Why you should shop at thrift stores if you don't already

Options

Replies

• Niivsmom
    Niivsmom Posts: 145
    Options
    I donate to thrift shops frequently, but I can't bring myself to shop there. I don't want "pre worn" clothes. Ya just never know where they've been.

YOU DON'T KNOW WHERE NEW CLOTHES HAVE BEEN EITHER. eVER HEARD OF PEOPLE WEARING THE CLOTHES AND BRINGING THEM BACK TO THE STORE? IT HAPPENS MORE OFTEN THEN NOT. THAT'S WHY YOU SHOULD WASH YOUR CLOTHES BEFORE YOU WEAR THEM.

aaaaand.... I always wonder how many people go "commando" and try stuff on... :noway:

I always wash stuff I buy - new or used!:bigsmile:
  • jessicae1aine
    Options
    No, I'm not poor.

Well it must be nice to be you! It also must be nice to be unconcerned with reusing instead of creating waste and supporting sweatshop labor! :)

Pretty much. And really, who gives a damn about what brand your jeans are - if they fit and look good, that's sufficient. People should like you for you, not what you're wearing.
  • SquidandWhale
    Options
    I love saving money, so I totally go Good Will and cling to clearance sales like a barnacle on a boat. Clothing is stupid expensive whist in transition, and I really can't justify spending money on clothing that I won't be able to wear in a couple of months.

I buy all my nephew's clothing (he's currently six months) at a consignment shop called Once Upon A Child, or if it's on clearance. That little thundercloud grows too quickly for $30+ baby clothes.

At the end of the day, if you're happy with what you've bought and the amount you paid for it than that's all that matters.
  • InnerConflict
    InnerConflict Posts: 1,592 Member
    Options
    *hypocritcal p.s.
    Underwear and panties
    No, just no if you can avoid it. I bet even Mama Earth would agree. :flowerforyou:

Yes, please do not buy the thift store panties. They are my best seller on eBay! :tongue:
  • figureformin
    figureformin Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    Nothing lasts forever. You could either spend a fortune trying to keep up with this era, or hit a thrift store and visit whichever era you choose. It's only fabric. Yes, I thrift.
  • darkguardian419
    darkguardian419 Posts: 1,302 Member
    Options
    I donate a lot of my old stuff to the Disabled American Veterans association... but I buy most of my clothes from Ross. I have no problems buying a Perry Ellis shirt for $10. The great thing is, with my size/shape, I buy the 2XL shirts (which no one buys apparently) and just have the waist tailored down, that way the shoulders fit nicely, and after the tailoring, the waist fits too.
  • kennethmgreen
    kennethmgreen Posts: 1,759 Member
    Options
    No, I'm not poor.

Way to be an off-topic *kitten*. Right on, rich bro!
    Way to create a fake account just to say something confrontational. Right on, brave bro!
  • wow29
    wow29 Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQ5euiH6OImV1yJcWXBZ2mhapjKWBjv2_NIZzWvSLx9bACwSNXi2w

:noway: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
  • sgmomma
    sgmomma Posts: 299 Member
    Options
    I'm always perplexed when people wrinkle their nose at wearing clothing that someone else's rear-end has inhabited yet will go in a restaraunt and drink and eat from utensils and dishes that have been slurped, spit on and *inside* of umpteen thousand people's mouth. :drinker: Yes, there are dishwashers and there are dish washers. Trust 'em implicitly with the super magic portal that is your mouth?

Haha, I never thought about it that way before! I guess I trust clothes-washers and dishwashers equally then! But I agree, it's zany that people get all germophobic about wearing someone else's clothes, but then they don't wash their hands after using a public bathroom!!!

<3 it!
  • amyhoss
    amyhoss Posts: 414 Member
    Options
    I would shop at Goodwill more if they would seperate clothes by size. It is a mess in all the ones in my area. I honestly don't have the time to look at every piece of clothing to find something in my size. If it was easier to shop there, i'd be there ALL OF THE TIME!

My thoughts exactly. It is soooooo time consuming and irritating.
  • DefluffinMyStuffin
    DefluffinMyStuffin Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    :wink: Exactly. Not washing your hands. Yuck, gross, and ew. Leprechauns should be required to pee in your shoes daily if you're guilty of this.
    *That* kinda biz oogs me out. I'll wear your old pants. Whew :laugh: But, please for all that is holy don't put your butt scratchin', nose pickin', naughty bit rearranging paws on my stuff. :noway:

*edited because my quote referencing the no hand washing bit. Dunno where it went or how to add it. :ohwell:
  • dym123
    dym123 Posts: 1,670 Member
    Options
    Be careful with what you buy at the Goodwill, according to Pat Robertson, their stuff is possessed.

http://thedailysteak.com/content/goodwill-clothing-possessed-demonswtf

Silliness aside, most of my wardrobe is from thrift stores, I have shrunk out of all my fat clothes and I don't want to buy anything (except my intimates of course) new until I hit my goal.
  • binknbaby
    binknbaby Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    We have a high end thrift store here called Buffalo Exchange. I always find amazing things there. Sadly, they have all been for my daughter so I cannot wait to get down in size so I can find my own "vintage" treasures. I did find some sweet lightly used Converse Chuck Taylors with a pattern I had never seen on them for $9.00. So I was able to go for a manicure after because I'm not poor either (since a douche must advertise their financial state when it has nothing to do with it)

Are you in San Diego?? Buffalo Exchange is ah-mazing!!! Unfortunately I'm not in SD anymore, but we do have some awesome consignment shops around here...
  • wow29
    wow29 Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    No, I'm not poor.
    We're not rich but we're comfortable. We got that way by not spending more than necessary.
    :drinker:
  • Ramberta
    Ramberta Posts: 1,312 Member
    Options
    *hypocritcal p.s.
    Underwear and panties
    No, just no if you can avoid it. I bet even Mama Earth would agree. :flowerforyou:

Yes, please do not buy the thift store panties. They are my best seller on eBay! :tongue:

Ahaha that made me snort, I think that's the best comment so far. Just the other day, I was REALLY bored and browsing the "strictly platonic" Craigslist page, and someone wanted to buy used undies from ladies! I was a bit scandalized just reading it lol!
  • CakeFit21
    CakeFit21 Posts: 2,521 Member
    Options
    No, I'm not poor.

Way to be an off-topic *kitten*. Right on, rich bro!
    You seem mad. :laugh:

I thought it was funny :laugh:

People so serious.
  • Sleepynita
    Options
    Our goodwill is amazing, but our Value Village sucks and overprices everything just because they feel it is a "brand" name. My best finds are:

Elizabeth and James Pants (about 8 weeks after they were on the runway) $6.95
    Hudson jeans $6
    Citizen of Humanity Jeans $6
    Joes Jeans $6
    Bob Mackie Skirt (couture not mass market) $4
    North face puffy vest for the husband $8
    Theory Suit, both pieces with brand new tags on it $14
    Stella McCartney Booties $14 (best score ever)

Now that I have lost a ton of weight I am finding more and more awesome items in the smaller sizes. It just keeps getting better.

And NOPE. Not poor, not even close. Just smart.
  • Spiritwarrior3000
    Spiritwarrior3000 Posts: 322 Member
    Options
    I would buy books and stuff, but never clothes and none of my friends would either :noway: :noway:
  • KrissyKris10
    KrissyKris10 Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    I've actually found brand new workout gear (tags still on) at a goodwill. So much better than paying $70+ for a pair of compression running capris.
    Honestly, i just wish that i could find more stuff. I think the good stuff probably gets snapped up real quick. I'm probably at a size that most people wear too. most everything is either way to big/small.
  • kabel4892
    kabel4892 Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    I love shopping at thrift stores. I found an awesome Brewer's hoodie for 6 dollars, and i've even found things with the price tag still on them. I also love finding jeans there. They are already broken in a super comfy. And i find a lot of books and nic nacs there too. Sure, i still buy new stuff, but if i can save a few dollars on something from Goodwill, who will know the difference besides my bank account?