Convince me Pop Tarts & ice cream are bad.

Options

Replies

• hookilau
    hookilau Posts: 3,134 Member
    Options
    Would I love to give it all up and eat cleaner? Sure I would. Eating clean involves a certain responsibility and commitment which I dont have the time or resources to give right now. organic food is expenvise for starters, and I work long long days so I dont often have time to prepare the food for the next day. i will be damed if i spend my only two days off a week in the kitchen cooking and containering everything for the next week.

I get **** for eating soup, crackers, and fruit. Becuase the soup and crackers arent "clean" and the fruit has "sugar"

I also get **** because I lift weights and dont choke protein down my throat.

really? this about food nazis?:noway:
    umm, you know these folks won't tell your mom on you right? :laugh:
    I'm not meaning to be dismissive but it all seems like a waste of energy to me.
  • Dauntlessness
    Dauntlessness Posts: 1,489 Member
    Options
    If it works for you, do whatever makes you happy. If its impairing your weight loss then well, that's on you. I know several body builders that eat pop tarts every morning.
    My diary usually had some sort of sweet in it. I refuse to live my life denying myself food I love but I also try to limit it too. Its about learning to eat balanced meals and snacks and not be on a "diet" you'll eventually stop when you get to your weight loss goal. :)
  • BeeElMarvin
    BeeElMarvin Posts: 2,086 Member
    Options
    Pop tarts are bad because they taste horrible.

Ice cream I have no beef with.
    Finally someone with some sense!

edited to add: Brown Sugar Cinnamon is the exception to this rule.

^^^ truth^^^
  • hookilau
    Options
    lol i know they wont

but the food nazis look at my diary and critisize all the "junk" I need to cut out

like seriously? I cant have my ONE peice of chocolate a day? I cant put some cheese crackers in my soup?
    am I trying to eat healthier or being punished!?

Did you notice the chicken or spinach or nuts and broccoli that I ate?

Nope it is their way or the highway

All I am saying is that their is a certain group on MFP who will always judge and critisize your food choices. And they always offer their advice..I hate the "buy all organic fresh food and cook and container it on your day off so you are ready for the next week"

no
    fu$$ing
    way

I work 40-60 or even more hours a week you know what i am gonna do? sleep and hang out with my kid! And eat my soup and crackers at work or left over dinner, or salad.

My days off are my sanctuary!

see?....nowwww this thread makes sense to me! :drinker: I tend to ignore what sounds like a bunch of junk to me. That being said, I am that person spending the whole weekend in the kitchen, cooking everything but pasta from scratch, buying organic etc. My kids are older now, 17 and 24, so I have the time and I enjoy doing it because my husband also participates.

The kids just eat whatever's put in front of them, unless I ask them to guess what's in it :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: They hate that game!!!! Yes, I'm 'that' mom :blushing:

I *have* been that working mom with small kids & 50+ hours a week as a vet tech on the 2nd shift at a 24 hour animal hospital. I'm a firm believer in doing what works. You can bet when my life was that hectic I didn't do all the stuff I do now.

I totally get it and just as I didn't let any PTA mom make me feel less than a good mom doing her best, I wouldn't let any joker make me feel guilty about the food choices I make. :drinker: edited to add: even if it were pop tarts and ice cream
  • Running_Tanya
    Running_Tanya Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    It's not a big deal if you are eating (and burning) 3000-4000 calories per day. People that are questioning your choices probably don't consider this. For many who are eating less than 2000 calories a day, 800 calories every day from pop tarts and ice cream is a problem. Don't ask me to defend that assertion. I am pretty sure we all recognize this to be common sense.

Couldn't really agree more.

As a woman who eats about 2000 cals a day (and I'm losing at that level, thank you!), I can manage about 200-300 calories in pop tarts and ice cream.

It's about having treats that are moderate for YOUR calorie level.
    I am so jealous. I can barely eat 1200 a day. As an accountant, it is so easy to work through lunch and miss meals.
  • magerum
    magerum Posts: 12,589 Member
    Options
    I guess I need to clarify some more, I didn't think it needed to be said, but obviously it does. Too many are missing the actual point of all this. People are hung up on the whole pop tarts and ice cream part. It doesn't matter if it's pop tarts & ice cream or pizza, donuts, bacon, cheese, cake, chocolate, candy, whatever you want it to be. For me, right now, it happens to be pop tarts & ice cream.

The point being is you can eat ANYTHING you want and still hit your goals. Both weight wise and nutritionally. Weight and nutrition can be mutually exclusive if you want, but they don't have to be either. You don't have to give up the foods you like, want, or love.
  • KANGOOJUMPS
    KANGOOJUMPS Posts: 6,472 Member
    Options
    they taste good to me
  • Matt_Wild
    Matt_Wild Posts: 2,673 Member
    Options
    As long as you get your macros, and enough fibre - eat those bad boys away.

I eat what people refer to as clean foods mostly as I enjoy them more as I prefer the taste.

However I won't break out in a cold sweat if every now and again I grab a tart and eat a couple. Heck I've recently been dieting on pure maltodextrin when my guts were unhappy for a while. Pure carbs! :laugh: :bigsmile:
  • magerum
    magerum Posts: 12,589 Member
    Options

Blah, blah, blah TL;DR

DUDE, pumpkin Pop tarts??? That has got to be one of the worst things I have ever heard of!

Seems like a valid argument. Thank for contributing! :drinker:
  • hookilau
    Options
    I guess I need to clarify some more, I didn't think it needed to be said, but obviously it does. Too many are missing the actual point of all this. People are hung up on the whole pop tarts and ice cream part. It doesn't matter if it's pop tarts & ice cream or pizza, donuts, bacon, cheese, cake, chocolate, candy, whatever you want it to be. For me, right now, it happens to be pop tarts & ice cream.

The point being is you can eat ANYTHING you want and still hit your goals. Both weight wise and nutritionally. Weight and nutrition can be mutually exclusive if you want, but they don't have to be either. You don't have to give up the foods you like, want, or love.

:noway: O crap. Well why didn't you just say so??? :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
    I KNEW this was a food nazi rant.
  • leighann881
    leighann881 Posts: 371
    Options
    They're bad because they are crap. Its not real food. If you're cool with putting swill in your system then great. But you can't claim that they are healthy. You said "convince me that they are bad." I shouldn't have to. A quick look at the ingredients can do that. It depends on your goals... my husband eats doughnuts and crap to simply get the calories in. He can do that because like you he is pulling out 1300 kcal workouts. It would be very difficult/time consuming etc. for him to get those calories through only whole foods. But make no mistake. He isn't going to try to convince anyone that doughnuts are good. It just suits him.
  • kristen6022
    kristen6022 Posts: 1,926 Member
    Options
    I've always thought there are no bad foods, there are just better foods. I still eat an occasional Pop Tart, Ice Cream cone or bag of gummi bears. I follow the 80/20 rule, if I choose good foods 80% of the time, 20% can be foods that could be considered "bad". Eat what you want - who cares what other's think?
  • 8goodgirl0
    8goodgirl0 Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    Poop Tarts are tooooo HOT. When they come out of the toaster, they are TOO FLIPPIN HOT

hahaha POOP tarts
  • Matt_Wild
    Matt_Wild Posts: 2,673 Member
    Options
    They're bad because they are crap. Its not real food. If you're cool with putting swill in your system then great. But you can't claim that they are healthy. You said "convince me that they are bad." I shouldn't have to. A quick look at the ingredients can do that. It depends on your goals... my husband eats doughnuts and crap to simply get the calories in. He can do that because like you he is pulling out 1300 kcal workouts. It would be very difficult/time consuming etc. for him to get those calories through only whole foods. But make no mistake. He isn't going to try to convince anyone that doughnuts are good. It just suits him.

Explain what crap food is please?

Protein is protein, carbs are carbs and fat is fat. Being burned off, will be burnt off. If you eat too much, it'll be stored as fat.

Can you tell me the exact 'crap' that was injected into your meat and was sprayed over your grains and crops?

Didn't think so.
  • lsiberian
    lsiberian Posts: 69
    Options
    Ice Cream and Pop Tarts are bad because they have too much sugar in them. Many Americans consume inadequate protein and too much sugar. While you may not have a problem with them now. You need to understand that the majority of the population still has issues with optimal protein, fruit and vegetable consumption. Also stress causes many people to binge and a box of Pop Tarts does more damage than a bowl of berries to caloric deficits so having them around is dangerous for many dieters.

Of course if you stay the course of your eating plan binges are actually healthy, but you are correct in hating the "health" food movement. It's absurd.
  • jonnythan
    jonnythan Posts: 10,161 Member
    Options
    Ice Cream and Pop Tarts are bad because they have too much sugar in them. Many Americans consume inadequate protein and too much sugar. While you may not have a problem with them now. You need to understand that the majority of the population still has issues with optimal protein, fruit and vegetable consumption. Stress causes many people to binge and a box of Pop Tarts does more damage than a bowl of berries to caloric deficits.

All of which is irrelevant if you fit Pop Tarts into your daily goals.