Convince me Pop Tarts & ice cream are bad.

Options

Replies

• LiftAllThePizzas
    LiftAllThePizzas Posts: 17,857 Member
    Options
    Please hear me on this: I do still take pleasure in eating various foods and beverages---they are just different ones than formerly. I have learned to absolutely love avocado and sage tea, for example (I never heard of such things 20 years ago). But, I have lived a very happy life, all without tying my happiness to food. As a child, I may have sought happiness in food, but since I grew up, I learned that pleasure does not equal happiness. And happiness does not equal true joy.
    This thread is not "how to derive true joy" or whether or not it can be attained via eating. It's about whether or not pop tarts and ice cream can be part of a healthy diet.
  • UnoDrea3732
    UnoDrea3732 Posts: 342 Member
    Options
    Oh my goodness! You load up after dinner for sure...completely jealous.

Plus - When in the f**k did they make a red velvet poptart?!?!?!?!? O.M.G.!!!
  • ldrosophila
    ldrosophila Posts: 7,512 Member
    Options
    so guys, I'm gonna go eat some pop tarts today. :laugh: my local bodega's selection is limited - brown sugar or cherry i think... which do I go with?

The brown sugar pop tarts are amazing.

i've had em both and like 'em both... just if i'm gonna do this i gotta make the right call. haha

Yes, if you're going to - take your time and make the decision the right one. I made homeade brown sugar cinnamon pop tarts this weekend. I don't like all the filling - so halved it. Heavenly. And because I have more weight to lose - I only ate one. See? It can be done.

recipe?
  • alexj8403
    alexj8403 Posts: 38
    Options
    I'd say eat them if that's what you want to do and you feel healthy. However, my argument against them would just be... tell me why they are good for you? What are they doing to HELP your body? Are there better options? Do you know what all of the ingredients are? Are they good for you? :)

I used to think pop tarts tasted good .... until I started eating clean & organic foods - now foods pumped with preservatives are never as good to me.
  • kcrxgirl
    kcrxgirl Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    Make an ice cream sandwich using pop tarts. Sounds awesome :)
  • FriendsR4EverTreasures
    Options
    NEVER! Eat on....
  • mmapags
    mmapags Posts: 8,934 Member
    Options
    Looking at your 4000 (which is very high if your not training for a marathon) a day caloric intake yes, there is room for pop tarts.. In the overall picture you are setting poor example for your toddler. What you may be doing is setting yourself up for diabetes in about 10 years.. Indulging in high glycemic index foods make you insulin dependent ...

Well the insulin comment is just nonsense. And, did you read where he exercises regular and intensely? And his blood markers including blood sugar levels, the primary predictor of diabetes are all excellent? And that he has lost over 150 lbs. If you are burning the sugar off with exercise, there is pretty much no risk of future Type 2 Diabetes in 10 years or 20 or whatever. Also, glycemic index is irrelevant in anything except an isocaloric environment. If you are eating fats and or protein with high glycemic foods, the total is no longer high glycemic. Ice cream is a classic example. High in sugar, fats and protein.

I mean no offense, but none of what you said is really based in scientific fact is comes across as fear mongering.
  • Matt_Wild
    Matt_Wild Posts: 2,673 Member
    Options
    I'd say eat them if that's what you want to do and you feel healthy. However, my argument against them would just be... tell me why they are good for you? What are they doing to HELP your body? Are there better options? Do you know what all of the ingredients are? Are they good for you? :)

I used to think pop tarts tasted good .... until I started eating clean & organic foods - now foods pumped with preservatives are never as good to me.

How are they NOT helping your body compared to other foods.

Please tell me the hormones and chemicals used to grow your foods... and how they are healthy too?

Lets not kid ourselves.

As for Organic foods being healthier? Come again...

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-19465692
    http://health.usnews.com/health-news/news/articles/2012/09/03/organic-foods-not-healthier-or-more-nutritious-study-says
    http://www.redorbit.com/news/health/1112718389/organic-foods-children-102312/
    http://www.telegraph.co.uk/health/healthnews/9517246/Organic-food-is-not-healthier.html
    http://www.npr.org/blogs/thesalt/2012/09/04/160395259/why-organic-food-may-not-be-healthier-for-you
  • EdTheGinge
    EdTheGinge Posts: 1,616 Member
    Options
    Had cherry last night and well it almost exploded, still favouring strawberry. Need them toasted to the point that they're almost burnt, anyone else do that ? My girlfriend had them barely heated and it just seemed so WRONG.

Is Oreo really all that ?
  • jonnythan
    jonnythan Posts: 10,161 Member
    Options
    pop tarts are just gross.

:-O!!!
  • beachlover317
    beachlover317 Posts: 2,848 Member
    Options
    :heart:
    so guys, I'm gonna go eat some pop tarts today. :laugh: my local bodega's selection is limited - brown sugar or cherry i think... which do I go with?

The brown sugar pop tarts are amazing.

i've had em both and like 'em both... just if i'm gonna do this i gotta make the right call. haha

Yes, if you're going to - take your time and make the decision the right one. I made homeade brown sugar cinnamon pop tarts this weekend. I don't like all the filling - so halved it. Heavenly. And because I have more weight to lose - I only ate one. See? It can be done.

recipe?

Nice loss, btw. Here's the link - http://www.the-baker-chick.com/2012/03/21/cinnamon-brown-sugar-pop-tarts/

ETA: the picture in my ticker is from the website.
  • mmapags
    mmapags Posts: 8,934 Member
    Options
    I haven't read through the 14 pages of this thread but is OP really eating 4k cals everyday with 300+ g of protein, 100+g of fat, and a lot of carbs each day and thinking it's good? All that'll do is give me fat on top of fat
    Fixed it for you.

Read the rest of the thread. Dude has lost 158 lbs eating this way and his optimal health marker in blood tests. You can't make this kind of blanket statement without knowing the details. Like his height, weight, exercise program etc. It wouldn't work for me at 4000 calories. I have a different body than him. I could do the same ratios though at 2500. Might not work for you either but the idea is not that many cals but that a certain ratio of what you eat can be whatever you want once macro targets are met with nutrient dense foods.
  • jakidb
    jakidb Posts: 1,010 Member
    Options
    Obviously pop tarts aren't good for you--to high in calories and everything else but I supposed if you stay within your recommended caloric intake and everything else, do you.

I love ice cream so I have no comment on that but what I do is limit how much I have and how often I have it.

Do you--I won't argue; you like what you like
  • Bikini27
    Bikini27 Posts: 1,298 Member
    Options
    Pop tarts are bad because they taste horrible.

Ice cream I have no beef with.
    Finally someone with some sense!

edited to add: Brown Sugar Cinnamon is the exception to this rule.

Yes, yes, and YES!
  • wcso911mn
    wcso911mn Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    They are bad because they lack bacon. DUH!

LOL! ^^This!^^
  • ilovedeadlifts
    ilovedeadlifts Posts: 2,923 Member
    Options
    if weight loss is your primary goal, there's nothing "wrong" with your pop tarts and ice cream provided you're hitting your macros.

that being said, there are countless choices that would be better ,provide more micronutritients, etc. so if optimal health were your primary focus, I think you could fill out the calories in a better manner.
  • magerum
    magerum Posts: 12,589 Member
    Options
    There is nothing wrong with any of it. I live on it. The only thing you have to watch for is sodium and blood pressure. Which is why they make blood pressure meds. Inhibit your kidney from retaining water and keep on eating all the pop tarts in the world. Yes, serious.

Does your doc know that you eat that much sugar? Eating a lot of sugar may cause high serum uric acid which is likely a causative agent in not only hypertension, but renal disease and failure. http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/23439375

You might want to have your uric acid level checked. Google "hyperuricemia and hypertension". Here's an article to start with: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/23089272

From the article: "Although more research is clearly necessary, the available data suggest that uric acid is likely causative in some cases of early onset hypertension." If you have hypertension at your age, I wouldn't be so confident that B.P. meds will solve all problems. By the time that B.P. is sodium dependent, there may have already been significant renal damage.

Already answered this the first time you asked. As of two weeks ago 3.2 mg/dL. Low end of average. Thanks.

Actually, this post was directed at trojanBB who is apparently already struggling with B.P. issues. Are you, by any chance, on Allopurinol? That wouldn't be at all surprising in someone who was once a very big boy. Are you on any medications? Hope you don't mind my asking but I think it is pertinent to the discussion of how eating junk food in any quantity can be quite unhealthy.

No meds at all. I don't even take aspirin. I do drink about 1000 mg of caffeine a day on top of all this. I'm sure that will bug you too.

Doesn't "bug" me at all. I just think you are a walking medical miracle and that you should volunteer to be studied by obesity researchers (there's a lot of that going on--check the nearest med school). I will say that it is a good thing that you drink a lot of coffee, as that is associated with lower serum uric acid levels. The likely mechanism is that one of the metabolites of coffee is 1-methyl xanthine and it competitively inhibits the enzyme that produces uric acid (xanthine oxidase). Stay healthy. :smile:

No miracle here. Just proper macro consumption, nutritional needs met, proper amounts of aerobic & anarobic exercise, brought together with mathimatical equations and a set of controls.

Do tell. Sounds fascinating.

I'll respond to this when I get back to a proper keyboard. Using my phone currently

As promised, I'm at a proper keyboard now.

It really isn't that difficult to figure out. I follow the minimums of 1 g protein for every lb of weight and .35 g of fat for every lb of weight & 35+ g of fiber. I let the rest fall where they may. Which turns out to be significantly more protein just by the nature of my eating.

I hit my micro nutrient goals quite easily by nautre of my diet, which you seem to ignore. By the time I've finished my third meal I've eaten 2 - 2.5 lbs of vegetables, 1.5 - 2 lbs of lean meat (primarily chicken breast), almonds, cottage cheese, whey, a mutli-vitamin, & fish oil supplement. As well as 16+ glasses of water.

My 4th mean, the one you seem to have a problem with, is primarily used to fill in caloric needs. Then the rest is tempered by an exercise routine that I stick to you monitor with a good HRM. My control sets are quite simple. Same time of day, same equipment, same routes/paths, same days of the week.

It's not rocket science, simple routine, consistency, & planning. That is how I'm able to consume what I do and maintain the health markers that I do.
  • guppygirl322
    guppygirl322 Posts: 408 Member
    Options
    Some people eat pop tarts, some don't.

The ones who don't eat them have very valid reasons for not doing so, such as sugar content, GMO content, caramel coloring (cancer link), HFCS (mercury link), artificial colors, etc.

The one who eat them have valid reasons for doing so, such as, I'm not overweight/still managing to lose weight, they taste good (which really depends which side of the pop tart fence you are on), I deserve a treat....etc.

At the end of the day, if you want to eat them, why do you care what a total stranger thinks? I would never tell you not to eat them, and hopefully you wouldn't force them on someone who didn't want them. However, if someone who really cares about you is suggesting you might cut back or stop, maybe you would want to ask THEM why.
  • da_bears10089
    da_bears10089 Posts: 1,791 Member
    Options
    My husband is trying to build muscle so he is eating usually over 4000 cal a day, and he will have a mt. dew and some swiss cake rolls and misc junk food. OP, you've lost a LOT of weight, and you aren't depriving yourself of the things you love... so i'm pretty sure you've got something figured out.
  • CoachReddy
    CoachReddy Posts: 3,949 Member
    Options
    There is nothing wrong with any of it. I live on it. The only thing you have to watch for is sodium and blood pressure. Which is why they make blood pressure meds. Inhibit your kidney from retaining water and keep on eating all the pop tarts in the world. Yes, serious.

Does your doc know that you eat that much sugar? Eating a lot of sugar may cause high serum uric acid which is likely a causative agent in not only hypertension, but renal disease and failure. http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/23439375

You might want to have your uric acid level checked. Google "hyperuricemia and hypertension". Here's an article to start with: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/23089272

From the article: "Although more research is clearly necessary, the available data suggest that uric acid is likely causative in some cases of early onset hypertension." If you have hypertension at your age, I wouldn't be so confident that B.P. meds will solve all problems. By the time that B.P. is sodium dependent, there may have already been significant renal damage.

Already answered this the first time you asked. As of two weeks ago 3.2 mg/dL. Low end of average. Thanks.

Actually, this post was directed at trojanBB who is apparently already struggling with B.P. issues. Are you, by any chance, on Allopurinol? That wouldn't be at all surprising in someone who was once a very big boy. Are you on any medications? Hope you don't mind my asking but I think it is pertinent to the discussion of how eating junk food in any quantity can be quite unhealthy.

No meds at all. I don't even take aspirin. I do drink about 1000 mg of caffeine a day on top of all this. I'm sure that will bug you too.

Doesn't "bug" me at all. I just think you are a walking medical miracle and that you should volunteer to be studied by obesity researchers (there's a lot of that going on--check the nearest med school). I will say that it is a good thing that you drink a lot of coffee, as that is associated with lower serum uric acid levels. The likely mechanism is that one of the metabolites of coffee is 1-methyl xanthine and it competitively inhibits the enzyme that produces uric acid (xanthine oxidase). Stay healthy. :smile:

No miracle here. Just proper macro consumption, nutritional needs met, proper amounts of aerobic & anarobic exercise, brought together with mathimatical equations and a set of controls.

Do tell. Sounds fascinating.

I'll respond to this when I get back to a proper keyboard. Using my phone currently

As promised, I'm at a proper keyboard now.

It really isn't that difficult to figure out. I follow the minimums of 1 g protein for every lb of weight and .35 g of fat for every lb of weight & 35+ g of fiber. I let the rest fall where they may. Which turns out to be significantly more protein just by the nature of my eating.

I hit my micro nutrient goals quite easily by nautre of my diet, which you seem to ignore. By the time I've finished my third meal I've eaten 2 - 2.5 lbs of vegetables, 1.5 - 2 lbs of lean meat (primarily chicken breast), almonds, cottage cheese, whey, a mutli-vitamin, & fish oil supplement. As well as 16+ glasses of water.

My 4th mean, the one you seem to have a problem with, is primarily used to fill in caloric needs. Then the rest is tempered by an exercise routine that I stick to you monitor with a good HRM. My control sets are quite simple. Same time of day, same equipment, same routes/paths, same days of the week.

It's not rocket science, simple routine, consistency, & planning. That is how I'm able to consume what I do and maintain the health markers that I do.

keep reading buddy. you're gonna love where this ended up.