy the rest of the time . Look at there diaries and its a tiny serving of the bad stuff . It's just not as cool to start a thread saying " I eat 95 percent heathy and a small serving of treats .

That depends on your definition of tiny serving. I am the OP and I eat a pint of ice cream a night. It is less than 20% of my total daily intake though.

but low-quality processed foods are over 50% your intake. the ice cream by itself would be fine, but throw in 500 cal of girl scout cooks, etc and that's the issue we're talking about.

not meant as a criticism or an attack, just that by picking out the ice cream your ignoring the bigger picture.

If I could eat like that and lose or maintain I'd think I'd died and gone to heaven. I'd be such a happy, skinny little piggy.

I do wonder about long-term insulin issues of a diet like this given some of the newer studies, though. But I wouldn't let it stop me.

I have to get out of this thread and stop thinking about ice cream or Ben and Jerry are going to be getting some of my money today. Have fun, all you lucky people who can eat this stuff and still lose weight. I hate you all. Know I mean that in the most loving way possible, though. :tongue:

Consumption of sucrose and high fructose corn syrup does not increase liver fat or ectopic fat deposition in muscles http://www.nrcresearchpress.com/doi/pdf/10.1139/apnm-2012-0322

Causes of type 2 diabetes
    Development of type 2 diabetes is usually multifactorial - that is, several factors combine to cause it. The most important of these is genetics. Children of people with type 2 diabetes have a one in three chance of developing the condition themselves.

In this type of diabetes, the receptors on cells in the body that normally respond to the action of insulin fail to be stimulated by it. This is known as insulin resistance.

In response to this, more insulin may be produced and this overproduction exhausts the insulin-manufacturing cells in the pancreas. There is simply insufficient insulin available and the insulin that is available may be abnormal and so doesn't work properly.

The following risk factors increase the chances of someone developing type 2 diabetes:

•Increasing age
    •Obesity
    •Physical inactivity
  • magerum
    Options
    In regards to HFCS (High Fructose Corn Syrup), its molecular makeup is essentially identical to sucrose (table sugar) - it is composed of glucose and fructose in nearly identical quantities as sucrose. Just as with sucrose, consumption in excess (creating a caloric surplus) can lead to weight gain - but there is nothing "dangerous" about HFCS, any more so than with glucose, fructose or sucrose. Context and dosage is relevant (but widely ignored by those with an axe to grind).
  • Xena32
    Xena32 Posts: 13
    Options
    Wow I am so amazed!!!

I try to lose weight for like 5 years and lose the same 20lbs over and over again. I cut out all the junk food, sweets etc. and then end up bingeing.

I keep reading you need to keep your blood sugar stable and stuff like that.

Maybe - I should just incorporate ALL foods I like and try to lose weight this way...

Thanks so much for this thread, I will read the first one now.

In all my past weight loss attempts, I've tried to eat "perfectly" and cut out all sweets, restaurants, chips, etc. After a few weeks, I'd end up having a massive binge on that stuff and completely fall off the wagon. One bad meal would become a bad day, a bad week, and a bad month. I'd gain back any losses plus another ten pounds. Ten years later and I went from having 40 pounds to lose to having almost 140.

This time, I'm working on incorporating reasonable portions of my favorite foods in with a generally healthy plan (I shoot for 80% healthy choices) and I'm working on tackling my mental and emotional issues with food. After three and a half months, I'm still binge-free and don't feel like what I'm doing is difficult. It's kind of amazing to realize that I CAN just have one portion of ice cream instead of eating the entire container.

Ultimately, with so much weight to lose, the most important part of my plan is that it has to be sustainable. I knew going in that it was probably going to be a two or three year process to lose all the weight, and I'm not going to avoid restaurants and desserts for years. I like to go out and I like to make desserts. So I'm learning to enjoy those things in moderation, balanced with other healthy choices.

And I get to eat pop tarts and ice cream when I want them.

This gives me hope! Especially since Ben & Jerry's is my favorite.
  • kyodi
    kyodi Posts: 376 Member
    Options
    I was unable to find the pumpkin pie or red velvet pop tarts last night in a four store search. I settled for chocolate chip cookie dough pop tarts. I have brought one with me to work to have as a post work out.

Its staring at me. I'm staring at it. After my 5/3/1 deadlift session... this SOB is going DOWN!!!
  • magerum
    Options
    I was unable to find the pumpkin pie or red velvet pop tarts last night in a four store search. I settled for chocolate chip cookie dough pop tarts. I have brought one with me to work to have as a post work out.

Its staring at me. I'm staring at it. After my 5/3/1 deadlift session... this SOB is going DOWN!!!

That is an excellent consolation choice! They're really freaking good as well (cookie dough). You shouldn't be disappointed.
  • baptiste565
    baptiste565 Posts: 590 Member
    Options
    i think the op and his minions r just arguing just to play devils advocate and keep the thread going. junk food is real. as adults we can play russian roulette with sugar intake. but how many people out there dont monitor there childrens sugar intake? no parent says, eat all the dorittos u want because we dont care about ur sodium levels, or eat all the snicker bars u want as long as it fits ur macros.
  • magerum
    Options
    i think the op and his minions r just arguing just to play devils advocate and keep the thread going. junk food is real. as adults we can play russian roulette with sugar intake. but how many people out there dont monitor there childrens sugar intake? no parent says, eat all the dorittos u want because we dont care about ur sodium levels, or eat all the snicker bars u want as long as it fits ur macros.

I don't remember this being about children.
  • ArroganceInStep
    ArroganceInStep Posts: 6,239 Member
    Options

Because the dietary needs of children are identical to those of adults amirite? I mean, whether I'm trying to lose 20 lbs and hang onto some muscle or I'm growing 2 feet in 3 years, it's all the same!
  • baptiste565
    Options

i love my kids health and want them to enjoy food. so would it not make sense to let them eat whatever they want as long as it fits there macros and maybe give them a gummi bear multi vitamin every morning. NOOOOO.... why.....because we will not play russian roulette with our kids lives. so why would i do it with mine or preach about?
  • BlueObsidian
    BlueObsidian Posts: 297 Member
    Options

Perhaps if you had read this thread, you would see that nearly all of us who enjoy things like ice cream, pop tarts, and Doritos do it in the context of an overall healthy diet. As I mentioned earlier, I shoot for about 80% healthy choices. I average about 2000 calories a day. If I've eaten 1600 calories that are made primarily of things like lean protein, fruits, veggies, olive oil, whole grains, and nuts, why shouldn't I have a Snickers bar or serving of Doritos at the end of the day? Exactly how does that treat override all the good things I've already put into my body?
  • magerum
    Options

i love my kids health and want them to enjoy food. so would it not make sense to let them eat whatever they want as long as it fits there macros and maybe give them a gummi bear multi vitamin every morning. NOOOOO.... why.....because we will not play russian roulette with our kids lives. so why would i do it with mine or preach about?

My markers last week were what most would consider perfect. I don't think I'm playing russian roulette with my life. I have a good understanding on the biological impact my food choices have on my body and use this knowledge to eat what I want. If you look at my diary, I eat plenty of what you would probably approve of.

Not that it matters, but I eat what you call my junk food after I put my son to sleep. Mostly because that's when I can actually sit and enjoy it, but whatever the reason he doesn't see me eat giant bowls of ice cream while using pop tarts as spoons.
  • magerum
    Options

I also take exception that you're implying I don't care for my child's health.
  • ArroganceInStep
    ArroganceInStep Posts: 6,239 Member
    Options

This presupposes that the dietary needs of children and adults are identical (they aren't).

It also presupposes that working a treat into your daily calories (like ice cream or pop tarts) is identical to telling a child with presumably less impulse control and dietary knowledge that they can eat as much cake as they want (it isn't).

Straw man arguments don't really make for a polite debate.
  • baptiste565
    Options

I also take exception that you're implying I don't care for my child's health.
    pls dont take exception. that was not my intention. let me speak about me. i ilke alcohol. im 42, and i can have 3 drinks after work, get down to 10% bf, bench press 350, and have super blood work. but i dont want my kids to drink often because i can do it and stay healthy. i would never brag to any adult about how i can do this and stay healthy. like i said yesterday its not responsible. to me eating pop tarts and ice cream everyday is a vice. u can get away with yours. alot of people cant. its nothing to brag about. but we are adults and allowed our vices. i sure as hell have mine.
  • Iron_Feline
    Iron_Feline Posts: 10,750 Member
    Options

This site is for over 18's, this thread is not about children.

Off topic post is off topic.

I could only get strawberry, apple or chocolate pop tarts at tesco AND they didn't have the really good ice cream :cry:

Why is life so unfair. :sad:
  • SRH7
    SRH7 Posts: 2,037 Member
    Options
    Wow I am so amazed!!!

I try to lose weight for like 5 years and lose the same 20lbs over and over again. I cut out all the junk food, sweets etc. and then end up bingeing.

I keep reading you need to keep your blood sugar stable and stuff like that.

Maybe - I should just incorporate ALL foods I like and try to lose weight this way...

Thanks so much for this thread, I will read the first one now.

In all my past weight loss attempts, I've tried to eat "perfectly" and cut out all sweets, restaurants, chips, etc. After a few weeks, I'd end up having a massive binge on that stuff and completely fall off the wagon. One bad meal would become a bad day, a bad week, and a bad month. I'd gain back any losses plus another ten pounds. Ten years later and I went from having 40 pounds to lose to having almost 140.

This time, I'm working on incorporating reasonable portions of my favorite foods in with a generally healthy plan (I shoot for 80% healthy choices) and I'm working on tackling my mental and emotional issues with food. After three and a half months, I'm still binge-free and don't feel like what I'm doing is difficult. It's kind of amazing to realize that I CAN just have one portion of ice cream instead of eating the entire container.

Ultimately, with so much weight to lose, the most important part of my plan is that it has to be sustainable. I knew going in that it was probably going to be a two or three year process to lose all the weight, and I'm not going to avoid restaurants and desserts for years. I like to go out and I like to make desserts. So I'm learning to enjoy those things in moderation, balanced with other healthy choices.

And I get to eat pop tarts and ice cream when I want them.

:flowerforyou: And this is what it is all about!
  • samantha1242
    samantha1242 Posts: 816 Member
    Options
    Ew, pop tarts.
  • SRH7
    SRH7 Posts: 2,037 Member
    Options
    I could only get strawberry, apple or chocolate pop tarts at tesco AND they didn't have the really good ice cream :cry:

Why is life so unfair. :sad:

There, there. Soothe yourself with some Dairy Milk (assuming you've saved space in your daily calories, which I know you will have!). I've got some Thorntons chocs for later - saving them for post-dinner with a nice cup of tea.