another fat shaming post

Options
(my computer crashed the first time I typed this out, so hopefully it wont this time)

Do you consider progress pics and before and after shots a form of fat shaming? I read a blog post about it on tumblr where the author was a heavy woman who hates the idea that the fat version of someone is not good enough for everybody. Most of the comments that agreed were from heavier people who say we should love ourselves no matter what size we are and that getting thin is a way to keep women weak and helpless (lol at weak and helpless). Another comment stated that she stopped posting progress pics because the best progress is what you cannot see. Do you agree?

Do you think it's a form of fat shaming or do you think it's motivating?
Why do you post or dont post progress pictures?

Replies

• quirkytizzy
    quirkytizzy Posts: 4,052 Member
    Options
    Motivating. Shows me what other people can do, and if they can do it, so can I.
  • ldrosophila
    ldrosophila Posts: 7,512 Member
    Options
    i agree but I'm angry and bitter
  • jennaworksout
    jennaworksout Posts: 1,739 Member
    Options
    Its motivation!!! and proud of my accomplishment and hard work.
  • Seaglass1123
    Seaglass1123 Posts: 500 Member
    Options
    It is motivation for others and myself to never go back there.
  • dsmpunk
    dsmpunk Posts: 262 Member
    Options
    People want to boast when they lose weight and perhaps show others that may be in despair that it IS possible to change.

Some folks are just oversensitive and insecure so they hate. :)
  • Siekobilly
    Siekobilly Posts: 401 Member
    Options
    I don't think it's fat shaming at all. I actually just posted my progress picture of what I've accomplished so far. People use it for motivation to see what others can accomplish, as well as what they themselves have accomplished. That's like saying posting times from two different runs, where you do better in the second, is a form of jog shaming. It's progress, not an insult.
  • kagenw
    kagenw Posts: 260 Member
    Options
    I truly think that it's a great show of the effort and work that the individual has gone to and the accomplishment that they've reached. I say, let them show of their work, they've earned it.
  • alglenn2013
    alglenn2013 Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    I love the pics everyone posts!

I don't currently have any progress to show, but the people who have worked so hard, some for years, to attain a body that they are proud of and a story that will hopefully motivate others. I DO NOT think this is fat shaming. I think it is encouraging people to eat healthy and a chance to show off a little. When you have worked so hard at something and achieved so much you want to shout it from the rooftops!
  • _AllieCat_
    _AllieCat_ Posts: 515 Member
    Options
    I see your point about the fat shaming but progress photos should be more about health than vanity and looks. It's simple: carrying around too much extra fat is unhealthy. In a way, yes that is shameful. Not towards the individual that is overweight, but pertaining to their health extra body fat negative.
  • UsedToBeHusky
    UsedToBeHusky Posts: 15,229 Member
    Options
    Whether or not it is motivating is dependent upon an individuals goals. We all came her to shed weight, therefore, your responses will pretty much resonate with motivating. However, apparently this lady who made these comments intends to stay big. But rather than her being demotivated, because she really isn't motivated in the first place, it's more likely that it is causing her to feel some measure of guilt for treating her body so badly.
  • RunHardBeStrong
    RunHardBeStrong Posts: 33,069 Member
    Options
    People want to boast when they lose weight and perhaps show others that may be in despair that it IS possible to change.

Some folks are just oversensitive and insecure so they hate. :)

This. I have found most haters are reflecting their feelings about themselves onto the person they are jealous of.
  • kluedesigns
    kluedesigns Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    i don't think its either shaming nor motivating.

when people put up progress pics or just a post that states how much they lost i'm genuinely happy and thrilled for them. i don't read into their motivation for losing the weight or whether they have body issues or not. i've known people of every size with body image issues - so size means nothing to me.

as far as myself, i have always believed in my self worth and it never had anything to do with my size or weight. i've been super skinny, healthy weight, and overweight - none of that changed my opinion of myself.

we all, if you live long enough, will age, suffer hardships, and experience health issues - all of these things can cause you to gain weight and exercise less - it doesn't mean your weak, lack motivation, or have no self worth.
  • synthomarsh
    synthomarsh Posts: 189 Member
    Options
    totally motivating, why shouldn't someone be proud of their accomplishment. I don't think anyone wants to get fat we are all here with goals of loosing weight or building muscle I haven't found the group that is trying to add fat. If a heavy person gets offended by someone else changing their body, they need to grow up, and instead of hating on someone else's happiness because they didn't accomplish it for themselves yet. sounds like simple case of jealousy
  • Pixi_Rex
    Pixi_Rex Posts: 1,676 Member
    Options
    I do not see how it is fat shaming. It does make me a little sad when I read "here are the before pictures, I am so grossed out, ashamed, disgusted etc. etc. etc. about them so be nice." While I understand how people are not happy with where they come from I do think they need to be nicer to themselves - yes they WERE fat but look at them now you know?

I personally find them very encouraging and I use them myself, no shaming its nice to see the progress that i do not see myself everyday.
  • silvergurl518
    silvergurl518 Posts: 4,123 Member
    Options
    i always feel that before/during or before/after pics are motivating and inspirational. yes, husky mentioned that since we're on a fitness site, we're here to lose weight/get healthy. that usually dictates the nature of the responses one sees on threads relating to weight loss.
  • JennKie1
    JennKie1 Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    I think it's very motivating. I'm guessing that the people who consider it "fat-shaming" are people that secretly are ashamed of how they look and that they've not successfully done anything to change it. I look at my before photos and it reminds me that I need to keep pushing forward because I don't want to be that person anymore. :noway:

I agree that we should love ourselves no matter how we look. However, I decided that I love myself enough to get back to a healthy weight so I can live a better life.

I haven't posted any of my photos simply because I am technologically challenged and can't figure out how to use photo bucket to get them on here........:blushing:
  • thatsillyshana
    Options
    O.O this is my first post that didn't die right away!!!
    I don't think that they're fat shaming either because I don't see a problem with people wanting change. But if I was overweight and loved it, I would probably hate that society couldn't view me as more than a before picture.
  • SusanLovesToEat
    SusanLovesToEat Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    If one considers that the photos show a person's personal progress toward their individual goal and are not necessarily a depiction of a "non-fat" person (whatever that is) then it is in no way a "shaming" but an affirmation.

Personally, my "thin" weight and "thin" photos are probably someone else's "fat" photos...and visa versa.
  • tenajh
    tenajh Posts: 208 Member
    Options
    If I knew how to post photos, I would. It's like this for me: There is a pure and awesome beauty in a transformation and people like to see progress. We are capable of a wide array of feelings and emotions and YES opinions, but most of us appreciate progress and desire to feel content. I feel empowered to see such progress with before and after photos. Self love shouldn't only be about appearance, if it is; then I would say that is a shallow person.
  • iulia_maddie
    iulia_maddie Posts: 2,780 Member
    Options
    I find those inspiring. They are usually proof of hard work and determination.