things that make you laugh at the gym...

Options
icimani
icimani Posts: 1,454 Member
This just made me laugh...

I belong to a gym that's attached to a rehab hospital, so the clientele is aging and often recovering from something.

Yesterday I was on a stationary bike and I do my own version of interval training so I watch the time. A sr citizen gets on the bike and he's only on for about 2 1/2 minutes when his wife comes up and asks how he's doing. Great, he says, I've been on for almost 10 minutes and I'm almost done. He finishes out for a total of 3 minutes and comments to his wife that he must be getting healthier because he's not even sweating! She puts on her fake fur coat and out the door they go.

Replies

• jonnythan
    jonnythan Posts: 10,161 Member
    Options
    The skinny kid who walks in wearing jeans and a coat, immediately picks up a couple of 10 or 15 lb dumbbells and does a variety of raises with little to no exertion, then does some pushups, then walks out.
  • bdburch
    bdburch Posts: 127
    Options
    There's this little old lady that comes to all the toning and ab classes at my gym. She must be in her 60s but she is always getting it. She could probably kick my *kitten*. She is always so enthuastic and always smiling. When I stand behind her in class, I can see her face in the mirror and I have to fight from laughing everytime. It's gotten so that I look forward to seeing her in class because she always makes everyone around her so happy and makes us all try harder.
  • jakidb
    jakidb Posts: 1,010 Member
    Options
    the funniest I've sn was a guy working out on the treadmill. what I found so amusing is that it was if he was giving EVERYONE a show--this man did some turns that appeared to be "dance moves" for several minutes. It cracked me up--all I cld do was laugh. I guess he just felt "good" LOL
  • CallMeWifey
    CallMeWifey Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    The girls who show up in their velour track suits or their super short/tight shorts with their makeup all done and their hair down/teased. I'm just like really?? You look so ridiculous!! I can't help but laugh. Actually, not too long back, there was a girl wearing a short/tight leopard print skirt on the eliptical!! Can we say desperate?!
  • toxikon
    toxikon Posts: 2,384 Member
    Options
    There's this girl at the gym who is AMAZING. She is totally my role model. She wears really weird clothes, has a rainbow cord on her headphones, her hair looks awesome and her makeup too... and she exudes so much self-confidence that I can't help but admire her. Not to mention her killer body.

Whenever I see her in the gym I can't help but watch, and DAMN she really does not give a crap about anyone watching her. Some of her exercises look really funny.

She does this thing on the treadmill... where she goes into really deep lunges as the treadmill is going slowly. It looks funny as hell, but does she ever rock it!
  • havingitall
    havingitall Posts: 3,728 Member
    Options
    My favourite trainer at my gym is a 61 year old woman. She has an amazing body and has the energy of a 20 year old. We have worked out togther a few times and she is one of the best trainers I have worked with.

She teached two classes at the gym, a cardio/circuit class and a strength class. I see guys come into her class and look at her. You can see that they are thinking" This will be easy". Some of them don't even survive her warmup let alone the whole class. I have seen young people go and sit down during her class and people have to leave becuase they can't keep up.

Watch out.... that Grandma totally kicks butt!
  • ElizMurphy69
    ElizMurphy69 Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    I love the men that workout at a ridiculous rate when they know you are watching them :-)
  • DrBroPHD
    DrBroPHD Posts: 245 Member
    Options
    When bros squat in the curl rack
  • Cr01502
    Cr01502 Posts: 3,614 Member
    Options
    The girls who show up in their velour track suits or their super short/tight shorts with their makeup all done and their hair down/teased. I'm just like really?? You look so ridiculous!! I can't help but laugh. Actually, not too long back, there was a girl wearing a short/tight leopard print skirt on the eliptical!! Can we say desperate?!

I think those girls look hot.

Hearing women complain about other women at the gym amuses me.

Never once have I heard a guy give two poops about what another guy is wearing at the gym.

I think it's you with the insecurities.

:flowerforyou:
  • profesorakate
    profesorakate Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    Girls who come in with a full face of make up, and very little clothing, and do very little exercise. Gets me every time.

A guy at my gym does everything backwards (stairmaster, elliptical, treadmill) and I'm not talking normal backwards to work all muscle groups, I mean totally wacky movements that make no sense whatsoever, Plus he combines it with some weird dancing. Hilarious. Then when he moves onto weights he climbs all round the bars/machines like a monkey.
  • 1ConcreteGirl
    1ConcreteGirl Posts: 3,677 Member
    Options

Don't hate on leopard print. One day you will be a grandma, too.
  • LeenaRuns
    LeenaRuns Posts: 1,309 Member
    Options
    When bros squat in the curl rack

Or chicks--I definitely get my squat on there.
  • donnamariewilliams
    Options
    At Zumba Class a lady in the back had on a sweater, dress pants and dress shoes and was trying to do Zumba! Needless to say, she did not last long. Oh yeah, her boyfriend or husband in jeans was trying it too. He lasted all of 10 minutes.
  • jenniferrusso7393
    jenniferrusso7393 Posts: 189 Member
    Options
    Hmmm... why buy expensive workout clothes (like velour) when you are going to sweat in them and then they will forever stink and be thrown away in a year-- waste of money...
  • Lift_This_
    Lift_This_ Posts: 2,756 Member
    Options
    The skinny kid who walks in wearing jeans and a coat, immediately picks up a couple of 10 or 15 lb dumbbells and does a variety of raises with little to no exertion, then does some pushups, then walks out.

you know that kid? he goes to my gym too.
  • _noob_
    _noob_ Posts: 3,306 Member
    Options
    I laugh at my gym's trainers who seem to think that resting during strength training workout is bad...

They tend to fit as many isolation/machine exercises into their client's 30 mins as they can.
  • lhgalant
    lhgalant Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    i really don't like to judge anyone for what the wear or what they do in my gym, i try to think positive & be proud of everyone for showing up. there is a gentlement at my gym that has had both legs amputated from the knees down. he has prosthetic legs, but he is also in a wheel chair. this man is a true inspiration to me b/c he gets himself out of that wheelchair & on to every piece of weight lifting machinery in the gym & he hits it hard! one day he was stretching over in the corner where most people do their ab workouts. i walked over to grab a mat and there....sitting right next to the mats, were his prosthetic legs. complete with the pants he was wearing resting nicely around the ankles. he had gotten out of his wheelchair & even out of his legs to get on the floor & do some stretching. it just made me chuckle a little to see these 2 random legs standing there with no body attached to them & the pants down around the ankles. =)
  • FranksRumHam
    FranksRumHam Posts: 198 Member
    Options
    every time i fart in the leg press on heavy days.
  • itgeekwoman
    itgeekwoman Posts: 804 Member
    Options
    There's one lady at the gym that thinks bras are optional and her hair is never out of place!
    Another guy that gets on the treadmill and he does his little stretching routine. I die laughing every time I see it. He only runs for like 10 minutes then then goes to lift weights. Very funny watching him stretch for the weight lifting also.

I love to watch people at the gym, mostly to see who's waiting to be watched! Very fun. Plus I do silly stuff on the elliptical when I'm working out just for fun.
  • biscuitwelsh
    biscuitwelsh Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    Seeing this dainty little female doing crunches on an exercise ball and letting out a fart that sounded like a watermelon being dropped on concrete from a 2 story window.