Ketogenic Diet

Options
I've recently stumbled up the Ketogenic Diet, and I kinda understand the science behind it. Anyone Currently doing this diet or have done it in the past that can shed some light? Please add me as a friend, so that I can look at your diaries. Thanks!

Replies

• Carnivor0us
    Carnivor0us Posts: 1,752 Member
    Options
    I've recently stumbled up the Ketogenic Diet, and I kinda understand the science behind it. Anyone Currently doing this diet or have done it in the past that can shed some light? Please add me as a friend, so that I can look at your diaries. Thanks!

You may friend me if you'd like. :) I strive to go ketogenic, and I usually hit that mark. Feel free to look in my diary. I'll bet albertabeefy will show up and give you loads of information, you should friend him too. :)
  • CoachColin
    Options
    Stumbled upon? Kid I told you about it haha.
  • laurenbrooke79
    laurenbrooke79 Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    what is it??
  • Laurelthequeen
    Options
    I did it. It was effective. I wasn't hungry, ate all sorts of insane things and lost weight. Went off it for a month and gained 17 of 22lbs back.

Doing a clean-eating lower animal protein, slightly higher carb version of it this time around. Losing weight much slower.
  • albertabeefy
    albertabeefy Posts: 1,169 Member
    Options
    A "ketogenic diet" is simply one marked by the presence of ketones in the bloodstream, and usually urine.

It is characterized by low-carbohydrate, and from a medical/weight-loss standpoint is usually a ratio of UNDER 10% calories from carbohydrate, MORE THAN 65% calories from fat, and moderate protein.

To actually enter ketosis many experts recommend a ratio of 5% carbohydrate, 75% fat and 20% protein, and this works extremely well for most people. As a 'general guideline' that's typically around 20-30g of carbohydrate per day depending on the person.

The benefits of a ketogenic diet come for ANYONE with epilepsy (helps control seizures), diabetes (regardless of Type 1 or 2, it dramatically lowers and controls blood glucose) as well as for anyone with any insulin-resistance as a result of PCOS, metabolic-syndrome, pre-diabetes, Hashimoto's thyroiditis or being morbidly obese.

The benefits for fat-loss come once a person becomes keto-adapted. Being keto-adapted means you've undergone a metabolic 'shift' that changes you from primarily utilizing glucose (to fuel cellular respiration) to utilizing fatty-acids and ketones for cellular respiration. IE: the shift changes you from burning carbohydrates to burning body-fat/ketones.

To become fully keto-adaptated can take a little while... I won't go into the full details, you can read more here: http://www.ketotic.org/2012/05/keto-adaptation-what-it-is-and-how-to.html ... scroll down to the section heading "What exactly happens during keto-adaptation?" to read up on it more.

If you've got questions, feel free to message and/or friend me.

BTW many suggest it's "not sustainable", yet I've been ketogenic for about 2 1/2 years now myself, and I personally know people who've been ketogenic since 1999.
  • sweetiecorn
    sweetiecorn Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    I started off keto for around 5 months but found it really hard to maintain. Now I just low carb-high fat and weight loss is slow by steady.
  • albertabeefy
    Options
    I did it. It was effective. I wasn't hungry, ate all sorts of insane things and lost weight. Went off it for a month and gained 17 of 22lbs back.
    This is common if people simultaneously increase calories to "maintenance" while also increasing carbohydrate due to the excessive insulin that enters the system in addition to more calories.

Also of note several pounds of it will be water, as your glycogen stores are refilled.

It's best when finishing a ketogenic diet to re-introduce carbohydrate VERY gradually... perhaps adding about 20g back each week and monitoring how you do from week to week, and adding calories back slowly as well.

To suddenly go from 50g of carbohydrate a day to 200g while also adding in 500kcal extra is a recipe for weight-gain.
  • FredDoyle
    FredDoyle Posts: 2,273 Member
    Options
    Stumbled upon? Kid I told you about it haha.
    Was it a coach meeting?
  • albertabeefy
    Options
    I started off keto for around 5 months but found it really hard to maintain. Now I just low carb-high fat and weight loss is slow by steady.
    I often don't recommend it unless you've a true medical/metabolic reason to be ketogenic, simply because many people do find it difficult.

And without a medical reason to be on it, and if you're not morbidly obese, you can usually reap many of the benefits of keto-adaptation simply by eliminating your sources of refined carbohydrate (flours/sugars) and reducing starchy carbs. This makes it much more easy to maintain for most people, but still allows the main benefits of lower-carb eating.
  • RiesigJay
    RiesigJay Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    Sent a friend request.

Here's a really good resource for the ketogenic diet. Includes a list of food that fits well into the CKD.

http://josepharcita.blogspot.com/2011/03/guide-to-ketosis.html
  • IreneAdler221
    IreneAdler221 Posts: 185 Member
    Options
    I lost 45 lbs. on keto. I kept a pretty strict diet, but it worked for me and I never felt deprived or anything. I'm in maintenance now and haven't gained any back, but I keep my carbs under 100 or 20%.
  • CoachTommyB
    Options
    Now I'm curious I do intermitnat fasting. " eating in a winodw of 8 hour or less then fasting for the rest of the day" does this or just fasting in general have the same science applied to the ketogenic Diet.

Thank you everyone for your information you have shared as well as your resources..
  • techrolle
    Options
    I found a pretty good article in the US National library of Medicine that supports the use of long term ketogenic diets. The article references the fact that mainstream medical thought tends to shy away from the high fat proponent, but the article also gives some pretty convincing empirical evidence that the effect of the ketogenic diet on risk factors for heart disease is actually beneficial.

The link for the article is: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2716748/

I should add that I don't follow this diet. I just noticed this thread and it intrigued me, so I thought I might share what I found.
  • DebbieLyn63
    DebbieLyn63 Posts: 2,650 Member
    Options
    I stay around 50%F/30%P/20%C, and my net carbs generally stay between 25-50 g. I don't think I have gone really into Keto, but my weight loss has been fairly steady. I cut out almost all processed sugars and grains, and eat a lot of nuts and other healthy fats. I do eat a lot of fresh non-starch veggies as well.
    I have 2 forms of inflammatory arthritis/autoimmune disorders- mild RA and a severe spinal cord disease- and this way of eating has reduced my pain and inflammation levels tremendously. I also have PCOS and a family history of T2 Diabetes, so the lower carbs have been critical for me.

Because my body loves this way of eating so well, I will continue this for the rest of my life. It truly has brought back a quality of life that I never thought was possible.
  • RiesigJay
    RiesigJay Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    I found a pretty good article in the US National library of Medicine that supports the use of long term ketogenic diets. The article references the fact that mainstream medical thought tends to shy away from the high fat proponent, but the article also gives some pretty convincing empirical evidence that the effect of the ketogenic diet on risk factors for heart disease is actually beneficial.

The link for the article is: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2716748/

I should add that I don't follow this diet. I just noticed this thread and it intrigued me, so I thought I might share what I found.

Awesome, thanks for that link!
  • medic2038
    medic2038 Posts: 434 Member
    Options
    Now I'm curious I do intermitnat fasting. " eating in a winodw of 8 hour or less then fasting for the rest of the day" does this or just fasting in general have the same science applied to the ketogenic Diet.

Thank you everyone for your information you have shared as well as your resources..

Not really, it has more to do with personal preference. Some people might swear by IF but if you look at the data, meal timing/frequency is pretty much irrelevant. Not sure about the rules regarding posting links, but Alan Aragon has some good stuff on all of that.
  • OkieTink
    OkieTink Posts: 285 Member
    Options
    You may friend me if you'd like. :) I strive to go ketogenic, and I usually hit that mark. Feel free to look in my diary. I'll bet albertabeefy will show up and give you loads of information, you should friend him too. :)

I noticed you eat bread...I didn't think grains were allowed?
  • Laurelthequeen
    Options
    This is common if people simultaneously increase calories to "maintenance" while also increasing carbohydrate due to the excessive insulin that enters the system in addition to more calories.

Also of note several pounds of it will be water, as your glycogen stores are refilled.

It's best when finishing a ketogenic diet to re-introduce carbohydrate VERY gradually... perhaps adding about 20g back each week and monitoring how you do from week to week, and adding calories back slowly as well.

To suddenly go from 50g of carbohydrate a day to 200g while also adding in 500kcal extra is a recipe for weight-gain.

I agree. It was a terrible idea. I found it fairly easy to stick to for the most part, but sometimes I just REALLY wanted a brownie or something similar. It wasn't something that I could reliably maintain for the long haul. Since my current diet isn't ketogenic, just lower carb, I don't have the weight of screwing up weeks worth of work if I have pizza and a few beers at my buddy's house, thus I'm more likely to just go back to healthy eating the next day versus "Omg, i better get in the donut, brownies, and a slice of pie since I'm already in screw-up camp!!!" that I had when I'd have a planned "cheat" day.
  • CoachTommyB
    Options

Thanks man for the article and sharing! I noticed this was your first post! Awesome.
  • OkieTink
    OkieTink Posts: 285 Member
    Options

Thanks man for the article and sharing! I noticed this was your first post! Awesome.

Here's another link for you...

http://www.reddit.com/r/keto Lot's of good information there :)