Why you should shop at thrift stores if you don't already

Options

Replies

• LoggingForLife
    LoggingForLife Posts: 504 Member
    Options
    I LOVE BRAND NEW CLOTHES, I Love brands aswell. I would never ever wear second hand clothes though. I mean if you aint got much money then go for it, but i just cant do that to myself . However im lucky to have a mother to supply my GREEDY, IGNORANT NATURE. However I donate money each month to charity :drinker:

So, you live with your mother? Of course you have money to blow.
  • Sleepynita
    Options
    Let's see....
    12-month emergency fund completely funded: Check.
    Credit cards paid off: Check.
    Cars paid off: Check.
    Monthly mortgage less than cost of renting: Check.
    Has more than enough disposable income to shop at Nordys: Check.

Shops at thrift stores 80-90% of the time: CHECK!

Our friends ask us all the time when we whip out a coupon at a restaurant, shop at thrift stores, buy 2nd hand or used goods, "why do you guys do that? You can afford to buy it new / pay full price!" The REASON we CAN AFFORD to do it is just that! We are very thrifty and we enjoy watching our retirement accounts grow, taking nice vacations, and knowing we have the money to do what we want to do when we want to do it.

Thrift Stores ROCK!! :bigsmile:

^ Hottest man on MFP right here. ^

This is our viewpoint too!
  • redheaddee
    redheaddee Posts: 2,005 Member
    Options
    Let's see....

Our friends ask us all the time when we whip out a coupon at a restaurant, shop at thrift stores, buy 2nd hand or used goods, "why do you guys do that? You can afford to buy it new / pay full price!" The REASON we CAN AFFORD to do it is just that! We are very thrifty and we enjoy watching our retirement accounts grow, taking nice vacations, and knowing we have the money to do what we want to do when we want to do it.

Well said!!!! :flowerforyou:
  • ingeh
    ingeh Posts: 513 Member
    Options
    Im in the Uk and love our Charity Shops, they are stored that give money to their named charities, so Mind is for mental health support, Age uk for elderly support. I mainly go to those two as I can find really good quality items and usually brand new with tags still on. also they keep having £1.50 an item sales which when you find a pair of jeans with a £25 tag on for £1.50 Im not saying no to that!
  • CarlaChalk78
    Options
    I only ever buy my clothes from the thrift store or the sales ... I would rather spent my money on other things... and I love a bargain!!
  • skylark94
    skylark94 Posts: 2,036 Member
    Options
    I donate to thrift shops frequently, but I can't bring myself to shop there. I don't want "pre worn" clothes. Ya just never know where they've been.

Yeah your right.....Who would want to wear the clothes of some pretentious snob.

I'm not pretentious at all. My entire wardrobe came from either Old Navy or Target. I'm just a bit of a germaphobe. Yes, I wash my brand new clothes before wearing them too.

I do love my local thrift for housewares and books for my kids.
  • suelegal
    suelegal Posts: 1,282 Member
    Options
    If you are shopping Goodwill because of the pricing then that's fine, but if you are shopping Goodwill becausae you think you are supporting handicapped people then you're wrong. CEO Hrabe takes the bulk of the $ and doen'st even pay minimum wage to many of his workers.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/john-hrabe/the-worst-corporation-in-_b_1876905.html

http://watchdog.org/56129/fl-florida-goodwill-six-figures-for-ceos-less-than-minimum-wage-for-some-employees/
  • jakedner
    jakedner Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    I LOVE thrift and consignment store shopping!

I used to HAVE to shop in these stores due to limited finances, but now that I can afford to shop anywhere I want, I still do the gently used option! I have had some amazing finds too! New with tags, brand name items, amazing vintage pieces and inexpesive wardrobe staples while I am dropping weight.

On top of that, it's a great way to reuse and recycle items. With four kids, it was great to be able to donate items they had grown out of and pick up some new pieces to restock their wardrobes for a low price. We used to drop off donations on a nearly monthly basis.

Rarely do I ever spend full retail price on any clothing items.
  • jakedner
    jakedner Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    Let's see....

Well said!!!! :flowerforyou:

Well done! We are cut from the same cloth!
  • RogueNanna
    RogueNanna Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    If you are shopping Goodwill because of the pricing then that's fine, but if you are shopping Goodwill becausae you think you are supporting handicapped people then you're wrong. CEO Hrabe takes the bulk of the $ and doen'st even pay minimum wage to many of his workers.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/john-hrabe/the-worst-corporation-in-_b_1876905.html

http://watchdog.org/56129/fl-florida-goodwill-six-figures-for-ceos-less-than-minimum-wage-for-some-employees/

This is a sad fact. I tried to get a job at a local goodwill store and they didn't have any openings because they are largely staffed by volunteers! WHAT? Yet they advertise that the organization's mission is to employ displaced homemakers and other workers who are difficult to place in the workforce.

It won't keep me from shopping there though, in fact, this almost ensures that I will keep shopping there, if I can afford to shop at all.
  • kabel4892
    kabel4892 Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    I love shopping at thrift stores. I found an awesome Brewer's hoodie for 6 dollars, and i've even found things with the price tag still on them. I also love finding jeans there. They are already broken in a super comfy. And i find a lot of books and nic nacs there too. Sure, i still buy new stuff, but if i can save a few dollars on something from Goodwill, who will know the difference besides my bank account?

I had to respond when I saw the Brewers:) I grew up in Cudahy but I am much older than you. LOL My friend found an awesome vintage 1982 Brewers shirt at Value Village on Layton that countless people have offered to buy from her (one guy offered her $175!!) Crazy huh?? She was tempted but couldn't part with it.

I go to Value Village a lot too! You can find some really good stuff there for cheap and normally it would be super expensive in the stores. Glad I found another Wisconsinite! lol
  • figureformin
    figureformin Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    :huh: That wasn't the question.... Money sure doesn't buy everything:huh:
  • RoadsterGirlie
    RoadsterGirlie Posts: 1,195 Member
    Options
    I am a very huge gay right supporter, and I fully endorse equal marriage. The Salvation Army does not support it - however they are also a client of my organization and have had the opportunity to work with them closely in a business setting.

The things they do are not limited to just selling used clothes.

While they do endorse things I don't agree with, they do tremendous good for people who otherwise wouldn't have a chance to succeed in life.
  • soldier4242
    soldier4242 Posts: 1,368 Member
    Options

I worked at Salvation Army for a year. They have nothing against gays.

When accused of discrimination in hiring, they said that they don't discriminate in the majority of their jobs.

They refuse to offer same sex partner benefits. They threatened to leave NYC when an ordinance was passed requiring benefits. Bloomberg just chose not to prosecute them.

They actively oppose marriage equality.

There is a difference between being against gays and opposing changing an institution that has existed longer than civilization. I have nothing against gays, no religious opposition, no bias, not even a little dislike, but I do not feel we need a rewrite. Protections exist under civil laws so the attempt to enforce marriage laws seems more like an attempt to infringe on other peoples religious rights just because they don't agree with you. :flowerforyou:

Marriage has not existed longer than civilization: That is such an incorrect statement I am actually lost as to what you actually meant. If you did actually mean to say that then I am not sure anyone can help you because that is just ridiculous.

You don't have any religious opposition, no bias and not even a dislike but you don't see a need for a rewrite: Well I am not sure how to break this too you but marriage has changed over the years many times. In fact at one point in history marriage was largely used as a way of sealing treaties. The church was actually late to the game as far as marriage is concerned and when the church got involved that was a redefinition of marriage.

Not one person has ever petitioned to force a church to marry two gay people together. Nobody has ever asked for that. The gays simply want to get marriages from justices of the peace and churches that do willingly accept them. So there is no infringement upon anyone's religious freedoms caused by letting them choose who they want to marry.

Since you do not have any bias and you are not against gay marriage for any religious reasons and your opposition is not based on bigotry and I have now destroyed all of your arguments with pure logic. Are you now saying you are not longer in opposition to gay marriage?
  • pastryari
    pastryari Posts: 8,646 Member
    Options

I worked at Salvation Army for a year. They have nothing against gays.

When accused of discrimination in hiring, they said that they don't discriminate in the majority of their jobs.

They refuse to offer same sex partner benefits. They threatened to leave NYC when an ordinance was passed requiring benefits. Bloomberg just chose not to prosecute them.

They actively oppose marriage equality.

I have nothing against gays, no religious opposition, no bias, not even a little dislike, but I do not feel we need a rewrite. Protections exist under civil laws so the attempt to enforce marriage laws seems more like an attempt to infringe on other peoples religious rights just because they don't agree with you. :flowerforyou:

Of course you don't care. It doesn't affect you, does it? So why should you care about wanting equality for everyone when you already have what you want? That's akin to thinking oh starving children? Not my problem, I have food.

Also, why do you think that other people's religious rights are more important than gay rights? Who gets to decide which rights are more important?
  • sixout
    sixout Posts: 3,129 Member
    Options
    What's going on here? i want to argue.
  • ericmessier
    ericmessier Posts: 235 Member
    Options
    What's going on here? i want to argue.
    See the first post.
  • InnerConflict
    InnerConflict Posts: 1,592 Member
    Options
    What is YOUR best thrift store snag?

My best snag was a collectible that I bought for $.99 that I sold on eBay for over $150.
  • TheCaren
    TheCaren Posts: 894 Member
    Options
    I shop on eBay a lot. Just got a brand new, tags still on it Evan Picone skirt suit for work for $20 including shipping. I'm talking a $280 suit.

Oh and I just got a $2000 elliptical machine for $134.
  • clarkeje1
    clarkeje1 Posts: 1,636 Member
    Options
    Just recently got 2 amazing purses at the Goodwill by my house, one was $2, one was $3. :) Haven't bought clothes from there yet but I might since I had a good experience last time.