Half marathon - Support and Motivation!

Options

Replies

• pinbotchick
    pinbotchick Posts: 3,904
    Options
    Who's bright idea was this to train for the 1/2 marathon... Well that's what I thought as I dragged my tush out of bed at 6 to run this morning. Bleary eyed I ran and took my first tumble on the damn seismic cable (*grumbles*) - you'd think I'd see those bright orange signs warning me to beware. Don't worry - no injuries but did scrape my knee (*sighs*). I got right up and kept running. Now that the 5 mile run is done in 67 min (13:40 pace), I feel great!!! Running is better than any drug around. My body feels great now - bring on the day.

Saturday will be a challenge - my first 7 mile run. I'll let you know how it goes.
  • LHuffman24
    LHuffman24 Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    Joining in;) I am going to do the Disney Wine & Dine 1/2 marathon in Oct! It will be here before I know it. First, let me say - I am so not a runner. I've done 3 1/2 marathons before in Disney with Team in Training. I walked all of them but never was really fit while participating in them.
    This time around I've committed to lose the weight and get fit. I actually jogged a mile straight last week at 5mph and was thrilled;) I can walk a pretty good pace right now at 4.6mph. My goal is to lose 20 more lbs by then and be close to goal weight. I would also love to jog/walk it this time around.
    Hoping to stay motivated with y'all!!

My first half marathon was through Team in Training too! I found it really inspiring, and I really liked having a "coach" and other people to run with. I'm thinking about joining up with TNT again next year for another race (maybe Alaska!) unless something else comes up.
  • lisajuly
    lisajuly Posts: 240 Member
    Options
    Morning ladies!

5.55 mi run at 10:20 pace.

Pinbot, glad you didn't hurt yourself from your fall. Good job getting back up and finishing your run! :flowerforyou: And i'm a HUGE fan of the foam roller! I truly believe every runner should have one, especially to use on your ITB.
  • akasullengal
    akasullengal Posts: 1,499 Member
    Options
    Who's bright idea was this to train for the 1/2 marathon... Well that's what I thought as I dragged my tush out of bed at 6 to run this morning. Bleary eyed I ran and took my first tumble on the damn seismic cable (*grumbles*) - you'd think I'd see those bright orange signs warning me to beware. Don't worry - no injuries but did scrape my knee (*sighs*). I got right up and kept running. Now that the 5 mile run is done in 67 min (13:40 pace), I feel great!!! Running is better than any drug around. My body feels great now - bring on the day.

Saturday will be a challenge - my first 7 mile run. I'll let you know how it goes.

Yay for a morning run! 5 miles won't happen for me until next week- and that's the long run, so super impressed with your distance and time. Remember, I took a nosedive a couple of weeks ago. I'm glad you're okay. More than anything, it's just the shame. At least you tripped over a cable. I have no idea what I tripped over! haha.

Ended up doing the stationary bike at the gym instead of the elliptical yesterday for crosstraining. Did it for an hour- 13.0 miles. Got up before work this morning. It's super painful, but I try to think that it's always painful to get up, so I should just get up and do it. Ran 3.1 miles in 37 minutes (11:52 pace). I'll take it. Hope everyone is doing well!
  • Iffer75
    Iffer75 Posts: 2,817 Member
    Options
    Day off from running today. I've been trying to do yoga a couple of times a week since I've been running a bit more, so I did Bryan Kest's Power Yoga 1 today. Later tonight involves obtaining and getting back to my house a refrigerator.

Yoga will help you in so many ways. Keep up the great work. :bigsmile:
  • Iffer75
    Options
    Joining in;) I am going to do the Disney Wine & Dine 1/2 marathon in Oct! It will be here before I know it. First, let me say - I am so not a runner. I've done 3 1/2 marathons before in Disney with Team in Training. I walked all of them but never was really fit while participating in them.
    This time around I've committed to lose the weight and get fit. I actually jogged a mile straight last week at 5mph and was thrilled;) I can walk a pretty good pace right now at 4.6mph. My goal is to lose 20 more lbs by then and be close to goal weight. I would also love to jog/walk it this time around.
    Hoping to stay motivated with y'all!!

Welcome, glad you are here with us. Are you going to do a training program for this next HM? I know it will help you tremendously if you do that. Congrats on finishing 3 other HM's. You have done an amazing job so far. Keep up the great work. :bigsmile:
  • Iffer75
    Options
    I'm glad you were able to make the run. What kind of insoles are you using? I need more bounce. Keep up with the stretches. Have you tried stretches with a foam roller? I've been a therapist 20 years and just discovered foam rollers in the last 2 months. My patients love them. They hurt like all get out but really stretch the muscles!!!

I got these insoles from Best Insoles. They are runner/walker insoles. I also have the original soles in the shoes as well. I think that is why my shins are hurting. Having both insoles in at the same time. Makes the shoe seem smaller and tighter.

I have not heard of Foam Rollers. So no I have not used them. I just do a standing pushup and shin stretches and they seem to work. I really have not had any pain this week in my achillies and that is a wonderful feeling. :bigsmile:
  • Iffer75
    Options
    Hi I am wanting to do a 10 mile run at end of August not sure if I can train that quickly. I have done mostly 5k races I did do a 10k race about month ago kicked my butt haven't been able to get back up to that far of a run since. Of course I took 2 weeks off of running and working out not long after that do to a family emergency. So do you think it's possible for me to do a 10 mile run by end of August. I did do 4 miles the other day had to stop and walk a couple of times but made it. I would also love to do a half marathon this fall I figure if I can make it to 10 miles I can make a half marathon. I guess I need motivation and a good training system to stick with

Find a training program that you can benefit from. Don't go overboard and hurt yourself. I would just google 10 mile run training and see what you can find. You can even just do a HM training program and you will be on your way to a HM. You can do it. Keep us updated on how you are doing. :bigsmile:
  • lizmichele
    lizmichele Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    DETROIT HALF MARATHON RUNNERS! We are going to rock it in October. Started my training as well this week, will be my 3rd half and 2nd time in Detroit. I am hoping to shave off some time and hit all of my training goals. I am swapping today for Friday, 3 miles and Strength tomorrow, resting today.

What is everyone's time goal?

Detroit is a great race!
  • Iffer75
    Options

Glad you didn't get seriously injured. You are doing AWESOME, keep up the great work. :bigsmile:
  • Iffer75
    Options
    Morning ladies!

5.55 mi run at 10:20 pace.

Great job!!! :bigsmile:
  • Iffer75
    Options
    Ended up doing the stationary bike at the gym instead of the elliptical yesterday for crosstraining. Did it for an hour- 13.0 miles. Got up before work this morning. It's super painful, but I try to think that it's always painful to get up, so I should just get up and do it. Ran 3.1 miles in 37 minutes (11:52 pace). I'll take it. Hope everyone is doing well!

Keep up the AWESOME work. :bigsmile:
  • akasullengal
    akasullengal Posts: 1,499 Member
    Options
    DETROIT HALF MARATHON RUNNERS! We are going to rock it in October. Started my training as well this week, will be my 3rd half and 2nd time in Detroit. I am hoping to shave off some time and hit all of my training goals. I am swapping today for Friday, 3 miles and Strength tomorrow, resting today.

Detroit is a great race!

Oooh! Another Detroiter. I don't have a time goal, as this is my first half. I just want to finish it and be able to do the distance. How's the race, overall, as a veteran runner in it?
  • Natalie43
    Natalie43 Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    Good luck with your training, I'm working towards a half-marathon in September. I've got a 10 mile run tomorrow which i'm dreading so wish me luck :smile:
  • LHuffman24
    LHuffman24 Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    Good luck with your training, I'm working towards a half-marathon in September. I've got a 10 mile run tomorrow which i'm dreading so wish me luck :smile:

Go Natalie! I hope you live somewhere nice and cool!
  • pinbotchick
    Options
    Here are some links to foam roller and stretching exercises...

Make sure to get the 24" long roller. Amazon has them for less than $20.

http://www.physioadvisor.com.au/11088750/foam-roller-exercises-foam-rollers-physioadvis.htm

http://www.physioadvisor.com.au/11044636/foam-roller-exercises-lower-body-physioadvisor.htm

For runners hip flexor, ITB, hamstring, and anterior tib are the most important to stretch. I generally spend 10 min or so stretching after my long runs and stretch my entire lower body.
  • pinbotchick
    Options

Good luck!!!!! :flowerforyou: I have several more weeks before 10 miles comes into play (*wipes sweat off forehead*)
  • pinbotchick
    Options

Detroit is a great race!

My goal is to not get swept up by the sweepers!!! I just want to finish even if I have to walk. This is my first 1/2 marathon. I just started running in Nov '09.

Do you live in Michigan too? I live 4.5 hours north of Detroit (up near Mackinaw). To prep myself for the bridge run (*I'm so not a fan of heights*), I will be walking the Mackinaw Bridge over Labor Day weekend.

I've only run 2 5Ks and 1 self made 10K. I just learned that my home town is having a 5/10K race Labor Day weekend so I'll run that. Hint - Hint Kristina - If you need a prep race and a vacation with tons of exercise:wink:
  • Iffer75
    Options

Try not to go in it dreading it right away. I am sure you have worked up to it and your body is ready. Just take one step at at time and try to enjoy it. :bigsmile:
  • Iffer75
    Options
    My goal is to not get swept up by the sweepers!!! I just want to finish even if I have to walk. This is my first 1/2 marathon. I just started running in Nov '09.

Do you live in Michigan too? I live 4.5 hours north of Detroit (up near Mackinaw). To prep myself for the bridge run (*I'm so not a fan of heights*), I will be walking the Mackinaw Bridge over Labor Day weekend.

I've only run 2 5Ks and 1 self made 10K. I just learned that my home town is having a 5/10K race Labor Day weekend so I'll run that. Hint - Hint Kristina - If you need a prep race and a vacation with tons of exercise:wink:

I giggled a little reading your post. :wink:

I started around October '09 myself, so we are pretty much in the same boat. I swore that my body was not made for running and look I am training for a HM. It is amazing what we can do when we put our mind into it. I know you can do this, keep up the awesome work. :bigsmile: