Milk

Options

Replies

• RllyGudTweetr
    RllyGudTweetr Posts: 2,019 Member
    Options
    used to drink skim, but switched over to unsweetened almond milk....and I'm never going back.

What are the advantages of unsweetened almond milk? It comes up a lot in fitness friendly recipies.

Only 30 calories per cup. It's just almond flavored water with calcium added. Very little other nutrition.

Then what is the point in drinking it? Milk has so much more good stuff for you.
    Some of us don't digest cow's milk so well anymore. That's my main reason, really.
  • suznut8
    suznut8 Posts: 28
    Options
    Raw milk all the way!
  • jsd_135
    jsd_135 Posts: 291 Member
    Options
    I still can't understand why we drink another animals milk. Cows don't drink cows milk once they are weaned. The whole thing boggles my mind. Good marketing dairy industry.

Humans have been drinking cow's milk eons longer than there has been a "dairy industry." I can understand why people drink it: It tastes good and provides a lot of basic nutrition. People around the world drink all kinds of animal milk, not just cow: horse, goat, sheep, camel. It's really a first world luxury to make a fuss about it.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    I still can't understand why we drink another animals milk. Cows don't drink cows milk once they are weaned. The whole thing boggles my mind. Good marketing dairy industry.

Humans have been drinking cow's milk eons longer than there has been a "dairy industry." I can understand why people drink it: It tastes good and provides a lot of basic nutrition. People around the world drink all kinds of animal milk, not just cow: horse, goat, sheep, camel. It's really a first world luxury to make a fuss about it.

QFT
  • Dulcemami4ever
    Dulcemami4ever Posts: 344 Member
    Options
    I like 1 or 2% :)
  • DBubbs
    DBubbs Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    Unsweetened almond milk.
  • jsd_135
    Options
    I PREFER fat free. But I heard recently that everything under whole milk will have aspertame added to it. ?? I'm looking more into it and if that's the case we will be getting our milk from a dairy, going whole only or almond milk...

I've seen this in a few places. Not true. IIRC, the background to this is: Some producers apparently want to market a lower calorie flavored milk, using aspertame. The current regulations governing milk do not allow adding artificial sweeteners to any product sold as "milk" (e.g., chocolate milk). To sell your lower calorie chocolate, strawberry, or vanilla "milk," you can't call it milk; instead it has to be called something like "dairy beverage." Those who want to change the regulation are seeking to be able to call their product "_____ milk."

I read about this in Slate or the NYTimes a few months ago, so my recall about it may not be perfect.
  • simplynaturalfarm
    simplynaturalfarm Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    You should tell my 3 year old weaned but nursing steers they they have "stopped drinking milk" from their Moms. . . .
    And how about the 3 pigs that figured out how to nurse off my BIL's Jersey and keep her dry, then she adopted them and would go after anybody who was too close to her pig babies. . . and the cats nursing off the dog (hey, they know it tastes good!). . . .oh, and the chickens absolutely thriving on their buckets of milk (try keeping them out of it!). . .
    Whole raw grassfed milk I milk myself the whole way. I also drink cream, cook everything in homemade ghee and lard, make homemade icecream every Friday and have lost 20lbs since March1st.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Options
    I PREFER fat free. But I heard recently that everything under whole milk will have aspertame added to it. ?? I'm looking more into it and if that's the case we will be getting our milk from a dairy, going whole only or almond milk...

I've seen this in a few places. Not true. IIRC, the background to this is: Some producers apparently want to market a lower calorie flavored milk, using aspertame. The current regulations governing milk do not allow adding artificial sweeteners to any product sold as "milk" (e.g., chocolate milk). To sell your lower calorie chocolate, strawberry, or vanilla "milk," you can't call it milk; instead it has to be called something like "dairy beverage." Those who want to change the regulation are seeking to be able to call their product "_____ milk."

I read about this in Slate or the NYTimes a few months ago, so my recall about it may not be perfect.

That basically sums it up.
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 9,925 Member
    Options

Can't blame them really. To market milk where the lactose is removed ( I suspect) and a sweetener added has got be like winning the lottery.......
  • RhineDHP
    RhineDHP Posts: 1,025 Member
    Options
    1% or 2%...What's your opinion and why? Growing up we always drank Fat Free, now I drink 1% most of the time and sometimes 2%.

Asks a legit innocent question. Devolves into

RAWR DON'T DRINK MILK vs RAWR DRINK MILK.

Never fails, everytime.
  • Chrissy292018
    Chrissy292018 Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    We drink 2% but I have been told by my childrens pediatrition skim milk is the best choice due to hormones in the milk from the pregnant cows. That will probably change a couple years from now though...
  • jsd_135
    Options

Can't blame them really. To market milk where the lactose is removed ( I suspect) and a sweetener added has got be like winning the lottery.......

I'm not sure they're seeking to remove lactose and replace it with artificial sweetener. I think they just want to add the artifical sweetener, along with the chocolate/vanilla/strawberry flavoring, and then call it "reduced calorie (or low calorie) chocolate/vanilla/strawberry milk." The calorie profile would then be similar to regular white milk. In other words, I don't think they're aiming to market a lower calorie white milk by replacing lactose with NutraSweet (gross). I could be wrong.
  • aimforhealthy
    aimforhealthy Posts: 449 Member
    Options
    1% or 2%...What's your opinion and why? Growing up we always drank Fat Free, now I drink 1% most of the time and sometimes 2%.

Asks a legit innocent question. Devolves into

RAWR DON'T DRINK MILK vs RAWR DRINK MILK.

Never fails, everytime.

This exactly. Knew it the moment I saw this thread had 12 pages. Also should have known better than to ask an innocent question in my own thread. People love wank and the Internet is populated by blowhards, it's just a basic fact of life these days :)
  • Sarauk2sf
    Options

It would definitely help my macros when cutting.
  • bearwith
    bearwith Posts: 525 Member
    Options
    Fat free has been processed so much that there is very little goodness in it. No vitamin D or E - these are vital for your bones and skin. Do not cut out the healthy stuff as you will find that your skins, nails, teeth and bones will suffer as well as your hair sheen.
  • ergumm
    ergumm Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    Been consuming organic 2%, mostly for the extra CLA for the last 5 yrs or so switching to organic goat milk periodically. Preference should be the key reason imo. Not a fan of 0 fat, nor would I serve it to anyone because of the milk powders used for taste and viscosity,

I am curious..what does goat milk taste like? Anything like cow milk? My husband wants to get goats for milk. I know that when I was born, I had asthma really bad and the doctor had my parents put me on goats milk. Don't understand why...
  • beckizzle
    beckizzle Posts: 118 Member
    Options
    Cow milk is gross... it's food for a baby calf, not people. We stop babies using breast milk at 6-8 months old. So why would anyone switch to cow breast milk???
  • Sarauk2sf
    Options
    Been consuming organic 2%, mostly for the extra CLA for the last 5 yrs or so switching to organic goat milk periodically. Preference should be the key reason imo. Not a fan of 0 fat, nor would I serve it to anyone because of the milk powders used for taste and viscosity,

I am curious..what does goat milk taste like? Anything like cow milk? My husband wants to get goats for milk. I know that when I was born, I had asthma really bad and the doctor had my parents put me on goats milk. Don't understand why...

Goat's milk is less allergenic and easier for people with lactose sensitivity to digest. It has less casein and less lactose than cow's milk.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Options
    Cow milk is gross... it's food for a baby calf, not people. We stop babies using breast milk at 6-8 months old. So why would anyone switch to cow breast milk???

*sigh........