My Fiance doesn't "Fancy" me anymore!? :-(

Options

Replies

• asclavijo
    asclavijo Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    When it comes to a loving relationship between two people, it's what's on the inside that counts. Now, there are 2 side to every story and we didn't hear the tone or context of this conversation so it's not easy to judge.

He said he didn't fancy you anymore... that's a huge problem... run for the hills! If he doesn't love you for who you are then there's not much to the relationship. You are who you are and don't evey let anyone try to change you.

Now, you said you've been stresse at work. a couple weeks... month or two... ok... but it's been over a year! It's not changing right now! So you have to decide what your priorities are and understand that life is about choices. You are making choices to not excercise and not eat healthy. You are down on yourself because of it.

Time to take a hard look at your priorities and choices. This helps me tremendously when life is getting me down...

Serenity Prayer
    God, grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change,
    The courage to change the things I can,
    And wisdom to know the difference.

You can only change within yourself. You cannot change him... Good luck, girl!
  • tapirfrog
    tapirfrog Posts: 616 Member
    Options
    I am so sorry.

This is affecting you so badly that he should be afraid for the future of the relationship. If he is not afraid, then he probably isn't the personality type you should be with long-term.

I do understand that people can't scold themselves into desiring someone else. I do also understand that people can't scold each other into physical perfection.

It just seems like his way of handling this and your way of handling it are so far apart that it would make more sense not to move ahead with the wedding plans until you get this resolved -- either figuring out different ways to communicate, or splitting up.
  • AnJulNZ
    AnJulNZ Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    This is what has stuck with me. I had a fiance like that and he was a bully too. I was constantly scared of how he would react to my every move and did everything I could to try to change myself to please him. It made me so unhappy.

Whether he fancies you or not I don't think it's the issue. It was about him having power over you and making you feel like *kitten*.

This is just my opinion but you are young and beautiful and deserve to have someone who thinks the sun shines from you.
    ^^ this^^
    You have the right to be happy in your own body, and not one single soul on this earth has the right to make you feel less than what you deserve.
  • tapirfrog
    tapirfrog Posts: 616 Member
    Options
    If he cared a damn he could have had something healthy prepared for you to eat when you got home, not sit with a face like a slapped *kitten* whining about "downward spirals" and not fancying you.

Maybe just print this out and carry it around with you. It condenses the whole concept of teamwork into one sentence.
  • glovepuppet
    glovepuppet Posts: 1,713 Member
    Options
    how is being with him improving your life?

if it's not, 'but i love him' isn't enough.
  • jbonow1231
    jbonow1231 Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    I totally agree. If he was concerned about her "downward spiral" given her increasing stress and work, he could be stepping up and offering to prepare meals or snacks so she isn't as tempted, or offering something helpful to keep her on track.

What did he do for dinner that night? Did he himself eat out? Did he cook dinner for himself but not you? Did he just not eat?

Depending on the answer you have - hypocrisy, a lack of caring, or unhealthy behavior.

But - she weighed as much as she did now when they met, so - arguably how did he "fancy her" to begin with, if he only truly appreciated her body after she'd lost 20 lbs, partly by starving herself? Is that more about the appearance, or more about the fact that she was "obeying" the regimen and behavior he expects of her?

If you want to save this relationship, OP, I'd suggest the possibility of some kind of counseling, as this sounds like just the tip of the iceberg to potential problems if his way of expressing disappointment is emotionally abusive and blackmail-ish.
  • REDI4CHANGE60
    Options
    He was honest, and also, in being honest, revealed that he is actually a shallow person who isn't a very good partner. Be thankful that you didn't marry him.

This! Very good point!
  • BaconMD
    BaconMD Posts: 1,165 Member
    Options
    I'm really sorry you have to go through this. It is very much not an indicator of a loving relationship. As another poster said, you're blessed to have discovered this before the wedding. A divorce is often very messy and hurtful, especially when kids may be involved...

Just as comparison, years ago my wife put on a bunch of weight, and I didn't even notice until she had taken a large amount of it back off again. I loved her - and believe me, "fancied" her every night, sometimes twice - throughout it all. And she did likewise as I ballooned up to a mystery weight over 330lbs, and am now working my way back down.

Find someone who loves you and wants to fancy you because you are who you are, not how much you weigh.

If you choose to work it out, I wish you the best of luck.
  • dawningr
    dawningr Posts: 387 Member
    Options
    I recently saw an interview with country star Miranda Lambert. She realized that she had packed on a few pounds (easy to do with her petite stature). She asked her husband "Why didn't you tell me I was getting fat?" his response "It's not my job to tell you you're fat, it's my job to tell you you're beautiful". :love:
  • DebraLosesIt
    DebraLosesIt Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    I recently saw an interview with country star Miranda Lambert. She realized that she had packed on a few pounds (easy to do with her petite stature). She asked her husband "Why didn't you tell me I was getting fat?" his response "It's not my job to tell you you're fat, it's my job to tell you you're beautiful". :love:

we all need a Blake shelton!
  • bekah818
    bekah818 Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    I don't have any advice, as you're the one in the situation, and it's you who knows him, so you'll have the best feel for how things may go.

My thought was at least he was honest though, some people may say he's a jerk or mean or whatever, but to me it is better to be truthful than to string someone along, and just make the pain worse later on. Whilst it may not feel nice now, imagine if he dropped that bombshell when you've just got married. just had a child etc...

I know you're getting alot of mixed feedback, some people are saying he's a jerk, insensitive,and some are saying "good thing he's being honest"... But I like the quote above here the best. No one knows him better than you, we can only go off of what you told us. But in my opinion, let's be real for a second, we have to understand that physical attraction matters...it's not everything, but it still matters. If he went up 4 or 5 pant sizes and became jiggly and unmotivated and didn't try much, you probably wouldn't "fancy" him much either. I'm sure he loves you, but understand that men are visually stimulated creatures and women tend to be more emotionally stimulated. If you're body is changing and you can help it by picking a better dinner or fitting in 10-20 mins of exercise a day (no matter how busy you are, you have at least 10 mins to spare to get your heart rate up and burn calories) then do it. Do it for youself first and also because you want to for him. And it should be the same on his end, he should be healthy for himself and for you too. It's hard to be around someone who's unmotivated all the time, and that's where his frustration is coming from. Maybe for the sake of your relationship try a little harder to work on becoming motivated again. But you know him best, if he's being an *kitten*, then that's a different story. But it could be his frustration coming out due to all the changes and you sort of just "giving up"....I'd be frustrated too.

But anyways, good luck! And please be encouraged :)
  • fantasticelastic
    fantasticelastic Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    Jesus whats he going to say to you after you've had four kids and your belly looks like an old womans *kitten* ????
    Loving someone is more than just physical...especially as your just a size 12 !!!
  • Kimdbro
    Kimdbro Posts: 922 Member
    Options
    Probably cold but It sounds like it's already over to me. But it has more to do with insecurities and being able to feel comfortable with the one you're with rather than the actual weight.

Red flag to me.

^^ agree^^

It's one thing to be disappointed with how one's partner's appearance may have changed, it's another to actually say it to them. It's cold hearted and mean. It's not like you'd gained 100 pounds, 20lbs??!!! You've got to be f-ing kidding me. This means that for the rest of your life you're going to be obsessing over any weight fluxuation you ever have, forever wondering where the tipping point is when he 'doesn't fancy you anymore' It's not the fact that he doesn't like the way you look.... looks matter, but they aren't the only thing that matters, and frankly anyone that would be ok with hurting your feelings that harshly over 20lbs has no compassion. Giant red flag.
  • LauraDotts
    LauraDotts Posts: 732 Member
    Options
    If he is truly being honest by saying he doesn't fancy you anymore then it's time for him to leave. A marriage with someone who doesn't fancy you, regardless of the reason, is misery beyond belief.

If he is still having sex with you then he's a liar and saying he doesn't fancy you is just being cruel. I wouldn't fancy a cruel liar.
  • mimieon
    mimieon Posts: 182 Member
    Options
    Can people stop praising this kind of "honesty" ? Being honest is only difficult/some kind of accomplishment if you care at all how the receiving person feels about it, and he clearly didn't, because if he did then he wouldn't have pressured her and told her in these ways.
  • RhodRhod
    RhodRhod Posts: 109
    Options
    Love has nothing to do with physical appearance. Lust is what everybody's talking about that is supporting what he said to you. When you love somebody and there is a problem like this there are ways of talking about it without hurting the person you supposedly love. You don't hurt the people you love and if you can't understand this then you don't know what real love is. You may think you do but.... As the years pass our bodies change. Some of us put on extra weight or maybe something dreadful happens to you or maybe even medical issues but when you truly love someone none of this will matter. I wish you nothing but the best but I think maybe there are more issues going on here than just your weight and I would do some heavy thinking if I were you.
  • PaperDahlia
    PaperDahlia Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    I think if you really want to have any hope of a healthy relationship... it's time to consider some counseling as a couple and also as individuals. I say this with sincere honesty and your best interests in mind. It really can help...

On another note, I often find that it is true that others only say things that reflect what we feel about ourselves inside. You admit you are no longer happy with yourself, and his words seem to support that finding. You must find your self love again.
    It is the one thing that will support you, no matter what.

Hon, I've been through it all. normal, starved, bullied, fat, thin, pregnant.. and I still haven't figured it all out. In my case, I'm lucky enough to have a man in my life who loves me unconditionally... but as for everything else, it's always a work in progress. I do know, however, that finding inner peace with yourself is the start of healing. If this relationship is worth as much as I perceive it is to you both-- you will want to work on communication and support. Counseling is the way to do that, it lets everyone air whatever has been on their mind and really begin to listen to one another-- and to open the means to communication and rebuilding the relationship in a healthy way, as well as each individuals relationship with themselves. I wish you luck.. i really do.
  • glovepuppet
    glovepuppet Posts: 1,713 Member
    Options
    But - she weighed as much as she did now when they met, so - arguably how did he "fancy her" to begin with, if he only truly appreciated her body after she'd lost 20 lbs, partly by starving herself? Is that more about the appearance, or more about the fact that she was "obeying" the regimen and behavior he expects of her?
    this kind of person makes a terrible parent.
  • muktyfitness
    muktyfitness Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    I could sense the tension, I knew he wasn't happy with my choices that night, and voices he has been "disappointed" with my lack of enthusiasm for exercise and diet for several months now.

This is what has stuck with me. I had a fiance like that and he was a bully too. I was constantly scared of how he would react to my every move and did everything I could to try to change myself to please him. It made me so unhappy.

Whether he fancies you or not I don't think it's the issue. It was about him having power over you and making you feel like *kitten*.

This is just my opinion but you are young and beautiful and deserve to have someone who thinks the sun shines from you.
    Agree 100% with this. Who cares he fancy you or not, its your body and if you are comfortable that is all it matters. but I suspect you are not comfortable with your current body, so I will emphasis on that and try to be healthy for myself rather then Just because" does not Fancy you" this is not the way you tell your partner even if it is true, this could be damaging.
  • Improvised
    Improvised Posts: 925 Member
    Options
    First you're hot. Second pack his crap up and leave it on the lawn. (If you want to be real spiteful, sleep with his best friend). Then find a guy that will like you for you and not just the aesthetics. Sounds like this guy is shallow and it's making you eat unhealthy, don't skip meals, just eat healthier foods. Good luck.
    Ha! And sleeping with his best friend would make her less shallow? Puh-lease.