Have you tried GLP1 medications and found it didn't work for you? We'd like to hear about your experiences, what you tried, why it didn't work and how you're doing now. Click here to tell us your story

What are you currently reading?

Replies

• alisonengland
    alisonengland Posts: 110 Member
    "The Blind Assassin" by Margaret Atwood. Just finished her "The Robber Bride" and loved it, but I am a bit of an Atwood fan.

I absolutely love The Robber Bride. I read it while working in Toronto and the hotel I was staying in was the next street to Margaret Atwood's house. I kept hoping I would bump into her!

Just read THE best book I have ever read, seriously/

A Fraction of the Whole by Steve Toltz.

700 pages but worth every word. Amazing prose, fantastic characterisation and a beautiful allegory of families and failure. I am seriously considering screwing this diet and eating 150 lbs of donuts so I can sit on Steve Toltz until he writes a sequel...
  • MFPfriend
    MFPfriend Posts: 1,121 Member
    "The Host" - Stephenie Meyer

Only about 100 pages in but I like it so far!!

For some reason, I could barely finish that book. I didn't find it all that interesting.
  • MFPfriend
    MFPfriend Posts: 1,121 Member
    "The Voice on the Radio" by Caroline Cooney - 3rd book in the series, I've got the next one ("what Janie Found") sitting here ready to start as soon as I finish this one!

Good books! I remember reading them a couple years ago, lol.
  • jbwegner
    jbwegner Posts: 254 Member
    Oh, I love this thread! I am such a book addict!

I recently read The Host by Stephanie Meyer. It is very different from Twilight, and it took me a while to get into it. But once I did, I was in love...so attached to the characters and the moral conflict. It's much more adult then Twilight. (I love em all!)

I just reread The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society-seriously, one of my fave books ever. So beautiful. It's set right after WWII. It's history, romance, funny, and provides great nostalgia for book lovers.

I also just finished Half-A**ed and Adventures of Diet Girl, both weight loss memoirs and hilarious!

I am a teacher, so I have lots of time to read right now! I may try to get through Atlas Shrugged AGAIN before school starts back!
  • TheMaidOfAstolat
    TheMaidOfAstolat Posts: 3,222 Member
    Insatiable by Meg Cabot, it's a pretty wonderful novel (think Twilight/Sookie hating woman meets a real vampire, lol).

I added this to my wishlist on BN.com, thanks for the suggestion! :drinker:

Sure thing. It's a really good book.

Currently re-reading The Tenant Of Wildfell Hall by Anne Bronte. I have an obsession with the Brontes and Jane Austen, lol. :blushing:
  • Yurippe
    Yurippe Posts: 850 Member
    I just finished Shutter Island by Dennis Lehane. Excited to see how they did the movie.

About half way through Mystic River by the same author. About 20 minutes into the book I thought to myself, "I've seen this movie!" Luckily I don't remember how it ends.

I thought it funny that an author I'd never heard of has at least two of his books made into movies. Have I been living under a rock?

Did a quick yahoo search on him and found another book that he wrote (Gone, Baby, Gone) was also made into a movie. I'll have to check that out next.
  • Nina74
    Nina74 Posts: 470 Member
    "The Blind Assassin" by Margaret Atwood. Just finished her "The Robber Bride" and loved it, but I am a bit of an Atwood fan.

This is in my pile of books. Can't wait to start it! LOOOVED "Handmaid's Tale"
  • cmw72
    cmw72 Posts: 390 Member
    I started reading the Girl With The Dragon Tattoo over the weekend.

So far I'm enjoying it.
  • TheMaidOfAstolat
    TheMaidOfAstolat Posts: 3,222 Member
    I finished my Bronte spree. My daughter and I watched Inkheart over the weekend and it's one of the few books turned into movies where I hadn't read the book first...so I decided to read the novel. I'm almost done with it and the move did at least stick to the main points but as always due to time constraints and script writing, some stuff had to be left out. But the novel is quite well written and very imaginative.
  • dmvbnoslo
    dmvbnoslo Posts: 213 Member
    My 9 year old is enjoying the "Legend of the Guardians" series... I am hoping to get a chance to read them, as well.
  • July24Lioness
    July24Lioness Posts: 2,399 Member
    I just got Fats are Good For You and Other Secrets by Jon kabara in the mail yesterday and started reading it last night.

Other than that I like to read True Stories and anything about natural living and Naturopathic medicine.
  • mommared53
    mommared53 Posts: 9,543 Member
    I just received "The Overton Window" by Glenn Beck. I ordered it from E-Bay. I'm going to read it then go back to "Heaven" by Tim Lahaye.
  • I love the author Jodi Picoult and just recently finished her novel House Rules. It was a great murder mystery that included a lot of information about what it is like to live with Asperger's.
  • Christopher Moore's Bite Me, A Love Story. Third in a tongue-in-cheek vampire series centered in San Francisco. I recommend most of his books, but his humor is not universal.
  • jez838
    jez838 Posts: 216
    I just finished The Hollow by Jessica Veriday. Its based on the Legend of Sleepy Hollow. It was okay but the twist was a bit obvious.
    I'm also reading Sebastian by Anne Bishop. Its not as good as her other books.
    I'm also reading Dead in the Family by Charlaine Harris.
  • Behavior_Modification
    Behavior_Modification Posts: 24,482 Member
    Susan Powter's The Politics of Stupid
  • jbwegner
    jbwegner Posts: 254 Member
    Christopher Moore's Bite Me, A Love Story. Third in a tongue-in-cheek vampire series centered in San Francisco. I recommend most of his books, but his humor is not universal.

I adore Christopher Moore! His Lamb: The Gospel According to Biff Christ's Childhood Friend is one of my all-time favorites!

I just finished the 5th Sookie Stackhouse novel. I am about to start The Girl with the Dragon Tatoo.
  • Fat Chance by Julie Hadden. Girl that was on the biggest loser tells her story of going on the show and keeping the weight off afterwards. Good book!
  • Right now, I'm reading "Dear Nobody" by Berlie Doherty, it's about a teenage girl who finds out she's pregnant, the book is set in "months" for chapters, somewhat long chapters, but it's a nice little book to read, (bout 150 pages) it's a teen novel, but I'm 20 years old and find it very well written, :) the story goes through each month, and she writes letters to "dear nobody" her unborn baby, anyways, it shares what she's going through, (thoughts, views) etc, as well as what her boyfriend is going through.
    I definitely recommend the book! ^^
  • flwyland
    flwyland Posts: 142
    "The True Story of Hansel and Gretel" by Louise Murphy. It's set in WWII in Europe. The story of the survival of two Jewish children. I'm only 35 pages into it (it's 287 pages long) and I'm hooked on their tale.
This discussion has been closed.