Grocery Store Snob??

Options

Replies

• 5ftnFun
    5ftnFun Posts: 948 Member
    Options
    I work in a grocery store, and a good way to make time pass faster when cashiering AND a good way to make me more motivated to work out or buy healthier stuff myself is beep MOUNTAINS of ice cream, frozen pizzas, pop, beer etc., see how chubby the people buying them are and just feel grossed out by the amount of junk going through my hands. I never say anything to a customer, of course.

I don't think I've ever felt so bad about other people's choices (in general, it's their choices, not mine) than last weekend, when a very high-ranking politician whose area of responsibility is health care came to my cashier line and bought 4 frozen pizzas and 3 packs of ice cream, plus some chocolate and candy. Although she is a skinny/normal-sized lady who looks healthy (and usually buys healthier stuff, she's a regular) and I get that sometimes you just want junk food, thinking she's responsible for health care development and eating/binging that did not make me feel good.

Why would you assume she was binging? Sounds like a party in the making to me.
  • SuzyLy
    SuzyLy Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    My latest thing is trying to decide if some of the things they are buying are imported -- and more recently what is non-GMO. It's not tough enough to be buying healthy but adding that into the mix . . . & seeing if maybe next time I should be buying something that they have in their carts.
  • hannakengu
    hannakengu Posts: 79 Member
    Options

I don't think I've ever felt so bad about other people's choices (in general, it's their choices, not mine) than last weekend, when a very high-ranking politician whose area of responsibility is health care came to my cashier line and bought 4 frozen pizzas and 3 packs of ice cream, plus some chocolate and candy. Although she is a skinny/normal-sized lady who looks healthy (and usually buys healthier stuff, she's a regular) and I get that sometimes you just want junk food, thinking she's responsible for health care development and eating/binging that did not make me feel good.

Could have been a kids birthday?

She doesn't have kids... That would have made sense though!
  • dfonte
    dfonte Posts: 263 Member
    Options
    "I work in a grocery store, and a good way to make time pass faster when cashiering AND a good way to make me more motivated to work out or buy healthier stuff myself is beep MOUNTAINS of ice cream, frozen pizzas, pop, beer etc., see how chubby the people buying them are and just feel grossed out by the amount of junk going through my hands. I never say anything to a customer, of course. "

That's a ****ed up thing to say
  • chunkydunk714
    chunkydunk714 Posts: 784 Member
    Options
    Its just as bad as someone ordering a double cheeseburger, large fry and then a DIET COKE!! uGH.....:smile:

I've never understood this logic. Not ordering this meal, but why people thik there is something wrong with it. Ordering the diet drink with that meal saved 100-300 calories, depending on the size of the drink. Since when is saving calories a bad thing?

Yup....
  • carolynhart01
    carolynhart01 Posts: 73 Member
    Options

This makes no sense. What makes you think your children will starve if you feed them healthy food?

My son is super picky... he has missed a few dinners in his short lifetime but he's never missed a healthy breakfast and his lunch box is usually empty. Most of the time he will eat dinners I prepare and if not, no sweat. Be hungry for tonight. He will be starved for nutrients for the rest of his life if I feed him what he wants to eat, better he go without for the day instead.

What? Please tell me this is a sarcastic comment.

No it isn't . If my son misses a meal I don't sweat it. He will eat at the next meal. Missing a meal isn't a big deal.

My son has sat at the table for 2.5 hours before while we reheated the same green beans.
  • hannakengu
    hannakengu Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    I work in a grocery store, and a good way to make time pass faster when cashiering AND a good way to make me more motivated to work out or buy healthier stuff myself is beep MOUNTAINS of ice cream, frozen pizzas, pop, beer etc., see how chubby the people buying them are and just feel grossed out by the amount of junk going through my hands. I never say anything to a customer, of course.

Yeah, it would sound like that to me as well - any other time than when this happened, which was Sunday afternoon. Oh well, it's really not my thing to criticise her too much since like I said, she does normally buy the healthy stuff and everybody gets that craving sometimes. I just felt sooo grossed out at the moment. Plus, she's nice to the store staff which always scores extra points from me.
  • chocl8girl
    chocl8girl Posts: 1,968 Member
    Options
    I don't think I have ever once thought about what other people buy/eat. Not my business.
  • mrswaite08
    mrswaite08 Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    Children will NOT starve themselves (excluding those with medical conditions of course) and eventually will eat. I will be damned if my girls become overweight because I've fed them crap for my convenience. If I can teach them anything at all, it is that they are to take care of their bodies properly via nutrition and activity. I can only hope they learn by the example of my struggle with obesity and never do to their bodies what I have done to mine.

Nothing makes me more sad then overweight children.
  • SweetestLibby
    SweetestLibby Posts: 607 Member
    Options

This makes no sense. What makes you think your children will starve if you feed them healthy food?

My son is super picky... he has missed a few dinners in his short lifetime but he's never missed a healthy breakfast and his lunch box is usually empty. Most of the time he will eat dinners I prepare and if not, no sweat. Be hungry for tonight. He will be starved for nutrients for the rest of his life if I feed him what he wants to eat, better he go without for the day instead.

No it isn't . If my son misses a meal I don't sweat it. He will eat at the next meal. Missing a meal isn't a big deal.

My son has sat at the table for 2.5 hours before while we reheated the same green beans.

My mom did this when I was a kid...hated lima beans, carrots, and peas. I sat at the table until bed time...but those same vegetables where waiting for me at breakfast the next morning.

I'm almost 26 now and I'll eat just about ANY vegetables now! ...except okra. that you can keep.
  • carolynhart01
    Options
    Children will NOT starve themselves (excluding those with medical conditions of course) and eventually will eat. I will be damned if my girls become overweight because I've fed them crap for my convenience. If I can teach them anything at all, it is that they are to take care of their bodies properly via nutrition and activity. I can only hope they learn by the example of my struggle with obesity and never do to their bodies what I have done to mine.

I have been fighting to find a polite way to say this
  • 5ftnFun
    5ftnFun Posts: 948 Member
    Options

Yeah, it would sound like that to me as well - any other time than when this happened, which was Sunday afternoon. Oh well, it's really not my thing to criticise her too much since like I said, she does normally buy the healthy stuff and everybody gets that craving sometimes. I just felt sooo grossed out at the moment. Plus, she's nice to the store staff which always scores extra points from me.

Sunday afternoon? Sports on TV with neighbors, watching a movie at home with friends/family, Bible study, child's party...so many possibilities. I still don't get the assumption that she is a binger right off the bat like that.
  • Rgon1102
    Rgon1102 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I don't really check out other people's carts, but if I go shopping with the hubby, my cart must look very confusing. You'll see healthier items like organic produce, organic lean meat, nuts etc (my picks) and super unhealthhy stuff like frozen breakfast sandwiches and oreos (the hubby).
  • AllAboutThatTreble
    AllAboutThatTreble Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    I don't really, but after reading this I guess I'll be more aware that someone might be judging me for the ice cream & diet soda I'm buying and feeling smug, without them knowing that I buy 90% of my fruits and veggies at the farmer's market.

Still gonna keep buying ice cream & diet soda though.
  • concordancia
    concordancia Posts: 5,320 Member
    Options

I had to eat the peas cold.

However, my understanding of the literature is that it is indeed best to let them go without until they are hungry enough to decide to eat what you are offering. There are obvious exceptions to this, such as failure to thrive children, but it tends to be the recommended strategy these days and it pretty much coincides with the general habits of the naturally thin adults.
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options

So what makes you fat, the food choices or an overall caloric surplus, regardless of food choices?
  • luckyshilling
    Options
    I am only about 2 weeks into this and all 4 times I have been to the store the cashier (different person each time) has asked me "Starting a diet?"
    So, cuz I am visablely fluffy and buying awesome healthy food with no junk I must be starting a 'diet'.
    I guess I am, but still, I am so focused on changing my lifestyle and not 'dieting' it annoys me. Besides that I enjoy the foods I'm eating, why are bell pepper strips and hummus 'diet' food? I think they are tasty, period, diet or no.

Sorry, I got my rant on.:grumble:
  • carolynhart01
    Options
    I am only about 2 weeks into this and all 4 times I have been to the store the cashier (different person each time) has asked me "Starting a diet?"
    So, cuz I am visablely fluffy and buying awesome healthy food with no junk I must be starting a 'diet'.
    I guess I am, but still, I am so focused on changing my lifestyle and not 'dieting' it annoys me. Besides that I enjoy the foods I'm eating, why are bell pepper strips and hummus 'diet' food? I think they are tasty, period, diet or no.

Sorry, I got my rant on.:grumble:

Tell them you got a rabbit... And good for you! Mmmmm hummus!
  • dawningr
    dawningr Posts: 387 Member
    Options
    im opposite. i feel like and have actually had people comment on my cart full of veggies and fruit and protein bars so i prefer to hit self checkout

Same here... or the cashier "oh! someone's eating healthy.. " In the same tone you'd talk to a child.

Self checkout for me too.
  • 2FatToRun
    2FatToRun Posts: 810 Member
    Options
    :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

This topic is hilarious. I always look at their stuff as they check out and think how the hell are they not as fat as me? Or if they are fat I think.....ugh so glad that's not me any more. One time I caught a thin woman who had almost the same stuff I had in my cart look at me and I can only assume she was thinking............how is that lady so fat? She must be the maid shopping for the ppl she works for. :laugh: I am mexican, it happens. So this all being said

STOP! You dont know if that is even their food or their situation. If you have to know make a game of it and ask the person.If you were right you get a treat after dinner that night :love: I would have very much appreciated if she would have started a convo or just asked me.