Calling out all of you IIFYM Preachers

Options

Replies

• ncl1313
    ncl1313 Posts: 237 Member
    Options
    Right...one less M&M today, 15 less by next week, M&M's only on occasion after a month.

Assuming consistency. Doing it that way is hellishly lazy and an indicator that the whole being healthier just isn't being taken seriously.

Oh sure, I ate terribly today, but you shoulda seen how bad I was yesterday! It's still eating crap, even if on paper it's marginally better crap compared to the previously preferred crap. Hey though, if eating that works for you, and you don't mind any lasting effects, then go for it. You aren't my kin, so I don't really care. Trying to call it healthy or healthi"er" is wrong though. It's eating to mediocrity.

I still don't get how changing from "bad" to "mediocre" to "better" to "best" isn't progress, though. I guess if someone doesn't do things at your approved rate of change, then they are "hellishly lazy" and not taking their health seriously. I'm really glad my method works for me and doesn't require your stamp of approval. Let's compare notes in 40 years and see who "wins".
  • DatMurse
    DatMurse Posts: 1,501 Member
    Options
    You need to stop preaching the whole bull**** about it doesnt matter about what food you eat.
    I have followed IIFYM for a long time, before it became a big fad,(no hipster)
    IT should be IIFYMAM! If it fits your macros and micronutrients!
    It does matter, you do need to hit the MICRONUTRIENT targets regardless.
    You cannot obtain all of it from a multivitamin

You are drifting from the original point of IIFYM. it allows moderation and is sustainable. It wasnt meant for you to eat mcdonalds everyday and throw in a protein shake to hit your daily amounts.

Another factor is for those who are cutting. They food that is chosen for the paleo diet is the most ideal food for helping you diet due to the satiety.

There is some truth behind paleo diet. Regardless if I think eliminating food groups from your diet is not a way to live.

Meat and potatoes will always be superb due to the fulfilling of calorie for calorie. I am still waiting for more satiety studies to be published.

its like comparing a bagel to a donut. both of it provides a crap fullness but 1 bagel is much more filling than a donut, which is about the same calories.
    you would have to eat about 1.5 donuts to get the filling that 1 bagel would provide you. so you would be consuming 2x the calories.

Dont get me wrong. Calories will determine if we lose weight or not. That is not the only key player in sustaining a cut though. Hunger plays a huge role.

You are destroying the IIFYM name and original cause. You need to understand that moderation is the key for everything and you are no better than all of the other diet extremists.

in b4 mad broscientist dont fully understand IIFYM..macro and micro are of the same thing...i see the force is scrong with you...another twig preaching how to get big and healthy.
    Are you calling me a twig or the other people? I am lost

im saying ur an idiot
    This is coming from the guy who says micro and macro is the same thing?

go back to the misc

BTW you have to be the first person to call me a twig

learn nutrition and lift a weight before you take a shirtless pic. anyone that takes IIFYM seriously knows you count micro...welcome to nutrition i see you havent been here before.

Im sure you know quite a bit about nutrition considering you said micros and macros are the same.

Lol you make it sound like I cant even lift.
    Strong talk from a guy hiding behind bert
  • EdwarddeVere
    Options
    I eat what I want and I am cut just fine... thus your argument is mute. Good try though.
  • EmmaKarney
    EmmaKarney Posts: 690 Member
    Options
    But I do see IIFYM followers who eat as much sugary, high fat foods as they can and wear it like a badge of honor.

This is what grinds my gears.

I fully support the notion of IIFWYM... but I still prefer not eat processed food overloaded with synthetic ingredients (and by that I mean ingrediants with long chemical names that do not even come close to resembling any food item I might have in my food cupboard.

If it fits with my macros and is real food - I'll eat it!
  • CoachReddy
    CoachReddy Posts: 3,949 Member
    Options
    This is stupid..I have a 40/30/30 macro goal and I watch certain micros as well for health reasons...I cannot eat a bunch of junk food an meet my macro goals. However, I can eat a lot of nutritionally dense, whole foods and still have a piece of ****ing cake. Again..this is just stupid and I don't know why it comes up about once per week. Most people who do IIFYM eat pretty damned clean relative to the SAD. I don't know anyone who does IIFYM and just eats **** all the time.

Exactly though... thats the point. Alot of IIFYMers are actually eating "right" just like you.. and still having a piece of ****ing cake (pardon my french)... so why are so many promoting IIFYM as though its all cake and no good foods? Though I would disagree with the TONE of the OP... I agree with what he's trying to say.

Who exactly is saying it's all cake?

No one says that. It's a straw man people set up to attack IIFYM.

Everyone, y'all can make your own decisions. But just know what it is you're actually agreeing with. Please peruse jonnythan's diary. If you've got no issues with it, then carry on!

i'm off to the farmer's market. for realzies this time. come on, i HAD to check it once more before heading out. :tongue:
  • jonnythan
    jonnythan Posts: 10,161 Member
    Options
    I have to agree with alot of this. IIFYM wouldn't get under my skin near as much as it does if the people who promoted it would admit that there is a diet change happening. Many act like they eat pizza and donuts all day every day, and belittle the people who are eating "cleaner." Or they get there feathers ruffled if you say that eating a whole food is better for you than eating Mickey D's. Come on... just be honest here.

I will. I eat probably 85% "clean" (working on getting better)... yesterday, I ate a pizza from Subway- and it fit in my macros... I can do this without feeling bad because its the exception.. not the rule.

I don't think I see anyone doing that.

BTW if you could eat a pizza from Subway and fit it into your macros yesterday, you could do it every day if you wanted to ;)

That's the point! Don't be afraid of specific foods because someone tells you they're "unclean"!

LOL Come on! Your ticker alone does it! :)
    And I'm not afraid of foods that someone says is unclean... I listen to my body and know that pizza everday won't cut it. I feel awesome when I eat good foods... and sluggish at worse foods.

My ticker says I eat pizza and donuts all day?

No.

My diary is open. Look at the foods I consume. McDonald's and ice cream are there regularly. I haven't had a donut or pizza in quite a while.

The point of the ticker is to show that I can enjoy those places and foods regularly in the context of a healthy diet. I don't eat pizza and donuts all day any more than I eat quarter pounders or french fries all day. It's not hard to fit McDonald's into every single day if you make smart choices there. Same with Taco Bell. Same with ice cream.
  • alishacupcake
    alishacupcake Posts: 419 Member
    Options
    I have to agree with alot of this. IIFYM wouldn't get under my skin near as much as it does if the people who promoted it would admit that there is a diet change happening. Many act like they eat pizza and donuts all day every day, and belittle the people who are eating "cleaner." Or they get there feathers ruffled if you say that eating a whole food is better for you than eating Mickey D's. Come on... just be honest here.

I will. I eat probably 85% "clean" (working on getting better)... yesterday, I ate a pizza from Subway- and it fit in my macros... I can do this without feeling bad because its the exception.. not the rule.

THIS!! and, wait, your subway has PIZZA??!??! WT....?!

I really really like the pizza at Subway.
  • bookworm_847
    bookworm_847 Posts: 1,903 Member
    Options
    Why worry so much about what other people are doing? And better yet, why do you feel a need to label the way you eat by saying that you "Do IIFYM" or "Paleo" or "clean" or any of that? Just eat what you personally feel like eating and let others do the same. Who cares if someone else isn't eating the way that YOU think they should be eating based on a silly description?

I could say that I also do IIFYM or that I eat 95% "clean" unprocessed foods, blah blah blah... but it's unnecessary and exhausting to try to fit into a box like that. Heaven forbid that I say I eat "clean" and then I decide one day on a whim to have a Coke Zero because I'm really in the mood for one. Oh no! My whole identity is wrapped up in my dietary doctrine and now I'm not longer a true "clean eater"!

I'm being a bit facetious but you see my point; labels are silly, and worrying about OTHER people's dietary labels and whether or not they give something a 'bad name' is just a waste of your energy, don't you think? You didn't invent the term "IIFYM" so I don't see why you have such a personal sense of pride regarding the subject.

:flowerforyou: :drinker:
  • stealthq
    stealthq Posts: 4,298 Member
    Options
    I frequently watch the wild animals that roam my backyard. I don't believe any of them have ever captured a fleeing McDonalds cheeseburger or sprinting Snickers bar. They don't seem riddled with disease or cancer and diabetes from eating naturally and are lean and strong. So I personally will choose to continue eating like them, but it is a personal choice.

Know why? Those critters are dead not long after showing symptoms, not frolicking about. I promise you that wild animals get cancer, have strokes, contract infectious diseases, yadda, yadda. Not a good argument.
  • breeshabebe
    breeshabebe Posts: 580
    Options
    This is stupid..I have a 40/30/30 macro goal and I watch certain micros as well for health reasons...I cannot eat a bunch of junk food an meet my macro goals. However, I can eat a lot of nutritionally dense, whole foods and still have a piece of ****ing cake. Again..this is just stupid and I don't know why it comes up about once per week. Most people who do IIFYM eat pretty damned clean relative to the SAD. I don't know anyone who does IIFYM and just eats **** all the time.

Exactly though... thats the point. Alot of IIFYMers are actually eating "right" just like you.. and still having a piece of ****ing cake (pardon my french)... so why are so many promoting IIFYM as though its all cake and no good foods? Though I would disagree with the TONE of the OP... I agree with what he's trying to say.

It may be straw man... and maybe you as individual promote something else... but when I go into a thread with IIFYM high fiving each other.. normally, they are talking about the great unnutritional foods that they get to eat. "A pizza from Subway fits into your Macros? Awesome... Well, a 2 pizza's with a gallon of icecream is what fits in mine. Booyah!"
  • EmmaKarney
    EmmaKarney Posts: 690 Member
    Options

Example
    Pizza=
    bread
    tomato sauce
    cheese
    meat

Spaghetti=
    pasta
    tomato sauce
    cheese
    ground beef.

Both pizza and spaghetti could be clean or unclean, depending on the ingredients.

Like - what is in the tomato sauce? Is it tomatoes and herbs? or is it sugar, flavourings, preservatives, colourings etc?

What is in the bread? is it whole grain flour, yeast salt and water? Or does it contain sugar and preservatives?
  • breeshabebe
    Options

THIS!! and, wait, your subway has PIZZA??!??! WT....?!

I really really like the pizza at Subway.

No lie... I prefer Subway pizza to any other pizza that you can get.
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    I frequently watch the wild animals that roam my backyard. I don't believe any of them have ever captured a fleeing McDonalds cheeseburger or sprinting Snickers bar. They don't seem riddled with disease or cancer and diabetes from eating naturally and are lean and strong. So I personally will choose to continue eating like them, but it is a personal choice.

Unless you're saying you're going to roam the streets barefoot, lie in wait for an animal to cross your path, catch it with your bare hands, rip it's flesh apart with your teeth and then consume it's flesh raw, I suggest you stop talking for a while

3gEGhq7.jpg
  • jonnythan
    jonnythan Posts: 10,161 Member
    Options

It may be straw man... and maybe you as individual promote something else... but when I go into a thread with IIFYM high fiving each other.. normally, they are talking about the great unnutritional foods that they get to eat. "A pizza from Subway fits into your Macros? Awesome... Well, a 2 pizza's with a gallon of icecream is what fits in mine. Booyah!"

Yes, and if you look at their diaries or talk to them about the food they eat, that's not all they eat. They are happy that their philosophies and opinions are flexible enough to eat those sorts of things when they want to. If I go and play tennis for 3 hours and have an extra 1000 calories to eat, I will gladly scarf down some pizza to make up those extra calories. But if you look at my diary, and others' diaries, you will see that's not what we live on or eat all the time. You'll see veggies, you'll see chicken breast, etc etc.

It is awesome to be able to eat those foods sometimes. Who doesn't love pizza? I wish I burned enough calories so that I could eat pizza every day. But I don't.
  • dfonte
    dfonte Posts: 263 Member
    Options
    if it fits your mouth
  • alishacupcake
    alishacupcake Posts: 419 Member
    Options

Unless you're saying you're going to roam the streets barefoot, lie in wait for an animal to cross your path, catch it with your bare hands, rip it's flesh apart with your teeth and then consume it's flesh raw, I suggest you stop talking for awhile

3gEGhq7.jpg

This and LOL
  • JUDDDing
    JUDDDing Posts: 1,367 Member
    Options
    At the end of the day, if someone is making changes in an attempt to lose weight and get healthier, than bravo to them regardless of whether that means a McDonalds every day.
    No.

Eating at McDonald's daily means that they aren't trying to lose weight and get healthier. They're trying slow suicide.

Salad with grilled chicken? :huh:

grilled chicken cooked in trans fats. :drinker:

Except there is no trans fat: http://nutrition.mcdonalds.com/getnutrition/nutritionfacts.pdf
  • Cr01502
    Cr01502 Posts: 3,614 Member
    Options

No they don't bother chasing the Mcdonald's cheeseburger or the snickers bar.

They usually just pick it out of the trash.

But I do have a couple of questions . . .

When you see a puddle of mud do you get on all fours and drink out of it?

Do you stop and nibble on your neighbors bird feeder?

When you eat worms do you wait for a rainy day and then pick them up off the ground or do you go digging for them?

If you do dig for them is that included in your TDEE or are those factored into your exercise calories?
  • BinaryPulsar
    BinaryPulsar Posts: 8,927 Member
    Options
    I haven't read all of the comments, so I don't know if some big drama has ensued or not. But, I am also a big fan of micro-nutrients. I'm not trying to lose weight. I care about my health, fitness and beauty. I like to have beautiful, youthful skin and healthy, luxurious hair, along with my trim and fit body, so I am a fan of micro-nutrients. Which isn't to say that I always get as much as I know I should. I am also ok about eating treats and "junk" food in moderation.
  • breeshabebe
    Options

Yes, and if you look at their diaries or talk to them about the food they eat, that's not all they eat. They are happy that their philosophies and opinions are flexible enough to eat those sorts of things when they want to. If I go and play tennis for 3 hours and have an extra 1000 calories to eat, I will gladly scarf down some pizza to make up those extra calories. But if you look at my diary, and others' diaries, you will see that's not what we live on or eat all the time. You'll see veggies, you'll see chicken breast, etc etc.

It is awesome to be able to eat those foods sometimes. Who doesn't love pizza? I wish I burned enough calories so that I could eat pizza every day. But I don't.

Exactly... so why don't you see as much promotion for a balanced diet as you do for "junk?" If IIFYMers eat chicken breast and veggies a good bit of the time (my guess is most of the time) then why aren't they promoting that as much as they do eating things like pizza? Cause no one wants to high-five over chicken and veggies?