Don't eat proteins and carbs in the same meal?

Options

Replies

• Miss_Chievous_wechange
    Miss_Chievous_wechange Posts: 1,230 Member
    Options
    You've got to be eff'n joking! SMFH
  • BlueObsidian
    BlueObsidian Posts: 297 Member
    Options
    This must be why I got fat. It's not that I ate all that cheese and dough in pizza, it's that I ate them at the same time.

I'll just eat the pound of cheese for breakfast, then eat the crust for lunch. No worries!

I ate 1200 calories (planned) of pizza for dinner on Wednesday. When I woke up the next morning, I had lost 1.4 pounds. I think you just weren't eating the right pizza.
  • FitChickBritt
    FitChickBritt Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    It's called food combining and it actually works for people who have stomach issues and problems digesting. I'm not sure if it's necessarily for weight loss- that will still be based on calories in vs. calories out. There are tons of people out there that use the method of food combining. I've practiced it before and I think it does help a lot with digestion; it can be a little overwhelimg (to me) to keep up with and to think about when you're planning meals.
  • BrianJLamb
    BrianJLamb Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    Maybe it is just me, but I think that the Sugar Busters is probably the most underrated diet out there...and if that didn't work for someone, I would be surprised if the Hay diet got the results. I mean, Sugar Busters is clearly better.
  • Kohadre
    Kohadre Posts: 316
    Options
    I eat proteins and carbs together and I've lost almost 40 pounds since May of last year. Am I a special snowflake then? ;)

We are not special snowflakes
  • katy_trail
    katy_trail Posts: 1,992 Member
    Options
    It sounds like she is eating more protein that before, otherwise she would need to eat carbs every 2 hours, according to what she was saying.
  • jonnythan
    jonnythan Posts: 10,161 Member
    Options
    This must be why I got fat. It's not that I ate all that cheese and dough in pizza, it's that I ate them at the same time.

I'll just eat the pound of cheese for breakfast, then eat the crust for lunch. No worries!

I ate 1200 calories (planned) of pizza for dinner on Wednesday. When I woke up the next morning, I had lost 1.4 pounds. I think you just weren't eating the right pizza.

On Wednesday March 13 I had 1500 calories of Cici's for dinner. Over the next three days, I dropped 2 pounds and haven't bounced back.

So maybe pizza is "a neutral."
  • UsedToBeHusky
    UsedToBeHusky Posts: 15,229 Member
    Options
    graphics-yo-yo-588543.gif
  • deb3129
    deb3129 Posts: 1,294 Member
    Options
    Oh wow, I have been doing it wrong all along! Every meal I eat has both carbs and protein, this will never do. Oh wait, I have lost 117 pounds, never mind..... it seems to be working!
  • Cr01502
    Cr01502 Posts: 3,614 Member
    Options
    I recently have started the Hay diet. Basically you eat protein with neutral foods but no starches/sugars and you eat starches/sugars with neutral foods but no protein. I have tried this for a couple of days and am already seeing the scale go down. I have had issues with losing weight and have been on many different diets.... Atkin's, Sugar busters, cabbage soup diet (thought I was gonna die with this one...lol),

Atkins, Cabbage soup, Sugar busters? This diet is just another one of those.

Even if there were truth in the science behind it, it;s not something you can do long term. It's just another program that you'l eventually go tired of and when you do the pounds will come back.
  • TraceyG1971
    TraceyG1971 Posts: 123
    Options

People can do what they want, but when they try to convince other people their nonsense is somehow reality then people should pipe up.

Who am I trying to convince? I'm not pushing this onto anyone. I wanted to know if anyone else had tried it...obviously noone that has responded as of yet.

I do understand what everyone is trying to say...it is not falling on deaf ears. Though, I think what I am saying is falling on deaf ears. I know calories in/calories out. I know to exercise. I know to eat right. AND I also know not to eat 6000 calories a day. I am not stupid even though some seem to be treating me that way. And most of all, I KNOW my body and if I eat over 1800 calories a day... I gain weight. I have had my thyroid checked, it is fine. Not every body is the same regardless of what others think. I have a very slow metabolism but I am trying to boost it by doing strength training not just cardio, which I do also.

If I am successful with this way of eating and it helps me to lose the weight, I will post a success story. I am not considering this to be a diet, I am considering it to be a change of the way I eat. If anyone looked at the chart that I posted the link for then you would know that the carbs not to mix with protein are the starches and sugars.
  • BlueObsidian
    BlueObsidian Posts: 297 Member
    Options

On Wednesday March 13 I had 1500 calories of Cici's for dinner. Over the next three days, I dropped 2 pounds and haven't bounced back.

You're probably right. I'm thinking that the sauce cancels out the cheese and the crust.
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Options
    Geez people - why do you feel the need to comment when you have nothing positive to say.

So when someone posts counterproductive misinformation and nonsense you just shrug and don't care?

People can do what they want, but when they try to convince other people their nonsense is somehow reality then people should pipe up.

I agree with the cat. The human too, I guess, since he's with the cat :P

But seriously OP...from experience - complicated diets that make you jump through hoops and exclude this food, that food, etc (not pertaining to those with medical reasons to do so of course) - this just frustrates so many people. Really, protein and carbs can't be eaten together? Think about that for a minute. Then look at all those who have had success. Look at their diaries and realize that it's not about segregating or turning your head from certain types of foods.

I've eaten proteins, carbs and fats all together in one meal. Pretty much every meal. And I don't exclude any foods. Hell, I'm lactose intolerant but thanks to Lactaid, I can still have my ice cream :P And I've lost over 60 lbs and gone from 22/24W to 14 (US pants size). I don't think the combo of protein and carbs made me fat. It was me overeating, period.
  • triggsta
    triggsta Posts: 140
    Options
    What the hell is a "neutral food"? Doesn't everything have some level of one of the three major macros: carbs, protein, and/or fat?
  • magerum
    magerum Posts: 12,589 Member
    Options

CloseEnough_zpsfa81ed12.jpg
  • sunsnstatheart
    sunsnstatheart Posts: 2,544 Member
    Options
    What the hell is a "neutral food"? Doesn't everything have some level of one of the three major macros: carbs, protein, and/or fat?

Swiss Cheese?
  • fit4lifeUcan2
    fit4lifeUcan2 Posts: 1,458 Member
    Options
    Sounds like the LA Weight loss diet plan I was on several years ago after I had my last child. With that you had the first two weeks of all protein. They said it was to jump start your metabolism. Then they would slowly introduce other foods into the mix BUT they had certain rules. You couldn't eat carbs with certain foods. So if you had a pork chop you couldn't have it with corn, rice, peas or potatoes. Only with a green veggie. That diet had me so stressed out. They insisted that I come in to weigh in 3x's a week. When I told them that was impossible that once a week was sufficient they looked at me as if I had 3 heads. I did lose all of the weight and then come while on that diet very quickly I did put it all back on and then come after stopping it.
  • PikaKnight
    Options

It's bread, cheese, veggies, and meat (for those non-vegans/vegetarians)....or as Sara told MoreBean - Protein, carbs, and fat. It's pretty well balanced in my book. It just comes down to not eating the whole large pizza at once (unless that fits in your calorie goals or you ran a marathon or something..lol).
  • jonnythan
    jonnythan Posts: 10,161 Member
    Options

Who am I trying to convince? I'm not pushing this onto anyone. I wanted to know if anyone else had tried it...obviously noone that has responded as of yet.

I do understand what everyone is trying to say...it is not falling on deaf ears. Though, I think what I am saying is falling on deaf ears. I know calories in/calories out. I know to exercise. I know to eat right. AND I also know not to eat 6000 calories a day. I am not stupid even though some seem to be treating me that way. And most of all, I KNOW my body and if I eat over 1800 calories a day... I gain weight. I have had my thyroid checked, it is fine. Not every body is the same regardless of what others think. I have a very slow metabolism but I am trying to boost it by doing strength training not just cardio, which I do also.

If I am successful with this way of eating and it helps me to lose the weight, I will post a success story. I am not considering this to be a diet, I am considering it to be a change of the way I eat. If anyone looked at the chart that I posted the link for then you would know that the carbs not to mix with protein are the starches and sugars.

Well then you would put it in success stories and tell us what worked for you.

That's not what you did.

You posted a question in the Food and Nutrition forum. And people have attempted to correct your misconceptions.
  • PikaKnight
    Options

Is "neutral food" like "zero calorie food"...does this mean it doesn't count? Woot woot! lol.