Convince me Pop Tarts & ice cream are bad.

Options

Replies

• mmapags
    mmapags Posts: 8,934 Member
    Options
    Ice Cream and Pop Tarts are bad because they have too much sugar in them. Many Americans consume inadequate protein and too much sugar. While you may not have a problem with them now. You need to understand that the majority of the population still has issues with optimal protein, fruit and vegetable consumption. Also stress causes many people to binge and a box of Pop Tarts does more damage than a bowl of berries to caloric deficits so having them around is dangerous for many dieters.

Of course if you stay the course of your eating plan binges are actually healthy, but you are correct in hating the "health" food movement. It's absurd.

You didn't really read the rest of the thread did you?
  • lsiberian
    lsiberian Posts: 69
    Options
    You didn't really read the rest of the thread did you?

It's too long.
  • taunto
    taunto Posts: 6,420 Member
    Options
    Pop tarts alone are fine.

Ice cream alone is fine.

Combined they are trouble.

This story took place ages ago when I was in college visiting home. It was a nice Saturday morning and the family was having a nice normal breakfast. Me being stuck in the college mentality decided to have ice cream and pop tarts. My mother had an off hand comment about it but she didn't object, she just recommended that I at least heat the Pop Tarts and not eat them cold like a stoned hippy. So I started enjoying my ice cream bowl while I waited for the Tarts. Down the stairs came running trouble in the shape of my younger brother. My mother motioned him to his plate filled with eggs, beef hash and French toast, but it was too late cause like a hawk locked onto his prey so were my brother's eyes on my ice cream bowl.

A faded smile gave him and his intentions away, granted he was slick to say he needed ketchup from the fridge to justify walking towards my end of the table. But I knew that he hates ketchup!

The confirming act of the incoming attack was him grabbing my sister's spoon. And it began with a direct attack towards the center of my bowl of ice cream but I was ready fready! I slapped it away as a second and third attempt were made but none were fruitful into getting him a taste of my ice cream. At this point it's a full on wrestling match over the ice cream, but my brother wouldn't give up even as I DeSpooned him and he had no way of getting the delicious ice cream. So, like every desperate man he wanted a taste for all the effort he put in, and like a savage he reached with his fingers into the bowl.

I called on to the U.N or mother to deal with such savage unconventional attack, a quick "leave the hippy alone" directed at my brother stopped the ice cream bowl attacks. But like any soar loser he was not happy with the outcome, fate seemed to change cause at that very moment he contemplating what to do, if to accept defeat or retaliate somehow, the Pop Tarts popped out.

To him that was a for sure win as he was closer to the toaster and I had no way of stopping him before he would take a bite or two. So I immediately resorted to a combination of diplomacy, empty threats of violence, and even asking the UN for help. None of it mattered cause he had the determination in his eyes, so all I could do is watch as my Pop Tarts fell into enemy hands.

With his ice cream covered hand he reached for the Pop Tarts. What happened next is what convinced me Pop Tarts & ice cream are a bad combo. My brother screeched as he went flying from the counter and landing next to me. I was very confused as what had happened but I figured out as I saw the black burn marks on his fingers from the electric shock.

I don't know if this convinces you or anyone else about Pop Tarts & ice cream being bad, but my brother still doesn't eat pop tarts today.

Oh this is just epic!!!
  • Sweets1954
    Sweets1954 Posts: 506 Member
    Options
    I want to preface this as my personal opinion and nothing scientific about it. I believe there is no such thing as "bad" food. Denying yourself something you like just creates a craving for that food and creates guilt when you eat it. If you have no health issues to be concerned about and are not gaining weight then I wouldn't worry about what other people tell you. There are too many "food police" out there who are more than willing to tell you what to eat, drink, and do. Pop Tarts and ice cream may not be the most healthy choices you can make but they are your choices.
  • ZoeLifts
    ZoeLifts Posts: 10,347 Member
    Options
    Pop tarts alone are fine.

Ice cream alone is fine.

Combined they are trouble.

This story took place ages ago when I was in college visiting home. It was a nice Saturday morning and the family was having a nice normal breakfast. Me being stuck in the college mentality decided to have ice cream and pop tarts. My mother had an off hand comment about it but she didn't object, she just recommended that I at least heat the Pop Tarts and not eat them cold like a stoned hippy. So I started enjoying my ice cream bowl while I waited for the Tarts. Down the stairs came running trouble in the shape of my younger brother. My mother motioned him to his plate filled with eggs, beef hash and French toast, but it was too late cause like a hawk locked onto his prey so were my brother's eyes on my ice cream bowl.

A faded smile gave him and his intentions away, granted he was slick to say he needed ketchup from the fridge to justify walking towards my end of the table. But I knew that he hates ketchup!

The confirming act of the incoming attack was him grabbing my sister's spoon. And it began with a direct attack towards the center of my bowl of ice cream but I was ready fready! I slapped it away as a second and third attempt were made but none were fruitful into getting him a taste of my ice cream. At this point it's a full on wrestling match over the ice cream, but my brother wouldn't give up even as I DeSpooned him and he had no way of getting the delicious ice cream. So, like every desperate man he wanted a taste for all the effort he put in, and like a savage he reached with his fingers into the bowl.

I called on to the U.N or mother to deal with such savage unconventional attack, a quick "leave the hippy alone" directed at my brother stopped the ice cream bowl attacks. But like any soar loser he was not happy with the outcome, fate seemed to change cause at that very moment he contemplating what to do, if to accept defeat or retaliate somehow, the Pop Tarts popped out.

To him that was a for sure win as he was closer to the toaster and I had no way of stopping him before he would take a bite or two. So I immediately resorted to a combination of diplomacy, empty threats of violence, and even asking the UN for help. None of it mattered cause he had the determination in his eyes, so all I could do is watch as my Pop Tarts fell into enemy hands.

With his ice cream covered hand he reached for the Pop Tarts. What happened next is what convinced me Pop Tarts & ice cream are a bad combo. My brother screeched as he went flying from the counter and landing next to me. I was very confused as what had happened but I figured out as I saw the black burn marks on his fingers from the electric shock.

I don't know if this convinces you or anyone else about Pop Tarts & ice cream being bad, but my brother still doesn't eat pop tarts today.

Absolute genius!
  • SRH7
    SRH7 Posts: 2,037 Member
    Options
    They're bad because they are crap. Its not real food. If you're cool with putting swill in your system then great. But you can't claim that they are healthy. You said "convince me that they are bad." I shouldn't have to. A quick look at the ingredients can do that. It depends on your goals... my husband eats doughnuts and crap to simply get the calories in. He can do that because like you he is pulling out 1300 kcal workouts. It would be very difficult/time consuming etc. for him to get those calories through only whole foods. But make no mistake. He isn't going to try to convince anyone that doughnuts are good. It just suits him.

Ummmmmm, there are lots of calorie-dense wholefoods - olive oil, coconut oil, avocado, nuts, peanut butter, starchy veg to name but a few.

Perhaps he just secretly likes the "crap"! ;)
  • MrSeriousguy
    Options
    They are bad because they lack bacon. DUH!

pop-tarts-and-bacon-sandwich-450x366.jpg

You are my New Best Friend!
  • alexroet
    alexroet Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    eat whatever you want........... why would the rest of us care?

yet you care enough to read the thread and post about not caring...
  • leighann881
    leighann881 Posts: 371
    Options
    Would I love to give it all up and eat cleaner? Sure I would. Eating clean involves a certain responsibility and commitment which I dont have the time or resources to give right now. organic food is expenvise for starters, and I work long long days so I dont often have time to prepare the food for the next day. i will be damed if i spend my only two days off a week in the kitchen cooking and containering everything for the next week.

This is a crappy excuse. It should be banned from the forum. If you have time to post them you have time to make good diet and fitness decision as.
  • magerum
    magerum Posts: 12,589 Member
    Options
    Perhaps he just secretly likes the "crap"! ;)
  • CorvusCorax77
    CorvusCorax77 Posts: 2,536 Member
    Options
    They are bad because they lack bacon. DUH!

pop-tarts-and-bacon-sandwich-450x366.jpg

i'm a vegetarian....

and that made my mouth water.
  • KenosFeoh
    KenosFeoh Posts: 1,837 Member
    Options
    They're bad because they are crap. Its not real food. If you're cool with putting swill in your system then great. But you can't claim that they are healthy. You said "convince me that they are bad." I shouldn't have to. A quick look at the ingredients can do that. It depends on your goals... my husband eats doughnuts and crap to simply get the calories in. He can do that because like you he is pulling out 1300 kcal workouts. It would be very difficult/time consuming etc. for him to get those calories through only whole foods. But make no mistake. He isn't going to try to convince anyone that doughnuts are good. It just suits him.

Explain what crap food is please?

Protein is protein, carbs are carbs and fat is fat. Being burned off, will be burnt off. If you eat too much, it'll be stored as fat.

Can you tell me the exact 'crap' that was injected into your meat and was sprayed over your grains and crops?

Didn't think so.

You're kidding, right?
  • kelseyhere
    kelseyhere Posts: 1,123 Member
    Options
    I think you should start eating your ice cream on your pop tarts, like an ice cream sandwich. Then you should be fine ;)

Watch Forks Over Knives (on Netflix) and it will explain all that calorie density/nutrient blah blah for you.
  • bonniecarbs
    bonniecarbs Posts: 446 Member
    Options
    How can a poptart not be "real" food? they sell them in the food sections of the stores. anyway, I didnt mind giving my grandkids poptarts for breakfast long ago once i saw they had a few vits and mins in them. i had only been giving them as a snack, along with me. I put peaches on top of the cinnamon tarts, micro wave a while, and there is a little peach cobbler.
  • ARDuBaie
    ARDuBaie Posts: 379 Member
    Options
    Eating is like garbage. One person's junk (food) is another person's treasure. I make it a point to eat a piece of candy every day, otherwise I would eat a whole box of Russel Stovers one day each week. Which is worse to do? One candy a day or a box a week?

For me, I try to stay away from processed food as much as possible. Does that mean that everyone I talk to has to do so? No! To each their own, I say. If the diet works for you, go for it and pay no mind to what others think.
  • leighann881
    Options

Explain what crap food is please?

Protein is protein, carbs are carbs and fat is fat. Being burned off, will be burnt off. If you eat too much, it'll be stored as fat.

Can you tell me the exact 'crap' that was injected into your meat and was sprayed over your grains and crops?

Didn't think so.

You're kidding, right?

I can't even respond to the pure ignorance... and I eat organic/grass fed/chem-free, etc. I'm pretty well researched on GMOs, pesticides, etc. But please dazzle me with your overwhelming knowledge on sustainable foods.
  • leighann881
    Options
    How can a poptart not be "real" food? they sell them in the food sections of the stores. anyway, I didnt mind giving my grandkids poptarts for breakfast long ago once i saw they had a few vits and mins in them. i had only been giving them as a snack, along with me. I put peaches on top of the cinnamon tarts, micro wave a while, and there is a little peach cobbler.

um...
    04-Strawberry-Pop-Tarts-frosted-Kelloggs1.jpg

that's why. EVERYTHING on that list has been processed, modified, enriched, etc. NOT REAL FOOD.
  • jonnythan
    jonnythan Posts: 10,161 Member
    Options
    Oh no! A lot of ingredients means it ceases to be food!
  • CoachReddy
    CoachReddy Posts: 3,949 Member
    Options

um...
    04-Strawberry-Pop-Tarts-frosted-Kelloggs1.jpg

that's why. EVERYTHING on that list has been processed, modified, enriched, etc. NOT REAL FOOD.

the people you're fighting with won't be convinced. they enjoy processed, modified, enriched foods and prefer they make up a significant portion - if not all - of their diets.
  • MayaSPapaya
    MayaSPapaya Posts: 735 Member
    Options
    Alright, OP. I enjoyed your first few posts because I liked looking at all the pictures and even decided to treat myself and try one in the future. I got your message.
    But you're starting to become a little much here-this is like the third post and it's starting to look like you want start a fight.
    You know a lot of people here are on much lower calorie diets and are jealous and are going to pick a fight.
    So why keep picking the nerve?