ASK ME ANYTHING ABOUT WEIGHT LOSS!!! GREATEST THREAD EVER!!

Options

Replies

• MrsBrosco
    MrsBrosco Posts: 295
    Options
    bump
  • karendee4
    karendee4 Posts: 558 Member
    Options
    What do you think about carb cycling? I am trying this to break a plateau. I do 3 days of lower carb around 144g and one day of higher carb 300g and then I repeat the cycle.

What are your thoughts? I am stuck in a plateau and need to get the loss moving (lost about 115lbs so far).

I already change my exercise routine often. I even lowered my calories because eating TDEE was not working :)
  • missangeh
    Options
    Do you have any ideas for breaking a plateau for somebody with PCOS? No matter how hard I work out (I have a trainer and we up the intensity every week or three and ALWAYS do different stuff to keep me from getting used to anything), I hit 240 and BAM, that's all she wrote. I'm thinking maybe something dietary, since I can't seem to exercise hard enough. I kickbox, do 3-6 hours of cardio a week (mostly elliptical, row machine, stair climber) and loads of strength training. I vary between 1200-1500 calories a day, no high fructose, very little dairy. I lost 46 pounds in three months and have only gained or maintained since.
  • StephL0711
    StephL0711 Posts: 141
    Options
    Bump
  • 1karate
    1karate Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    You're Awesome!! Thank you for your knowledge.
  • auhala
    auhala Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Bump for later
  • lucyrose_
    lucyrose_ Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    bump
  • sozirny
    sozirny Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Ok what can I do if I have a low thyroid and I also do not have any female hormones any more does that effect the amount of calories i should take in? I try and walk and eat 1450 calories everyday and it seems that the scale never seems to move.
  • 8break
    8break Posts: 11
    Options
    bump
  • kgj66
    kgj66 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    bump
  • Melissaol
    Melissaol Posts: 952 Member
    Options
    Want to lose 20lbs by June. Does anyone have an idea. I am training for a 5K in May. Trying to eat right. No alcohol .
  • HappyCamper5166
    Options
    bump
  • sassyrayofsunshine
    sassyrayofsunshine Posts: 499 Member
    Options
    Def might need to look at this over and over again...maybe something here will help me get over my plateau.
  • amos481
    amos481 Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    bump
  • tricksee
    tricksee Posts: 835 Member
    Options
    Yeah... this is definitely NOT the greatest thread ever...

I'd reply properly to your post if I actually cared about what you thought. For now thanks for your constructive and motivational comment.
  • tricksee
    Options
    What do you think about carb cycling?

I prefer calorie cycling first as I'm pretty damn lazy and find it much easier to track. Also, low/zero carb days seem very restrictive to me and I would probably go crazy.

If you want to give it a shot though, from BB.com

The Life-Style Cycle

The Lifestyle Cycle is aptly named. It is designed for those who wish to "live life", enjoy the pleasures of food (and drink), friends, and social gatherings. It is a plan designed for maintenance, not body-fat loss, so you need to be "satisfied" with you current level of fitness. It can be used to get through an extended vacation or a long stretch of holidays (say from Thanksgiving until New Year) while you are otherwise cutting, or a period in your life when improvement is not a priority.

Yes, unlike most authors on the topic of diet I am conceding that (1) there are times when it is acceptable (hell even desirable) to eat for the sake of enjoyment alone, and (2) it is okay to be satisfied and not always seeking to achieve an improved physical state (which is obviously doomed to failure and self-loathing). This Lifestyle Cycle is based on the "ordinary" lifestyle of an "average" individual.

If you have a peculiar way of life or just specific plans on specific days of a specific week, feel free to adjust accordingly so long as you understand the principles at work, and keep the weekly ratios the same. Likewise, if you gain fat easily you may need to cut back some on the gluttony, and the converse is true if you don't.

Here is a weekly cycle that should work nicely for most:

Monday = No Carb
    Tuesday = Low Carb
    Wednesday = High Carb
    Thursday = No Carb
    Friday = Low carb
    Saturday = High Carb+
    Sunday = Low Carb

Now, if you are paying attention, you are saying to yourself "WTF is high carb+?" And you are probably also thinking, "sounds interesting," as you lick your lips.
    Well, it is interesting, and I think you'll like it. It is like a regular high carb day except:

Any carbs are acceptable for your carb meals
    You may drink alcohol during one of your carb meals
    You must keep fats as low as possible (except continue with fish oil supplementation)
    In addition, once every other week, your middle of the week high carb day can have one "high carb+" meal. Implicit in this statement is the fact that this middle of the week high carb day can also be moved.

Wednesday is optimal, but if the big dinner you have planned, or the office party, or hot date, falls on a Tuesday or Thursday, fell free to swap days. I would only warn that if you moved it to Thursday, Friday should become a no carb day, as you'd want to buffer two high carb days with a small period of depletion. So, for example, let's say the hot date fell on a Thursday. I'd recommend switching it up as follows:

Monday = Low Carb
    Tuesday = No Carb
    Wednesday = Low Carb
    Thursday = High Carb
    Friday = No carb
    Saturday = High Carb+
    Sunday = Low Carb

let me know how you get on!
  • FattieBabs
    FattieBabs Posts: 542 Member
    Options
    The hypothetical 300lb lady probably doesn't have time for the "exceedingly slow" and completely unnecessary way of doing things when she could take 5 minutes to do measurements and calculations and lose weight at 2lbs a week (very safely at that weight) and quickly decrease her chance of death by wasting no time losing 10% of her body weight. I have no idea what circumstance leave you imagining this woman unable to perform day to day functions and starving when she clearly has a vault of body fat to work through.

Obese people don't have many advantages when it comes to fat loss but they do have two very cool weapons in their armoury. The first is the ability to handle steep calorie deficits much better than overweight or leaner folk. They actually tend to lose a greater % of fat to lean mass even with a deficit which for a slimmer person would do exactly the opposite. So if they can handle a much lower calorie diet with no issues: cool beans. They can do exactly that for a while. If they lose more than the usually recommended 2 lbs per week then that's not a problem either (this "rule" is not a rule at all - it simply pertains to the relative energy yields from 1lb of muscle in comparison to 1lb of fat and how that correlates with a calorie deficit. A better estimate could be a loss of 1% total body weight per week.)

Why then would they consider a slower or different approach? Well for greater flexibility down the line as I have already explained. But also, of the other cool advantage obese people have: they have a greater range when it comes to a workable calorie deficit - and in many instances over and above the 1000 calorie below TDEE maximum usually seen recommended.

So for our 300 lbs woman she could eat anywhere from 1, 500 calories and still be in deficit.Or 2000. Or 2,500. Or 3,000. Some obese people excel with low calorie dieting. Some, in fact most I would wager, do not. They feel overly restricted, punished, despondent, low on energy (yes, even despite abundant energy stores) and like failures. This can lead to them falling off the wagon completely. Why shouldn't they utilise every advantage available to them especially given it will slow and surely disappear as they get leaner? A higher calorie approach means the change in their dietary habits doesn't have to be alien and flipped 180, it can be achieved with smaller, more easily incorporated changes. These build on each other to create a structured plan for life.

I feel some horrible messages get pushed at obese people from many angles, to include the random idiocy which is the "Biggest Loser" - that they must pull big weight loss numbers every week or they have failed, they must eat no more than the absolute minimum because of their slow metabolisms (when in fact studies have shown their metabolisms are equal if not quicker than their slimmer peers) that they must do hours and hours of cardio. It's utter rubbish. Fair enough if rapid weight loss is medically necessary (for example due to a high risk of organ failure) but in many case that simply does not apply. Just as obese people did not becomes that way over night so it is the case they do not need to lose it over night either.

As for TDEE calculators, they are not the holy grail. They provide a useful starting point which then have to be adjusted for real world world results - like many other approaches. This is not new. In addition, the additional variables give people more things to obsess about particularly when weight loss stops altogether "zomg - should my activity multiplier have been 1.23455875 instead of 1.37454543? I'm am sedentary except for Tuesdays, Thursdays and Bah Mitzvahs.." The more variables you have when you face a stall the harder it gets to identify the source of the problem. There is a lot to be said for simplicity.

One dimensional thinking rarely improves the world.

I have saved this as a screenshot on my mobile as it makes so much sense. I started at 240 lbs approx and found the 1200 cal route really hard to sustain. 1600-1800 for me is much better and so far so good. I do hit plateaus but get over them and would definitely describe myself as middle aged and sedentary. The last six months has been an eye opener for me. I still get frustrated when those ruddy scales don't move but the inch loss has been great... Thanks for the thread Tricksee!
  • Icanhazsugarnow
    Options
    I thought that I would elaborate, just a tiny bit. Hence the edit and partial rewrite. My question concerns calories, mostly how to increase your calorie intake without gaining all of the weight that you've lost back. Currently I am at just around 293 pounds with a goal of 199, just to start off with of course. So far I've been able to maintain a rapid weight loss of five pounds a week by simply consuming 1,200 calories a day with an hour and a half's worth of exercise! I know that losing five pounds a week is fine for right now since I have such a long way to go and am, although I am ashamed to admit it, morbidly obese. But once I reach my goal of 199, I want to increase my calorie intake to a set number which will allow me to lose the recommend two pounds a week. How can I do this without gaining everything that I've previously lost back? Should I do it gradually, by adding another 100 calories a week? What should I do?
  • tricksee
    Options
    Alright. I have a few questions. Currently I'm eating at around 1,200 calories daily. At least until I reach a weight that is under 200 pounds. My question is this, once I reach a goal weight of 199 how can I gradually raise my calorie intake to an amount that will allow me to lose 2 pounds a week without gaining everything I've lost back?

The key is basically experimentation and patience.

If a doctor, forum member or formula say you're set to lose 2lbs per week by eating or doing something particular, it doesn't mean you're gonna. Everybody needs to tweak and experiment slightly to hit their desired goals based on how their body works. Even when done, don't expect to see a perfect 2lbs lost every single week and get all butt-hurt if the scale doesn't budge.

You're currently eating 1200cals, right? Bump it up to 1900cals and check the scale/measurements after 4 weeks. Don't like the results? Lower or increase it by 150cals the following month.

It's a good idea to simply be happy with any kind of fat-loss whether it be on the scale or measurements over any period of time. This isn't a race. If you eat right and keep active then you're body will respond.
  • karendee4
    karendee4 Posts: 558 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the carb cycling info!! It is not doing much for me. I can go low but no carbs is very hard.

Maybe I will try calorie cycling next? that might trick my body out of a plateau.