Convince me Pop Tarts & ice cream are bad.

Options

Replies

• CoachReddy
    CoachReddy Posts: 3,949 Member
    Options
    I guess I need to clarify some more, I didn't think it needed to be said, but obviously it does. Too many are missing the actual point of all this. People are hung up on the whole pop tarts and ice cream part. It doesn't matter if it's pop tarts & ice cream or pizza, donuts, bacon, cheese, cake, chocolate, candy, whatever you want it to be. For me, right now, it happens to be pop tarts & ice cream.

The point being is you can eat ANYTHING you want and still hit your goals. Both weight wise and nutritionally. Weight and nutrition can be mutually exclusive if you want, but they don't have to be either. You don't have to give up the foods you like, want, or love.

Exactly! If you give up the things you enjoy will you enjoy your new found thinness or will you be thin and unhappy?

agreed!
  • __Di__
    __Di__ Posts: 1,639 Member
    Options
    Alright, OP. I enjoyed your first few posts because I liked looking at all the pictures and even decided to treat myself and try one in the future. I got your message.
    But you're starting to become a little much here-this is like the third post and it's starting to look like you want start a fight.
    You know a lot of people here are on much lower calorie diets and are jealous and are going to pick a fight.
    So why keep picking the nerve?

I bring it up because I have a lot of success with weight loss and health doing it this way, but every time I offer advise I'm chastised over eating "pop tarts & ice cream". It actually isn't about pop tarts or ice cream, it's about knowing you can achieve all your goals eating anything you want. You don't have to be on a fad diet or not eat things you enjoy to do this. That's the point.

Well let's put it this way OP, 4000 calories per day is not realistic for most people wanting to lose weight.

20 - 25% , doesn't matter what your total intake is. I get to eat more because mine's higher, that's all that means. I never said go eat 1000 calories a day of XXXX food.

Okies let's put this another way.

Eating junk food or stuff high in calories means less left for some people's daily calorie total. So using up 600 calories on say poptarts and ice-cream will for some result in them only having 600-800 left for proper meals.

This is why I kept bringing up the total daily calories intake here.
  • magerum
    magerum Posts: 12,589 Member
    Options
    There is nothing wrong with any of it. I live on it. The only thing you have to watch for is sodium and blood pressure. Which is why they make blood pressure meds. Inhibit your kidney from retaining water and keep on eating all the pop tarts in the world. Yes, serious.

Does your doc know that you eat that much sugar? Eating a lot of sugar may cause high serum uric acid which is likely a causative agent in not only hypertension, but renal disease and failure. http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/23439375

You might want to have your uric acid level checked. Google "hyperuricemia and hypertension". Here's an article to start with: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/23089272

From the article: "Although more research is clearly necessary, the available data suggest that uric acid is likely causative in some cases of early onset hypertension." If you have hypertension at your age, I wouldn't be so confident that B.P. meds will solve all problems. By the time that B.P. is sodium dependent, there may have already been significant renal damage.

Already answered this the first time you asked. As of two weeks ago 3.2 mg/dL. Low end of average. Thanks.

Actually, this post was directed at trojanBB who is apparently already struggling with B.P. issues. Are you, by any chance, on Allopurinol? That wouldn't be at all surprising in someone who was once a very big boy. Are you on any medications? Hope you don't mind my asking but I think it is pertinent to the discussion of how eating junk food in any quantity can be quite unhealthy.

No meds at all. I don't even take aspirin. I do drink about 1000 mg of caffeine a day on top of all this. I'm sure that will bug you too.

Doesn't "bug" me at all. I just think you are a walking medical miracle and that you should volunteer to be studied by obesity researchers (there's a lot of that going on--check the nearest med school). I will say that it is a good thing that you drink a lot of coffee, as that is associated with lower serum uric acid levels. The likely mechanism is that one of the metabolites of coffee is 1-methyl xanthine and it competitively inhibits the enzyme that produces uric acid (xanthine oxidase). Stay healthy. :smile:

No miracle here. Just proper macro consumption, nutritional needs met, proper amounts of aerobic & anarobic exercise, brought together with mathimatical equations and a set of controls.
  • SideSteel
    SideSteel Posts: 11,068 Member
    Options
    Alright, OP. I enjoyed your first few posts because I liked looking at all the pictures and even decided to treat myself and try one in the future. I got your message.
    But you're starting to become a little much here-this is like the third post and it's starting to look like you want start a fight.
    You know a lot of people here are on much lower calorie diets and are jealous and are going to pick a fight.

I bring it up because I have a lot of success with weight loss and health doing it this way, but every time I offer advise I'm chastised over eating "pop tarts & ice cream". It actually isn't about pop tarts or ice cream, it's about knowing you can achieve all your goals eating anything you want. You don't have to be on a fad diet or not eat things you enjoy to do this. That's the point.

Well let's put it this way OP, 4000 calories per day is not realistic for most people wanting to lose weight.

20 - 25% , doesn't matter what your total intake is. I get to eat more because mine's higher, that's all that means. I never said go eat 1000 calories a day of XXXX food.

Eating junk food or stuff high in calories means less left for some people's daily calorie total. So using up 600 calories on say poptarts and ice-cream will for some result in them only having 600-800 left for proper meals.

Which is why discretionary intake is typically done in percent and not flat.
  • CoachReddy
    Options
    There is nothing wrong with any of it. I live on it. The only thing you have to watch for is sodium and blood pressure. Which is why they make blood pressure meds. Inhibit your kidney from retaining water and keep on eating all the pop tarts in the world. Yes, serious.

Does your doc know that you eat that much sugar? Eating a lot of sugar may cause high serum uric acid which is likely a causative agent in not only hypertension, but renal disease and failure. http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/23439375

You might want to have your uric acid level checked. Google "hyperuricemia and hypertension". Here's an article to start with: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/23089272

From the article: "Although more research is clearly necessary, the available data suggest that uric acid is likely causative in some cases of early onset hypertension." If you have hypertension at your age, I wouldn't be so confident that B.P. meds will solve all problems. By the time that B.P. is sodium dependent, there may have already been significant renal damage.

Already answered this the first time you asked. As of two weeks ago 3.2 mg/dL. Low end of average. Thanks.

Actually, this post was directed at trojanBB who is apparently already struggling with B.P. issues. Are you, by any chance, on Allopurinol? That wouldn't be at all surprising in someone who was once a very big boy. Are you on any medications? Hope you don't mind my asking but I think it is pertinent to the discussion of how eating junk food in any quantity can be quite unhealthy.

No meds at all. I don't even take aspirin. I do drink about 1000 mg of caffeine a day on top of all this. I'm sure that will bug you too.

Doesn't "bug" me at all. I just think you are a walking medical miracle and that you should volunteer to be studied by obesity researchers (there's a lot of that going on--check the nearest med school). I will say that it is a good thing that you drink a lot of coffee, as that is associated with lower serum uric acid levels. The likely mechanism is that one of the metabolites of coffee is 1-methyl xanthine and it competitively inhibits the enzyme that produces uric acid (xanthine oxidase). Stay healthy. :smile:

No miracle here. Just proper macro consumption, nutritional needs met, proper amounts of aerobic & anarobic exercise, brought together with mathimatical equations and a set of controls.

what's your timetable? when did you start eating this way (2,000 cal of processed stuff)? how long's it been going?
  • CoachReddy
    Options

Which is why discretionary intake is typically done in percent and not flat.

1) do you believe in empty calories
    2) if so, would you recommend getting 50% of your calories from them daily?
  • magerum
    Options
    OP, this is a little off topic, but I am wondering how many calories a day you were eating *before* you lost all the weight?

Fair question. Probably a similar amount. Though I feel like I'm actually eating
    more volume now.
  • SanteMulberry
    SanteMulberry Posts: 3,202 Member
    Options
    I guess I need to clarify some more, I didn't think it needed to be said, but obviously it does. Too many are missing the actual point of all this. People are hung up on the whole pop tarts and ice cream part. It doesn't matter if it's pop tarts & ice cream or pizza, donuts, bacon, cheese, cake, chocolate, candy, whatever you want it to be. For me, right now, it happens to be pop tarts & ice cream.

The point being is you can eat ANYTHING you want and still hit your goals. Both weight wise and nutritionally. Weight and nutrition can be mutually exclusive if you want, but they don't have to be either. You don't have to give up the foods you like, want, or love.

Exactly! If you give up the things you enjoy will you enjoy your new found thinness or will you be thin and unhappy?

Only babies derive happiness from what they put in their mouths. Hedonism is always a mistake. Therein does not true joy lie.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Orthorexia_nervosa

Get help.

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: (If you only knew how very amusing that is to me and why...) You are being ridiculous (in addition to being insulting). I am far from wasting away from malnutriton. I love, love, love the way that some of you here are so quick to paste a pejorative label on another person who merely seeks to improve his/her health (which I have, by the way). My health is my responsibility--it is the responsibility that grown-ups accept. Others, not so much. Abusing one's health is what immature people do. I bid you good evening. I'm off to share some time with my hubby before bed. (Another healthy thing to do.) Hope it doesn't provoke too much arm-chair psychologizing in you and keep you up tonight.
  • LiftAllThePizzas
    LiftAllThePizzas Posts: 17,857 Member
    Options
    Only babies derive happiness from what they put in their mouths. Hedonism is always a mistake. Therein does not true joy lie.
    I'm 43 years old, not a baby, and derive happiness from eating. Every day. So that statement is easily falsified by observed reality.

Enjoying eating is not "hedonism." There is an entire spectrum, much of which is healthy moderation. You are presenting a false dichotomy that the only options are hedonism or misery.

I suppose sex for pleasure is also "a mistake."
  • SanteMulberry
    Options

Do tell. Sounds fascinating.
  • magerum
    Options

Again you miss the point. If you're only eating 1600 a day, by my math, that would mean 320-400 calories of whatever you want after meeting your nutrional needs.
  • SanteMulberry
    Options
    I'm 43 years old, not a baby, and derive happiness from eating. Every day. So that statement is easily falsified by observed reality.

Enjoying eating is not "hedonism." There is an entire spectrum, much of which is healthy moderation. You are presenting a false dichotomy that the only options are hedonism or misery.

Not within healthy bounds. It is a part of a healthy and fulfilling marital relationship. But unbounded sexuality has produced a great deal of human tragedy. However, that is to derail the subject at hand--sorry OP.

I think you and I probably have a different definition of happiness. I could NEVER imagine seeking it in food.
  • magerum
    Options

what's your timetable? when did you start eating this way (2,000 cal of processed stuff)? how long's it been going?

Here's an answer you'll probably love. My whole life probably, by your standards.
  • CoachReddy
    Options

Here's an answer you'll probably love. My whole life probably, by your standards.

i don't mean "by my standards"

give us your story man. what did you do to LOSE the weight? right now you're looking to build muscle obviously - bulk up. How many calories did you eat to drop the 158? When did you start? and when did you switch to your current 4,000?
  • mmapags
    mmapags Posts: 8,934 Member
    Options

Not within healthy bounds. It is a part of a healthy and fulfilling marital relationship. But unbounded sexuality has produced a great deal of human tragedy. However, that is to derail the subject at hand--sorry OP.

I think you and I probably have a different definition of happiness. I could NEVER imagine seeking it in food.

We just get it all from you. Medical advice (you don't really have a license to practice medicine now do you), admonitions in eating and sex. Are you a practicing cleric? All this for one low price of admission!! It just doesn't get better than that!!
  • magerum
    Options

Do tell. Sounds fascinating.

I'll respond to this when I get back to a proper keyboard. Using my phone currently
  • ryry_
    ryry_ Posts: 4,966 Member
    Options

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Orthorexia_nervosa

Get help.

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: (If you only knew how very amusing that is to me and why...) You are being ridiculous (in addition to being insulting). I am far from wasting away from malnutriton. I love, love, love the way that some of you here are so quick to paste a pejorative label on another person who merely seeks to improve his/her health (which I have, by the way). My health is my responsibility--it is the responsibility that grown-ups accept. Others, not so much. Abusing one's health is what immature people do. I bid you good evening. I'm off to share some time with my hubby before bed. (Another healthy thing to do.) Hope it doesn't provoke too much arm-chair psychologizing in you and keep you up tonight.

I'm trying so hard to not be sarcastic but your condescension and haughty superiority complex irks me. It looks like you lost 54 lbs. Are you at your goal weight or do you want to lose more?

Are you telling me you gained those lbs by accident. No feelings of joy at family gatherings or comfort during hard times? Were you just an immature little baby those first 40 years of life?
  • Brownsbacker4evr
    Brownsbacker4evr Posts: 365 Member
    Options
    I will not. You got it right bro! hahaha I too enjoy these things and have done so while losing nearly as much weight as yourself...unfortunately without exercise they caught back up to me, so I gotta work my way back down! lol
  • magerum
    Options

give us your story man. what did you do to LOSE the weight? right now you're looking to build muscle obviously - bulk up. How many calories did you eat to drop the 158? When did you start? and when did you switch to your current 4,000?

This too requires a proper keyboard, not an iPhone. I'll respond, not dodging this in the least.
  • CoachReddy
    Options

This too requires a proper keyboard, not an iPhone. I'll respond, not dodging this in the least.

nah no worries. take your time. all internet arguing aside, i actually am legitimately interested, because your numbers really are pretty amazing