You Should Study Nutrition - The Other Perspective

Options

Replies

• SanteMulberry
    SanteMulberry Posts: 3,202 Member
    Options
    Amen...other than exercise enthusiast...how are you qualified to make these types of statements?

Also...orthorexia is a recognized eating disorder. Just FYI...you know...from one professional to a....non-professional.

if anyone wanted proof that "professionals" can be just as wrong as we peons
    Orthorexia nervosa (also known as orthorexia) is not mentioned in the DSM[a], but was coined by Steven Bratman[1] to characterize people who develop an obsession with avoiding foods perceived to be unhealthy.[2][3]

DSM stands for Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders

There is already a LOT of controversy over the DSM-5. And it isn't even due to be published till May. Even a lot of shrinks disagree with each other on the "mental disorders" listed. A great many of the "disorders" are preposterous. Here's a link to a website for an organization of psychiatrists, M.D.s and psychologists who are trying to bring some sanity back to diagnosis and treatment in the whole mental health field (I hope that tips everyone's irony meter). http://www.cchrint.org/psychiatric-disorders/psychiatrists-on-lack-of-any-medical-or-scientific-tests/ One thing is sure, the new DSM is bound to be a bonanza for Big Pharma. The corporate shills who run the big pharmaceutical houses have figured out that a lifetime of psychiatric drugs in the life of an individual is VERY big $$$
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 9,950 Member
    Options
    I'm the anti science guy. Eat healthy.............now pay me?:happy: lol.
  • leighann881
    leighann881 Posts: 371
    Options
    In some states the only ones licensed to give out nutritional advice are Dietitians. Technically even personal trainers should not be giving out nutritional advice unless they have training to meet licensure standards. I'm nut sure about the standards in NY, but a cursory glance looks like there is a license requirement.

I'd say get a degree in Dietetics or exercise physiology and go from there, or move to IL that is allowing even unlicensed individuals to make recommendations on tube feeds and IV feeding, horror of horrors! :noway:

In all fairness this is crap..... There are so many people on this board that emphatically preach their methods without any licensure, etc. There are others on here that say, "hey, this worked for me and my friend so it might work for you."

Coachreddy isn't doing anything different than that.... He is giving his opinion.... you don't like it.... but on this board the only "qualifications" needed to give support and advice are personal experience. Take it or leave it....
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,566 Member
    Options
    Whenever someone wants to bring 'science' into the argument, just remember the Earth used to be flat...
    Which is why it's called science. It's reevaluates and WILL correct information. Can't say that about lots of people's opinions. Don't dismiss science because it may actually disagree with what one may believe.

A.C.E. Certified Personal/Group FitnessTrainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

I have no horse in this race. My only point is that if no one challenged science we'd still be living on a flat planet. There is good points on both sides of the nutrition argument. If there wasn't, there would be only one side.
    Actually it was science that helped to prove it was round. And if you look at the actual history of the saying, only a few thought the Earth was actually flat.
    I believe where failure in nutrition happens is that extreme views try to convince others that their argument is absolutely correct. That goes with just about everything in life. I can say with confidence that the majority of the people on here and in the world are probably somewhere in the middle, and I'd rather appeal to them then try to debate with an extreme view since they'll more than likely NEVER change their stance.

IDEA Fitness member
  • LolBroScience
    LolBroScience Posts: 4,537 Member
    Options
    In some states the only ones licensed to give out nutritional advice are Dietitians. Technically even personal trainers should not be giving out nutritional advice unless they have training to meet licensure standards. I'm nut sure about the standards in NY, but a cursory glance looks like there is a license requirement.

I'd say get a degree in Dietetics or exercise physiology and go from there, or move to IL that is allowing even unlicensed individuals to make recommendations on tube feeds and IV feeding, horror of horrors! :noway:

In all fairness this is crap..... There are so many people on this board that emphatically preach their methods without any licensure, etc. There are others on here that say, "hey, this worked for me and my friend so it might work for you."

Coachreddy isn't doing anything different than that.... He is giving his opinion.... you don't like it.... but on this board the only "qualifications" needed to give support and advice are personal experience. Take it or leave it....

Offering up advice on a message board is simply an opinion. Preaching it to "clients" that you are liable for is different.
  • CoachReddy
    CoachReddy Posts: 3,949 Member
    Options

Offering up advice on a message board is simply an opinion. Preaching it to "clients" that you are liable for is different.

How bout you all worry about your own **** and trust that I've got mine under control. K? Though I appreciate the concern.
  • CoachReddy
    Options
    Whenever someone wants to bring 'science' into the argument, just remember the Earth used to be flat...
    Which is why it's called science. It's reevaluates and WILL correct information. Can't say that about lots of people's opinions. Don't dismiss science because it may actually disagree with what one may believe.

IDEA Fitness member

I have no horse in this race. My only point is that if no one challenged science we'd still be living on a flat planet. There is good points on both sides of the nutrition argument. If there wasn't, there would be only one side.
    Actually it was science that helped to prove it was round. And if you look at the actual history of the saying, only a few thought the Earth was actually flat.
    I believe where failure in nutrition happens is that extreme views try to convince others that their argument is absolutely correct. That goes with just about everything in life. I can say with confidence that the majority of the people on here and in the world are probably somewhere in the middle, and I'd rather appeal to them then try to debate with an extreme view since they'll more than likely NEVER change their stance.

IDEA Fitness member

the problem is that for some reason y'all view me as extreme, when I eat the way most people in the world did not only 50, 60 years ago - before the advent of processed foods. tell me - what was extreme about grandma's chicken stew? lol
  • CoachDreesTraining
    CoachDreesTraining Posts: 223 Member
    Options

IDEA Fitness member

IDEA Fitness member

Yes, very true. Just like politics.

I think both sides of the debate are much closer than they may want to believe.
  • ninerbuff
    Options

IDEA Fitness member

the problem is that for some reason y'all view me as extreme, when I eat the way most people in the world did not only 50, 60 years ago - before the advent of processed foods. tell me - what was extreme about grandma's chicken stew? lol
    Depends on how your grandma made it.:laugh: Mine made it with MSG and salt in high amounts. I think where you're off on perception is that IIFYM people eat nothing but crap, when in truth 80% of what is eaten is usually whole foods with vegetables and fruits. 20% of it is the processed crap, but even then I would bet that the processed is of the "lesser" evils.

IDEA Fitness member
  • rjmudlax13
    rjmudlax13 Posts: 909 Member
    Options
    Orthorexic is defined by Alan Aragon as “an unhealthy obsession with eating healthy food.”

This is a very dumbed down definition and doesn't represent what orthorexia truly is. Most of the time people who are orthorexic will continue to eliminate food groups they deem as unhealthy. This obsession can lead to malnutrition when critical nutrients may be eliminated from the diet.

When you don't include the entire definition, then you make it sound as if he is hating on people who like nutritious foods. That's not the case. There is a line that can be crossed when stressing over "clean" foods becomes unhealthy.

What is it called when people are obsessed with arguing or "being right?" It seems to be more of a problem around these parts.
  • CoachReddy
    Options

IDEA Fitness member

Depends on how your grandma made it.:laugh: Mine made it with MSG and salt in high amounts. I think where you're off on perception is that IIFYM people eat nothing but crap, when in truth 80% of what is eaten is usually whole foods with vegetables and fruits. 20% of it is the processed crap, but even then I would bet that the processed is of the "lesser" evils.

IDEA Fitness member

i've never said that's the case.
  • ninerbuff
    Options

IDEA Fitness member

IDEA Fitness member

Okay then here's a chance to actually clear it up. What's your actual view of IIFYM?

IDEA Fitness member
  • CoachReddy
    Options

IDEA Fitness member

IDEA Fitness member

Okay then here's a chance to actually clear it up. What's your actual view of IIFYM?

IDEA Fitness member

I think that the concept behind IIFYM is completely sound. ~80% of your foods being from whole food sources and ~20% from whatever the hell you want that makes you happy and fits within your macros as discretionary calories. This is what IIFYM is meant to be, and it's the way its defined by many who subscribe to it. Frankly I subscribe to this theory myself!

Love that

What I don't love is the bastardization of the phrase IIFYM to include people that DON'T adhere to the above. Just to use an example because he's got a thick skin and won't mind, jonnythan - who i argue with quite frequently - eats a diet of almost entirely processed foods, so he does NOT fit the above description. However, he labels himself as one of the IIFYM folks, which gives OTHERS a skewed perception of what IIFYM means. It makes people think that an all-processed diet is just as good as the 80/20 diet that IIFYM really prescribes. That make sense?
  • ninerbuff
    Options

IDEA Fitness member

IDEA Fitness member

IDEA Fitness member

I think that the concept behind IIFYM is completely sound. ~80% of your foods being from whole food sources and ~20% from whatever the hell you want that makes you happy and fits within your macros as discretionary calories. This is what IIFYM is meant to be, and it's the way its defined by many who subscribe to it. Frankly I subscribe to this theory myself!

Love that

What I don't love is the bastardization of the phrase IIFYM to include people that DON'T adhere to the above. Just to use an example because he's got a thick skin and won't mind, jonnythan - who i argue with quite frequently - eats a diet of almost entirely processed foods, so he does NOT fit the above description. However, he labels himself as one of the IIFYM folks, which gives OTHERS a skewed perception of what IIFYM means. It makes people think that an all-processed diet is just as good as the 80/20 diet that IIFYM really prescribes. That make sense?
    Okay got it.

IDEA Fitness member
  • Bridget0927
    Bridget0927 Posts: 438 Member
    Options
    Bump to read later, if this is anything like the scare tactic garbage on netfilx tho about food so help me i will..........

not pay any atention to it :-)
  • pinkperfume
    Options

IDEA Fitness member

IDEA Fitness member

Actually, it wasn't science which first discovered the world was round vs flat. It was Christopher Columbus who discovered it and spread it to the world. One theory, proven correct. Science came later and confirmed what Christopher already proved. As you can see science is sometimes, "behind the times". I'm waiting for them to get caught up on proving and exposing how dangerous all the processed food is that everyone so frequently consumes.
  • pinkperfume
    Options

IDEA Fitness member

IDEA Fitness member

Chicken stew 50 to 60 yrs ago was not made with MSG. It was made by butchering a chicken you probably raised yourself and which was not fed growth hormones. Veggies were from the garden. And the broth came from adding vinegar and bones to the stew. The vinegar drew out the calcium from the bones and the chicken meat also added to create the broth. The bones were then removed and you had stew. Now days, ppl add bullion cubes to make broth. It's time to get back to the basics.

Cancer cases have risen every year for the past 30 years. There is a reason for that.
  • sweet_lotus
    sweet_lotus Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    Cancer cases have risen every year for the past 30 years. There is a reason for that.

BS!

http://www.cdc.gov/Features/dsCancerAnnualReport/
  • leighann881
    leighann881 Posts: 371
    Options
    IDEA Fitness member

Do you paste this at the bottom of all your posts?
  • pinkperfume
    Options

I think you misunderstood. Your study says "DEATH rates" from cancer has decreased. My original post said "CANCER CASES" have increased. Death rates from cancer are irrelevant to this topic.

And if it isn't scary enough that I say cancer cases in the U.S. are on the rise, I'l add a number of cancer cases from the U.S. last year alone (2012). 1,638,910 reported cases in one year in the U.S. This info is from the American Cancer Societies Website.

What's more, the National Cancer Institute's website says obesity increases cancer.

I think the debate here is whether the toxins in foods cause cancer in the body and thus why we should eliminate processed foods and eat clean/whole foods. Decreasing obesity would be one proof. To look at how the pesticides etc in foods harms our bodies is up for debate. I prefer not to risk it. Something that kills bugs, isn't something I want to eat.

This is a list from the National Cancer Institute which shows the things in foods, deodorants, etc which may be linked to cancer. It says in here that eating toxic foods may be linked to cancer. This is why I prefer to eat as clean as possible and ensure the products I use (deodorant) etc are from pure REAL products.

http://www.cancer.gov/cancertopics/factsheet/Risk